Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!
Elena

Elena pulls out the shirt and holds it up to herself, sighing as she is clearly too chubby to fit into it. "Well we have his shirt at least, maybe they know more about this." Her eyes light up, "Maybe they want to buy it!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Dick Barone, Barone Sanitation

"I think they'll probably already have a few hundred of them kicking about, seeing as they make the drat things," Dick flicks a freshly-mined bogey at the Halfling.

Dire
Dec 31, 2007

Sir Grant

"Yes, well. Let's get to it." Grant sighs inwardly and pretends not to notice the flung bogey. "The orphanage might give us some useful information of the boy as well as this priestess Maida who apparently ran the place."

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Johann

Johann finishes off his drink in a few gulps, before rising from the table. "Yes. Well. Hopefully we won't run into any maniacs that want to string us up in the process," he comments, digging into a pocket to pull out a handkerchief, offering it to Dick. "You can keep this. It's a gift."

Johann will make his way to the orphanage, with whoever wants to go also.

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010
Thalandril, Sleuth

The elf hardly has time to enjoy his beer as the entire retinue seems intent on getting to the orphanage. With a sigh he chugs down the mug and gets to his feet. "Alright then, lets see what they have to say about him."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Making their way from the tavern, the crew realizes no one has any solid idea on where the orphanage lay. A quick shakedown of a passing Black Hat points them all towards the Doodkanal, one of the slums of Marienburg. They are informed by the guard that the orphanage has recently had a bit of a shake-up and that the former Abbess was arrested for witchcraft, which is not much new information for any of the party.

Once in the district, finding the orphanage is easy, as anyone asked points the way to the narrow alley that runs parallel to a stinking canal, and to the run-down sagging building at its end. Although the building has freshly white-washed walls, it is obvious it has seen better days.

A tall fence runs in front and beyond the building, and those taller than the five foot fence can see the small courtyard where three women sit, surrounded by a circle of children singing with varying degrees of enthusiasm. Several other initiates of Shallya supervise older children behind them, as they work to erect a stone platform.

When one of the women finally look over to the crew, her face turns red and tightly drawn. She grabs the attention of a younger initiate and motions to the party, and the more eagle-eyed experienced initiate begins to quietly gather up the children to usher them inside, save for one that scampers towards a different door on the building.

The younger, red-faced initiate approaches Dick and the others, now alone in the courtyard. "I am sorry, sirs, but please wait here while we await the august precense of the Abbess." Once her piece is said, she stares at her feet with intense concentration. Somewhere in the slums, a crier calls the top of the new hour.

Gonna give you guys a few hours to react, then we'll press on. It's only supposed to be a few minutes between calling the abbess and her arriving, so I'm gonna post a follow-up regardless of interaction.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

Johann

Regarding the orphanage and then the silent initiate, Johann shifts uncomfortably from foot to foot. "So..." he begins to say, but finding himself with nowhere to really go with it, trails off to uncomfortable silence. Erk. He moves to another spot of the fence, leaning against it lightly to consider the platform being erected within.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
After several minutes of uncomfortable silence where the initiate merely stands in the way, staring at her feet, the door to the orphanage creaks open. The initiate looks up in relief and scurries off, giving a polite nod of her head to the iron haired woman coming out of the abbey.

Crossing the courtyard, the Abbess has a face with regal sharpness to it, with intense blue-grey eyes and high cheek bones. Her grey hair is well-kept and pulled back in a tight bun, and her face takes on a stark sternness as she approaches Johann and the others gathered at the gate.

She stops directly in front of Dick and leans forward; if she can catch wind of him, her face doesn't show it. "What is your business here?" She cocks an eye at Grant, her cheeks turning red, but otherwise remains reserved.

Just wanna add, for those that missed it in the recruitment thread, that there are quite a few of us in #acolyte on synirc.net. Since there's probably going to be some planning or questions coming up, you can use that channel for it.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 4, 2012

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!
Elena

Elena reaches into her pack, pulling out the shirt, she holds it up to the Abbess, grinning widely behind the tattered fabric, "Is this your shirt?"

