Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Going back to the whole "it never hurts to ask." Robbi Rodriguez opened his list up for an extra 2 pre-order commissions for NYCC pick up. The first one went fast. The second languished for a week or so until his art dealer advertised it again. I made an offhand tweet about how I'd have snatched it up if there was a mail option. His dealer tweeted me back that if I pay shipping he'll make it work. And now I have another Rodriguez commission coming.

Everything is a negotiation in this. Sometimes you can't meet in the middle but most times you can. It never hurts to ask and if you have a reasonable solution it makes it a lot harder to say no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
NYCC is this weekend! I need something picked up from someone who is going, any takers :)

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Also try the discussion thread. I think there's a small handful (maybe 1 or 2) people who read this thread who go to NYCC but if you want more luck, try that thread too simply because it's less specific.

Maybe some day we'll get (need?) an NYCC thread to match the SDCC thread we have every year.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I'm going, what do you need? Feel free to PM me as well.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 6, 2015

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

gninjagnome posted:

I'm going, what do you need? Feel free to PM me as well.

Awesome, thank you. I sent you a PM

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Had to pick up my daughter at daycare, so I couldn't stay at NYCC as long yesterday and today. Since I was home early, I went ahead and took pics of what I've picked up so far.

I'm super stoked I got this Batman/Daredevil from Dustin Nguyen. I saw it on his instagram the other day, and I told my wife if he had it at NYCC I was going to buy it.

Other pre-convention pieces:

Clayface from Thomas Fowler

Mystique from Jeff Dekal

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Thanks to gninjagnome for picking this up for me. A pre-show commission by Mahmud Asrar of Nurse Joy. He is one of my favorite artists and I've gotten a few things from him before. He was gracious enough to squeeze me in at the end of his list and I'm glad he did cause he did a fantastic job on this IMO

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Nodoze posted:

Thanks to gninjagnome for picking this up for me. A pre-show commission by Mahmud Asrar of Nurse Joy. He is one of my favorite artists and I've gotten a few things from him before. He was gracious enough to squeeze me in at the end of his list and I'm glad he did cause he did a fantastic job on this IMO

drat you. If I had known that's who you were getting I'd have tried myself for something! Although now that he's changed art dealers, maybe he'll do some shipped commissions.

Either way, really really awesome piece.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

RevKrule posted:

drat you. If I had known that's who you were getting I'd have tried myself for something! Although now that he's changed art dealers, maybe he'll do some shipped commissions.

Either way, really really awesome piece.

Thank you! It was back in the middle of August when I emailed him. I'm not sure if he was taking stuff at the show or not

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

^^ He definitely took his time with your piece, and it shows. He was starting it Saturday around lunch when I got in, and was getting close to finishing around 6:30.

Here are the rest of my pieces from NYCC. This was one of my better years for pieces in the last couple years:

Dustin Nguyen - Bane - I usually get him to do a batman villian for me, this year, went for Bane:

Colin Lawler - Mr. Freeze - only one addition to my Freeze sketchbook, but it's a good one:

Elsa Charretier - Zatanna - pre-convention:

Ken Knudsten - Hawkeye - I've gotten stuff from him in the past. Su:

Two big pickups from the charity auction:

Andrew Griffith - Kate Bishop - my wife really wanted this pieces

Ace Continuado - Poison Ivy - I think this piece is tied with the batman/daredevil piece for my favorite form this con.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 12, 2015

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

gninjagnome posted:

Here are the rest of my pieces from NYCC. This was one of my better years for pieces in the last couple years

Elsa Charretier - Zatanna - pre-commision sketch.:

This is incredible. I have a new name to add to the list of people to get things from

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

She was super nice, although her spoken English wasn't that great. Her prices were pretty reasonable - that piece was 11x17 for $150, and her busts were going for $75. This is her dealer's site: http://www.bigheadlittlearms.com/

This year I tried searching twitter for commissions starting at about a month and a half out, which is how I found her. That seemed to work better then googling has in previous years. Also tried Facebook, but the built in search returns things in a weird order that made it hard to find recent posts, and I couldn't get it sort the posts by date.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

gninjagnome posted:

Hell, I want that piece.

Some great pickups there. The Dusso Batman/DD watercolor is amazing. I need to reach out to him about one because he's just soooo amazing.

I'm looking at doing a 100 bullets page before xmas but having trouble a) finding some and b) finding good ones. Looks like Risso hates breaking up books too so unless someone's already broken the book out, you're paying a fortune.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

gninjagnome posted:

Two big pickups from the charity auction:

Ace Continuado - Poison Ivy - I think this piece is tied with the batman/daredevil piece for my favorite form this con.

