Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

If it's not second nature to intently stare at your feathered friend's butthole whenever they're bent over the food bowl, you're bird parenting wrong.

I think it is actually impossible for either one of my two to eat from their bowl in peace without me stood behind them, magnifying glass in hand. Granted, it became more of an obsession after Chick's first egg, but it's a good habit to get into as it gives you early warning of any issues like baldness / matted poop / staining etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Yeah, butt and poop checks are just a daily thing in birbcare.

Poopomancy is a legit diagnostic magic.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The art of divination where you use tissue to grab a poop sample and do the old smear test like some weird bird priest to understand what it is the gods want. Or maybe that's just me, because for some reason, AGY is the equivalent of quicksand: you always thought it would be more prevalent in your day to day life than it actually is.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Every year when Pookie has her checkup, the vet* says her poops are very green and might indicate kidney/liver issues, but no, it's been the same for over 20 years, she just a green pooper.

*(Bairbre O'Malley, who is genuinely the only exotic animals vet in the whole country, like, she is on call for Dublin Zoo. Her surgery is about a 10 minute drive from our house, so we are very lucky)

I remember when Pookie needed to stay overnight for further checks, and, when checking her in, they asked if she liked any particular foods beyond the usual pellets/fruit/veg.
I said that she loves lentils and rice, and they responded that the nurse on duty had daal/rice for lunch, so Pookie got her own wee portion :3:.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/4n3DqtX.mp4

hitchens
Oct 24, 2012

harlequin macaw

Someone on instagram accurately portrayed Zenith and Orion

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnFGMAlN7wM/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

If they give us baby budgies in the future, I wonder if any of those punnets square things for budgies are accurate. The ones I saw to try to find the colors of their parents were a bit all over the place.

It’s so lovely to get back to them feom work, the store, the kitchen, the bathroom. A long stretch the wings party that just won’t stop :D

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I met a caique at the parrot shop down the road yesterday that supposedly despises men.

He is lucky I don't have room in my household for a little doofus like him, or I'd take him home.

And yes, a baby Amazon got soft food on the brim of my hat.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I can't imagine a caique hating anything

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Caique = "cake"? I can think of another way to say it but it sounds like a slur...also are the beaks supposed to be like that? They seem so long, even untrimmed, compared to Sinbad's.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

SuperKlaus posted:

Caique = "cake"? I can think of another way to say it but it sounds like a slur...also are the beaks supposed to be like that? They seem so long, even untrimmed, compared to Sinbad's.

I call them cakes, well.. because cake. I think the proper pronunciation is 'kai-eek'.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

SuperKlaus posted:

Its kye-eek I think

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've always pronounced it kak, like "Oh no, did someone kak themselves?" but now I am realising that I've pronounced it wrong all these years

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Kai-kay

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I had a stupid dream that I rescued a Senegal that flew off its perch in a panic, as Sinbad does, but I recognized that the bird on me wasn't Sinbad because dream bird didn't have one out of place yellow feather on the back right of its grey head.

How would you tell your bird friend apart from a group of its species?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/Lckg1EF.mp4

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/Loa8Qkk.mp4

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

SuperKlaus posted:

I had a stupid dream that I rescued a Senegal that flew off its perch in a panic, as Sinbad does, but I recognized that the bird on me wasn't Sinbad because dream bird didn't have one out of place yellow feather on the back right of its grey head.

Beak shape, and overall size, plus reaction when I say hello. As an african grey, Pookie is normally extremely similar to every other African grey, but she is also pretty petite, and has a very daintily-shaped beak.

In other news, lychees went on sale in aldi for the first time in about 3 years, so I got a load because Pookie loves them.
I shelled/seeded one and put it in her fruit bowl a couple of hours ago, and told her it was there.
She was unenthusiastic.
I came back in ten minutes later, and she was juicing the very last drop out of the one I gave her.
I just put her another in her fruit bowl, and told her it was there, and she came racing down the cage to eat it.
She has remembered Lychees!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I am terrified of becoming bird dad because these little shits are going to constantly look for ways to hurt themselves

lithium flour
Jan 27, 2012

a fully digital ovine

SuperKlaus posted:

Ed has a big white stripe on his lower beak, that would do it (and behaviour, of course).
Senegals seem to have a lot of variation between individuals in their colouring, and it even changes over time. My boy's green is becoming brighter and his yellow is taking on an orange tint.
Flying off in a panic seems to be common to all...

