Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

BRB MAKIN BACON posted:

Oh poo poo, well now I need to cancel my totally real planned trip to Montana.

There seems to be an incentive for states to do so; Washington's law is going to tax the gently caress out weed.

This could be a lot of money. I'm very interested to see the impact it has on the prison-industrial-governmental complex.

I have no trouble predicting that these laws will loosen up over time. Foot's in the door, and that's what's important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Yeah, I can't imagine the cops will be too happy to lose their favorite magical spell.

It only works if you're a cop, but if you say the incantation, "I smelled marijuana", probable cause for a search and/or entry is conjured from the ether! Remarkable!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Yeah, but that's $600K of resources that can be used for possibly better things than loving people over for using pot.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

People also evade cigarette taxes, so what?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

A hard crackdown would be incredibly stupid on Obama's part. "Thanks for re-electing me, liberal voters! Now off to jail with you!" The GOP didn't manage to kill liberal voter enthusiasm, but Obama certainly might.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

There's tons of places in America where you can't buy any alcohol at all, and others where the hours and days are severely restricted.

Red counties have alcohol sales banned, yellow counties have alcohol sales banned in parts of the county, blue have no bans and gray have no data.

Here in Indiana, we gently caress up a lot of things, but we do alcohol sales quite alright.

We've got some State Senator pushing a weed legalization bill for next session, but it won't pass.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Kemper Boyd posted:

I'd think for most casual users, the main selling point on mass produced weed would be that you could get your hands on it without dealing with potheads. Never mind what it costs, it would be nicely packaged, portioned and sold over a clean counter.

One of the less-acknowledged ill effects of the War on Drugs is that it forces otherwise law-abiding citizens who wouldn't normally have any contact with the criminal underground culture to have that contact if they want weed.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The hypocrisy is so loving infuriating.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I'm kind of amazed at how well the cops have gone along with it. You'd think taking away their favorite magic spell (the incantation is "I smelled pot" and the effect is that you can conjure probable cause from thin air) would be met with more whining.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Kemper Boyd posted:

You know that putting a bunch of sugar, yeast and water in a bucket will give you drinkable if somewhat awful alcohol? That's what we did when we were kids here.

I knew people who would ferment apple cider, but they didn't really know what they were doing so the outcome, while alcoholic, was loving vile.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Is eastern WA the only part you've been to? The state doesn't really listen to the people east of the Cascades.

Isn't that because that's like 20% of the population?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

more friedman units posted:

Getting buzzed off a few beers? ABHORRENT. Drinking too much coffee? ABHORRENT.

This attitude is bizarre.

You know drat well they're okay with caffeine and liquor.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Looks like he got closer to 50 threads before getting probated. Only 8 hours, really?

Mods probate for 6 hours as a placeholder to stop somebody from posting until an admin can approve the ban.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

KingEup posted:

What next legalised Roller Derby and Lacrosse?

Drug warrior logic at its finest. Applied in any other context would get you laughed out of the building.

It's funny how they never come to the only reasonable conclusion for the argument they're making, which is the prohibition of tobacco and alcohol.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

I'm arguing that saying no one should trust doctors because you magically know better is a stupid thing to say, and that's exactly what you were saying.

That isn't what he said at all, and you're fishmeching at a phantom your brain conjured up rather than reading what he's saying.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

KingEup posted:

The [Washington] Post's view:

Yeah, so, the Washington Post editorial team are bunch of morons.

I'd like to say I can't believe that people are still spouting "gateway drug" horseshit, but no, that's absolutely what shitheads believe.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

hangedman1984 posted:

Are then any studies that, instead of looking at how many hard drug users started with pot, looked at how many pot users moved on to harder drugs. It's like blaming video games for violence in kids, when every kid plays video games, saying those that turn violent do too means jack poo poo.

That pot isn't a gateway drug has been known since 1939.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Humphry posted:

I think the negative effects outweigh the medical benefits so I am glad it's an illegal class B drug here in the UK. About 8 months ago I could smell cannabis coming from my neighbours house, he wasn't smoking it he was growing cannabis illegally. His windows where blacked out, I could see condensation on the windows and hear a whirring sound through the walls. He had turned his house into a cannabis farm, well I phoned the police because they dangerously hack the electrical meter for free electricity and it's a fire hazard. And since his house is adjoined to mine then my home is at risk. A few weeks later the he got raided by the police and he is now sitting in prison. The stuff is evil, I wish the penalties where harsher here inline with class A drugs like cocaine or heroin.

Sounds like your beef is with the law, not the plant.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

KingEup posted:

Noted shitlord Kevin Sabet has posted an interview with the current ONDCP drug tsar. It goes something like this:
http://learnaboutsam.org/why-new-white-house-drug-policy-chief-opposes-medical-pot-legalization/

Welp, better ban alcohol again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I wondered what they'd been up to since they stopped making joysticks.

• Locked thread