Huh, I was one of the Crew members who were helping Mike Negin with the Charity Auction, so I'm glad you attended. My avatar basically has a photo of me, so it won't be that hard to figure out which one of them I was.

Sorry about any slowness in showing around the pieces and then security badgering us to leave near the end of the night when we went over our allotted time before Mike talked them out of it. Also, we need a more efficient payment system for when everyone wants to pick up the pieces that they won as well. I don;t think they announced the total from the auction because we didn't add it up until everyone was paid up, but it netted St Jude's $48k, which is a nice chunk of change there for a good cause.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

GhostStalker posted:

Sorry about any slowness in showing around the pieces and then security badgering us to leave near the end of the night when we went over our allotted time before Mike talked them out of it. Also, we need a more efficient payment system for when everyone wants to pick up the pieces that they won as well. I don;t think they announced the total from the auction because we didn't add it up until everyone was paid up, but it netted St Jude's $48k, which is a nice chunk of change there for a good cause.

I was wondering what the total was - that's very cool. I've been to every one of the charity auctions, and they've all been a little disorganized, so I went in expecting it. It was about the same as previous years until you couldn't find that one guys piece, then chaos kinda erupted. An option to pick up the next day would be super helpful, but I would understand if you didn't want to do that.

RevKrule posted:

I'm looking at doing a 100 bullets page before xmas but having trouble a) finding some and b) finding good ones. Looks like Risso hates breaking up books too so unless someone's already broken the book out, you're paying a fortune.

Not too helpful for you now, but Risso had a stack of 100 Bullets pages at NYCC, so I'd keep an eye out to see if you can catch him at a con.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

gninjagnome posted:

I was wondering what the total was - that's very cool. I've been to every one of the charity auctions, and they've all been a little disorganized, so I went in expecting it. It was about the same as previous years until you couldn't find that one guys piece, then chaos kinda erupted. An option to pick up the next day would be super helpful, but I would understand if you didn't want to do that.

Apparently, we got the initial total wrong because of the FDNY helmet auction beforehand and thinking that those numbers needed to be subtracted from the total, but Mike sent out an email and a Facebook post about a week ago that clarified the total to $50k.

And yeah, that guy who wanted to leave immediately when we couldn't find his piece fast enough kinda threw everyone on stage off a bit. Got kinda chaotic there near the end, what with the large line of people waiting to pay and pick up their pieces, but we got through with it, and it was all for a good cause. I think the biggest problem there is when people are trying to cash out and that line moves slowly, along with security trying to clear the Javits at the same time...

I've been helping Mike with the charity auction for 3 years now, once I found out about it (I've been working with him in Artist Alley for 4 years now) and decided to drop in and check it out. Figured they needed some help showing the pieces around, and I stepped up to help. Haven't regretted that yet (except maybe this year, when my legs were all but dead at the end of Saturday, and it hurt just walking around...).

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 29, 2015

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I've never understood people who wait until the end of an auction to pay. When the last piece you want goes, it's time to leave. Most places are more than happy to let you pay early just to keep incidents like that to a minimum. It just makes good sense.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I imagine charity auctions draw a lot people that haven't been to many in the past. Plus if you're auctioning 150+ pieces, it's gonna take a while no matter what.

I just picked up this Harley piece by Mike Maihack. If you follow him on facebook, he's been putting about one piece a week for the last few weeks on ebay - they've been going in the $200-$300 range from the few I've followed.

This piece made me realize that one of the reasons I haven't like most of the modern Harley Quinn redesigns is the use of her hair to represent the head piece, instead of using a head piece.

Sadly, this will probably be my last piece for a while - we're in the process of buying a house that's gonna need a lot of work. On the plus side, plenty of wall space to hang up art!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

RevKrule posted:

I've never understood people who wait until the end of an auction to pay. When the last piece you want goes, it's time to leave. Most places are more than happy to let you pay early just to keep incidents like that to a minimum. It just makes good sense.

gninjagnome posted:

I imagine charity auctions draw a lot people that haven't been to many in the past. Plus if you're auctioning 150+ pieces, it's gonna take a while no matter what.

Yeah, this. Also, there's no real catalogue of pieces to be auctioned off, since Mike Negin usually gets the pieces earlier in the con that weekend from the artists he corrals in Artist Alley when he's managing that area of the con (my usual location as well), and then just puts together a Powerpoint of them on his laptop when he has the chance. It's a miracle that it's worked out so well so far with no major hitches except the rush to pay at the end...

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I was advised to cross post this here.

