Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Did she have a TBI at some point in the last couple of years?

She's cited that Twitter account three times recently. She's not dumb, she's a grifter who thinks her audience is dumb enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

DrNutt posted:

The right is getting better at comedy and it's making the left nervous.

Yeah...really makes you think.

Or not

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

je1 healthcare posted:

The only way Fox news collapses is if another right-wing network like OANN or Newsmax steals their audience. Which may happen considering the growing number that somehow consider Fox to be too liberal. People predicted that Fox would tank once Roger Ailes died and a bunch of their top hosts got sacked for being sex pests. Nope, their ratings still remained dominant even as sponsors got iffy about supporting Tucker Carlson or Hannity

They exist because of a market demand from people who want a highly-filtered version of reality, if the top conservative pundits vanished then their viewers will seek out another one, and not migrate to actual news sources.

Limbaugh is #1 but he doesn't even command most of that market anymore. There's dozens of other right-wing radio hosts following his same business model for the past 30 years, lots of them are already millionaires and are on Fox's shortlist for future hosts.
Fox will fail because their material isn't explicitly Nazi enough for the American right.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

DelilahFlowers posted:

Fox will fail because their material isn't explicitly Nazi enough for the American right.

Which is funny, because they are largely responsible for normalizing the Nazis and guiding their viewers in that direction.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Twelve by Pies posted:

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1268639250544652288

I wonder how you sue a bunch of anonymous people?

Is this a new photo or just another one of the time he got a "brain hemmoraghe" from a "concrete milkshake" and yet was released from the hospital the same day

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
You guys and gals are missing the fun

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Angry_Ed posted:

Is this a new photo or just another one of the time he got a "brain hemmoraghe" from a "concrete milkshake" and yet was released from the hospital the same day

You already know the answer friend. But to be clear, it's the milkshake photo.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

So when is Rush, Hannity and every other Republican gonna call for a boycott of (reads notes) every brand company; Even though they were the most mealy mouthed statements.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Angry_Ed posted:

Didn't he also take a flight a day after, something which you definitely shouldn't do when you have brain damage?

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Vichan posted:

Didn't he also take a flight a day after, something which you definitely shouldn't do when you have brain damage?

Well to be fair, after looking at his Twitter, it's clear this guy has had brain damage his whole life, so...

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Quixotic1 posted:

So when is Rush, Hannity and every other Republican gonna call for a boycott of (reads notes) every brand company; Even though they were the most mealy mouthed statements.

I think we'd need to mobilize companies onto statements first. Everytime they get mad it's because Nike did this or Gillette did that.

I'd we can get public statement decrying trump and the police, they'll immediately attack those companies.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Lid posted:

Reality and K6BD are merging and I'm cool with that

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lid posted:

Yeah I played FF7 too.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jesus Christ. FOX News ran a graphic comparing stock market performances after beatings and assasinations of black people.

No really

https://www.cnn.com/videos/media/2020/06/06/fox-news-graphic-stock-market-stelter-ndwknd-vpx.cnn

EDIT:

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 6, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BiggerBoat posted:

Jesus Christ. FOX News ran a graphic comparing stock market performances after beatings and assasinations of black people.

No really

https://www.cnn.com/videos/media/2020/06/06/fox-news-graphic-stock-market-stelter-ndwknd-vpx.cnn

EDIT:

Apparently they apologized for it by saying that the ‘proper context was not given for the graphic’. What the gently caress is the proper context for a graphic made to show how much the stock market gained when a black person was killed or assaulted?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The proper context being "we didn't mean to go full mask off. This was supposed to be hidden."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

FOX also edited out portions of a video hey aired that showed the cops shoving, drawing on and handcuffing some store owners that were trying to fend off looters.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-news/fox-news-edits-video-police-guns-drawn-cuffing-innocent-black-people-1009313/

Rolling Stone posted:

A local Fox affiliate ran a story about a family flagging down law enforcement to protect a business from looters, but when police arrived on the scene, the officers handcuffed them. Fox News, however, when broadcasting the affiliate’s report, removed the part of the footage where police drew their guns and put the family in handcuffs.

On Monday night, a video of Los Angeles citizens and a local reporter flagging down police while trying to stop alleged looters went viral. The video showed several officers arriving on the scene and immediately drawing their guns. The police then handcuffed three people who had alerted the police to the situation in the first place, two of whom were black.

