Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't think Nemo was used to being petted or sitting on anyone for most of her life, which is weird for a cockatiel. When we start singing to each other she'll let me get closer...and closer...and when my nose touches her beak she'll back up like WOAH THAT'S WEIRD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

TaurusTorus posted:

thats a good baby bord

He's ridiculously tatty and handsome. What a perfect little baba :3:

Phone-posting, so quote is awkward, but to Nemo's person - is she well into adulthood?
I ask, because many years ago, we got a young, unhand-tamed cockatiel, who grew into the cuddliest, sweetest little hen, and the bonding started with me just sitting beside her in her cage reading a book.
I spent a few days being near her, but not actually interacting with her because forced interactions made her stressed. After a few days, I started giving her little skritches on her neck while she was eating. At first, she was a little bit stressed, but she soon realised I meant no harm, and things rapidly progessed after that.
Within a month, she trusted us completely, to the extent that if we were bold, we got bopped with an angry beak - the ultimate in cockatiel violence.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If I remember right she's 27, and we've had her since she was 24. I think she spent most of her life as a sort-of decorative bird in a horrible cage that I eventually destroyed with a splitting maul. She's come a long way from not being used to people touching her at all. She'll even ride around on my shoulder for a bit.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Halloween Jack posted:

If I remember right she's 27, and we've had her since she was 24. I think she spent most of her life as a sort-of decorative bird in a horrible cage that I eventually destroyed with a splitting maul. She's come a long way from not being used to people touching her at all. She'll even ride around on my shoulder for a bit.

Ah, yeah, so she's an older lady with a tough history.
I just want to punch people who are capable of making a fecking cocktiel standoffish. They are among the warmest, gentlest little birds, it takes real effort to make a cockatiel suspicious and cold.
Well done on helping her feel safe :kimchi:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Idunno that they were bad people, just kinda dumb and learned everything they know about pet birds from books published in the 70s.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Halloween Jack posted:

Idunno that they were bad people, just kinda dumb and learned everything they know about pet birds from books published in the 70s.

I don't know them, so I'm not going to judge then, but cockatiels are super loving, gentle and friendly by nature, so if 20+ years in their company made one detached, cautious and chilly, then they probably did not work well with that bird.
I'm not tooting my own horn here, but I knew nothing at all about cockatiels when I got one, and I managed to make my own hen Looloo feel safe because I could see when she was worried and tried hard to help her feel safe with us.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

She likes her greens!

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

bee posted:

New birb for the thread, meet Tux:

He's 11 weeks old and just chill af, just wants to sit on you and be where his flock is and he's happy.

He's also very fond of scritches.

wanna pet dat bird. Good looking dude right there.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
So when i got Echo the store told me he was hatched in February. So i guess he's official 1yr old. I think i'm gonna officially make his bday the day i brought him home, May 12th.

Baby Echo

download original image from instagram

Echo picking up where his predecessor left off.

RIP to my 17yr old buddy Tito. :(

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

bee posted:

New birb for the thread, meet Tux:

He indeed looks good in that tux

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I don't know how to make a Facebook video not be a Facebook video, so I'm sorry for that, but this is cute.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/884079376209731

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

ChitChit has lovely dots

She really is the sweetest girlbudg. Very polite and sings all the time and she worries about the other birds so much that if they look lonely or in distress, she'll come over to keep them company. Not a mean bone in her little blue body. She's my best blue girl. :3:

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Plastic Pal posted:

ChitChit has lovely dots

She's my best blue girl. :3:

My gosh you can see the sweetness just radiating out of her :3:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Plastic Pal posted:

ChitChit has lovely dots

She really is the sweetest girlbudg. Very polite and sings all the time and she worries about the other birds so much that if they look lonely or in distress, she'll come over to keep them company. Not a mean bone in her little blue body. She's my best blue girl. :3:

:negative:

I love her so much

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

Plastic Pal posted:

ChitChit has lovely dots

This is the sweetest little budgie face I've ever seen.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

:lovebird:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Heart is melting

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Got two birb videos today, first one is not safe for birds at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1wZIFZB4l8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q02q1E9J0U

e: just realized you can hear the hold music from my phone lol, probably should have muted the audio, oh well.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Plastic Pal posted:

ChitChit has lovely dots

She is just plain ridiculously pretty and clearly an angel in budgie form :3:
I just want to give her all the millet sprays in the world.

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Pookah posted:

I just want to give her all the millet sprays in the world.
Like all budgies, Chit adores millet but she's timid about it, so if there's any competition, she'll often just fly back into her own cage to wait for her share to be delivered in peace. I've started just holding a spray in each hand -- one for the two other milletmonsters to frantically razor through, and one I'll hold out to the side for just ChitChit. She appreciates this so much and will delicately munch away at her own pace.