This is my "convention box" that I've been dragging around for the past 12 years. I've been in and out of comics since I became a parent and lost a lot of free time - but I recently hit a convention and Greg Smallwood suggested I photograph and share my box, so here's an imgur album if anyone cares.

http://imgur.com/a/Xmyzu

There are a couple of cool stories to go along with the box. I always get comments about how it's pretty unique, I don't know though, I can't be the first guy to have a box with art on it. It started out as a way to shuttle books to and from shows for autographs and buying/selling. Bill Willingham was the first one to draw on it at Planet Comicon in Kansas City in 2003. The story is I walk up, we chat for a while, he offers to do a sketch, but was out of sketch cards, grabs my box and goes to town. Most of the art on here has been free + tip. I always offer to pay, and sometimes get quoted a price, only for them to say nevermind. I don't want to name names on the "free art" as I know they might not appreciate it...

I will, however, say that Tim Sale did draw on it for free, and it was the coolest thing ever. In 2012 I went to Planet Comicon in Kansas City. I normally just buy books and stuff, sometimes get autographs, and when I run into an artist I love, I try to commission some art. But this time I actively sought out Tim's booth hoping to get a commission. I'm an idiot, though, and didn't realize that you have to show up in the first hour on the first day to get on a list for a guy like Tim. I approached his agent and asked if I could get some art. She said pretty firmly that he was booked up through at least Sunday morning (the next day) - I said bummer, I won't be here tomorrow. Tim looks over and says "Wait, were you going to ask me to draw on the box?" I thought he was about to shame me (as another artist who will remain nameless once did) - and I said yes. He says "Let me see that." He turned it over in his hands for a minute, setting aside the commission he was working on. He says "What did you want me to draw?" I was still anxious, but I said Jim Gordon, and he went to work, the rest of the line became a little perturbed, and in the end, I said "How much do I owe you?" and before his agent lady could give me a price, he waved me off "Just take it, no worries." or something to that effect. I left him a tip and said thank you, even his agent was in shock (apparently Tim never lets anything leave his booth for free). It's still, to this day, my favorite "box" story.

I don't get to conventions very often anymore, but I hope to fill out all the blank areas before I die. Since I stopped reading heavily in the mid 2000s, and only get to read top titles these days, most of the artists I really want to seek out either don't do conventions near me, or are way too popular and expensive for me to afford a commission from anymore. But it's still a neat artifact of the hobby for me, and now that my daughter is reading books, maybe she'll use it one day.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Now that I've had the opportunity to read through the thread in its entirety, I have these to post as well, click for big, link for huge http://i.imgur.com/fTDRqGj.jpg

2 Hester Green Arrow pages from #20 and #22 respectively. The "Cheeseburger" gag was a memorable panel for me, finding it at Hester's table a few years back was a real victory. I've always been a huge fan of Hester's style, and being able to own pages really changed how I felt about the medium. Once you have an original piece that was used to produce a comic that you love, it really changes your perspective on original art and its inherent value... At least it did for me.

They're not very well framed, but someday I intend to properly frame them. I really haven't started a collection in earnest as most of my sketches go onto the box. I would like to get more original pages, though, as I really enjoy them. But I'm picky and have expensive tastes and no money...

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

That box is pretty cool. I'd be way to paranoid about damage to every get something like that.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Just gonna say, I love Robbi Rodriguez's art but holy gently caress is he slow turning around take home commissions. Also I was able to get in on Cliff Chiang's list last month but I was warned the turn around was 12 months.

To add some conversation to the thread; What's the longest you've waited for a commission? On top of the 12 month wait scheduled for Chiang (and now 6 month wait for Rodriguez) I have another one out that I've been waiting 1.5 years on.

One Tall Fellow
Oct 22, 2006

Bow wow best friend.

Bow wow best friend.

Bow wow best friend.
I recently got my first commission!

I waited about 4 months for it, which was a little longer than the initial 8-12 week turn around estimated, but that sounds like nothing compared to a year-plus. It helps that Chris Samnee was great about providing updates throughout the process, so I never felt worried about the extra time.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Haha, the drawing on the bottom of the box is the dopest. Now empty it out and and start getting them to draw on the inside.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

ruddiger posted:

Haha, the drawing on the bottom of the box is the dopest. Now empty it out and and start getting them to draw on the inside.

Once I've filled up the exterior, I think that's ultimately the plan.

I've got a list of artists ready to go for Planet Comicon in KC - along with some money - but it's a busy weekend for me, so I may not even make the show.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

I think I've posted this before but in memory of Paul Ryan, here's a sketch I got from him at Denver Comic Con a few years back: Captain Savarna from The Phantom.

RIP Paul. A talented artist and true gentleman.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Esplanade posted:

I think I've posted this before but in memory of Paul Ryan, here's a sketch I got from him at Denver Comic Con a few years back: Captain Savarna from The Phantom.

