Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I had to wait 90 minutes to pick up my car from a body shop this afternoon, with only Fox News for any stimulation.

I did my best to tune it out, but from their five o'clock news, I learned:

- 60 Minutes asking Boehner if he practiced his scowl is VERY SERIOUS BUSINESS and the liberal media would never ask that of a liberal (shows footage from a Reagan and Bush Sr. state of the union speeches with men scowling behind him). Never mind that what they're showing is 20-30 years old and that it 60 Minutes meant their question to be light-hearted.

- Dana Perino (who has a book coming out, which was creeped on later) had no idea who Marilyn Manson is. Manson has opinions on Charlie Hebdo. Manson is treated like someone who is currently a Very Important Figure and is called "disgusting" and they were very confused by his name gimmick. They understood the combination of Charles Manson and Marilyn Monroe, but didn't understand what it meant at all: "I've never heard of a man named Marilyn."

I shudder to think if they find out about Alice Cooper.

Ads included the price of silver is falling and we'll give you up to $200 of it for free and one for Lifelock.

I wanted to punch that TV so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

DrProsek posted:

The thing that gets me most about that portrait is that going off of the outline around his left leg, he seems to be casting two completely unrelated shadows, or has some kind of aura of power radiating off of him.

I'm convinced that it's a page from the official Bobby Jindal sticker book.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

And someone's local Fox anchor just used a racial slur to describe Lady Gaga's music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R4EimDlDEc&t=20s

"Raw Story posted:

After several people complained to Capel on Twitter, she cut and pasted the same explanation to each of them.

“I apologize if I offended you, I had no idea it was a word or what it meant. Thank you for watching,” Capel wrote.

EDIT: I know local Fox has zero to do with big Fox, but since there was some Oscars/racist discussion going on here...

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 23, 2015

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I live in the very deep south where there are lots of apologist dumbasses. Fortunately, I am connected to very few, but this beaut was posted on Facebook today.

Includes a made up Grant quote, a hilarious bit about finances and the usual ridiculous claim that the south was deemphasizing slavery.

quote:

2 Million Bikers to DC
STOP revisionist History! KNOW THE FACTS!

When history is distorted someone needs to re-post the FACTS!

The Confederate Battle Flag was never a National Flag of the Confederacy. It was carried into battle by several armies such as the Army Of Northen Virginia and the Army of Tennessee. Was also used as a Naval Jack by the Confederate Navy.

History books, the media, the school systems, etc abound in falsehoods and inaccuracies of Confederate and Southern history. This fact sheet will help to clarify and dispell some of these rampant inaccuracies.

MYTH - The War of 1861 - 1865 was fought over slavery.
FACT - Terribly untrue. The North fought the war over money. Plain and simple. When the South started Secession, Lincoln was asked, "Why not let the South go in peace?" To which he replied, "I can't let them go. Who would pay for the government?" Sensing total financial ruin for the North, Lincoln waged war on the South. The South fought the War to repel Northern aggression and invasion.

MYTH - Only Southerners owned slaves.
FACT - Entirely untrue. Many Northern civilians owned slaves. Prior to, during and even after the War Of Northern Aggression.
Surprisingly, to many history impaired individuals, most Union Generals and staff had slaves to serve them! William T. Sherman had many slaves that served him until well after the war was over and did not free them until late in 1865.

U.S. Grant also had several slaves, who were only freed after the 13th amendment in December of 1865. When asked why he didn't free his slaves earlier, Grant stated "Good help is so hard to come by these days."

Contrarily, Confederate General Robert E. Lee freed his slaves (which he never purchased - they were inherited) in 1862!!! Lee freed his slaves several years before the war was over, and considerably earlier than his Northern counterparts. And during the fierce early days of the war when the South was obliterating the Yankee armies!

Lastly, and most importantly, why did NORTHERN States outlaw slavery only AFTER the war was over? The so-called "Emancipation Proclamation" of Lincoln only gave freedom to slaves in the SOUTH! NOT in the North! This pecksniffery even went so far as to find the state of Delaware rejecting the 13th Amendment in December of 1865 and did not ratify it (13th Amendment / free the slaves) until 1901!

