Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TroubledWaters
Aug 9, 2007

Some kind of...
oil trap!
So they still haven't fixed the bug where if one of my players gets injured, I can't actually replace him after halftime and just have to stare at my substitute on the bench?

Great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Khorne isn't as bad as it sounds.

It's even worse :gonk:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

TroubledWaters posted:

So they still haven't fixed the bug where if one of my players gets injured, I can't actually replace him after halftime and just have to stare at my substitute on the bench?

Great.

I find the best way to avoid this bug is to not click on any units while your opponent sets up his team.

It's annoying to not be able to plan properly but it seems to prevent the bug from occurring to me at least.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

cmndstab posted:

I find the best way to avoid this bug is to not click on any units while your opponent sets up his team.

It's annoying to not be able to plan properly but it seems to prevent the bug from occurring to me at least.

This does solve it, you do occasionally get the 12 players on the pitch bug though. Also the bug where certain players refuse to be swapped onto the pitch.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
I find that these happen more often the bigger the roster is and older your team. My vamps with the 16 man roster and 2k team value seem to get it a lot.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
It always seems to happen to me with my back-up thrower. I don't want him in the game. He's not as good. That's why he's a back-up.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
if anyone is on the fence about this game, like I was for a long time. Go for it, the group thats on IRC are awesome and very helpful to newer players

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Also pubbies are just as terrible at this game as any other. I hadn't played in a year and a half and stomped a guy playing Chaos Dwarves. The most important thing I learned from the threads on SA and the LPs is that you should always do the least risky actions first. Sure the guy I played was using a new team but you should also know not to pick up the ball or dodge as your first action with an ag3 lineman and no rerolls. Also trying to dodge and pick up a ball ever with a bull centaur.

So consider this another vote for picking this game up! I'm sure a kindly goon can even buy it for :10bux: for you. Also for people that don't know already, http://bbtactics.com/ is a great resource for beginners that gives you some good ideas for a starting lineup, explanations of skills and ways to build various players. At the very least, playing Blood Bowl will make any other game's RNG bullshit seem like nothing in comparison. You don't know RNG bullshit until you reroll double skulls into double skulls or see a saurus pick up the ball, dodge then throw an accurate pass to another saurus that catches it to run in for the touchdown.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Washout posted:

Lets continue this dumb what are the best single players in blood bowl conversation we had on IRC.

1. Wardancer (leap blodge and jesus they are good)
2. Witch Elf (Frenzy dodge jump up what?)
3. Gutter Runner (mv 9 and dodge and mutation access cripes!)
4. Werewolf (mv 8 claw yeow)
5. Bull Centaur (str 4 and fast and tough as poo poo)

I guess it says something that the best players are almost all agi 4?

1. Wardancer (Move 8, leap, blodge, str 3, agi 4)
2. Pro Elf Catchers (Move 8, catch, nerves of steel, str 3, agi 4)
3. Necro Werewolf (Move 8, claw, frenzy, regen)
4. Undead Mummies (str 5, mighty blow, regen and you get 2 on the team)
5. Gutter Runner (Move 9, dodge, agi 4, mutations on doubles, if they were str 3 they'd be the best of the bunch or at least equal to wardancers)

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Gunners are so good because they get mutation access. So on any double they can get horns and they become awesome blitzers. Also because of the crazy mv and agi they are scoring machines.

I don't see mummies as being very high on the list since they don't get general access, and they take a very long time to gather spp. Getting one to level 4 is a long slog. If even one mummy gets block you are doing really well but it's pretty rare.

Tagichatn posted:

Also pubbies are just as terrible at this game as any other. I hadn't played in a year and a half and stomped a guy playing Chaos Dwarves.
As in many other games pubs are so bad once you become halfway decent they are zero challenge. Sure you might lose if you fly into a terrible match-up against one of the more competent players but for the most part I just stick to playing goons because it's so much more fun.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Washout posted:

Gunners are so good because they get mutation access. So on any double they can get horns and they become awesome blitzers. Also because of the crazy mv and agi they are scoring machines.

