Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I am offically Not A Rascist.

Honestly that test was just kind of confusing. How is it supposed to prove anything?

I think the general idea is that if you had a subconscious bias you might be more prone to put good/bad with the little kids of one race or another and would do significantly differently when it's white/good black/bad compared to white/bad black/good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Gravel Gravy posted:

I am pretty sure he is wrapped in the equivalent of 6 rolls of bubble wrap.

That just means you need to shake him a lot longer.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Centripetal Horse posted:

This may be a valid tactic. In my anecdotal experience, there is an extraordinary amount of overlap between people who rabidly defend the right to keep guns, and people who want to use those guns almost exclusively to shoot minorities.

Well yeah the sane people who just shoot at targets or animals during hunting season are quiet about it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I'm bracing myself for a full day of

"They shouldn't have been antagonizing Muslims with the heresy. They knew they were likely to rile up extremists. It was their intent."

"SO YOU'RE SAYING THEY DESERVED TO DIE?!"

They didn't deserve it but they sure as hell seem to have wanted it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

TVs Ian posted:

Seems like it was a dick move to hold basically an anti-Islam event under the guise of free speech, especially since the hefty security shows they knew there was a good chance someone would attack and they could go "SEE?!"

On the other hand, it was way more of a dick move to actually attack them instead of protesting or holding a counter-event or something. Or even just ignoring it entirely.

Yeah it's a real "everyone involved in this was a dick" scenario.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah the general thing is that they are a bunch of petty assholes for organizing the event in the first place. Didn't deserve to get shot at, but petty assholes nonetheless.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

Uh, Joker, if a guy's wearing a huge rear end swastika and a little SS badge on his collar, you shouldn't have to ask to surmise that he's a Nazi.

He thought it was a joke, clearly :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Limbaugh strikes me as a lover of fois gras so that sounds about right coming from him.

Limbaugh can ramble on about whatever nonsense he wants, and his listeners will eat it up as long as he makes sure he includes words like "liberals" and "political correctness".

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Hillary is pretty Clintonesque.

I'm not sure I would count her as a young Democrat icon. I respect your pun, though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

I have to watch this every few months. It makes me feel less lovely about things.

I love watching the chair switch from mocking him a little to actually interested in the whole concept :allears:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

Wow, that disingenuous fuckwit. He is entirely responsible for his own predicament, and doesn't even have the grace to admit it. What an rear end in a top hat.

Yeah. ...I still hope he gets his eye surgery though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

I dunno if it's changed but in the 90's in grade school after the pledge of allegiance you had to make a separate pledge to Texas every day. I "got in trouble" for not doing this and they called my parents who were like "Why would he have to do that, why are you calling me about this?"

I did not have to do that in the late 90s. It might have changed or it might have been just your school.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Good lord why would you expect a successful restaurant to have any major difference from another one just because it's owned by black people?

Yeah yeah I know the answer is racism but still :psyduck:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

It has been several years but my Reagan-loving (named his daughter after him) conservative brother-in-law has always complained about soccer and how it was a boring, Unamerican game (refuses to call it a sport). His official reasoning is that you cannot be a superstar in soccer like you can in football, basketball and baseball so it is a Communist style game.

Someone's never heard of Pele, I see.

vvv: Ehhh it's fine that we both came up with it. He's only one of the most superstar motherfuckers in the entirety of sports, after all.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 24, 2015

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

"My [Political Orientation] Party is kicking your [Political Orientation] Party's rear end in three different fields by a 5-4 margin." :smugbert:

If you think about it that way, Fox News is really just a local Fox Sports affiliate devoted to its team that just loves to troll their rival.

Do the local Fox Sports affiliates commonly lie about the scores?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I have known two girls roughly my age named Regan and a friend just named his daughter Reagan.

It's just kind of a name at this point and only terrible by association to a guy.

I cousins named Irony and Omen and so my line on "when people should be chased away from the birth certificate at gunpoint" is a little skewed though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I was proud of myself for successfully soldering some stuff a few weeks ago. It's fun to learn a new thing even if you did look it up.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Reminder this is the American conservative education plan. Just look things up on wikipedia! You don't need health insurance, just buy this Apple Watch!

Yeah it's kinda dumb to extend it beyond stuff like "how to jumpstart a car", "how to solder", "how to turn off the water to your bathroom" but it has its place.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

I want to learn how Gordon Ramsay touches his meat.

edit: yea I purposefully said it like that. He's able to tell how well done it is by poking at it. I'd like to learn that on my own since I think it would help a lot without overcooking something or burning it like if I'm grilling.

With clean hands.

e: You can use the finger-thumb method. Touch the meaty part of your thumb. That would be raw. Touch your forefinger and thumb of that hand together, touch the meaty part again. That's rare. Middle is medium rare, ring is medium, pinky is well-done.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 26, 2015

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

First they came for THE TWITTER SHAREHOLDERS and I did not speak out because hahahha shut up Chuck Johnson.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

kik2dagroin posted:

"All there is on this program is 100 percent total honesty. And those times we're wrong, it's not because we're trying to be wrong. This program is a daily devotion to accuracy. There's nothing in it for me to be wrong about something. There's nothing in it for me to lie about something to create a false impression in your mind. There's nothing in it for me to convince you that something that's false is true. " - Rush Limbaugh, YESTERFUCKINGDAY

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2015/05/28/do_it_all_you_want_but_exercise_won_t_make_you_lose_weight

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2015/05/28/how_can_this_happen_in_san_francisco

Haha "It is impossible to lose weight exercising." That's loving magically dumb :allears:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Chantilly Say posted:

Anybody who makes it to old age and has time to regret clothing is either doing amazing in life for they're a dirty loving liar.