Manuel Calavera posted:

The proper context being "we didn't mean to go full mask off. This was supposed to be hidden."

Yeah, "Taken out of context" is something that Republicans think is a get out of jail free card for some reason and plays on the idea that "the media" is fake and makes poo poo up - forgetting of course that taking poo poo out of context is what a LOT of their RWM people do as a matter of course (James O' Keefe, "You DIdn't Build THat", etc)

lol O' Keefe was on Hannity yesterday.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 6, 2020

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh no I'm not even kidding, that's the answer they give. I can't find the tweet because it was an hour ago. But that's what they said, "this graphic wasn't meant for public."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Apparently they apologized for it by saying that the ‘proper context was not given for the graphic’. What the gently caress is the proper context for a graphic made to show how much the stock market gained when a black person was killed or assaulted?

Trying to work this one out myself but, increasingly, I find myself unable to parse any sort logic coming from conservative republicans and their media outlets at all so I got nothing. But near as I can tell it's "riots are good for the stock market" or...something. Or maybe some half baked attempt to genuflect and create some odd sort of subterfuge. Possibly a "just asking questions" thing but still.

In ANY context a Murdering Black People: Good for the Economy? headline is not only awful, it's just loving weird and, like you, I'm drawing a blank trying to invent any context at all where this makes sense.

It'd be like running a news graphic that shows the correlation between the unemployment rate and something like summer box office receipts for a Star Wars movie or the average wait time in a TSA line at the airport and trying to establish a link for whatever reason. Best I can come up with is that, since UE #'s were surprisingly better than expected and that somehow Wall Street is thriving through riots in the street and a global pandemic that we're supposed to be focusing on the economy and subliminally (I guess) connect the murders of black people to high stock yields (?)

I uh...I don't loving know what the point of it was or what the "context" could have been.

Ah, who am I kidding. It was my made up headline writ large. Rush and Hannity will spin it all Monday morning, explaining what the context really meant and how liberals and the fake news media are freaking out over nothing. I'll know what they said by listening to people talk in my lunch room Tuesday.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

The real context should be that the stock market is just the collective value of a bunch of companies, which is based on their future earnings, which are largely not influenced by tragedy. As a society we’ve turned “the stock market” into some kind of living being.

Anywho Fox’s context is obviously “don’t be worried about your money old whites”

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

paternity suitor posted:

The real context should be that the stock market is just the collective value of a bunch of companies, which is based on their future earnings, which are largely not influenced by tragedy. As a society we’ve turned “the stock market” into some kind of living being.

Anywho Fox’s context is obviously “don’t be worried about your money old whites”

It's just such a loving reach though, to the point that even ^^that^^ context makes no sense. Nor does even assuming that it does make their excuse more palatable. They have no "out" here and just cry "out of context" as if there were a legitimate one in the first place.

It's so god damned weird.

Here's a graph that shows the price of gas correlated with how much money actors make for starring in a movie! Here's another one that looks at the price of a dozen eggs commensurate with gun laws in several states. I mean wtf?

I remember a screen shot during the the GWB presidency that said something like "Higher Gas Prices: GOOD for the Economy?"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The weird part to me is not that Fox News posted the oddly racist graphic or that they basically said "your rich white money is safe when black people die". That's all weird but well within line. The weird part is that no one recognized that by linking Michael Brown, George Floyd, and even Rodney King to MLK you are basically acknowledging that these are all civil rights protests and justified causes.

I mean, Fox News won't follow up on that but I'm surprised that they didn't catch that since Rodney King wasn't killed and MLK wasn't killed by cops (you know... directly). But they still linked them all and in doing so accidently admitted the truth.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

BiggerBoat posted:

It's just such a loving reach though, to the point that even ^^that^^ context makes no sense. Nor does even assuming that it does make their excuse more palatable. They have no "out" here and just cry "out of context" as if there were a legitimate one in the first place.

Here's a graph that shows the price of gas correlated with how much money actors make for starring in a movie! Here's another one that looks at the price of a dozen eggs commensurate with gun laws in several states. I mean wtf?

I remember a screen shot during the the GWB presidency that said something like "Higher Gas Prices: GOOD for the Economy?"