MYTH - The Confederate Battle Flag was flown on slave ships.
FACT - NONE of the flags of the Confederacy or Southern Nation ever flew over a slave ship. Nor did the South own or operate any slaves ships. The English, the Dutch and the Portugese brought slaves to this country, not the Southern Nation.

BUT, even more monumental, it is also very important to know and understand that Federal, Yankee, Union ships brought slaves to America! These ships were from the New England states, and their hypocrisy is atrocious.

These Federals were ones that ended up crying the loudest about slavery. But without their ships, many of the slaves would have never arrived here. They made countless fortunes on the delivery of slaves as well as the products madefrom raw materials such as cotton and tobacco in the South.

This is the problem with Yankee history History is overwhelmingly portrayed incorrectly by most of the Federal & Yankee books and media.

MYTH - The Confederate Battle Flag represented the Southern Nation.
FACT - Not true. While the Southern Battle flag was carried into battle, the Southern Nation had 3 different National flags during the course of the war.

The First National flag was changed due to a resemblance of the US flag.

The Second National flag was subsequently modified due to the similarity to a flag of truce.

The Third National flag was the adopted flag of the Confederacy.

The Confederate Battle Flag was never a National Flag of the Confederacy. It was carried into battle by several armies such as the Army Of Northen Virginia and the Army of Tennessee. Was also used as a Naval Jack by the Confederate Navy.

MYTH - The Confederate Battle Flag is known as the "Stars & Bars".
FACT - A common misconception. The First National Confederate Flag is correctly known as the "Stars & Bars". The Confederate Battle Flag is known as the "Southern Cross".

MYTH - The Confederate Battle Flag represents racism today.
FACT - The Confederate Battle Flag today finds itself in the center of much controversy and hoopla going on in several states. The cry to take this flag down is unjustified. It is very important to keep in mind that the Confederate Battle Flag was simply just that. A battle flag. It was never even a National flag, so how could it have flown over a slave nation or represented slavery or racism? This myth is continued by lack of education and ignorance. Those that villify the Confederate Battle Flag are very confused about history and have jumped upon a bandwagon with loose wheels.

MYTH - The United States Flag represented freedom.
FACT - No chance. The US flag flew over a slave nation for over 85 years! The North tolerated slavery and acknowledged it as a Division Of Labor. The North made a vast fortune on slavery and it's commodities. It wasn't until the South decided to leave the Union that the North objected. The North knew it could not survive without the Southern money. That is the true definition of hypocrisy.

MYTH - Abraham Lincoln was the Great Emancipator.
FACT - While Lincoln has went down in history as the Great Emancipator, many would not care to hear his real thoughts on people of color. Martyred President Abraham Lincoln was fervently making plans to send all freed slaves to the jungles of Central America once the war was over. Knowing that African society would never allow the slaves to return back to Africa, Lincoln also did not want the slaves in the US. He thought the jungles of Central America would be the best solution and conducive to the freed slaves best interest. The only thing that kept this from happening, was his assassination.

MYTH - The South revered slavery.
FACT - A very interesting fact on slavery is that at the time the War of 1861 -1865 officially commenced, the Southern States were actually in the process of freeing all slaves in the South. Russia had freed it's servants in 1859, and the South took great note of this. Had military intervention not been forced upon the South, a very different America would have been realized then as well as now.

MYTH - The Confederate Army was comprised of rich slave owners.
FACT - Very far from true. The vast majority of soldiers in the Confederate Army were simple men of meager income. Most of which were hard working farmers and common men. Then, as now, very few rich men ever fight a war.

MYTH - Only the North had men of color in their ranks.
FACT - Quite simply a major falsehood of history. Many blacks, both free and of their own will, joined the Confederate Army to fight for their beloved Southern home. Additionally, men of other ethnic extraction fought as well. Oriental, Mexican & Spanish men as well as Native American Indians fought with pride for the South.

Today, many men of color are members in the heritage group SCV - Sons Of Confederate Veterans. These men of color and pride rejoice in their heritage. The continued attacks on the Southern Nation, The Confederacy, and her symbols are a terrible outrage to these fine people. These attacks should be denounced with as much fervor as those who denounce the South.

MYTH - The Confederate Flags are an authorized symbol of Aryan, KKK and hate groups.

