Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chapter 222.5

Weird little half-chapter, which has some big plot implications just the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It's been a while since this thread has been updated, and I personally wasn't feeling this flashback arc, but seriously goddamn.

Chapter 229

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was wondering what was going to make some of Solomon's crew turn into crazed nihilists.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
From a ways back, I thought this page was pretty interesting. The other woman next to Ugo at the start of the flashback is obviously Arba, but you can't ignore their apparent juxtaposition in the above page if you're still assuming Sheba becomes Gyokuen.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Some major revelations in the latest chapter. God's rukh was black, and Solomon merging with it made it white. This also hints that black rukh is not necessarily "evil", but instead it's some sort of "fate/destiny".

Overall it seems the big picture being painted is a battle between Solomon's servants to keep his will going (Ugo, Aladdin) versus people who want to restore God's will and possibly the old world (Gyokuen.) The chapter added some ambiguity about who Gyokuen is; there were a lot of hints that she was Sheba but now there's a possibility she could be Arba instead. If Gyokuen is Sheba, it seems like her plan to transform the rukh to black rukh literally involves killing Solomon :v:.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Not sure what the gently caress happened on the last 2 pages there. Sheba is almost certainly Aladdin's mother so I don't know about her being Gyouken, simply because Gyouken would've mentioned it by now if that was true.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Interesting. It looks as if the Solomon who existed at the time when Gyokuen betrayed him was probably not even the original Solomon. I don't know exactly who or what the living Solomon (as opposed to the disembodied god-Solomon) was at the end of the chapter there - although he looks a fair amount like David - but he's not the Solomon that the characters loved. This could explain why the waif-like Magi who was presumably Sheba shown in an earlier flashback looked so bedraggled and out of it while she was congratulating Solomon about his victory. It would also explain why Arba looked so upset in the same scene.

Sheba and Arba are both excellent candidates for Gyokuen, and in many ways, Sheba looks like the best bet. She's had the most time spent on her, which would be appropriate for such a major villain. She was also devoted to Solomon in a very pure way, which could easily lead to problems if and when she became disillusioned or if she were to lose Solomon (which it looks as if she just has). However, it's true that this would mean that Gyokuen was Aladdin's mother, and I agree that somehow it doesn't seem likely that Gyokuen would be Aladdin's mother. There haven't been any hints about that, and Gyokuen hasn't said anything about it. Whereas Arba seems to be the person who is most interested in Ill Illah, and who is opposed to Solomon's plan for non-personal reasons. Still, I do think that Arba is most likely a red herring here and that Gyokuen will probably turn out to be Sheba.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think Arba is the most likely choice at this point, given the imagery/dialogue in 223. Both of them seem quite infatuated with God as a "Father" as well, as opposed to Sheba who seems more dedicated to Solomon alone.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Allarion posted:

It's been a while since this thread has been updated, and I personally wasn't feeling this flashback arc, but seriously goddamn.
Yeah this whole flashback arc/tedious mystical explanation (ala Naruto lately as well) stuff has actually genuinely derailed my reading Magi. I'm like ten chapters behind now. Maybe it's time to dip back in.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chapter 233

Well that face isn't going to leave my mind for a while :stare:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I'm so confused. So Solomon's body suddenly got all old and now just kind of repeats vague religious stuff?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Sindai posted:

I'm so confused. So Solomon's body suddenly got all old and now just kind of repeats vague religious stuff?

I think what's going on is his consciousness is spread throughout all the white rukh, and Sheba can pull a bunch of it together and let him talk for a while.

Monsieur Mango
Apr 29, 2009
Angry uneducated white person
I still think David's the big bad. That motherfucker must've planned this poo poo way back and is just watching from the sidelines until the time is right.

All hail David!

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

Monsieur Mango posted:

I still think David's the big bad. That motherfucker must've planned this poo poo way back and is just watching from the sidelines until the time is right.

All hail David!

I don't know, David seemed pretty resigned to his fate at the end there. Not really a sadistic puppet-master so much as dude who'd survived and seen some awful poo poo for waaayyy to long and eventually turned nihilistic as gently caress.

