Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Sir Tonk posted:

Savage is totally playing a part, just like Downey Jr. back in the day.

The Trayvon thing is interesting, though, I'm not sure what he gets out of this other than a bit of attention.

Robert Downey Jr.? Was he playing a really right wing shithead role or something? Or is this a different Downey Jr.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Idran posted:

Wait, Dawkins did that too? I knew about Hitchens and Harris, but I didn't realize he had. Well, yet another reason to ignore him then.

I'm pretty sure Dawkins was and is against the Iraq War. He's still guilty of the same stereotyping of Muslims, but he's not as bad as Hitchens and Harris at least.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Russia is so far from being a leading world power. I can think of three nations off the top of my head I'd put before it.

USA, China... what's the third one you'd put ahead of Russia?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Joementum posted:

I have nothing to add to this.

There's nothing that needs to be added to that. That is art.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

If public shaming is not a feasible or appropriate way to combat bigotry then what is? The only alternative I see is doing nothing, which is really dumb. Making it not okay to publicly call someone a human being is as much of a victory for gay rights as legalizing gay marriage and they go hand in hand. The general progression is social pressure changes attitudes which then leads to laws changing. I can't think of an instance where a law changed and then social attitudes followed.

There's a difference between calling someone a human being and saying "I disagree with homosexual marriage but I'm not going to seek it be banned." and trying to draw some sort of equivalency between Obama saying the latter and Bob the Redneck saying the former is disingenuous at best, and actively harmful to the gay rights movement at the worst - we have more than enough evidence that public shaming doesn't make people change their minds, it just makes them feel persecuted and under attack, and as a result more likely to oppose what they disapproved of.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I don't give two flying fucks if they feel persecuted as long as they aren't vocal with their stupid bullshit. You're not going to change their minds by being their buddy either. The best you can hope for is making their views socially unacceptable, and that's what public shaming does.

How effective has public shaming been at stopping racism against minorities? All it does is change the language used, but is Welfare Queen any less vile a sentiment than friend of the family?

quote:

I have absolutely no idea where you got that someone was drawing an equivalency between Obama and a homophobic redneck.

This entire conversation's been about people demonizing people who disapprove of homosexual marriage but don't seek to ban it.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Uhhhh, pretty goddamn good? There's still a ways to go but you can marry other races now without everyone freaking out.

Would you attribute that just to public shaming? Discounting the Black Pride movement and sustained Education efforts to teach people that Black Americans weren't racially inferior?

quote:

Yeah, and no ones saying put them in jail, the social stigma of the day is against them and we're approving of that. So what's your point?

My point is that public shaming by itself is ineffective, if not counterproductive, even if it's easy and feels cathartic. It isn't going to cause positive change on its own. It's just a distraction from the real things that cause inexorable, effective social pressure - namely education and acts to show the merit of a cause.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Modern Day Hercules posted:

You're moving goal posts hard. Right before this post you asked if public shaming does anything at all, and now you'll only be satisfied if public shaming was the sole cause of a positive change. Public shaming has contributed to the positive changes in race relations and you know it, you're admitting it here. It's only a part of the explanation, but it is a part and you can't just deny that outright.

No, I asked how effective it was, because I felt other methods were more effective, as you can see in the context of my posts. I never denied it was a part, only that I felt it was a lesser part than the other methods I mentioned - but I will gladly admit I was wrong to assume people were talking about public shaming in my narrow definition of the term if people are, as Intel&Sebastian says, including the education movement as part of public shaming.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Has there been any new word on the Bundy situation, out of curiosity?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Sir Tonk posted:

Would it be possible to not get into a multi-page derail on Neil DeGrasse Tyson, of all people, in the right wing media thread?

Please, did you think the proud Leftists of this thread could ever pass up a chance to tear apart one of their own for being insufficiently pure?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Hazo posted:

I give up, what's wrong with this one?

From a glance, Czechoslovakia hasn't existed for a while.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Hazo posted:

This baffles me since this is a classic right-wing kneejerk opinion, yet the shooter himself was yet another typical right-wing, anti-government, pro-GOP, gun nut terrorist. I don't know if they haven't processed this yet or they're just ignoring it or what but it's confounding.

Anyway, the shitbag's still on the run apparently, so it'll be fun to see how the AM radio talking heads dismiss the story or just ignore it.

He was No True right-wing, anti-government, pro-GOP, gun nut terrorist FREEDOM FIGHTER. Bet you that's how they'll spin it if it's addressed at all.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

MrUnderbridge posted:

B-Rock the Islamic Shock Hussein in the Membrane Osama

OK, low effort on the last name. I know someone here can put the gild on the lily.

You forgot 'Superallah'

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
So I just saw this on BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-29424250

Have any American media organizations covered this, or at least drawn comparisms to Tebow and the like?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

He's not crazy, he just gives no fucks and is willing to be a useful idiot in the culture wars. I guess maybe narcissism, in that you're so willing to sell out to become notorious and a pseudoceleb that you garner universal hatred.