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Pulling out the hanky, Dick theatrically empties his nose into it in front of the waiting Abbess. "Excuse me... been carrying that around since we left t' pub. Anyway, I'm sure you no doubt recognise yon shirt as carried my short-arsed young friend here. We're more interested in the young tyke what worn it. You'll know doubt know the one I mean." To drive the point home (or in) Dick mimes swinging a comedy-size hammer back and forth.

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!
Elena

Keeping the grin affixed to her face, Elena tries to whisper out of the side of her mouth to Dick, "Yon?"

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Just the mention of the boy lightens the woman's plain features, and her guarded nature melts away to a more exuberant manner. "Young Karl's tunic! Bless Shallya, she returned some sign from our miraculous child!" She doesn't even give Dick a glance as he blows his nose and flails like a moron, instead motioning for everyone to follow her inside.

"Please, do come in. Forgive our manners, we* are Gerda Lutzen." She curtsies to the best her age will allow her. "We are sure you have MANY questions about the boy OUR abbey raised. We took personal care of him, as a child." She beams as she leads the rag tag party across the courtyar. "We hear Karl is going to lead a crusade north, to the very throne of the Emperor himself." The woman seems giddy at this, glancing over her shoulder. "With the might of Sigmar in his veins, we have no doubt he will crush those who stand against the Empire. Such as he did that for that VILE witch, Maida."

At the door, the abbess leans in and bellows for a woman named Marietta. A moment passes, and a winded initiate comes sprinting from somewhere in the abbey. "Miss Kuhn, be a dear and take our guest's weapons and cloaks, and see to it there is wine in my office." Marietta nods, remaining silent as she moves up to Grant, averting her eyes as she holds her hands out to take his cloak and sword.

Gerda folds her arms, watching Kuhn with a smirk.

Turn in your weapons, and you may leave any cloak with Miss Kuhn.

*'Royal' we, not 'crazy lady' we.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

"Nay lass, I'm fine with me cloak where it is," Dick flaps it about extravagantly. "I'm lookin' forward to this here wine you speak of though, so here's my bastard axe." Dick attempts to balance/prop the haft of his Hand Weapon between her legs.

Yoshimo fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 4, 2012

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010
Thalandril, Witch Hound

The warden follows Gerda inside at a cautious distance. Something about her has put him on edge. She may be venerable, but in the Old World you could never know who was a wolf in sheep's clothing. When she requests that he removes his weapons and cloak Thalandril hesitates. In a city such as this with such strange happenings about he was reticent to disarm himself. Just the same he slowly removes his cudgel and pistol along with his cloak, but neglects to "remember" the knife in his boot.

Hanging back by Johann he speaks in a hushed whisper, "Did you hear that? This boy is to lead a campaign against the Emperor? The Witch Hunter will want to know about this."

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Sven Kadrinsson

Sven hands over his cloak and his battle-axe, but he keeps his hat tightly over his head.

"Wine, eh? That's the fancy name for grape juice, right? If you have something stronger, I'd prefer that." Sven comments, in his experience most human beverages were mild at best, and just filthy water at worst. "So, miss Lutzen. When did you notice that the boy Karl was not a regular halfling-sized human but Sigmar reborn? What was the first sign?"

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!
Elena

Elena shakes her hips and her sword belt falls to the floor, she cinches her cloak around her, "I'll keep this if you don't mind, awfully nippy." Inwardly Elena hopes that no-one notices the knife tucked into her breeches, hidden in the small of her back. She feigns surprise and draws the small souvenir hammer from her pocket, "This is fine isn't it?"

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

Johann

Johann lets out a quiet 'mmph' in agreement to Thalandril. Marching with an army to Aldorf will end in the worst of ways, for everyone involved. Passing over the truncheon he carries to the blushing Kuhn, he holds his surgeon tools closer to himself, obviously not willing to give those up. They're his livelihood, after all.

Come to think of it, he never did ask the Witch hunter how much he'll be getting paid. Which is probably one of the smarter things he's done so far this trip.

Dire
Dec 31, 2007

Sir Grant

Grant listens to Gerda rant on about Karl's great crusade, stonefaced. He doesn't comment. All this talk of a young boy leading what would no doubt be a bloody crusade left a bad taste in his mouth.