Sinbad's almost definitely gonna end up walking down the same road to crazy town. Especially since it's been implied several times (especially in The Adventures of Sinbad side-manga) that he has some idea of what his destiny entails. Gyokuen also called him "Solomon's creation", which might mean that he's been :airquote:blessed:airquote: by Solomon the same way that God :airquote:blessed:airquote: David.

My bet's on Solomon being the end boss. After losing his sense of humanity having spent years as a source of spiritual power or becoming tainted by whatever crazy poo poo Arba's up too.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Shugojin posted:

I think what's going on is his consciousness is spread throughout all the white rukh, and Sheba can pull a bunch of it together and let him talk for a while.

Sheba became one of the original Magi. Solomon is just an empty husk basically, but Sheba can communicate with the Rukh to hear is will.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chapter 234

Well, that explains why Gyokuen had Sheba's staff at least.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
And I will probably never see the revenge. Irredeemable.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

So the dungeons are actually the capital of the former species... :aaaaa: I assume we're going back to the main story at this point, the major backstory beats have been settled. I don't even remember where we left off, it was sometime after the Magnostadt war, but it's all a blur hahaha.

EDIT: I reread the chapters prior to the flashback and I forgot that the reason we're in a flashback in the first place is that Aladdin is explaining all this to Kouen and Sinbad... things are definitely going to be interesting when we get back to the main story.

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 5, 2014

Monsieur Mango
Apr 29, 2009
Angry uneducated white person
Holy crap, I'm re-reading the current arc, and I just got to the panel where David is watching the guys in the current world watching the flashback Aladdin is showing everyone.

David's still in the loving picture, no way his part of the story is done.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chapter 235

Is it just me or did they not really explain how the other species became djinns? All we seemed to get was a "and then they became djinns with Solomon's magic and their metal vessels. The End." Gotta believe the flashback will be wrapping up in another chapter or two at this rate anyway.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Chapter 235

Is it just me or did they not really explain how the other species became djinns? All we seemed to get was a "and then they became djinns with Solomon's magic and their metal vessels. The End." Gotta believe the flashback will be wrapping up in another chapter or two at this rate anyway.

It's only the leaders of the races that became djinns. In a previous chapter, Solomon had divided power equally among the races and given the leaders a staff I think.

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

Monsieur Mango posted:

Holy crap, I'm re-reading the current arc, and I just got to the panel where David is watching the guys in the current world watching the flashback Aladdin is showing everyone.

David's still in the loving picture, no way his part of the story is done.

Just re-read that part too and what weirds me out is that on the next page he's clearly gesturing like he's having a conversation with Ill-Allah, despite the fact that the Mother Dragon claimed that Ill-Allah was just a lump of power with no consciousness. The Mother Dragon suggested that there is a power even beyond "God", so maybe David and Arba are communicating with that?.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chapters 236 and 237.

Proooooobably the end of the flashback, if anyone was waiting for it to wrap up before catching up in the series.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I wonder how some of the Red Lions made it over to the human world and gained human forms(they're the Fanalis). Yunan's doing maybe?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Fetus Aladdin is pretty darn adorable! :3: I also really like the artist's take on tree people, this design stands out in particular:

In fact, I really enjoyed the different species that were shown off. There were a lot of cool ideas, and they really went wild with the ones that were distinctly non-human! It was also funny and adorable to see the more grotesque designs drawn in a cute manner for the children of the species. I'm going to be a bit sad when the flashback is over because we'll be going back to the all-human world.

I'm also amused that Hugo spent all his time getting swole.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Anyone up to date w/the last chapter of Magi and/or Sinbad?

The actual chapters are short but I'm glad they ended the Extreme magic battles as it was getting too DBZ-like for me to care for an entire volume.

Anyways, we get to see our favorite disgruntled 4th prince scheming w/Judal back in Kou HQ about restoring it back to it's former glory? I never 100% understood wtf his goals other than avenge his older brothers and his mother issues. I thought the Kou empire is doing fine even with the ongoing conquests/invasions of nearby areas.

Sinbad OVA was a fun diversion and made me realize I kinda miss the Magi anime too.