It also helps that he never faces consequences for anything. He got away with wiretapping a Senator's office.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah sure, when it comes to double standards regarding Christians and Muslims in America the problem is that Muslims aren't put upon enough, and their tiny sliver of the American population has pernicious belief systems that are SO MUCH SCARIER than the rest of America that it needs to be addressed asap. Sounds legit.

If Christians or whoever else wants to open up the "double standards" can of worms regarding how their religion is treated against other people's in America I say go right ahead. I would love it.

To be fair, he talks about Islam in a global context, not just Muslims in America. Not going to defend his arguments beyond that, but you're presenting a false premise.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Crowsbeak posted:

Why is it just him and Hannity that make me want to punch someone?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Hazo posted:

For some reason I'd never heard it until now and yeah it's a pretty obvious hateful transphobic slur, hence my surprise at hearing Rush say it. He usually tends to veil his racism and bigotry in more dogwhistle terms.

edit:
Yeah, this may not be the thread for it but it's really fascinating how much Reddit/Imgur users just loving hate women. Literally every single front page post labeled "equality" or some variant thereof is about men rightfully beating up women, or women being wrong in domestic disputes, or how feminists are whiny cunts, or just about whiny MRAs like in that image. Every single one. No exceptions.

Some recent examples I found just by quickly searching my browser history and the Imgur front page for "equality":
http://imgur.com/gallery/IeqdGD8
http://imgur.com/gallery/44Z6y
http://imgur.com/gallery/xtAIMEu
http://imgur.com/gallery/zZTNvjf
http://imgur.com/gallery/OZBybKG

Currently the front page of Imgur is dominated by people being outraged that some tumblrites are outraged at this guy's shirt, and delivering Sick Burns (TM) and pledging to buy versions of that shirt just to piss off 'Feminists'. The MRA movement is a loving cancer.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Does anyone remember how loving mad people got when Daniel Craig was announced to play Bond? "Bond doesn't have blonde hair and blue eyes!!!"

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

FuzzySkinner posted:

"Chris is an American Hero, Period. He shot unarmed civilians from the top of the Superdome during Hurricane Katrina FIGHTING FOR OUR FREEDOMS!"

He didn't actually do that - he just lied about it because he thought it would make him look good. Chris Kyle was a literal psychopath.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

quote:

Our outfits are not morally neutral things. They are worn either for good reasons or for bad ones. And I say that fully knowing that some women wear underwear as pants not in a deliberate effort to attract male attention, but just out of laziness, in spite of the attention they may attract. This would still be filed in the “bad reason” folder. It may require effort to dress with class and dignity, but the fact that it’s such a bummer to put on real clothing before we leave the house doesn’t relieve us of the obligation.

It would be difficult to explain all of this to someone who is not a Muslim. Not impossible, but difficult. At the very least, it would require another 10,000 words or so to first convince them to accept the basic premise of Islamic morality, and then to explain why that morality applies to your pants. I don’t have the space for that undertaking, so I’ll continue along aware that what I’m saying may be irrelevant to you if you’re already an avowed secular relativist. But for Muslims, we know that we do not make choices in a void. Our actions have consequences, and we are required to consider them beforehand.

So if your Muslim brothers are saying that you are making it more difficult for them to remain on the pure and chaste path when you go out in public wearing something that very explicitly highlights the private regions of your body, if you know that your brothers in Islam struggle in this way, if you have heard them say it, then you better have very good reason to ignore them. I don’t think the reason exists. I haven’t heard it yet. “I like it, it’s comfortable, it makes me feel good, it’s convenient” — these aren’t moral defenses. They’re excuses, yes, but not morally positive reasons to act a certain way or do a certain thing.

It never stops being amusing seeing just how supportive people like Matt Walsh would be of Sharia Law so long as the wording was changed to be less foreign.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

icantfindaname posted:

It just struck me it's very similar to fascist iconography. I would put money on there being some extremist right group out there using a very similar symbol

Italian Fascists stole a hell of a lot of iconography from Rome, so I'm certain there is.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

FuzzySkinner posted:

What I don't get is why those on the right are so offended/looking for affirmation from "The Oscars"?

Like what would have been their reaction had it actually won? Would that have suddenly made one inkling of a difference in regards to their Jane Fonda/Michael Hollywood Strawman they've created?

They would have crowed that even pussy liberal Hollywood bowed to the will of the people to respect and honour such a courageous soldier.

But we all know Hannity et al wanted American Sniper not to win because they prefer their faux outrage.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Flaggy posted:

This can't be real.

Of course it's real. Is it really surprising a guy like Crowder is trying the Ann Coulter method of being as gruesomely offensive as possible in order to get some sort of notoriety?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Gropiemon posted:

This post made me laugh because shbjob was the only person to use an awkward slur.