MA10, sprint, sure feet, strip ball, wrestle, leap, You can't run, you cannot hide.
The other thing with gunners are they're only 80k and you get 4 of them, allowing you to make each one incredibly specialized in ruining the other player's day in a specific fashion.

uPen fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 24, 2012

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
People talk about how good witch elves are but I don't think I've ever had problems with them. They've got some good skills but they're also really fragile and expensive.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Do you ever see people with wrestle leap witch elves? You should play my DE sometimes, while I don't have any like that they are still amazing.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Washout posted:

Do you ever see people with wrestle leap witch elves? You should play my DE sometimes, while I don't have any like that they are still amazing.

My witch elves always take wrestle and strip ball, they are the ultimate ball strippers.

Mummies don't take long to build up at all due to str 5 and mighty blow. Granted, doubles for block does stink but even without it, you should be able to get 3 dice blocks fairly easily against most teams and Undead are an inexpensive enough team to get a huge number of rerolls really quickly.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

uPen posted:

MA10, sprint, sure feet, strip ball, wrestle, leap, You can't run, you cannot hide.
The other thing with gunners are they're only 80k and you get 4 of them, allowing you to make each one incredibly specialized in ruining the other player's day in a specific fashion.

I usually give two wrestle, two block, and make two different kinds of blitzers and two different kinds of ball getters. They always end up being unique though because of the varying levels that they end up with a double and then a mutation.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Played in a private league once with Skaven and got two Gutter runners with +1 movement, sprint and sure feet.

If I got to receive in the first half it was basically a guaranteed win unless double 1s were rolled.

Sure enough, rolled double ones three times in a row when going for touchdowns in the final and ended up losing after going undefeated for the last twelve matches or so. Blood Bowl.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Stupid newbie question: Does Mighty Blow stack with Claws? I have a guy with both and only Claw pops up when he does a block action.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

az posted:

Stupid newbie question: Does Mighty Blow stack with Claws? I have a guy with both and only Claw pops up when he does a block action.
Yes, they work together, and they are a nasty combo.

It's hard for me to guess without seeing your dicerolls, but Claw is automatically applied whenever you knock someone over, reducing their effective AV to 7. If Mighty Blow wouldn't have made a difference, maybe you don't see it pop up?

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 25, 2012

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yes, they stack.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Claw reduces the threshold for breaking the armour to 8+ (assuming it's higher to start with of course), but doesn't influence the roll itself in any way.

Mighty Blow adds 1 to the your roll, either for armour (if necessary) or for injury.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The game does a really awful job of showing how Mighty Blow factors in. If you need 8+ and roll 7, the game will show you applying Mighty Blow to your armor roll. If you roll 8 or more, it will show it applying to the Injury roll you inflict. If you roll 6 or less, it will not show Mighty Blow AT ALL.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Coolguye posted:

The game does a really awful job of showing how Mighty Blow factors in. If you need 8+ and roll 7, the game will show you applying Mighty Blow to your armor roll. If you roll 8 or more, it will show it applying to the Injury roll you inflict. If you roll 6 or less, it will not show Mighty Blow AT ALL.

Yeah, one of it's many flaws. Not as bad as telling you that you need 4+ on a dodge when you really need 3+ because dodges automatically have a +1 applied, but still frustrating when you're trying to learn.

Also dude, that BB group you used to play in seems to have died in the rear end. Any idea what happened there? There was one more short league which I won and then they never started up again. Probably not a bad thing, I'm a touch busy these days anyway.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

cmndstab posted:

Yeah, one of it's many flaws. Not as bad as telling you that you need 4+ on a dodge when you really need 3+ because dodges automatically have a +1 applied, but still frustrating when you're trying to learn.