"You may have my shield and cloak," Grant says gently to Marietta, whisking his cloak off his shoulders. "-but I will keep my sword on me."

He turns to face the lady of the house. "I mean no disrespect to you or your abbey, but my sword is more than a weapon and I must insist on keeping it by my side. It is a symbol for the honour of the knights of Bretonnia, and I swear upon that honour that it shall not be drawn while we are still in this house."

He bows to the Abbess. "I am Sir Grant, milady Gerda. We are here seeking more knowledge regarding this young boy, Karl. Many speak of him as the Sigmar Reborn. As you can no doubt tell, our group is... diverse (to say the least), but we were drawn together by our common curiousity. We would appreciate it if you could spare us a moment of your time to tell us a bit about how the boy came to the orphanage, and what he's like."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Marietta gathers the offered weapons and cloaks, but upon Grant's refusal to surrdner his sword looks in silent panic towards the Abbess. At first, Gerda's face looks red with outrage, and there is a minor twinge to her eye; however, her emotions change rapidly and show perfectly on her face, settling on one of elation as she realizes what exactly Grant means.

"One of the fabled knights of Breton, interested in our Karl? Your order's honor is legendary, Sir Grant, and we would be honored to have one who models what Karl will be one day to grace us with his precense." She curtsies, and finally turns her gaze back to the stunned initiate, turning cold once more. "Well, don't just stand there like a fool, Miss Kuhn, take their gear to the closet by the front door, and do not let a single creature touch them."

Kuhn nods frantically and scurries off, still not uttering a word. Gerda speaks with a cruel delight at the fleeing form of Kuhn. "Sister Kuhn is being disciplined. We pray her labour and silence teach her the humility proper to her station." The Abbess grins cruelly, before turning and digging her key from her pocket.

Grant, Thalanadril, and Johann all share a similar thought: they find Lutzen is a bit cruel and taking a little too much delight in her punishment, particularly for a priestess of the Mercy Goddess. However, before they can share thier concerns, Lutzen opens the door to her office and steps inside, taking her seat at her desk.

Inside, the office is spacious, if not sparsely furnished. Lutzen takes a moment to organize her desk before smiling earnestly at Grant and clearing her throat. "We always knew Karl was a blessed child. The very night he was left at the orphanage door, a twin-tailed comet was seen overhead." She sighs wistfully, straightening in her chair as she begins to remember.

"He was the finest of the children, even as a baby - strong and clever, and yet kind. We would have raised him with the other, less fortunate children, but the ready jealousy of other youths caused us to keep him seperate to prevent any.. difficulties."

"Every day he grew more noble and handsome, yet who could have suspected his true destiny?" Gerda gives a chuckle and a wink at this, as if to hint that she knew from the very beginning. She sighs, shuffling through her paperwork. "A few weeks ago, a pair of unseemly men came and asked to see the children, saying their master wished to hire one of our boys as a manservant."

"We do not know HOW they noticed Karl, for he was kept to an upstairs room, but the boy could be willful and sometimes slip out. But, however they saw him, their intent was made clear when a week later, they broke in, killed Sister Hirtzel, and stole the boy away." Her face is blank as she accounts the sister's death, but she quickly turns furious. "Oh, the rage that filled us at the thought of him in the hands of evil men!"

"We did not doubt they were servants of some foul power, and we instructed all the sisters to leave their duties and search the city for him. But we needn't have worried, for Shallya herself was watching over him." She beams with pride. "That very morning, the boy was see to kill his kidnappers with a hammer, single-handedly. All who say the miracle recgonized the boy as holy, and rushed to worship him."

"The crowd brought him to Helmut, a priest of Sigmar in the city, and before the multitude Helmut proclaimed him Sigmar Reborn! The faithful flocked to him and we hurried to add our blessing as well, for even then there were those filled with jealousy and hate who spread awful, AWFUL lies about him." Gerda realizes she is clenching her fist tight enough for the nails to draw blood, and regains her composure. "But those voices have been silenced, and now his faithful have carried him out into the world to fill his glorious purpose. We only regret we did not witness the miracle of him slaying those terrible men with our own eyes."