It would make sense only as an internal metric tracked by someone in finance whose job is to deal with how tragedies affect markets, not as something shown on the news. Every company with a finance department is going to track this sort of thing, whether it's civil unrest, a hurricane, a fire, etc.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

BiggerBoat posted:

https://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations , can't be bothered to download-and-imgur graphs but it's a Good Site

Dirk the Average posted:

It would make sense only as an internal metric tracked by someone in finance whose job is to deal with how tragedies affect markets, not as something shown on the news. Every company with a finance department is going to track this sort of thing, whether it's civil unrest, a hurricane, a fire, etc.

yeah it's not a nonsensical thing to analyze, but

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

The weird part to me is not that Fox News posted the oddly racist graphic or that they basically said "your rich white money is safe when black people die". That's all weird but well within line. The weird part is that no one recognized that by linking Michael Brown, George Floyd, and even Rodney King to MLK you are basically acknowledging that these are all civil rights protests and justified causes.

I mean, Fox News won't follow up on that but I'm surprised that they didn't catch that since Rodney King wasn't killed and MLK wasn't killed by cops (you know... directly). But they still linked them all and in doing so accidently admitted the truth.

Well, all those people are black and therefore exactly the same you see.

In other less depressing news, here's a graphic about your ROTH IRA that is taken out of context if anyone has a problem with its intent, which we still can't explain.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Absolutely no reason to show it on the news whatsoever, agreed.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Parrotine posted:

I feel like that one will go down quickly once Rush finally kicks the bucket since there's not really anyone else to 'pass the mantle' to in a sense
Sean Hannity's radio show has almost the same number of listeners, and that's on top of his TV show.

je1 healthcare posted:

They exist because of a market demand from people who want a highly-filtered version of reality, if the top conservative pundits vanished then their viewers will seek out another one, and not migrate to actual news sources.
It's kind of funny because they existed in the first place by putting a reputable neutral 24 hour cable news face on conservative propaganda, sustained via a massive helping of plausible deniability, "Fair and Balanced" branding, etc.

i.e. yeah it was offering a massively filtered version of reality, but it depended on it not being obvious that was what they were doing.

At this point, the mask is off.

FilthyImp posted:

I don't know if FoxNews.TV can stay on as an evangelical-aligned place, or as more of a Libertarian/ "skeptic" branded channel. But that might be a direction to take.
The best description I've heard of them is that the conservative media is reactionary: All it does is react to things that liberals are doing. It has basically nothing to contribute otherwise.

FNC's audience is old white people that hate change, in a visceral fear of a world that is leaving them behind, supposedly being "ruined" by things they refuse to understand. There is no ideology except the ideology necessary to justify the freak-outs. They'll contort their branding into whatever shape is necessary to do that.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 7, 2020

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Trying to work this one out myself but, increasingly, I find myself unable to parse any sort logic coming from conservative republicans and their media outlets at all so I got nothing. But near as I can tell it's "riots are good for the stock market" or...something. Or maybe some half baked attempt to genuflect and create some odd sort of subterfuge. Possibly a "just asking questions" thing but still.

In ANY context a Murdering Black People: Good for the Economy? headline is not only awful, it's just loving weird and, like you, I'm drawing a blank trying to invent any context at all where this makes sense.

It'd be like running a news graphic that shows the correlation between the unemployment rate and something like summer box office receipts for a Star Wars movie or the average wait time in a TSA line at the airport and trying to establish a link for whatever reason. Best I can come up with is that, since UE #'s were surprisingly better than expected and that somehow Wall Street is thriving through riots in the street and a global pandemic that we're supposed to be focusing on the economy and subliminally (I guess) connect the murders of black people to high stock yields (?)

I uh...I don't loving know what the point of it was or what the "context" could have been.

Ah, who am I kidding. It was my made up headline writ large. Rush and Hannity will spin it all Monday morning, explaining what the context really meant and how liberals and the fake news media are freaking out over nothing. I'll know what they said by listening to people talk in my lunch room Tuesday.

I'm not sure how you haven't worked it out yourself yet, to be honest. That's not meant to be snarky either.

It makes money.

Profit is the only god they worship, and that even itself isn't just by choice, it is the nature of the realm that Rupert Murdoch and his contemporaries existed and still exist in.

