Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

therattle posted:

In a mixer with a dough hook

So that's what that weird useless hook thing is for! :haw:

I never made bread before because it just looks so complicated and I'm just so lazy to knead. My KitchenAid was the best gift ever, and if you're telling me that I can use it to MAKE my bread for me, well then, I've got something to try this weekend!

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

For some reason, I had bread flour on hand, yippee! I open the bag and it had little tiny brown bugs in it.

How about no.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Pookah posted:

I joined the first time challah bakers club yesterday. :)

I'm very pleased with how it came out and also with the amazing french toast you can make out of it that I had for breakfast today.

Wanna eat dat bread. Can you give us/me the recipe? Now I want to try to make it!

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Pookah posted:

Certainly!

I used this one pretty much exactly as it's written there and it came out perfectly as far as I can tell (I've never eaten challah before so I have no real frame of reference).

I HAVE ALL OF THESE INGREDIENTS. I WILL BE BACK IN 3-4 HOURS. :catstare:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Er... is the dough supposed to crumble apart and look like pulled chicken? I'm trying to do the "knead" step and it's just going all over the place. Help?

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Pookah posted:

How long did you beat it for? I left mine in for about half a hour in total just getting hammered by the bread hook and adding the second 4.5 cup of flour in by about 2 tablespoonfuls at a time. It sounds to (my total noob to yeast bread) ears that maybe it hasn't been mixed for long enough to get the gluten all stretchy?

10 minutes, and I added the flour in by cupfuls. I'll throw it back in the bowl and beat it some more.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

therattle posted:

Machine kneading shouldn't take more than 3 minutes or so. Be careful of over-kneading. When you stretch the dough at the beginning and at the end you should be able to discern the difference and the gluten. I'd add the flour pretty quickly so that it all receives a roughly similar kneading time. Are you using a dough hook?

Yes. However, I never got a dough, it just immediately went to pulled-chicken crumbles. Beating it for another half hour juuuust barely let me squish it hardcore into small loaf-shaped lumps that looks like brains. It looks like bread (and brains), it smells like bread, might as well bake it and see what comes out. I'm fully expecting it to just explode and make a mess in the oven, but who knows.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

therattle posted:

Hm. I wonder if there wasn't enough liquid to properly bind it all. Let us know how it turns out!

I followed the recipe, although I could have screwed up copying it down. I doubt it, though.

Anyway, it's out of the oven and... well, it's edible. Dense as hell and crumbles if you even so much as pick it up wrong, but it's edible with a fork...

I think I'll try easier recipes next time. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

mediaphage posted:

You almost certainly didn't have enough water. Is important to remember that unless you weigh everything (and sometimes even then), you can't be certain how much flour you have in a cup, or how wet that flour is. How much water you need can vary between flours and between locations.

So... most recipes are given in cups, not by weight. How do you convert?