Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007

the new jazz posted:

There seems to be a decent deal of that in Seattle, as well. Apparently the atmosphere towards the legalization initiative was very hostile at, of all places, Seattle's Hempfest this year.

Weed in Seattle is already cheap, easy to get, and effectively legal (simple possession is the police department's official lowest priority and the city attorney automatically dismisses any charges for it) so I wonder if a combination of complacency among casual smokers and opposition from the medical marijuana industry is going to end up killing this attempt.

The dispensaries and green doctors are fighting it so they can keep their profits on giving anyone with a loving backache a medical authorization.

I don't think that it's a perfect law by any stretch of the imagination but it's a step in the right direction.

If more people were willing to accept an imperfect law, we could work out the kinks later and lay the groundwork for other states to turn the tide against the demonstrable failure of prohibiton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
The federal government will try to stop both Washington and Colorado from implementing their new laws. That's half the point, to show the rest of the states the futility of continuing prohibition in the face of people realizing that marijuana is not some ridiculous evil and that no one needs to be imprisoned for possessing it. I can only hope that we continue the trend nationwide during the next couple of elections until the drug war has ended completely.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
I come bearing what appears to be good news:
http://reason.com/blog/2012/11/14/state-legislators-in-rhode-island-and-ma

I can't help but feel good to see the beginning of the end for prohibition.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
I guess I'm just being super optimistic because I'm already seeing a step in the right direction where I live, and I'm glad to hurriedly include other states into the mix.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Oregon residents are still required to pay sales tax in WA for items that will be consumed in the state of WA, although many retailers are pretty lax about it.

• Locked thread