Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012

Doc V posted:

this early

the general deal seems like the psycho-kinetic whatever team is doing a reasonably normal transforming hero thing with the art projects, and then souya is throwing a wrench in it and doing everything out of order. Like the "he was the weakest among us" gag. So hey, why not fight the boss now, not that it seems to be working.

When he turned out to be a cat I thought it was going to do a zodiac cat deal (the one where the cat isn't in the zodiac because it got tricked or something, and wants revenge), except there aren't enough of them to be the zodiac... except maybe there are. So hey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Yeah, I was initially thinking of the Chinese zodiac too, but there's no bear there, so v:v:v

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
What animal is Miu's supposed to represent, anyways?

Thirty-Five Minutes
Aug 12, 2007
not a republic serial villain

Mordja posted:

What animal is Miu's supposed to represent, anyways?

Inaba Miu pilots the rabbit.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What about the old guy? His looks humanoid.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Electric Phantasm posted:

What about the old guy? His looks humanoid.

This may be better taken up in the anime thread by this point, but he rides a Jomon doll. The Jomon are popularly held to be a sort of mysterious precursor culture within Japan, as they left a dearth of archaeological evidence during the period of their sudden decline following the immigration of the precursors of the modern Japanese from the Korean peninsula. Could be as simple as a "lol hes old" joke, or his inclusion as an active battler may be a suggestion that while he has fathered the next step in human history in the form of the Chairman, he ain't down and out just yet.

Here is a new old oneshot. This is the first to be published in the third collection, Galactic Thunder's Excellent Adventure. Nell The Artist of Shambalya was originally published second but I translated it first because it was a standalone and this one is part of a pseudo mini-series. I present Earth's most powerful weapon, pure shonen power: Ore no Kobushi

(saitama voice) ok

Special message for thread friend Doc V: Thanks for doing the space fish one because jesus christ 74 pages, but just in case you had a mind to go after the rest I should probably mention that I'm quite close to finishing Enigma Viking, and elbow deep in the remaining oneshots from Ginga Thunder. Not that anyone else couldn't do it if they wanted to, obviously! But I promise there are more nearly done!

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Scanlating anything longer than My Road to Mangaka seems highly incompatible with the amount of free time I have these days, so they're all yours :)

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Happy spookmonth, here's another old oneshot translated. This one features the origin story of Ginga Thunder before he was defeated by the quantum punch.

The sound effects on this one were a bitch and a half, especially because the first act is so atmospheric and full of this creeping dread and I wanted to try and get really close to real sounds. The creaking, squealing metal sounds were originally just the sound of "growing bigger", because Japanese has sound effects for actions or states that don't necessarily make actual noise, so I had to exercise some editorial license and imagine what noise it might make. Settled on trying to replicate the sound of slo-o-owly bending one of those retro tin-type robots just a little too far, just before it snaps, a perpetual flex just beyond the limits of what it was built to accommodate. But it doesn't break, does it. It just keeps making that sound. Worse and worse, louder and louder. Like nothing you've ever heard, like nothing that should ever be heard.

anyway, enjoy?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Huh, I think that's the darkest thing I've read from him. Thanks for translating!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What was the story that that was a prequel to, again?

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
19, My Fist. Which I think also has shambhala from 20 in it for a second.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Really should have remembered that, given literally the previous post Epoxy Bulletin had in the thread.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
They were originally published in order of: My Fist, Artist of Shambala, a fourth Monster Town story(English title TBD), and Awakening. The narrative between them is pretty loose, and I ended up translating Shambala first.

There is one more Ginga Thunder story that continues after the events of My Fist, it's confirmed there that the capsule GT coughed up was indeed Shambala.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
double poastin :slick:

Oneshot: Fantastic Eats

This is one of the newer ones, but I liked it a lot so I did it before the other stuff in line. I couldn't decide what accent to give anyone, but Shindoh and his apprentice (unnamed) reminded me of True Grit, so I ended up leaning into the cowboy/desperado vibe

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Continuing to catch up on the old oneshots, here's one more set in Mizukami's Monster Town mini-series: https://mangadex.org/chapter/528930
(Other stories so far have been The Dragon, Thunder Girl, and Hole-head).

Not every star-crossed romance between some dude and a 1,000 year old fox demon in a 10 year old body works out, it seems. :v:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Very cute. How many of these short stories are left, overall?

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Two more by my count, one with a conclusion to the Ginga Thunder giant murder robot story, and one that's another sort of goofy sort of romance one-off.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
then maybe someone will finish the siblings manga and planet with...

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Cruising right along, here's The End of Ginga Thunder's Journey (continuing from My Fist and The Awakening)

Copped kind of a Calvin and Hobbes vibe with this one and rolled with it.

Lot of references to unpack. The technobabble may be a little different but I'm pretty sure the concept behind the ol' dimensional switcheroo is the same thing they eventually pulled with the dragon in Planet With. Then there's the space colony from the Nell story, and the leader, Tetsumaki is presumably the same frog from Geko-Geko, only 1000 years older. There's also what looks like one of the birds from Piyo-Piyo and the Crocodile Brother in the monitor with him. And of course the moon colony and the dragon are probably the same ones who appear in the Monster Town stories. So Ginga Thunder is now incorporated into the larger mizukami-verse, including Sanjin Sadou and Sengoku Youko, as I recall. (The hero Yamanaka is of course, the Man of Legend from another early Mizukami story, and I think Spirit Circle and Biscuit Hammer were implied to take place in their own separate dimensions as well.)