Everyone does that, though. Not DEEP regrets or anything like that, but occasionally you'll see an old picture of JNCOs or parachute pants and feel a pang of shame that you ever thought those were cool.

e: So not actual regret, even, just a sudden moment of shame on behalf of your past self.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

As far as the "conservative candidates who pass anti-gay legislation are actually repressing their own homosexuality and vindictively deciding anyone else should too" goes... Honestly I find it less depressing than the alternative "they don't actually give a poo poo either way and are just exploiting something for votes" because at least then there's something human about the action instead of calculated power grabbing :smith:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Bob James posted:

Without order there is chaos. First we let people cheer whenever they want, next thing you know they will be ripping out their own eyeballs and gangraping sea lions.

Pffft those loving slut sea lions were asking about it, hanging around the beach all the time like that, not even wearing decent clothing.

Lord but I hate that line of reasoning :smithicide:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

Consistently bad evaluations are one thing but I don't think a couple students complaining should threaten a career, and I don't think professors should be terrified of teaching standard literature that has been taught for decades. Obviously this isn't just a made up issue because even the professor who completely disagreed with the premise of the original article thinks it's an issue, they just disagree on what the cause of the issue is.

At least partially related to the fact that the guy was an adjunct and they get treated like shiiiiiit.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

What kind of wine goes great with 1%er ribs?

Whatever you stole out of their wine cellar.

e: ^^^ :argh:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

Guys, did you know that the cops going nuts on that pool party in Texas was all a ploy to distract from the most important issue the US faces?

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2015-06-10.html

I imagine that most of these things, when caught, are dealt with pretty quickly and so no one cares very much because "an violent criminal goes to prison" isn't newsworthy because that's the system working as intended.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Xibanya posted:

How do you swipe through your phone like a gay French king? Never heard of a French king who had a phone or liked to make swiping motions? That doesn't even work as an analogy. I guess he's saying kids are decadent like Louis XIV? And gay because gently caress gays? :confused:

Gay people are stereotyped as exaggeratedly effeminate with limp wrists, which I guess could result in hand-waving like you might do if you're scrolling really fast on a touchscreen.

It IS offensive but people don't laugh because it's just not a funny observation.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Man why has "I don't use [social media] :smug:" replaced "I don't even own a TV :smug:"

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

FMguru posted:

FACT: Before FDA approval of Fluoxitine (aka Proxac) in 1987, there was no racial violence in America.*

*Except black on white crime, of course.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I believe there's some debate on this passage but the consensus seems to be that the unpardonable sin is deliberately rejecting God. I.e., God will forgive anything except the refusal to ask for forgiveness.

Well yeah, that's a total contradiction.

Please note that for other interpretations, you end up with atheist clubs doing stupid things like giving out pizza for people to say "I deny the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost" which just seems really petty to me.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah it's also just such a weird interpretation. The link Hieronymous Alloy posted has a bunch of quotes from Christian scholars stating, basically, that everything is okay by God as long as you truthfully ask for forgiveness and do your penance at any point before you die.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Grey Fox posted:

Indeed, I want to see more of this:

Took me a minute to realize that I'm looking at a man standing in the exhaust fumes from his coal rolling pickup. Gross.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah I definitely don't think it's a practical idea, at least not with human drivers. An autonomous car racing league with no rules would be sweet but then again I'm a nerd who cares way more about the tech than the drivers.

A remote controlled deathrace would probably be amazing. At least once.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Right Wingers calling into the local talk station are crying about the abortion thing and the deal with Iran. They're now all convinced it's the end times, and that "GOD WILL PROTECT ISRAEL. ".

I still don't understand their loving infatuation with Israel. Every Jewish person I've ran into hates Evangelicals/Right Wingers and considers them frauds.

Israel has to be around for armageddon to happen. Someone called it "the bait for the Jesus trap" once and that's basically how that type of evangelical thinks about it. See also: that guy who's trying to breed red heifers and introduce them to Israel so that that part of the prophecy is fulfilled.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah around 5:22 she grabs his shoulder (or neck, I can't quite tell) and tells him that if he keeps that up he'll be going home in an ambulance.

This might be legally assault depending on which state this happened in.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Goatman Sacks posted:

I mean he has a point. McCain got a flight position he didn't deserve because of his daddy, crashed 4 planes, and then was punished for war crimes by the Vietnamese.

McCain is a poo poo idiot warhawk but saying he's poo poo because he was a prisoner of war is a special flavor of dick.

So many good reasons to call him poo poo and that's what Trump picks.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Goatman Sacks posted:

Don't cry about bamboo under your fingernails after dropping 500 pounds of napalm on children.

I think we're on the same page here, McCain sucks and did awful things but tons of people are PoW who didn't dump napalm on basically where the gently caress ever and in general "he got captured" is just a very weird thing to go after him for.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Leofish posted:

I know it's still really early in the interminable hellscape that is an American Presidential Election, but what is the Good Thread's honest opinion about Trump's actual, realistic odds of getting the GOP nom? The base may like him, but will there eventually come a moment where the party brass takes The Donald's ball away, tells him playtime is over, and puts forward someone else?

The magic is I have no idea! He's really terrible, but he has a bunch of support from people who just like someone who says the right weird things and is ~an outsider~. If he doesn't give up before the first primary it will be a "fun" test of how much the base has fractured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The only thing even near a bad story I've heard about him is some dude said he ran into him at an airport at like 2 am and said hi and he just kinda grumbled his hi back.

He used to be really Southern Baptist but actually left that recently more or less entirely because of their stance on gays so.