She's such a sweet little soul and I'm glad she has melted all the hearts here. :3:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Plastic Pal posted:

Like all budgies, Chit adores millet but she's timid about it, so if there's any competition, she'll often just fly back into her own cage to wait for her share to be delivered in peace. I've started just holding a spray in each hand -- one for the two other milletmonsters to frantically razor through, and one I'll hold out to the side for just ChitChit. She appreciates this so much and will delicately munch away at her own pace.

She's such a sweet little soul and I'm glad she has melted all the hearts here. :3:

Oh my goodness, I'm just another to burst with how sweet this little sweet hen is :kimchi:

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Rakeris posted:

Got two birb videos today, first one is not safe for birds at work.

Aw such a good bunch of birbs!

I wish my girls were good with the step-ups but we haven't gotten there yet. They'll only do it when bribed with millet. :negative:

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Plant MONSTER. posted:

She likes her greens!

Are those little clovers?

Also this face is doing me in

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

It's broccoli, arugula and other mustards, thanks for reminding me, I have to pick some up and I'm just about done work!

Dijon is a cutie but she does not trust me very much.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

She actually does chill out once she finally steps up.

Bonus budgie

audiophileai
Jun 25, 2015

Plant MONSTER. posted:

It's broccoli, arugula and other mustards, thanks for reminding me, I have to pick some up and I'm just about done work!

Dijon is a cutie but she does not trust me very much.

I decided Ill just go ahead and ask you since I saw you mentioned the lists online are untrustworthy and consistently contradict each other, stuff like watercress and basil? I saw a list Ive been using but I have been nervous to try a lot of the things on the list. So far Zenith and Orion seem fond of stuff they can use as a toy and taste, rather than flat out eat. Except broccoli. They do love broccoli

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

That's a drat fine list.

It's mostly lists about house plants that are dubious. But safer > sorry!

audiophileai
Jun 25, 2015

Im really relieved to hear that. I got some mango and clementine in a little bowl for them, hopefully they will learn it is food and accept some chop in it. They are the most uncurious little babies

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

audiophileai posted:

Im really relieved to hear that. I got some mango and clementine in a little bowl for them, hopefully they will learn it is food and accept some chop in it. They are the most uncurious little babies

Eat the good food in front of them and refuse to share.
Shoo them away and hoard all that good fruit for yourself.
It's the 100% best way to get budgies to eat anything; they are the feistiest little twerps on this planet, and the best way to get them to do anything is to tell them they can't.
This rule works for nearly any parrot, but budgies are remarkable for their sheer cussedness.
I love the terrible little assholes.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Pookah posted:

Eat the good food in front of them and refuse to share.
Shoo them away and hoard all that good fruit for yourself.
It's the 100% best way to get budgies to eat anything; they are the feistiest little twerps on this planet, and the best way to get them to do anything is to tell them they can't.
This rule works for nearly any parrot, but budgies are remarkable for their sheer cussedness.
I love the terrible little assholes.

The secret ingredient is crime. I believe Frederick the Great did the same to get his people to eat potatoes.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

theHUNGERian posted:

Frederick the Great did the same to get his people to eat potatoes.

My favorite thing any ruler ever did.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Cleverclogs has been missing over two weeks now, I have to assume the poor little guy has been killed.
RIP to the smartest magpie, the most efficient extractor of meatballs I ever saw. Every other magpie takes food from me, eats it, then comes back for more. Not Cleverclogs, he'd take it, immediately stash it and come right back, to get the maximum amount of food from me before I left his territory. I miss that cheeky little bugger :(

Here he is back in October 2021, taking some food and tucking it in the grass before Mrs Clogs feeds the hungry Cloglet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaG--oEh7eI

Mrs Clogs has not allowed a new male to join the group, and instead is continuing to raise her two chicks (the Cloglings) with the help of her very capable adult daughter/assistant Clogette, and the now-young-adult Cloglet. I've been visiting them every day and making sure they all get a solid feed in this trying time. Here's video from a couple of days ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCc51l6Xr3I

GotLag fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 7, 2023

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
So sorry to hear this :( RIP CleverClogs

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/zoju810.mp4

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

o m f god
that is unbelievably adorable

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/kJ927C1.mp4

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Every ringneck says peekaboo!

https://i.imgur.com/KDOadsH.mp4

Pesto and Dijon with incredibly appropriate bg music and noises

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Wait, is that bird making...R2D2 noises?

...that is so cute

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Someone's playing a Super Mario World rom hack in the background and the noises were just perfect. Pesto feeding others should be accompanied by a 1-up sound always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
*lethal quantities of cuteness detected*