Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Was really weird having all those names change around all of a sudden, though Magnostadt doesn't sound nearly as silly as the previous. I kind of liked Laem though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
It's interesting that they're transcribing the arabic names of the various magical spells. I appreciate that they're making the extra effort.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

I'm sure real Rome would've loved to have had gunpowder and airships for those pesky invading Germanic tribes.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 14, 2013

Monsieur Mango
Apr 29, 2009
Angry uneducated white person
This arc is filled with moral ambiguities coming from both sides. I love it.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
For someone with such a respect for humanity, Lady Sheherazade is a huge jerk for forcing Titus to basically die and rejoin her consciousnesses or whatever.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Chapter 170 is out.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

devilmaydry posted:

For someone with such a respect for humanity, Lady Sheherazade is a huge jerk for forcing Titus to basically die and rejoin her consciousnesses or whatever.

He's not a real person. He was created as a perfect puppet, given a task, and both he and his creator knew from his birth how this would end.

Dehumanizing someone is easier when they're not human.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I see the Chancellor is an Evangelion fan.

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011
This war arc is shapin gup to be one of the best in shounen. It's easily surpasses the Big Three in that regard already.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For all intents and purposes this is just the opening battle as well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sorry for the double post but here's Chapter 171.

:drat:

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Nate RFB posted:

Sorry for the double post but here's Chapter 171.

:drat:

drat, I can't wait to see how far Aladdin's powers have progressed! :allears:

PastaSky
Dec 15, 2009
Goddamn this arc has been incredible. This has elevated magi to my favorite weekly. The author is just nailing everything. Making both sides sympathetic rather, I really want neither side to be fighting each other, the back and forth of the war with each side introducing new elements. And now Aladdin is here to kick rear end.

How is this war is going to be resolved? I think its going to end with a treaty where magic city joins the roman empire, but remains some form autonomy. That would give both sides what they want. The magic city getting the protection of the roman empire, the empire not having the magic city as a threat, and gaining their magic power. But that is just me hoping everything will go well for everyone.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I'm expecting Al Sarmen to gently caress everything up.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Man I know it's the most cliche shounen thing but I can't wait to see what Aladdin is capable of with his POWER LIMITERS off now that he actually knows magic.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Sindai posted:

Man I know it's the most cliche shounen thing but I can't wait to see what Aladdin is capable of with his POWER LIMITERS off now that he actually knows magic.
He's going to be using the wisdom of Solomon power of friendship at some point in the near future so we have yet to reach peak shounen.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It'll also be funny when Alibaba enters the fray because there's no way he's really going to fight on the behalf of Reim and thus will probably just go along with whatever Aladdin wants to do.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I really hope Morgiana doesn't come back being this horny from being in battles. That stuff is awkward as hell.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Nate RFB posted:

It'll also be funny when Alibaba enters the fray because there's no way he's really going to fight on the behalf of Reim and thus will probably just go along with whatever Aladdin wants to do.

Oh yeah, that guy. I forgot he was on the boat with the rest of the super warriors. Kinda a random shoo-in considering all the other heavy stuff.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

ilifinicus posted:

I really hope Morgiana doesn't come back being this horny from being in battles. That stuff is awkward as hell.
I think that that's sort of the point. The finalis in the army were nearly all freed slaves and they're dealing their freedom by indulging in violence. If they're actually comfortable with being who they are they probably wouldn't be doing any of this. Morigana already knows that she's basically untouchable by normal people and that she has friends who value her, when you actually have any sort of self confidence you don't have to wave your dick around trying to prove that you're a badass.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Speaking of Mor, I kind of wish we could get more of the omakes/extras translated...

Also I guess Ohtaka Shinobu has a blog where she doodles random stuff:

More here.

Siiruz13
Sep 27, 2011

Glass cannon? Glass cannon.
Magi 172 is here: http://www.tenmanga.com/chapter/Magi172/312593-1.html

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Not terribly worried about Mu at least, since he has yet to show off his djinn.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I like how Aladdin actually has side effects from blocking out his essential nature for so long.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

I like how Aladdin actually has side effects from blocking out his essential nature for so long.
I'm wondering if the power up timer is there just for dramatic tension or if it turns out that he actually goes the whole battle without getting a significant boost from being a Magi to show that it wasn't about power levels at all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Algid posted:

I'm wondering if the power up timer is there just for dramatic tension or if it turns out that he actually goes the whole battle without getting a significant boost from being a Magi to show that it wasn't about power levels at all.

Something bad is happening to him now. It doesn't look like a powerup, but rather a more severe reaction now that he has tried serious magic with his seal off. Yamuraiha isn't nearly as knowledgeable as she originally seemed to be.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

http://reader.sense-scans.com/reader/read/magi__labyrinth_of_magic/en/15/173/page/1

God drat it can it be next week now? I wanna see MAGI ACTION.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 11, 2013

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

So good. Someone is about to get hosed.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Cynic Jester posted:

So good. Someone is about to get hosed.

:drat: That chapter needed a next page so loving bad.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Magi/Vol-017-Ch-174--The-Power-of-a-Magi?id=157047

Yes. Yessssss. Aladdin about to befriend the poo poo out of every motherfucker in the zip code. :black101:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
These two pages might be some of my favorites in Magi.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Magi is pretty much my favorite manga at the moment. It just goes from awesome to awesome, with awesome in between.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Sindai posted:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Magi/Vol-017-Ch-174--The-Power-of-a-Magi?id=157047

Yes. Yessssss. Aladdin about to befriend the poo poo out of every motherfucker in the zip code. :black101:

Well, apparently Magi are magicians of creation, so Aladdin is going create zip codes :v:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Now it's just a matter of time until Aladdin and Alibaba reunite and celebrate their reunion with women, and the next Elizabeth.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

175 is out.

Aladdin still has a Mu to deal with. A half-Fanalis armed with a household vessel could probably be potent enough to take Aladdin out. And there's still Mogamett. Aladdin's Magi-status aside, he's still a child in Mogamett's eyes and probably won't be swayed at all.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I actually am hoping that when the commander guy (Mu?) attacks Aladdin, we get to see a fully equipped Alibaba block the blow perfectly, and it switches over to showing how Alibaba grew instead of just Aladdin. It'd probably be the cleanest way to come up with an excuse to get him fighting.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

There's also the fact that Scheherazade could always intrude in the fight as well. Still, it's kind of awesome to see how Aladdin managed to demoralize an entire Army so easily.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It isn't coincidental that the front line which moved so far from Alibaba is once again near to him. Right now, Aladdin still hasn't changed anything about Magnostadt. All he has done is to reinforce the idea that magicians are awesome and naturally superior to goi. He will need Alibaba's help to really end the war and change Magnostadt.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I reckon that Magnostadt will try to bust out some black metal vessels and attempt to kill the retreating army, and that fight as well as whatever Mu is going to do will constitute the final battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009
They keep dropping more hints about Scheherazade not being a real Magi, I wouldnt be surprised if Aladdin blows away Mu's expectations because he doesnt know what a real Magi can do.

• Locked thread