RIP Paul. A talented artist and true gentleman.

He was honestly one of the people I was really looking forward to seeing this year at DCC. I knew he went a couple years ago but I ran out of time to catch him so I was really pleased to see him on the list for this year and now I'm really sad.

On a happier note, I finally got my commission from Robbi Rodriguez (for a commission that was supposed to be done for NYCC). Another addition to my "Disney Princesses on beach day," this time it's Elsa.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

We're deep in con season again and have had three majors already pass (WonderCon, C2E2 and ECCC). Anyone get anything good yet?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Yeah I got a Winter Soldier by Kevin Wada, it's pretty great. And cost a mint.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

This would have been the year for us to goto ECCC, but babies and a new house are curbing spending on cons and artwork.

In honor of the Dr. Strange trailer that just dropped - here's a Frank Brunner that I picked out a couple years ago:

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

I tried multiple times over the weekend to get a commission from Kevin Wada but struck out each time. Also tried to get one from Chrissie Zullo but she took her list on Thursday and I didn't get there until Saturday this year. Got this commissioned from an indie artist, Blue Deliquanti, literally 30 minutes before the end of Sunday for $20 and its one of my favorite things I've ever got from a con, so that was a nice surprise.

Also got this Negan sketch card done by Mike Vasquez which I really like.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

bigmike posted:

I tried multiple times over the weekend to get a commission from Kevin Wada but struck out each time.

I followed him on both twitter and Tumblr (and now insta) for a couple months before the show and happened to notice when he put up his pre-list. I was probably in the first 5 people to respond.

Mine's one of the ones in here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BD30RLBwBCq/

He made a lot of money at ECCC.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Was Taters posted:

I followed him on both twitter and Tumblr (and now insta) for a couple months before the show and happened to notice when he put up his pre-list. I was probably in the first 5 people to respond.

What's the size on those? Maybe it's all perspective but it looks like 9x12 at the biggest.

This is amazingly adorable.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Watercolor paper, umm, 11x13 or 11x14, I'd say. Full color 1 figure was $375, and 2 figures started at $575. It's good to be the hot thing who's willing to draw shirtless guys!

The ones he was doing at the table were 8.5x11, I think, just black ink, and $100.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Wow, that whole stack is incredible. The full color figures are out of my price range right now, but when I found out the table ones were only $100 I had to try. I think either other vendors/artists or people at the front of the entrance lines each day were getting those because he said they were gone almost immediately each time he opened his list.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Was Taters posted:

Did you get two pictures, or did someone else ask for naked Bucky too?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

StumblyWumbly posted:

Did you get two pictures, or did someone else ask for naked Bucky too?

Everyone asks for naked Bucky.

I got the skinnier version. It's just risque, but still not really work safe. https://www.instagram.com/p/BD9VSvjiH7i/

Another lady on twitter found me, she got the more ripped one.

Wada's cool because he's one of the few artists out there willing to be that playful. This was about $100 more than either my George Perez or my Frank Quitely - it's also full figure and full color, so worth every cent.. I have a feeling his prices will just go up, too, and soon.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Ryan Kelly is selling Cry Havoc and Suvivor's Club penciled pages fro $40 each. I'm sure if you contact him through twitter you can get a selection. He's very responsive to @ mentions.
https://twitter.com/funrama/status/732045127045124098

Next month is Denver Comic Con so I probably won't have anything new until then, but it's that then a month later SDCC. Maybe I'll try to get a Kevin Wada for SDCC if his prices stay the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Denver Comic Con was both amazing and really sad. The sad part is I accidentally spilled water on my sketch book. It's just the outside edge but it's every loving piece in there. Very few actually made it to any ink but again, it's every loving piece.

Anyway, thanks for reading my sad story, on to the amazingness that happened.

Emma Frost from Marguerite Sauvage

Domino from Matteo Scalera

Queen Emeraldas from Shawn Crystal

Gwen Stacy from Tim Sale

This is a great piece but was kinda ruined by the fact that while he was doing it, I realized I had a leak in my bag. However, I got great tips on saving what's there from him (!!!) that seem to have worked and the piece is amazing.

Magik from Dave Johnson

I saw this as he was starting it and thought "Hey, that's shaping up to be a real good piece, possibly top 10 in my collection." Then I saw bearded Comrade Colossus and it pushed it to easily top 5 pieces in my collection. It would've been pickup of the show if I hadn't gotten....

Jasmine from Eric Canete

This. This is the piece of the con. Hell, this is possibly a contender for piece of my collection. Pictures don't do it justice. There's so much loving amazing going on in this.

• Locked thread