Gerda trails off, staring into space, before she comes to and shakes her head. "But, he is our greatest glory, and we do love him dearly. We are certainly happy to assist any who would aide his cause." The abbess smiles brightly, folding her hands in front of her. Her whole demeanor seems practiced at this point.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

Johann

Johann listens to the whole spiel by the abbess, his hands folded behind his back. This doesn't feel right, of course. Not that he's been in many Abbeys in the past. But the behavior of Lutzen already seemed a bit off. So he remains mute while she gives them the story, waiting for her to finish before adding in his bit.

"I can only hope those who were spreading lies about Karl suffered long and harshly before meeting their end, mother," he ventures slowly. "I trust they've all been burnt as heretics by now, as befitting their transgressions, yes?"

He's fishing. I don't know if a roll is needed there or not, or if it'd fall into gossip or whatever. Fel is 31 if so.

IPlayVideoGames fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 5, 2012

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Gerda sneers, shaking her head. "Many were torn apart instantly by the crowd, and we can't blame the masses for their transgressions.. well, all but one woman. We still can't believe she would turn on her own sisters, and the miracle child.." The woman trails off, looking into the distance as she smiles at her own mention of the boy.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Sven Kadrinsson

Sven takes in the new information and combines it in his mind with what he knows so far, to make one full story. But he notices some important details missing. A dwarven audience didn't mind a lack of details in stories, they were glad with dead greenskins, but some bothersome halflings in particular were quick to point out inconsistencies.

"So, who did see young Karl kill his kidnappers? And where did the hammer come from?"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Orzad

"Also, these men who tried to kidnap the Reborn Sigmar, do you know where they came from or what they wanted?"

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
The abbess thinks for a moment before answering. "The hammer came from within the smithy he fled from, as far as we are aware. We don't allow any sort of weapon within the abbey.." Gerda glance to Grant with a smile. ".. except under extraordinary conditions. And the men, we are certain, simply came from the swamps, to turn our boy to the dark powers. Which is why he now leads them against the corrupted forces of darkness. As for WHO witnessed the miracle our boy manifested?" Gerda seems absolutely giddy at the thought of Karl performing miracles, as her face lights up with mirth.

"Why, we'd say most of the Market District saw. Several black hats, a few witch hunters.. the witch.." Her mood changes suddenly as she mentions the witch. She shakes her head, her face turning stern and her voice turning stiff once more. "We're afraid that may be all there is to tell. We thank you for coming, and ask you spread Karl's tale as wide as you can."

Looking down to her paperwork, Gerda rings a bell to summon Miss Kuhn once more. "We ask you refrain from asking any questions of the other sisters. We fear they would be a waste of your time, and you would interefere with their duties. And in truth, not all of those in our charge are as free from the vice of gossip as we are. There are those.." She trails off momentarily as Marietta knocks quietly on the door. "..prone.. to spreading foolish rumours. Miss Kuhn will see you out. Good day, gentlemen."

Any final quesitons or comments for the abbess? Otherwise, you're going to be lead out and returned your gear.

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010
Thalandril, Lobbyist

The elf gives Gerda a pleasant bow as they depart. "May thanks, Abbess. Your story has been invaluable to us." While the party gathers their things Thalandril intentionally drags, waiting for a moment when the young miss Kuhn was more alone and accessible. When the moment arises he approaches, doing his best to paint on a mysterious smile and step in a graceful gait until he is within whispering distance. However, at that point, forgoing any feigned attempt at seduction, he simply brandishes a palm full of silver between them. "For your thoughts, Miss Kuhn. The Abbess is unmatched in her zeal, but I feel that may be clouding her view of the facts. Is there anything else she neglected to mention?"

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
As Marietta leads everyone through the courtyard, they see that the children have been moved outside, and are now singing and working once more. Dick, Thalandril, and Orzad are the only ones to notice that the Shallyan initiates are leading the children in a religious song about Sigmar, not the Goddess of Mercy, and that stanzas have been changed to refer to his return.