I know Sinbad is supposed to be insanely OP w/his number of metal vessels but it's a bit dull to see him out-smart everyone all the time. Ja'far as a kid is the best sidekick/partner ever in the series.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Mother issues is severely underplaying it. She was basically the entire reason why the world is hosed up as it is now.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I feel like I really need a Kou family tree to figure out what's going on now.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
So Hakuryuu had a dad who was the Emperor that went around uniting the empire, let's call him dad. Dad had two other sons that were older than Hakuryuu and a daughter. The daughter, Hakuryuu's sister, is the person we saw a long rear end time ago with the fan metal vessel.

When Hakuryuu was a kid, his dad got assassinated and then his home got lit up in flames while Al-Thamen went around wrecking things. Both his brothers died in the process, and Hakuryuu got his major scarring from this event. As a side note, his brothers were cool dudes.

It was later revealed that his mom, Gyokuen, setup all this poo poo, and she went on to re-marry with Hakuryuu's uncle, who is the dad of basically all the other relatives we're familiar with, including Kouen (leader of the Kou army), Kougyoku (water metal vessel), and the other people who I forget about. The uncle became the emperor, as explained in this last chapter, and he adopted Hakuryuu and his sister, but now he's dead.

Then recently we found out Gyokuen, Haku's mom, is dead. Hooray.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nahxela posted:

So Hakuryuu had a dad who was the Emperor that went around uniting the empire, let's call him dad. Dad had two other sons that were older than Hakuryuu and a daughter. The daughter, Hakuryuu's sister, is the person we saw a long rear end time ago with the fan metal vessel.

When Hakuryuu was a kid, his dad got assassinated and then his home got lit up in flames while Al-Thamen went around wrecking things. Both his brothers died in the process, and Hakuryuu got his major scarring from this event. As a side note, his brothers were cool dudes.

It was later revealed that his mom, Gyokuen, setup all this poo poo, and she went on to re-marry with Hakuryuu's uncle, who is the dad of basically all the other relatives we're familiar with, including Kouen (leader of the Kou army), Kougyoku (water metal vessel), and the other people who I forget about. The uncle became the emperor, as explained in this last chapter, and he adopted Hakuryuu and his sister, but now he's dead.

Then recently we found out Gyokuen, Haku's mom, is dead. Hooray.

TL;DR: Hakuryuu and his sister's(fan metal vessel girl who met Alladin) parents are Gyokuen and the previous emperor, the others(Kouen, water metal vessel girl, big sword metal vessel kid, teleportation metal vessel guy) are the children of the Emperor who took over after Hakuryuu's dad died, his brother. So they're cousins.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

RatHat posted:

TL;DR: Hakuryuu and his sister's(fan metal vessel girl who met Alladin) parents are Gyokuen and the previous emperor, the others(Kouen, water metal vessel girl, big sword metal vessel kid, teleportation metal vessel guy) are the children of the Emperor who took over after Hakuryuu's dad died, his brother. So they're cousins.

Almost forgot to ask is it true Hakuryuu's older sister is engaged to Kouen (her cousin)? IDK it was never mentioned in the manga but maybe I just forgot somehow. GDT, everyone's name is so similiar :v:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Alder posted:

Almost forgot to ask is it true Hakuryuu's older sister is engaged to Kouen (her cousin)? IDK it was never mentioned in the manga but maybe I just forgot somehow. GDT, everyone's name is so similiar :v:

No? I don't remember anything about that.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

RatHat posted:

No? I don't remember anything about that.

gdt, this the is the last time I will rely on internet rumors for manga series :v:

Anyone else wish they just kept the trio going on misc dungeon conquering chapters? I know it'd get boring fast but so far sitting around at political meetings is kinda boring already.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Chapter 244

:asoiaf:

Hakuryuu has gone off the deep end. I love it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's Sasuke, but executed better.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

At least Judal isn't lonely anymore :supaburn:

I think Hakuryuu's death flag has been activated.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
If you like Arba/Gyoken face you'll love the newest chapter.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
http://reader.sensescans.com/reader/read/magi__labyrinth_of_magic/en/15/250/page/1
RIP Arba

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
No way she's gonna stay dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I hope she does. Faces aside, she wasn't a very interesting antagonist compared to pretty much any of the other heads of state.

Also remember by Shounen Law you are most vulnerable to permanent death immediately after your backstory dump.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 15, 2014

• Locked thread