Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I just read my ballot primer today in complete shock. I hadn't looked too much into it (I'm a reformed smoker, in that, I just moved to Colorado a couple years ago and haven't made the right contacts yet, I swear I become friends with so many Christian Scientists, wtf), but thought it was another weak handed decriminalization type thing.

Imagine my surprise when it outlines the licensing for retail marijuana shops, where you go in with naught but your ID proving your age to buy bud. Holy poo poo.

LP97S posted:

How would the legalization of marijuana affect employment requirements? Could a company still discriminate against anyone who has consumed marijuana while letting people who drink work?

According to my ballot primer, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
My company has heated smoker shacks with benches for the smokers, and we don't do any drug testing. Some cool companies :unsmith:

EDIT:
But what do I reasonably expect? The ATF to basically have paramilitary units blasting into the retail stores to send a message. We'll see though.

Loving Life Partner fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 11, 2012

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
How does that work in the whole federalist system anyway?

I know that federal law trumps state law when there's a conflict like this, but doesn't it then fall on the federal branch to enforce federal law in the absence of state enforcement? Or would, like, the local branch of the FBI or ATF be able to conscript local enforcement agents?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I guess from a profit perspective, it's more beneficial to the fed to swoop in and seize everything in the name of federal law than to let a tax trickle into state coffers and somewhat benefit them at some point in the future.

Is there like a P&L report for the DEA or federal enforcement arms? That poo poo would be fun to look over.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
So is the story about William Randolph Hearst single-handedly getting marijuana criminalized to stifle hemp paper true or what?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I think mostly it's the silliness of the illegality. It's an adult product with a valid base of citizens that want to use and enjoy it legally.

I've drank, and I've done every drug under the sun and there's just no reason for a product like alcohol to be legal when something as mild and inoffensive as bud isn't.

The scariest times of my life have been legally alcohol fueled and semi-socially acceptable (blacking out is HILARIOUS, it has 2 major motion films, meanwhile, it's pretty loving terrifying).

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Ahh noble psilocybin, does nothing but trip people out :unsmith:

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I've never bought into the philosophic conspiracy theories behind drug control, that the state would want to curb people having enlightening and/or mind expanding experiences, but it's a really interesting theory.

Alcohol beloved and socially acceptable, you'll never have an epiphany on alcohol. But try some LSD or shrooms in a small quantity and see if it doesn't make you look at things a little differently at the very least.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Maybe it's just me, but if I can start going to The Weed Store and paying the same price as the street, but knowing that a chunk of it is going to taxes and helping schools? Hell yeah.

gently caress Donnie the Dealer's income.

I think most smokers would be glad to smoke legally AND have the double benefit of paying a tax to a good state initiative rather than supporting a black market.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Colorado legalizes weed!

oh god I'm so sorry, waldon canyon was terrible

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
My company doesn't test, and it's a pretty big one.

I think once you get above jobs with close customer contact and safety concerns, the amount of drug testing drops off.

Although our chairperson is a huge bud proponent, so that helps :420:

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
What I mean is that there's more exposure to liability for a company if you work with the public and you're stoned and let a pile of carts plow into someone's kid. Their insurance can deny their claim or they can get super sued. Accidents are fine, but accidents with stoned employees where insurance claims can be denied can royally gently caress them over.

Believe me in that I understand the beshitted classist aspect of it as well, but I don't think the stated reasons for liability are entirely bullshit.

Loving Life Partner fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 8, 2012

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I don't get the resistance to the assertion.

If marijuana has a full federal legalization go through, who would likely be the first makers of mass produced jazz cigarettes? Phillip Morris or Lorillard, pick one, 99% chance, right?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Lyapunov Unstable posted:

Not sure if this has been posted, but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEkLIlDN3UI

No more arrests in Seattle, and they're dropping prosecution of possession cases.

Wow. That's awesome. gently caress the war on drugs, and gently caress jail time for bud. It'd be amazing if the states erode it from underneath the fed.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Could the Fed like, "poll the nation" during the next Presidential election about marijuana de-scheduling or de-criminalization and make a decision from there? Is it even possible to put something like that on every state ballot?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Warchicken posted:

Second of all, we DO issue opiates all willy-nilly.

Anecdotal:
I was kinda shocked when I had routine wisdom tooth extraction and they gave me an RX for 30 10mg percocet with a refill for 30. I mean the guy almost gave me a wink and finger gun when he did slid the RX over.

I mean I refilled it and spent two of the most happy glorious weeks of my life high and happy as gently caress, but still! At the end of the bottle I was very much taking into consideration what my next steps would be, then I just thought of my dad going through pill withdrawal and that banished the looming spectre.

That poo poo is wild.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
So do we reach a tipping point where the Fed has to bend the knee to the states or can they dig their feet in on this?

I mean they can probably justify it in the short term by whinging about how it affects global drug trade or some other whatever thing.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

The Maroon Hawk posted:

As a lifelong resident/native of Colorado, I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around this. Yes, I know Amendment 64 happened, and yes, I know personal consumption of pot was pretty much effectively legal already (as long as you weren't stupid about it) but the fact that actual retail marijuana stores may become a reality still hasn't sunk in. I guess it probably won't sink in until the minute I first walk into a dispensary. And what a glorious day it will be.

I just moved to CO a few years ago, but it's still really insane to watch elected officials all in suits and ties being stone cold sincere about creating the framework for retail marijuana sales and even going so far as to talk about doing it right to "grow an industry".

It's like some small portion of ignorant idiocy in the universe was banished all of a sudden.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Inspector Hound posted:

I am moving to Colorado in the next few weeks. In the grand tradition of me hilariously blowing job interviews, I asked an HR rep if the mandatory drug test disqualified applicants for marijuana. Her answer was "It's still federally illegal, and I highly recommend that you don't ask that question again." I'd advise everyone to keep treating pot like something shameful and bad for at least a little while longer (Just to save some face, I still have an interview for this job coming up.)

Are you moving to the Springs? Get a job at Progressive, they don't drug test cause the chairman's son is a big pothead :420:

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

tk posted:

Though I'm not sure that Progressive's corporate policies have anything to do with his son's choice of leisure activities, Peter Lewis has donated significant amounts of money to various legalization efforts (amongst other things).

He's a bomb thrower of a chairman. We have guidelines at work to talk about when people call in pissed about him, because he also donates big money to the ACLU (which according to callers I've talked to, is a Nazi organization bent on destroying America).

But yeah, it's a fairly decent mega corp to work for as far as benefits and employee policies go, not the least of which is their drug test policy.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

KingEup posted:

Check out this amazing piece of poo poo that has shown up in the NYTimes: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/21/opinion/marijuana-and-minorities.html?_r=1&

Apparently the black man should be thankful for cannabis prohibition.

it never ceases to amaze me the blindspot people have for issues of class vs issues of race and how they relate to each other (and also maybe don't).

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
While I agree that everybody locked up for non-violent drug offenses should be released, I can just imagine FOX with their CRIME TOLL counter just running the names every day looking for recidivists who maybe escalate their crimes, god forbid a rape or murder occur.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I'm not saying I care that'll happen personally, because I don't and its obviously a non issue, but there are people who do care because they run a national party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Are there any stories of negative events or behaviors occuring where medical marijuana use is robust? Aside from the federal government being lovely and fascist?

• Locked thread