FACT - Quite the contrary. These dispicable organizations such as the KKK and Aryans have taken a hallowed piece of history, and have plagued good Southern folks and the memories of fine Confederate Soldiers that fought under the flag with their perverse agenda. IN NO WAY does the Confederate Flag represent hate or violence. Heritage groups such as the SCV battle daily the damage done to a proud nation by these hate groups. The SCV denounces all hate groups, and pridefully boast HERITAGE - NOT HATE.

MYTH - The SCV - Sons Of Confederate Veterans are a racist, hate group.
FACT - This is a blatant attack on one of the finest heritage groups ever. The SCV - Sons Of Confederate Veterans are a historical, patriotic and non-political organization comprised of descendents of Confederate Soldiers and sailors dedicated to insuring that a true history of the 1861 -1865 period is preserved and presented to the public. The SCV continues to educate the public of the memory and reputation of the Confederate soldier as well as the motives for his suffering and sacrifice.

The SCV - Sons Of Confederate Veterans are in NO WAY affiliated with, nor does it recognize or condone the terrible legacy of hate groups such as the KKK.

http://www.rulen.com/myths/

http://www.civilwar.com/%85/150182-confederate-flag-history.history.html

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

One of the politically loonier people on my Facebook linked to a state senator's post calling for investigation. The comments, uh, took a weird turn:

quote:

This has been going on for a while, the government knows about it, and this is timed just right...to draw attention to this issue so we'll not see the USA being groomed for martial law. Wake up, America!!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I never thought I'd feel sorry for Lindsey Graham.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Mister Macys posted:

This needs to be said, over and over. It wasn't until 1965 that it went up all over the south as a gently caress you to civil rights.

Not 1865, immediately after the war's end.

1965. A century later.

Georgia got its gently caress you in early; theirs changed in 1956.

I'm a descendant of a Confederate sod buried in a mass grave at a Maryland prison camp.

I was dragged up there as part of a family trip. The camp flew a Confederate battle flag in memoriam, but for whatever reason, the one they chose was the stars and bars.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

beatlegs posted:

Naturally. Probably just the tip of the iceberg.

Looks like he might also have an OKCupid profile.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

The True Conservatives On Twitter have already adopted "amendments aren't the constitution" as a mantra, I was confused before I popped into here but I guess this 14th amendment thing is why. No mention of how they feel about the second.

By that logic, let's run Obama for a third term.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

You know (probably) who golfed less than Reagan in office?

FDR.

I bet George Washington, Abraham Lincoln and even James Madison golfed less than Reagan and Madison actually had a legit war on his hands.

I bet Obama's gone horseback riding fewer times in office, too.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Reminder: Georgia has a state historic site dedicated to Jefferson Davis' capture. In theory, that's good. No more Jeff Davis. But in reality it's a lament to the death of the Confederacy.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Looks like the Breitbart family might have to pay up to Shirley Sherrod..

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

BarbarianElephant posted:

Yep. And remember that this was the safe country that Jewish people were selling everything they owned to try and get to. Other countries... were less positive.

Morons are people who suppose that views throughout history are the same as in the present day. That the Nazis in the 1930s were the pitiful bullies that populate our prisons today.

Is it some kind of superpower to realize that the people of the past had different opinions to us? I find a lot of historical novels unreadable due to them being entirely populated by characters with enlightened modern-day views, with a few modern-day bigots to stand in as villains.

And the U.S. rejected a ship of Jewish refugees in 1939.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Not that I needed more evidence that Harris County, GA, is backwoods, but

"Columbus Ledger-Enquirer posted:

In an effort to "stir people's belief and patriotism," Harris County Sheriff Mike Jolley posted a new sign Tuesday morning outside of his department that says his county is politically incorrect, and if you have a problem with that, you can leave.

Paid for by Jolley, the sign reads: "WARNING: Harris County is politically incorrect. We say: Merry Christmas, God Bless America and In God We Trust. We salute our troops and our flag. If this offends you… LEAVE!"

Jolly said Tuesday he was tired of the silent majority becoming "more silent."

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

Out of curiosity, is there legislation which requires that print newspapers issue corrections on factual errors, or is that simply something they do because they want to be, well, factual?

The latter.