To be fair, we all know you don't have to say a slur if you dogwhistle around it enough.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Business Gorillas posted:

I think he's mid-late 60's and he's still a gigantic dude. There's a really good documentary of him on Netflix if you wanna burn a hour and a half.

edit: He's 75 :eyepop:

It's crazy just how huge even the 'small' pro wrestlers are. I saw Chris Jericho last year at an airport and the guy was massive, both height and muscle-wise, way more than you'd guess from seeing him on TV.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Axetrain posted:

From pages ago but Megyn Kelly is an atrocious piece of poo poo. People think because she's a pretty white women that maybe she's not so terrible but she's just as bad shitheads like BillO.

It's not because she's a pretty white woman, it's because when it comes to politicial issues that personally affect her (i.e. women's rights) she breaks ranks and calls out misogynists on Fox. It's just that outside of her pet issue, she's still a conservative fuckwad.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

big mean giraffe posted:

Can't wait to see how Fox blames liberals for this.

"Nobody will be as offended about a boy being abused by a woman as they are by girls being abused by men. So much for feminism and gender equality!"

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Obdicut posted:

Oh I get it, the bro-choice guy is supposed to be a careless dude who pressures women into having an abortion?

And they don't understand that feminists think that guy is an rear end in a top hat who is loving up choice, too?

Huh.

I read it as "Men aren't allowed to say anything about abortion unless they say what their partner wants them to say. This is a bad thing"

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Klaus88 posted:

:psyboom:

She doesn't mean all this manic poo poo seriously? Right? Right?

Of course she doesn't. She's a professional troll.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Takoluka posted:

Wasn't the party system significantly different during that time period?

For the 13th, 14th and 15th amendments, replace Republican with Liberal, and Democrat with Conservative. For Obamacare, replace Republican with Conservative, Democrat with Liberal.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Doesn't Brad Pitt do that as well? It's awesome for him, too.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

PhazonLink posted:

I really hope the Chinese invent cold fusion soon because the US really needs another Science Dick Race.

MGS3 was real. THE FFFEEEEEAAAAARRRRRR!!!

That's the PAAAAAAIIIIIN!!! you pleb.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

William Bear posted:

Hannity today on his radio show was talking about how Iran wants to dominate the world through a Caliphate.

I'm no expert, does that even makes sense in Shia thought? Isn't that like saying that radical Lutherans want to set up a papacy?

From my study of Medieval Islamic History, I don't think Shi'ites are opposed to the idea of a Caliphate, per se; the initial split with Sunnis came over disagreements over the line of succession within the Caliphate, though it seems that it's generally been more common for Shia to use the term 'Imam' to denote the leader of a Caliphate-style society, focusing on the spiritual side of their leadership rather than the secular.

Anyone more knowledgeable about that feel free to correct me!

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If a left winger insulted a right winger who was transsexual by using transphobic language you bet I would support the hell out of the right winger threatening him

That still makes this a team argument; just that the team in your case is decided by gender rather than ideology, hth. You're still trying to justify unacceptable behaviour because the person conducting such behaviour was on your 'team'.

You can condemn Shapiro as a hateful bigot while still saying Zoe escalating the situation to threats and aggressive physical contact was also wrong.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

And what team is that exactly?

The LGBT (and allies) team. You can support LGBT causes (and denounce bigots like Shapiro) without trying to justify someone crossing a line the way Zoe did.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am not team LGBT. If we have to tediously reduce this to "teams" I am team "do not attack a minority group with their minority status"

Thanks, Mr/Ms. Semantics. You can support not attacking minority groups with their minority status (and denounce bigots like Shapiro) without trying to justify someone crossing a line the way Zoe did.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think one of the problems is that I do not see this as just this moment. This is not a response to this guy saying this thing, this is a response to the constant experience transsexual people face ever day of their lives. They are under assault by this kind of dehumanization almost constantly, and to expect them to suck it up as "just words" is ridiculous. If you go onto a debate show, you expect a certain level of basic human respect and if you are being dehumanized by some rear end in a top hat it seems perfectly understandable to me to one time just up and completely lose your temper.

Instead of seeing this as the one time he threatened someone dehumanizing him, imagine all the times that week he has probably had to resist responding to that kind of treatment. Can you really blame him for losing his temper one time?

I don't blame her for losing her temper, but at the same time I'm not going to defend her actions, because the manner in which she expressed her frustration is not acceptable in society. Yes, she should not be punished heavily, but you don't excuse people breaking the law because they were provoked.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Goatman Sacks posted:

So, a guy stole a bunch of flags probably planted by a white supremacist organization on graves of folks who died as traitors to preserve slavery... and we're acting like this is a bad thing? lol liberals...

It's not okay to commit crimes against people just because you disagree with their political opinions.

Goons failing basic human decency itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Who are the people being hurt by this

You're mistaking (or wilfully misinterpreting) my opposition to desecrating graves as some sympathy for confederates. I don't care about the flag; I do care about a movement I support adopting the same tone of dehumanization towards its opponents as its opponents already have.

Goatman Sacks posted:

Reactionaries aren't human.

Case in point.