Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

BBCE is super cheap on Steam right now ($4.50 USD) but it looks like the sale ends in like an hour and a half

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
New FUMBBL league. Nuffle moves through me. His words are my words.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3691015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Victor Vermis posted:

New FUMBBL league. Nuffle moves through me. His words are my words.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3691015

You're horrible wonderful people. :allears:

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
New Season of 3SL

There are a lot of words there, but if you're new to the league all you need to do is roll for your team and post an application. You may want to familiarize yourself with the 3 Rules and the Regular Season format before committing, though.

Aiming for 2 weeks from now as a starting time, give or take a week.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

A friend of mine insists on trying to play blood bowl competitively with a few of my other friends. He insists the reasons he's never won a game are 1. he hasn't found the right team yet and 2. the dice keep screwing him. Never mind that he doesn't stand up his players, blitzes with no support, have no concept of coverage or support. He routinely turns the ball over on the first action and gets shut out by joke teams. One friend literally only makes bad teams ("16 halflings" etc) to play against him to give him a chance.

My question is, how the gently caress do I break through to this man that he screws himself with his options long before the dice can?

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Remora posted:

A friend of mine insists on trying to play blood bowl competitively with a few of my other friends. He insists the reasons he's never won a game are 1. he hasn't found the right team yet and 2. the dice keep screwing him. Never mind that he doesn't stand up his players, blitzes with no support, have no concept of coverage or support. He routinely turns the ball over on the first action and gets shut out by joke teams. One friend literally only makes bad teams ("16 halflings" etc) to play against him to give him a chance.

My question is, how the gently caress do I break through to this man that he screws himself with his options long before the dice can?

Have him record himself playing a game, preferably explaining his reasoning for each action. Have him send you screenshots of his position at the beginning of each turn and the video. In order, go through each turn and explain what you would do from that position and why. After you've done that, watch the video and commentate over it explaining why every stupid decision he makes is the wrong one.

If even that doesn't break through to him, and you have the assistance of people who are willing to endure some tedium, you need to get one of your friends to generate a series of rolls and have you and him play through the same turn, using the next number from that series of rolls instead of actually rolling dice.

He may simply be congenitally unable to admit personal ineptitude, in which case there's not much you can do.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Yeah, or just stand over his shoulder for a match (irl or in Skype or w/e) and either subtlely or directly tell him all the things he's doing wrong. Question his decisions when he makes dumb blocks or puts his players in bad spots.

As to dice whining, as long as there are games with dice or randomness, there are people who will blame the RNG for losses. There's not much you could do there probably. You could add up all his dice and average it out to show him that his dice are just normal, but he would probably claim that he always got bad dice when it mattered. Or just tell him to stop being a whiny bitch and deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Send him in to the IRC and tell him to fumbbl. He'll either learn how to play or quit bloodbowl forever.

• Locked thread