It's a combination of that and also if you're getting emails and phone calls screaming at you, you want that to stop.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Plinkey posted:

This is a thing that happened and happens somewhat offen. The person in charge of buying the tickets ended up with a winner. I think a few 10s of millions. She claimed that it was not from the office cash box, but purchased separately on her own dime so she should get all of it. I can't find the article so I'm not sure how it turned out. I want to say it was in the midwest somewhere.

Our office drew up a quick written contract that we all had to sign.

The 10 tickets had a grand total of one matching number.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

It's Georgia so nothing's going to happen, but a state associate superintendent decided it was good idea to post racist images on his public Facebook page. The page that also identifies himself as an associate superintendent.

Sadly, there will be many educators across the state who will back him up.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Georgia state rep: KKK made people 'straighten up'

quote:

Benton, a retired middle school history teacher, equates Confederate leaders with the American revolutionaries of the 18th century — fighting a tyrannical government for political independence.

“The war was not fought over slavery,” he said. Those who disagree “can believe what they want to,” he said.

quote:

Benton said there are two sides to that story as well. The Klan “was not so much a racist thing but a vigilante thing to keep law and order,” he said.

“It made a lot of people straighten up,” he said. “I’m not saying what they did was right. It’s just the way things were.”

quote:

Benton has another bill, House Bill 854, which would require streets named in honor of veterans that have been renamed since 1968 revert back to their original names. That bill has no cosponsors and — for both political and practical reasons — is unlikely to get a hearing, but were it to pass it would result in a portion of Martin Luther King Boulevard revert back to its original name, Gordon Road.

King was assassinated in 1968. The Gordon, of course, was a Confederate general

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Radish posted:

"But what if Bob says he's Frank and then votes in TWO districts??" It's funny that every election one Tea Partier will try this to prove voter fraud is real and get busted big time.

My dad used to tell me stories about Democratic guys rounding up the homeless and giving them a pack of cigarettes in exchange for their votes. Assuming that's true (maybe it happened one time and isn't an urban legend) thinking back that's totally fair since that's still a lot more than anything the GOP was going to do for them so it's the sensible decision on their part.

One of the theories behind Edgar Allan Poe's death is that he was boozed up by some political bosses so he could vote in multiple districts.

There is also Georgia's three governors controversy of 1946. Everyone involved except one man was Democratic, simply because it was the only viable political party. Since it was the south, Dems were all various shades of racist.

An ailing Eugene Talmadge was elected governor, but died before inauguration. Lt. governor M.E. Thompson declared he was governor. Exiting governor Ellis Arnall refused to vacate initially, but nodded in favor of Thompson. The state didn't have any plan.

Talmadge's managers knew something was going on, so they had encouraged some voters to write-in his son Herman. In the write-in category Herman was third with 617 votes, trailing James Carmichael (669) and the lone Republican candidate D. Talmadge Bowers (637). In the nick of time, though, some 56 votes were discovered in the name of Herman in Telfair County.

The Talmadges were from Telfair County.

A careful investigation discovered that some people insisted they didn't vote for Herman, some of the voters on the list were dead and a good many of them were listed in alphabetical order.

Herman Talmadge claimed the win, but it was overturned in courts, going to Thompson. A special election in 1948 installed Herman as governor.

Herman Talmadge would soon set up a educational spending program to equalize the state's schools. It was definitely beneficial as the state of educational was awful for white and black students, especially the latter. It was also a plan to keep the federal government out of the state and ensure segregation (see, it's really separate and equal). Talmadge's hand-picked successor, Marvin Griffin, campaigned on the issue of segregation in schools. As did his Democratic challengers (Griffin won) and as did the winner of the next gubernatorial election, Ernest Vandiver, though he put up little resistance as the university system and Atlanta high schools were integrated.

When Georgia had three governors.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I'm beginning to see bits of soft evangelical backlash against Trump. One of the more fervent individuals on my Facebook just posted something by Max Lucado.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Jurgan posted:

Also, which party's favorite president was a cowboy actor?

... who they began using in the late 1940s/early 1950s to make speeches at various events.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Chilichimp posted:

I wonder what his views are on federal disaster relief.

Look, he doesn't live in Albany and he doesn't give a poo poo if it floods again.

If Cobb/Lee/other white flight area/mountain county happens to flood/get snow/lose golf course, now that's a problem.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 9, 2016

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I didn't see Matt Walsh's Facebook post on the last two pages. Someone on my feed thought this was actual logic.

""Matt Walsh's bullshit" posted:

A quick note about the latest Trumproversy (Trump-related controversy) because many readers have asked me about it.
Trump was on MSNBC earlier today and the subject of abortion came up. It's bad news when any subject comes up around Trump because he's a hollow-skulled nincompoop who doesn't know anything, believe anything, or care about anything other than his own pomp and publicity. But it's especially bad news when abortion comes up around him, because he's a pro-abortion Planned Parenthood apologist vaguely pretending to be pro-life, and his random, semi-coherent pronouncements on the issue -- the most crucial issue facing civilized humanity, by the way -- will immediately be painted as representative of the movement as a whole. A movement of which Trump is not a part, has never been a part, and has never done anything in his life to help or advance.
It went about as badly as you'd expect. And because this is Trump we're talking about, it managed at the very end to sink even lower than your lowest expectations. At first, when asked whether the government should criminalize abortion, Trump repeated feminist talking points by mentioning back-alley abortions. Actually, when asked specifically how to ban abortion, which is a question any truly pro-life politician should be able to answer half asleep or in a morphine-induced coma, Trump said this:
"Uh, yeah, well you know, you'll... go back... to a position.. like, they had... where people will... perhaps go to... illegal places, but you have to ban it."
This is a man who has not the slightest clue what he's talking about, as usual.
The anchor was then able to easily back Trump into a corner, forcing Trump to endorse "punishments" for post-abortive women. Within three hours, he changed his position, saying he does not endorse punishments for women, and also saying that his position, which he just changed a moment ago, has not changed. Donald Trump emits lies like flatulent cows emit methane. He lies about everything, constantly, all the time.
But during the 160 minute window when Trump was "in favor" of punishing women who get abortions, his fans on social media, most of whom have spent months insisting that abortion isn't an important issue because immigration is the only issue in the whole universe, suddenly decided they and Trump were not only extremely anti-abortion, but more anti-abortion than every pro-lifer criticizing Trump for his comments.
Naturally, when Trump changed his mind, all of his supporters reverted back to not caring about abortion again. These people are, for the most part, empty vessels just waiting to be filled with whatever arbitrary idea Donald Trump stammered about today. They abandon the idea as soon as Trump does, and the process repeats the next day.
This is one of the many, many, many reasons why Trump will be a terrible nominee. He cannot coherently defend or articulate any conservative position because he doesn't understand or care about any of it. On abortion, he is easily the most incompetent pro-life spokesman the GOP have ever pulled out of the swamp, and that is saying quite a lot.
As far as the "issue" of punishing women who get abortions: it's not an issue. Trump only said it because he's a bumbling, ridiculous con artist who says whatever he thinks a conservative might say in that situation, and then promptly amends or denies what he just said as soon as we conservatives inform him, no, that's not what we'd say.
I've known a lot of very dedicated pro-lifers in my day, and I've never heard a single one of them seriously advocate punishments for post-abortive women. I'm not saying they don't exist, but in my experience, the pro-lifers actually out there working for the cause, investing their time and resources in it, showing up at the clinics and so on, understand that we will not win the fight by talking about punishments for the women.
Here's what I'd do if it were up to me: I'd lock every doctor and Planned Parenthood official in prison on capital murder charges. For the women, I would do what the pro-life movement is already doing and has been doing for decades: minister to them, counsel them, offer them healing and mercy.
It is the abortion industry that discards women and treats them like filth once it gets what it wants from them. Pro-lifers, on the other hand, reach out in love and compassion. Pro-lifers have always been the compassionate ones in this debate. Pro-lifers have always been the ones who care about women. And that fact has been an enormously effective weapon in our favor. An incalculable number of women have come to the cause, perhaps after an abortion or after considering it, when they see that pro-lifers care about them and care about babies, while the clinics care only about their bottom line. Loving the post-abortive women saves lives. It just does. It saves lives. Period. Talking about putting them in jail does not. It's that simple.
Women are victims of abortion, too. Yes, they choose it, but they are still being physically, emotionally, and spiritually damaged by it. The clinics prey on the women. The clinics feed on a woman's fear and ignorance. It's important that we understand this. Not to excuse it -- come on, you know me, I'm the last person to excuse abortion -- but to fully put into perspective just how evil and manipulative is the abortion industry. Let them feel the wrath of justice. They are the dealers and the pimps in this scenario. They need to be punished. The women have already punished themselves, whether they know it or not. All that we can do for them is love them. That's how we protect life and win souls.
If Trump were a real pro-lifer, he'd know that.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

He's never getting the other voters back, why would be chase off the jesus freaks?

Worked for George Wallace.

When forced to integrate the University of Alabama, Wallace claimed it was completely against his will and he fought tooth and nail against it. He wanted to even look more like force, like perhaps a press photo of feds with guns against him, but the federal government refused.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

FuzzySkinner posted:

My Trump voting "libertarian/centrist" voting younger brother:
"His stance on LGBT rights is disgusting. His version of Christianity is insane. He sounds like Roger the Alien from "American Dad". Had he won the nomination? I'd have voted for Hillary".

I find that hysterical, just because Roger's voice is based on Paul Lynde.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

https://twitter.com/mattwalshblog/status/729824471775731712

If I'm not mistaken, Jim Crow laws had absolutely nothing to do with legalizing lynching.

Nope. If anything, though, Jim Crow laws popularized the definition of lynching. Prior to the 1870s, you occasionally come across stories in the contemporary media where someone was lynched and still alive..

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Rick_Hunter posted:

I wish there was more to this but the entire CNN story is bare bones:

There's an updated one now

quote:

Sources familiar with the governor's thinking told CNN that the decision to veto the bill "weighed heavily" on the anti-abortion rights governor, but that the "hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees" faced by the state from a near-certain Constitutional challenge to the bill eventually led to her veto.

I'm willing to accept victories, even when they're totally over money lost and not because of any ounce of compassion or empathy.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Goatman Sacks posted:

Not necessarily right-wing media per se, but an 8 year old boy in St. Louis accidentally killed himself with his parents gun, and the local news outlet decides to run a picture of him flashing gang signs

It feels petty to have that piss me off so much, but seriously, could they not get a picture of an 8 year old that wouldn't make 50% of America shrug and think they probably deserved it?

They either grabbed it off Facebook or the family provided it, most likely the former.

In a jiffy, you go to Facebook and that's quite possibly the only labeled/confirmed photo of the kid they could find. They perhaps should have cropped it down to a headshot, but if they were working in a hurry? Copy and paste.

I work in print media and while we rarely have to go raid someone's Facebook for a breaking story to post on ours, if it's what you have, it's what you have. Stories work much better with pictures. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt only because we've had to use crappy blown-out hazy Facebook pictures before and probably by sheer luck, we haven't had to make a decision as to whether or not it's a picture of the best taste.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

ISIS: Americans shoot eachother all the time :smugdog:

The Soviets (and others) had their own response.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Rick_Hunter posted:

Although it's O'Keefe's mo, most of Sherrod's firing is Breitbart alone.

The Sherrod smear campaign always bothered me because I'm from that area of the country.

Sherrod's speech was shown on a public access channel ... than perhaps only 25,000 people could receive. Who the hell was watching Douglas' public access channel, recorded the speech and then had then sent it to Breitbart? Douglas isn't just small, but incredibly rural and even more insignificant.

Did this person edit it in Douglas or did Breitbart? Breitbart always claimed that he only had a portion of the speech, but he was always full of poo poo.

Worse, these shitheads victimized someone who already had lived through the racially motivated murder of her father, which being the Jim Crow south, saw the killer go free.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

Is the AP just trying to generate clicks with the misleading stories or are they biased against the Clintons?

Being in the media, I have access to the AP's repository of stories that we can use for our press and/or website.

The repository has had a special election section for a few months. It seems like 90% of the featured articles (those on the preview before you click on the main section) are dedicated to debunking Trump.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

A couple of reasons:

1. McGovern was the Bernie of his day except the electorate was all Baby Boomer scum. Nixon was actually popular.
2. He ran a terrible campaign and was personally kind of a square. He picked his running mate at random at the last minute. As noted, Eagleton had a history of mrntal illness and McGovern first supported him publicly then dropped him
3. Nixon ratfucked the dem primaries which, among other things, helped further the gap between McGovern and the rest of the party.
4. The head of the AFL-CIO was a pro-war, social conservative who refused to back McGovern.
5. Nixon's October surprise was announcing the effective end of America's involvement in Vietnam.
6. Nixon's campaign was ran by basically all the future media men of the right (Ailes especially) who were a generation ahead in terms of narrative crafting.

Goon favorite Nixonland goes into greater detail.

The 1972 Democratic National Convention is one of the most insane things ever wrought. You think the Dems are split now? There were about 50 different platforms in 1972. And among the nominations for vice president were Mao and Archie Bunker.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

comingafteryouall posted:

Looking at all the reporter email addresses, do reporters get tons of spam mail from insane racists all the time? Must be a real pain to manage.

Probably because of my section, I don't see much racist vitriol.

But because our spam filter is awful, I get a hell of a lot of emails about the Boner Brew, which will make you a better screw.

We also get spam faxes from time to time. Many of those are political and/or about business loans.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Stone Mountain's carvings weren't finished until 1972.

It had been originally started in the 1920s, but they ran out of money and the sculptor left town.

The south used to have a fair amount of memorials and tributes to black people. Unfortunately, almost all of them were names of schools and southerners weren't about to let that continue when those buildings were needed for total integration.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Either the Star or Enquirer this week claims on their front page that Comey has a gay lover.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Jurgan posted:

What's funny to me is that I was in middle school in the 90's, and they hammered us over and over again that "anybody can get AIDS, not just gay people." It was an important message to learn, but it meant that I didn't even know that it was once considered a gay disease. It wasn't until fairly recently that I realized how it devastated the gay community specifically in its early days.

Ryan White. :corsair:

We saw at least two or three specials about White in school. Unbeknown to us elementary school kids, the school district directly north of us was having its own crisis. They, too, had booted a child out, though not because he had AIDS. His mom had AIDS and the district refused to let the kid back in, even after being given proof that there wasn't any way they could catch it through the uninfected child. Almost every school system in the area put their teachers through training after that to calm them down.

The previous name for AIDS was GRID - Gay-Related Immune Deficiency. Also cue a whole lot of Rock Hudson jokes. Hudson's death did nothing to calm matters (especially when his private life spilled out), but it did scare the poo poo out of a lot of people that Rock Hudson was dead of The AIDS.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

I hate it when reporters do this. When you have a quote like that, where the immediate, universal reaction is "WAIT, WHAT??", the reasonable thing to do is follow up on that, not just move on.

I didn't see a spot where the reporter could have followed up.

The information came from Davis' statement to police and the writer may not have access to interview the mother.

As much as we're all squicked about what the final argument was about, the only thing you can do with the information is simply print it. I might would have divided that paragraph into two to not bury the information in the middle of it or moved the paragraph just below the lede. It's a heck of a tidbit to start an article with, but whether it goes there or not depends on if you feel it's the right bit of shocking information to suck a reader in.

I'm in an area where old ladies have complained about the worst "snot" in an article. Even being an online publication, a lede of baby sex might not cut it at the Daily Beast.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/CPAC/status/1363961280818774029

That doesn't narrow it down, you say? How about this?

CPAC Yanks Speaker After Anti-Semitic, Pro-Pizzagate Posts Surface

Still doesn't help?

What if I add the qualifier that in a room of anti-Semitic folks, Pizzagate enthusiasts and COVID deniers, this person is still an other to them, even when it full agreement on their stances.

Spoiler:
It's Young Pharaoh.

Also, this year's CPAC theme is "America Uncanceled."

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Limbaugh worked a few years as a ticket agent with the Kansas City Royals. His father and grandfather were well known lawyers in Cape Girardeau. Besides his own attempted radio career (before the Royals gig), Limbaugh had a fine background in not just bullshit, but how to sell it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

Oh this is incredible :allbuttons:

Oh please let this be the thing that drives a stake through the twisted heart of that gaggle of bigoted Fuckwads Ghouls :unsmigghh:

Nawh. Josh already fried that up with the first accusations and being part of the Ashley Madison scandal. Since then, his legacy's been used car lots.