However, it is the keen poop finding eyes and ears of Dick that notices one of the girls working on the stone platform complaining to the initiate assigned to her. "Why do we have to build a shrine to dumb old Karl, anyways!" The old entrepenuer watches as the initiate boxes her ear, and to everyone but dick, Kuhn shakes her head for seemingly no reason.

When the river warden makes his office, Kuhn looks nervous that he is even speaking to her, and she doesn't even spare the silver a glance as she looks over her shoulder towards the initiates that have moved back outside with the children. She bites her lip and motions for Thalandrl to leave, shaking her head. She passes out the cloaks and weapons in silence one everyone is back on the street, and locks the gate behind her.

Elena feels something prick her as she slings her cloak on, and upon inspection, finds a folded note pinned to the inside of her cloak. Unfortunately, she is unable to read it.

Dick rolls a 1 on a +20 perception test and is literally the only person to notice domestic abuse. Not wanting to feel useful, Johann rolls a loving 98 on the same +20 test, and so the guy with the highest stat for the test flunks the hardest.

The only two people able to read in the party are Orzad and Johann, so Sledra, go ahead and hand it off to one of them. Your choice.

I also want to point out that every human charcter EXCEPT Grant has Common Knowledge (The Empire) so you guys should have some basic knowledge on the gods. I did not realize this at first so I'm just going to blame it on Dick not really caring at the time. :haw:

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!
Elena

Elena holds the note up to the light, squinting at the bizzare scrawling, "What is this? Elvish? Here Johann, is this words or what?" Elena passes Johann the note, but keeps the pin, tucking it into a pocket. It's always good to have a spare pin!

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

Johann the Perceptive

Johann has been somewhat contemplative as they left the Abbey. Yeah. That's it. That's why he didn't notice the kid getting smacked. Drawn out of his thoughts by Elena, he glances down and takes the note, giving it a scan over. "Hm? It's not Elvish." Once they're out of earshot from any of the people working in the Abbey, he'll read it aloud to everyone.

"...I suppose we were headed there anyway, weren't we? I wonder what's clouding Lutzen, though? She lies to herself? Makes it seem like she doesn't know what she's doing. Elena, where'd you get the note?"

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010
Thalandril, Witch Hound

The elf slipped away from Kuhn with his best lecherous smile, trying to make it look as if he were propositioning her for something other than information to any observers. When the group had moved on a frown spread across his face. "That orphanage is definitely wrong. The acolytes were leading the children in songs to Sigmar and Gerda is a zealot if I've ever seen one. I'm reticent to suggest that there is anything foul about a new cult to Sigmar, but this all seems twisted. Hopefully Maida can enlighten us."

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

"That's not right," Dick shakes his head mournfully. "I know orphanages are tough places but there's no need to be laying hands on the kids like that. Bloody zealots. And that note settles it. 'twas on her cloak, and that Miss Kuhn took most of 'em, though I can't remember if they took young Elena's. Still, could have been any of them crumb-fed rugrats that pinned it on when we weren't lookin'. I say we double our pace to go see this Maida."

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!
Elena

Elena frowns at Dick, "Yeah she didn't have my cloak, who the hell put that on?" Elena starts spinning in spot, trying to look at her back, "and how did I not notice them do it!"

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
:downs: I thought Elena had given her cloak over. IT'S WIZARDRY THEN or was with one of the other items passed over.

I actually debated between her and Grant, but decided since Elena had brought the tunic and had a higher fel, she got it. WELP

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Dyne cancels game: Sledra

Dire
Dec 31, 2007

Sir Grant

Listening to the abbess speak had reminded Grant of what the witchhunter had mentioned on their way to the city. Perhaps the abbess wasn't a witch, but she had a wickedness about her, and Grant was glad to be rid of her presence. He felt sorry for the servants and the children who would have to put up with her.

"Lady Lutzen's manner ill befits a woman of her standing. Indeed, if I didn't know her to be a priestess, I might've accused her of being a witch." Grant walks beside the others on the city streets, guiding his horse along by its reins. The gloominess he had felt after leaving the nobles' party had returned. "Those children will be raised to become fanatics. I don't like it." The knight of Bretonnia expresses himself quietly, vowing silently to do everything in his power to help the children once he finishes with his current quest. "I hope lady Maida will be a more noble individual. You could not get much worse."

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

Johann

"She seemed rather supportive of the violence during the riots also, which ill suits a priestess of Shallya," notes Johann. "And they were hitting the orphans? No, that place is wrong."

Elena's cloak is obviously tainted by chaos, and needs to be burnt.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Sven

"Agreed, that lady was strange and did not seem like a priest of Shallya. Maybe we could try finding some rumours about her?" Sven suggests. "Although to be quite honest, I'd prefer trying to find the smithy the boy escaped from, and maybe learn some gory details about the fight. Gory details make for better stories than suspicious old ladies."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
While discussing their encounter within the orphanage in the street, a man shambles by, lighting the street lamps by scaling them and pressing a lit candle to the wick. A crier in the distance calls the time, as the sun begins to set on the horizon; it is now twilight, and soon the city will be dark save for the lights.

Group consensus calls for meeting with Maida, and the river warden takes the lead for those who have yet been to Sigmar's temple. A few people give curious glances to the passing entourage, mostly due to the two dwarves, but Marienburg is not a city to ask many questions. The warden arrives at the square right as darkness sets over the land.

By the well, a single Black Hat stands in front of Maida, hands on his hips. He makes strange noises in his throat, and after a moment, spits on the former Abbess' dress. With a chuckle, the man turns and saunters off, obviously proud of his accomplishment. Maida simply stares at him, watching him leave, before sighing through her nose and closing her eyes, continuing her prayers.

A single flickering torch attached to the pillar in front of the church lights the square, and there are plenty of shadows to hide within; particularly, the area around the well, opposite Maida, is completely unlit. The purported witch herself, however, is only lit from one side.

Sven recalls that the patrols come by only once every 15 minutes, giving the team approximately that much time to question Maida, or free her if they are so inclined.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

Johann

With the watch gone, for the moment, Johann strides forward, keeping to the darkness as best he can as he approaches the cage. "Abbess. We're here to free you," he announces quietly to her from the darkness of the well. "Sorry to interrupt your prayers."

He eyes the cage, regarding the lock on it. Maybe they can just smash it? Unless someone knows how to pick these things.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Maida opens her eyes, giving Johann a scrutinizing look. He can see the fire in her eyes, at odds with her withered frame, and can see she still has a good bit of life in her.

Her mouth is still plugged with a hankerchief bearing Sigmar's mark, and she does not attempt to speak through it; she glances to the side to see if any guards are coming, and looks back to Johann, shaking her head. No one seems to be coming, however.

The embalmer takes a close look at the lock; it is made of heavy iron, and the shackle is fairly thick, but it could possibly be pried loose or smashed off by someone strong enough. He notices it is possible to also simply untie her restrains within the gibbet, which would let her rest on the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010
Thalandril, Escape Artist

With Johann's expedient approach there was only time to react. Thalandril quietly cursed in Eltharin and began to skirt the outside of the square, sticking to the shadows. With his pistol in hand he peered into the darkness, relying on his elven night vision to reveal any hidden threats as he went around to the darker side of the cage. "Johann, cut her down. I'll try to pry these bars." The lock he was ill-equip to deal with, but the bars could be a different animal. Like any good boatman he carried a length of rope. With agile hands he pulled out the coils and wound them between two bars, leaving a space between to place something stout, such as his cudgel. Within a minute he had created an impromptu windlass and tourniquet, seeking a mechanical advantage over the long iron bars. "Somebody with a little meat to them help me twist. We ought to be able to bend these bars and make some space."

Alright, first I would like to make a Perception check to find anybody lurking in the dark. If nobody is watching then I'd like to start attempting to bend the bars. To make enough space to get Maida out we'll probably have to do this twice. It will go like this:

|=| |=| to )( )(

With the | being the unbent bars, the = being the rope, and the )( being the bars bent afterwards if that gives you a good visual. For an idea of how it would work in motion watch how Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson escape from jail in Shanghai Noon :D

ilootthecorpse fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 13, 2012

• Locked thread