I'd love to try and piece together some kind of character web for the whole mess. :v: Maybe after I finish with the last one-off.

I'll probably leave the Planet With manga alone since we already have the anime. I will get to Wooden Valley at some point, though.

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jan 28, 2019

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Back with another oneshot, a cute little story about personality and identity. Yukika and Touka have similar names, written as "snow flower" and "winter blossom".

This is the last of the outstanding oneshots, as far as I know. :toot:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Cool&Thanks. That was a cute one to go out on.

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
I can't believe I missed that one of these is a Trigun doujin thing. What the heck?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nyah

https://twitter.com/nekogaeru/status/1098076297350152193

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
awesome. that ginga thunder miniseries was uncharacteristically dark

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I just binged Spirit Circle in about a week and a half, and holy gently caress that was amazing. Probably the best, tightest written story I've ever seen in anime or manga. I should go back and read LBH now, I bought the manga a few years ago but never read more than like one volume

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

icantfindaname posted:

I just binged Spirit Circle in about a week and a half, and holy gently caress that was amazing. Probably the best, tightest written story I've ever seen in anime or manga. I should go back and read LBH now, I bought the manga a few years ago but never read more than like one volume

To be fair the start of LBH is slow and rather stereotypical in a lot of bland/bad ways, but once the Dog Knight gets introduced it significantly improves and does so again once the rest of the knights appear en masse.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

icantfindaname posted:

No joke, I literally stopped...somewhere around chapter 16 or 17 of LBH, but there's a specific chapter near there that it picks up and never slows down for almost the entire rest of the series. Definitely keep going with LBH.

Spirit Circle is still better, but LBH is quite good too. I fell off super hard of the...sengoku youko or whatever it was though.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Sengoku Youko is really really good starting at around the second half of the first arc. It also has basically my favorite ending in comics

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They are all so good.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

thetoughestbean posted:

Sengoku Youko is really really good starting at around the second half of the first arc. It also has basically my favorite ending in comics

I love the initial cast but man that protag swap is when it really hits a stride with amazing char development

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Having found success as a manga artist, our hero Satoshi Mizukami sets his sights ever upwards, towards the path of the Epic Gamer

There's a few more of these from his twitter from about half a year ago but I just happened to think about it today. I guess his gacha games weren't cutting it anymore.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ahahaha, so many things like ABSCOND as an onomotopiea or getting blown up by a creeper and leaving a yamcha corpse, perfect.

Shame he played the mobile version, it's trash garbage. I know having a desktop pc is less appealing than a phone there but man, I feel like he'd take to something like one of the enhanced survival packs like Life In The Woods with the high res shaders really well. But, again, desktop, so it's a hindrance.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
These are great! Thanks for translating them.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

New series starting in January: Saihate no Sorute, or (loosely translated) Sorte of the Far Reaches.

"When I was young, I went on a journey. It was a long, long journey."

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
The new series announcement was originally stealth-dropped at the end of kind of a weird little oneshot that ran last month, which you can now read here.
Zero details beyond a name and date so far. He tweeted a few messages to the effect of he and editorial wanted to keep it close to the chest. Probably won't find out more until street date.

I dug through the news and Mizukami's twitter feed but didn't find any likely references to anyone Bucket might've been based on. Mizukami also had a cheeky tweet along the lines of "Can't believe none of you guys remember Bucket. Maybe I woke up from that dream in a timeline where he didn't exist or something", so it's probably mostly fictional.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
The new series launched today! No idea if anyone is translating it yet, but the first chapter (75 pages!) is available for free in Japanese on the official site

Spoilers for the giant curveball in the last few pages: holy poo poo it's a magical girl manga

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
I'm taking a crack at it, yeah. Long one, so might be a few shakes though.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
In celebration of the new Mizukami manga, I have steamrolled Spirit Circle, Sengoku Youko, and Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer over the last four days. I am strongly reminded of how awesome Mizukami is.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

SchrodingersCat posted:

In celebration of the new Mizukami manga, I have steamrolled Spirit Circle, Sengoku Youko, and Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer over the last four days. I am strongly reminded of how awesome Mizukami is.

Nice. I still need to read Sengoku Youko.

Was his last manga with the big barrel thing and the ocean any good? I’m assuming it’s completed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Quidthulhu posted:

Nice. I still need to read Sengoku Youko.

Was his last manga with the big barrel thing and the ocean any good? I’m assuming it’s completed?

It was a one-volume thing, it's over now but only the first few chapters got translated. It's got some fun mayhem but it wasn't very deep, I was planning on doing it but keep putting it off since it wasn't super interesting. :v:

4chan put out a tl of Solte. It's serviceable if you want to read now, but hopefully I'll have my take out in a few more days. :shobon: