Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Deptfordx posted:

I wonder if you invested heavily in Gun company stocks the day Obama took office, how well you'd have made out.

Edit: I looked up 'Smith and Wesson' and you'd have made a fortune. It's stock values increased almost 1000% since his first inauguration.

Conversely, how do gun stocks manage when a Republican takes office? And what other stocks tend to dip or jump when people of whatever party get elected? Not that I can actually invest in US stocks all that easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It pains me to say something that could be considered positive about Reagan, but Reagan was at least coachable and generally aware that he was not the supreme expert on all matters. If Trump had those qualities it would be an exceptionally scary situation.

RWM messaging really matured and came into its own under Reagan. The far right xenophobic demagoguery had been around forever, but in the 60s and 70s it was decidedly fringe, even if people were functionally still very comfortable with a lot of implicit and explicit racism. In the early 80s it went full circle and the southern strategy policies came back and were re-infused with racist imagery (eg young bucks and welfare queens).

Generally aware is a good term given his massive Alzheimer's issues.

I suppose having dementia become synonymous with mainstream Republican politics is an apt description of events.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I forget, who is the guy that tweeted out something akin to "If coronavirus deaths in the US end up being under 200000, can we all agree Trump is the best President ever?", back when we either hadn't hit 100k yet or people were seeing a slowdown? He might have deleted the tweet since then but it would be interesting if he hadn't.