Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Hazo posted:

Browsing through the tv guide to find something after the game:

"We put a question mark at the end; that means it's real journalism!"

Doesn't really jive well with the narrative that the Cold War is starting back up or that it never ended. And given that Russia doesn't really give two damns about Cuba anymore...so what? It's like defending the Maginot Line after the tanks and bombers already zoomed past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

BiggerBoat posted:

Didn't Geraldo Rivera do essentially the exact same that Brian Williams did once? I want to say it was during the second Iraq war. I can look it up, of course, but the fact that I can recall so little of it from memory speaks to how little people seem to care when a right wing pundit does it.

It's like they're used to it.

He sure did: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/1365910/Gun-toting-Geraldo-under-fire-for-the-story-that-never-was.html

Kicker is he wasn't even near the area that he was talking about nor was it the same day. At least Williams can say he was there kinda.

Granted shouting and pointing out that "they do it too" doesn't excuse Williams that much.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

BiggerBoat posted:

Right, I'm not trying to excuse Williams or anything I just don't recall Geraldo's gently caress up being nearly the scandal that this is - or even what Dan Rather did. Williams and Rather or walking punchlines now and Geraldo just keeps on Geraldoing. I remember more poo poo about Al Capone's empty vault and the skinhead fight that erupted on his show than anything about what the link you posted.

Unrelated, but isn't that something else too? In the mid 80's or whenever it was, a fight broke out on a talk show and Geraldo got his nose broken or something. That was a big deal. Now it's simply expected to happen every day on Jerry Springer.

Right I wasn't implying you were, I may have just inserted my own commentary.

And Geraldo keeps Geraldoing largely because his audience doesn't really care that much, and FOX is the kind of media that will put up some crock for a week, find out it is false/gets called out on its BS, and then put a retraction on page 17-b between a used car ad and the horoscopes.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Radish posted:

One of the stereotypical right wingers in my office was next to my desk smugly asking another co-worker where people were going to get their made up news now? :ironicat:

Probably FOX.

Gravel Gravy posted:

Probably FOX.

:thejoke:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Limbaugh is incredibly butt hurt about all the praise Jon Stewart is getting.

I'm sure he has a pill or two for that.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Majorian posted:

Geraldo said a thing:

I'm sure Eric Garner will be relieved to hear it.

So according to Geraldo if you are a minority in the Bronx your only success levels are poverty or rapper?

Guess that keeps the high school career fairs pretty simple.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Duke Igthorn posted:

THERE'S your "very serious people" thread title

What about Don Lemon?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

FuzzySkinner posted:

Sean Hannity @seanhannity ·
AMERICAN Sniper snubbed by liberal hwood Predictable. #CluelessOscars

uh.

Okay.

It got Best Sound Editing Sean, is that not good enough for you? Why are you upsetting Clint Eastwood?

computer parts posted:

I was actually referring to the historical accuracy of the other Best Picture nominees this year but yes Selma was more accurate than Lincoln as well.

Birdman was historically accurate. Did you know that Michael Keaton was once Batman?

Batman - at + ird = Birdman. Whoa.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Kyle seemed like the type that would set up across from the Chinese Theater and take potshots at people leaving the Oscars for not winning enough awards.

Funny he'd remember Obama's stint as a JC Penny's fashion model but not his career as a US Senator or President.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

mr. mephistopheles posted:

And there's literally no reason for him to need to hold the baby in that scene. When the baby they were supposed to use got sick they should have just altered the scene. But Eastwood is so loving by-the-book as a director and apparently hates making any changes at all to the script which is why his movies are generally more decent than great.

Likely thought having a shot of him holding a baby would be the best way to humanize the guy, though came off more schlocky than anything else.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Technical Analysis posted:

"UN Takeover of Internet"

I know it's the old two faced thing again, but I love that whenever the UN is doing something that could be seen as even slightly negative against the right wing, they're some organization with limitless resources, but when the UN is putting sanctions on the Middle East or trying to bring vaccinations to third world countries, they're a complete joke.

I just want someone high up to call them out on this. The UN can't be both, for the sake of simplicity, pick one narrative and stick with it.

Best part about it is there are some places on the UNs website that looks maybe once removed from a Geocities page back in the day last I checked. Not sure how these people think UN taking over the internet is a thing.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

ShortStack posted:

I figured there weren't any new posts in the rwm tread because everything went dark after the FCC decision.

I think everyone migrated to the CPAC thread because that is kind of the right wing carnival.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Well after his career as a fringe political meme ends I'm sure he will still have Elvis presely wax figure stand in going for him.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Not sure why, but that white shirt is just asking for a ketchup/mustard stain.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

joeburz posted:

i have a constitutional right to fire projectiles through a car to kill someone

I don't know about you but I get pretty raged when a soccer mom in a Hummer decides to cut me off.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

CommieGIR posted:

So that idiot that gave his adopted daughter to another guy who then raped her? He apparently also kept his daughters in locked rooms with security cameras and alarms and had them exorcised to remove demons

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/davidbadash/justin_harris

Where the gently caress are you, CPS? :ohdear:

Isn't exorcism a Catholic thing? And isn't this in the Protestant bible belt? I thought they didn't take to well to Catholicism.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

What a whiny bitch

Ads are based off of search history, dude.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Tab8715 posted:

Anyone read the New York Times this morning?

Huckabee Pursues Unconventional Ways to Fund a Campaign

I knew Huckabee was kind of a odd Bafoon but not an actual scam artist.

He is really shooting himself in the foot by killing off his voter base like that.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Well at least you didn't sugarcoat it

No they already did.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Dirk the Average posted:

Of course, the hilarious thing is that even if everyone were white, we'd just go right back to hating the Irish.

Happy St. Patrick's day!

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Hasters posted:

As dumb as he is he does have a point, if your policy is going to be total acceptance no questions asked then you can't discriminate, even against idiots.

I doubt it was discrimination but more he was being a disruptive jackass.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Radish posted:

You have to tolerate my intolerance or otherwise you are a hypocrite checkmate.

Despite being incredibly wrong that was a funny south park episode.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

VitalSigns posted:

Bush hasn't been president since 1992. Yeah sure his job-killing tax hike was bad but it's time to stop blaming him for the obama-economy.

If anything it is Clinton's administration's fault for bringing the economy up so much so it could be brought down so much lower.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

A Winner is Jew posted:

State of the Union's?

The XXX movie with Ice Cube?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Deep Hurting posted:

:banjo: Con-serv-a-tive cool gu-uuy... :banjo:

Some days I miss the CAD edit threads.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

CommieGIR posted:

Seriously, how anyone can claim the 'Drunk Bar Brawl' Palin's are the superior American family is an astounding leap of logic :psyduck:

Have you got a paper bag?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

robotsinmyhead posted:

That pizza place is in a really tiny, really lovely, literally one-horse town about 15min from where I live. The largest restaurant is a McDonald's. If this dust settles and they reopen, they're likely to get the Chik-fil-A treatment where a bunch of bigoted weirdos patronize the place for a few weeks, then business will fall off and they'll close.

So how has the horse been propping the place up with it's business for this long?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

AsInHowe posted:

Same thing with Chick-Fil-A. Most people have no idea what that business actually did or said. They just know that Chick-Fil-A is vaguely persecuted Christian, so give them your money.

Are you sure about this? Chic fil A has long been known for their Christian backing? Closed on Sundays, their toy promotions whathaveyou. The CFA protests were not framed in a way that excluded the anti-gay element.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

AsInHowe posted:

As someone in Michigan, where I don't think there's any real chick-fil-a restaurant, I sort of knew about the company from afar just be a national advertising on college football and things like that.

It wasn't until the anti gay stuff though, that I had people trying to tell us that we need to drive hours south to go to Ohio, just to patronize chick-fil-a restaurants.

Sounds like the Chic-fil-A stuff is about as "Christian rights not anti-gay" as the civil war was was about "state's rights not slavery".

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Radish posted:

Haha what are they even asking the money for? This really gets to the meat of the issue of "charity" vs a government safety net. People want their money going to support idiotic grifting bigots not starving children or the unemployed.

At the end of the day it is all about feeling good about yourself. It really feeds into the schadenfreude when you can be both altruistic and stick it to something you don't like.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

FuzzySkinner posted:

You know, it's sad.

Can you imagine that 500k going to something useful? You know how many people are having trouble getting food on the table right now? You know how many bright people will never go to college? Imagine if that money actually went to something useful instead of a couple dipshits that made lovely pizza and have awful opinions?

But this is America, and the christian right we're discussing. Frauds.

Mainstream Christianity in the US is overall fraudulent. It isn't about doing good it's about making people feel good.

I remember I went to an event with some international students around Christmas time. They were offered a free lunch and a musical show and they swore to me it wasn't about religion. We got there and it was in a huge mega-church.

Then the preacher started going into this rant about "reaping what you sow" and said something along the lines of "And here we have these foreign students, many of whom come from ravaged countries or do not have access to the same things we do etc. Let's practice what we preach and reap what we sow."