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

This is Dijon, or Hunny D, as I call her. I picked her up a few weeks ago. She's a recessive pied budgie and looks a lot like Banane, no?

She's still shy with me but will step up from certain spots and is getting better at stepping up reliably. She flies like a maniac, though.

https://i.imgur.com/ypp6r55.mp4

Pesto likes her a lot but it took him a few days to warm up to her. I'm still mourning Mayo but I couldn't starve Pesto of avian company and also go to work all the time.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 24, 2023

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Plant MONSTER. posted:

This is Dijon, or Hunny D, as I call her. I picked her up a few weeks ago. She's a recessive pied budgie and looks a lot like Banane, no?

She's still shy with me but will step up from certain spots and is getting better at stepping up reliably. She flies like a maniac, though.

https://i.imgur.com/ypp6r55.mp4

Pesto likes her a lot but it took him a few days to warm up to her. I'm still mourning Mayo but I couldn't starve Pesto of avian company and also go to work all the time.

Welcome Dijon! You share a name with my Yellow Watchman Goby! On a more serious note, not sure exactly what kind of plant that is, but philodendron and diffenbachia are highly toxic to birds.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Thaumatophyllum, which like Philodendron, the danger comes from the microscopic calcium oxalate crystals concentrated in the leaves, which yes, counts the stems in these plants (part of the leaves). They can irritate the mouth and stomach lining when eaten. Dijon here is using the frayed stem to scritch her head. The plant itself has a rather foul smell and taste and neither bird are interested with eating it. That being said, I think I will be moving it.

I need more hibiscus plants for birdies to destroy. :(

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Dijon is an absolute sweetie :3:

I'm not sure how it goes in colder climates, but aloe is a hardy, easy to grow, useful plant that is non toxic to birds. Sunny used to like having a nibble of the one on the windowsill in our kitchen. My budgies don't seem to be as interested in it, but as we know with birds and what they like ymmv!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Interestungly enough, even aloe is controversial when it comes to being safe to eat, whether for birds or people. I guess it's all in the dosage and I doubt anyone's just gorging endlessly on aloe vera. But I can't stress enough how much hearsay there is when it comes to plants and their danger/safety.

Most lists online are untrustworthy or unreliable and I can always pick out errors in them. There are absolutely some plants I would never mess around with, like oleander, true lilies or those giant rear end pitcher plants with traps the size of a milk jug

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 25, 2023

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/jri7XDU.mp4

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Ppppbbbbthh. Also that's a beautiful home.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Do Budgies require annual vet care?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

It's certainly recommended if you can find an avian vet, which isn't always the easiest thing to find depending where you live.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

t h e m

audiophileai
Jun 25, 2015

Broccoli Lovers Club

Zenith and Orion :mildpanic:

hitchens
Oct 24, 2012

harlequin macaw

Zenith's cere is getting browner in the middle and she's having a hard time because of the ongoing moult =(

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

audiophileai posted:

Broccoli Lovers Club

Zenith and Orion :mildpanic:

:kimchi:

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Pigeon update: my pigeons should be here between 3 and 4 weeks! ish! :3: I'll be sure to show when they get here.

I ended up redoing their cage a lot - removing climbing things (pigeons don't climb like parrots) in favor of more floor space, along with some ugly mesh cage net things because they're messy eaters. I'm so hype!!

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Here's my little white budg because she's just so happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syo0hKvD-9g&t=10s

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
New birb for the thread, meet Tux:

He's 11 weeks old and just chill af, just wants to sit on you and be where his flock is and he's happy.

He's also very fond of scritches.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

bee posted:

New birb for the thread, meet Tux:

He's 11 weeks old and just chill af, just wants to sit on you and be where his flock is and he's happy.

He's also very fond of scritches.

thats a good baby bord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Aww that is a sweet cockatiel. I wish my little birds would let me pet them -- they're all store budgies and just don't know any better. Only LoLo sometimes allows an actual scritch; I think someone really loved her & gave her special attention while she was being raised as she arrived way better adjusted than my other two.

I've never had a cockatiel. They seem chill.