I'm sure this sounds obvious but if anyone hasn't worked out that the United States is a grift empire built on profit and the bodies of slaves you're getting all of the evidence necessary now.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
At the risk of putting too fine a point on it, this network makes its bones from literal ones. This isn't something that is fixable either. It is until it is not.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/Acyn/status/1269045567620964352

E:

E2:

https://twitter.com/BadFoxGraphics/status/1268910748538986504

https://twitter.com/BadFoxGraphics/status/1268911964945874945

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 7, 2020

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Agreed

There are actuaries they have to put monetary values on lives, and all sorts of grim analyses. And there are people that have to analyze the financial impact of global events because they have a fiduciary responsibility to their clients to manage their money. There’s no reason to put this on a cable news network. It would be like describing a murder as the loss of $1.2M worth of human life or whatever the actuarial value is.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

paternity suitor posted:

Agreed

There are actuaries they have to put monetary values on lives, and all sorts of grim analyses. And there are people that have to analyze the financial impact of global events because they have a fiduciary responsibility to their clients to manage their money. There’s no reason to put this on a cable news network. It would be like describing a murder as the loss of $1.2M worth of human life or whatever the actuarial value is.

"As a 45 year old drub addict all I see here is a pile of negative actuarial value. So, can you even say a murder occurred at all?" - A hyper-utilitarian ghoul somewhere

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

OneEightHundred posted:

Sean Hannity's radio show has almost the same number of listeners, and that's on top of his TV show.

The key difference here is Hannity's radio career is married to his Fox News program; take that away and it dies, which is exactly what happened to Bill O'Reilly when he tried turning to talk radio. Seriously, the last time he tried doing any type of media program post-firing it almost registered a big fat zero on the Nielsen raitings. Rush on the other hand built his entire empire on AM frequencies, he never needed to resort to television broadcasting. Hannity's only as strong as his arms work the company shaft, nobody will care about him once he inevitably screws up and gets fired one day.

Speaking of Rush, hurry up and die you pasty potatoheaded gently caress, christ almighty, drat cancer's taking too long to finish the job.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

paternity suitor posted:

Agreed

state governments assume it's three to ten times that, depending

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Parrotine posted:

The key difference here is Hannity's radio career is married to his Fox News program; take that away and it dies, which is exactly what happened to Bill O'Reilly when he tried turning to talk radio. Seriously, the last time he tried doing any type of media program post-firing it almost registered a big fat zero on the Nielsen raitings. Rush on the other hand built his entire empire on AM frequencies, he never needed to resort to television broadcasting. Hannity's only as strong as his arms work the company shaft, nobody will care about him once he inevitably screws up and gets fired one day.

Speaking of Rush, hurry up and die you pasty potatoheaded gently caress, christ almighty, drat cancer's taking too long to finish the job.

Shouldn't lung cancer kill faster then this?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Parrotine posted:

The key difference here is Hannity's radio career is married to his Fox News program; take that away and it dies, which is exactly what happened to Bill O'Reilly when he tried turning to talk radio.
I think what matters for being "the next Rush" is overall prominence and influence, and it makes much more sense for a personality to be a cross-media star right now than to build their whole empire on AM radio.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Tucker Carlson can’t understand* the point of a show made for preschoolers. https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1270507442074460161?s=21

*or willfully pretends not to understand in order to stoke his audience’s sense of grievance.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Good, gently caress 'em. If the whole world is saying "Don't be a racist piece of poo poo." and they don't even have Sesame Street as a safe space then hopefully they'll be so isolated from cutting off all the messages they don't like that they become irrelevant. I get that all the brands putting out social media statements are hollow, focus grouped PR moves with no genuine concern behind them but I'm hopeful that when it's coming from everywhere all the time these bigoted sacks of poo poo become cut off from the rest of society.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
How do they square being upset about "snowflakes" with getting offended by tea companies and loving Sesame Street?

"hahaha look at all these liberal soyboys! ...A CHILDREN'S TV SHOW MADE ME SAD! :qq:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

OneEightHundred posted:

I think what matters for being "the next Rush" is overall prominence and influence, and it makes much more sense for a personality to be a cross-media star right now than to build their whole empire on AM radio.

I agree with this, but usually people who transition from AM radio to television syndication build a more loyal conservative following (Glenn Beck* for example) than those who come out swinging on all media fronts out of the gate like Hannity.

*I have no clue how well Beck is doing these days ever since he went the 'Never Trump --> Suck up to Liberals --> Just Kidding Pay Me Money Conservatives' route. He could have bounced back or crashed hard trying for the recovery.