So they corralled these students to the front of everybody, and handed them these little baskets so that they could line up and receive $1 or $5 donations from passers by. Many of the students didn't really understand English well enough to know what was going on but when they found out they were to embarrassed and mortified to do jack about it.

So everyone in the congregation got to feel real good about themselves by giving practically nothing, all at the expense of others. That's American Christianity.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

VideoTapir posted:

Where were the international students from? This story would be extra special if they were all from like Japan or Hong Kong or Europe.

Honestly, though, it sounds like they got a uniquely American experience that they'll remember forever. They learned more about America in a couple hours than they'd learn in semesters of classes.

From all over the place really, Iran, Afghanistan, Burma, Pakistan, China, Korea, Japan, India, Sierra Leone, etc. I think even the richer Saudi kids got up there too to illustrate how dense these people were.

I recall one story the preacher went on about how his son was a Doctor w/o Borders in Syria and how he patched up everybody, and when confronted by a Syrian bus driver he said "I do this because I am Christian". The preacher finished by saying "The bus driver is now Christian:smug:" or some nonsense.

Edit: This was about two years ago btw.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Good Citizen posted:

This article:
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/04/02/americas-civilian-in-chief-exploited-militarys-sacred-bond-for-sake-politics/

"Let me spend several paragraphs telling you how 'never leave a man behind' is a sacred vow that should never be broken. In summary, we should have left that man behind.

PS: Benghazi "

gently caress you

He left them behind first, ipso foxo invalid.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Kellsterik posted:

I like how using "Civilian in Chief" subtly suggests a problem with civilian control of the military.

Must have a bone to pick with Morgenthau.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Armyman25 posted:

Anyone else sick of SEALs being held up as the end all, be all of the US military?

I mean, I am just a lowly National Guardsmen, I guess my years of service in Iraq don't count?

Your posting here, and the fact that you are questioning it means that you aren't the real American Hero™ they should idolize.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Sir Tonk posted:

To be fair, Guardsmen are pretty lazy compared to active duty.

See Bush Jr. vs. John Kerry.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Republicans posted:

As we've seen with Michael Brown he could have just been getting the distance he needed to turn around and bull charge the officer. Good thing this guy was a better shot. Good shoot.

And what grouping!

Vahakyla posted:

Reminder that the State Law Enforcement Division did charge and get a conviction against Charleston County Sheriff Al Cannon for a third degree battery for slapping a dude in handcuffs with an open hand.

I posted these in the cop bash thread here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3701648

Recent South Carolina things:

-State Trooper Gubert, shot a dude reaching for licence. Didn't die. Fired, booked, waiting for trial.
-Charleston County Sheriff Cannon, slapped a dude in handcuffs. Convicted of third-degree assault and battery. Got diversion on condition of counseling like the usual state standard is for first timers. Hilariously booked into "Sheriff Al Cannon Detention Center".
-Berkeley CountySheriff H. Wayne DeWitt, arrested and booked into Al Cannons county jail. Resigned, State troopers charged him with evading and DUI. Awaiting trial.
-Orangeburg, A white police chief who fatally shot an unarmed black man in South Carolina in 2011 was charged with murder, and his lawyer accused prosecutors of taking advantage of national outrage toward police to get the indictment. It ended up in a Mistrial in 2014, but Solicitor General said he is preparing another set of charges and another trial in late-2015.

Yeah from what I recall they are pretty quick to lock their officers down when they screw up. Right before I moved they had a deputy get into a DUI wreck on the interstate lost his job and charged before he managed to get hungover.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I never even considered the idea of saying "he stole my taser" as justification for a shooting. That's pretty convenient. It's like you're walking around with completely above board tax payer funded evidence to plant right there on your belt.

Yep. As far as I'm concerned the body camera debate is over. We need them on every officer and we need stiff penalties for incidents where they're magically turned off or not worn.

Edit: However I still think the better solution is citizens recording every interaction with the police they see along with memorization of the phrase "It's rendering directly to youtube". It's not even like we need to catch every one of these shootings for it to be effective. Just the more you do catch the more an officer has to think twice before doing something lovely. Just don't end up like the dude filming Eric Garner....hand your phone to a less shady friend I guess.

I'm surprised North Charleston will be among the first departments to take up body cams.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I still do a double take every time I'm reminded that SC re-elected Mark Sanford.

Sanford ran on an R ticket when Colbert's sister ran on D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Did he provide names, or is it like having an anonymous black friend to excuse racism?

Like any black person would be caught dead with the guy.