Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
Two 25% taxes are an insignificant expense, compared to the combined margins of the dozen back-market operators that touch your weed on its way to you now. I mean, take some other dried plant that isn't illegal (not saffron; something that can be grown locally and is equally easy to process) and look at how much it costs, and then add 50% to that number. That's slightly lower than the equilibrium price of weed under the new regime. I bet it still isn't nearly as expensive as weed is now. I wish this stupid "tax the gently caress out of it" meme would go away.

Edit: For example, I bought an ounce of dried lavender blossoms at this hippie store for like $5. If it were taxed up to $7.50, that would still be a drat sight cheaper than buying an ounce of weed. You can see local prices for those in High Times magazine. I haven't looked recently, but they're on the order of a few hundred dollars. Even if weed is ten times harder to bring to the customer than lavender blossoms, it's still less than half as expensive on fundamentals, with the tax, than weed is now.

ejstheman fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

cafel posted:

Now I absolutely to refuse that he thought that number was real. No one even vaguely related to drug and enforcement and policy could possibly be suckered in like that, they'd have to be too clueless about basic facts.

He whined about how satire was hard later. He legitimately believed that number until he got called out about it.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
The current version of the DC decrim bill contains an explicit statement that the smell of weed is not PC anymore, and it's very likely to pass, given that the preliminary vote was 11-1 in favor of passing it, and the mayor supports it. Bizarre distortions of police procedure to enforce the unenforceable are one of the biggest negative effects of the drug war, in my opinion, so I'm pretty happy to see fewer idiotic fishing expeditions.

• Locked thread