Yeah this drove me nuts for the longest time. I was looking at the die rolls and couldn't figure out what that +1 "bonus" was from.

It does come with the official board game rules as a .pdf though, so if you're trying to learn the basics you can always refer to them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm requesting that everyone play Washout's Chaos Dwarves and try to murder his stupid Ag 3 bull centaur.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Everyone please play against my Chaos Dwarves, I have a hard time getting games with them.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Just don't bring Khemri, he kind of needs a recovery match now. :v:

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

5 cas 3 ko before I conceded on turn 10. 2 dead dorfs and 1 dead hob.

TroubledWaters
Aug 9, 2007

Some kind of...
oil trap!
Thanks for the help with substitutes, hopefully this works out!

Quick question about Blitz rules competitions, do AI controlled teams have to deal with aging and contracts if you turn those on? Or does that just affect human controlled teams?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nobody will answer your question because nobody plays Blitz mode. It is terrible don't play it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

TroubledWaters posted:

Quick question about Blitz rules competitions, do AI controlled teams have to deal with aging and contracts if you turn those on? Or does that just affect human controlled teams?

Don't play Blitz.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Not all of us are as angry at singleplayer, it's not completely terrible. And it can even be a challenge if you play one of the Stunty teams like goblins, halflings, or ogres. That said however blitz gives you a bunch of extra stuff that makes the game even easier and I'd bet that you could go undefeated in blitz mode even playing one of the terrible teams. I'd just advise playing classic mode with a Stunty on easy if you just want to gently caress around. (the cpu is so afraid of losing the ball that they won't ever score on hard mode).

I even got bored playing underworld after going undefeated for the first two seasons. But if you have too much trouble with a normal stunty team give underworld or Khorne a try. If you have trouble winning against the computer with UW or Khorne then you should come into IRC for advice.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

When are we going to have a new goon tournament?

I'm not volunteering to run it, mind you, I just want someone else to do all the work so I can play games.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

cmndstab posted:

Also dude, that BB group you used to play in seems to have died in the rear end. Any idea what happened there?
Probably exactly as you said. The core group (that is, GRIMNARR's little clique) is pretty insular and I sort of sensed that the second he moved on the league's days were numbered.

You're not missing out on much, honestly. We can pick up with our own group when we all get a little less busy.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Coolguye posted:

Probably exactly as you said. The core group (that is, GRIMNARR's little clique) is pretty insular and I sort of sensed that the second he moved on the league's days were numbered.

You're not missing out on much, honestly. We can pick up with our own group when we all get a little less busy.

When it dropped from 22 players one league to 8 players the next, three of which were new, the writing was pretty much on the wall. I'm just wondering what happened to everyone else. Did they start playing elsewhere or did they all just stop talking to each other?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

TroubledWaters posted:

I would assume they probably don't, just because I doubt it would be really noticeable either way.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

When are we going to have a new goon tournament?

I'm not volunteering to run it, mind you, I just want someone else to do all the work so I can play games.

I'd run one, and even do a LP of my games, except I'm moving to Hawaii in like 4 days so :whelp:.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

So many special snowflake players on my teams these days. My rats rolled a +ag gunner now in the same game my Rat Ogre got block. This team is going to break my heart.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

cmndstab posted:

When it dropped from 22 players one league to 8 players the next, three of which were new, the writing was pretty much on the wall. I'm just wondering what happened to everyone else. Did they start playing elsewhere or did they all just stop talking to each other?

I think they just moved on to another game. I'm not real close with the core clique, but they like Roboky a fair amount so if they were setting up shop somewhere else I probably would've heard about it through him.

They'll be around, though, a lot of those people have known eachother for like 3-4 years, and I think GRIMNARR actually decided I was OK when I kept playing my games even though I had the shittiest team in the league.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Goonbowl 7 signups are good to go for those interested.

You can sign up here.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514108

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Thanks a lot kraken, goblin horns are small and stupid looking.

• Locked thread