Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
My ex's mom decided to throw in the towel on bird ownership. I used to watch them for her when she was out of town so... I just adopted these lovely ladies.

They're very sweet. A dove and a finch isn't a pairing I would have selected, but they seem to get along. Last time I saw them, there was a second finch, and the two of them would gang up on the dove, but now that it's just the two of them I haven't seen any signs of aggression and it seems that it's their custom to cuddle up with each other at night :3:

I'm concerned about their health. I haven't identified anything in particular that concerns me deeply, but I feel like the shadow of death is looming; a few weeks ago I got a Betta fish, was very smitten, made a post about it in the aquarium megathread, and then he died the next morning. I was crushed. Furthermore, the previous owner for these two was not very adept at keeping birds alive. I don't know if it was environmental or what, but she'd go through finches at a rate of like two a year.

First order of business is going to be a bigger cage. They're in a little round thing right now, which is heinous, and the dove's tailfeathers are all disheveled from the lack of space to maneuver or sit comfortably.

One of them laid an egg, which I almost missed; I found the finch eating the last bits of the shell. I don't know if she laid it herself and decided that, for lack of a male or nest, that it wasn't going to be a fruitful enterprise, or if the dove laid it and the finch was being a dick. Anyone have anything to remark upon, about this? I know finches are pretty fecund. I suspect if one of them is brooding that I should be sure to pay attention to their nutrition and make sure they're getting enough vitamins.

The previous owner said she'd had some luck handling the dove. After I get them comfortable in a new cage I'm going to try and work with her more and see if she's truely acquiescent to hand-taming. My first bird love was a outstandingly precious parakeet who loved being handled... I won't begrudge these two if they're very hands-off, but I admit I miss having a little feathered companion on my shoulder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

It's a birdie odd couple!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Opposites attract.(?)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I promised I would keep you all in the loop about Serra and her chonkiness -

Serra just got her vet check up!

Good news - My scale is way heavy. Serra weighed in at 128g at the vet when she weight 136g at home. :stare: Yeah, she has been on a diet for a few weeks, but I know she didn't lost 8g in a hour.

Chonk news - She wants to try and get Serra closer to 120g now that she isn't growing juvenile bird. I spoke with her about my father's "treat" regimen, but she made be go get my seed mix and talk to her about that. She identified two things in the mix (I'm blanking on what at the moment) that cockatiels will gorge themselves on. Millet and especially the things that look like little scrolls of paper after they are eaten. ESPECIALLY the little scroll things. She wants me to switch her to a Volkmann's blend and start weighing her food before and after eating. BUT! She told me cockatiels are the fatties of the parrot kingdom and will gorge themselves if you start limiting them. I have to go by tiny increments of weighing her food, weighing it again at night, and doing 5% reductions here and there.

Overall, she says Serra is an active, healthy, slightly high strung cockatiel with a little bit of "cleavage." She isn't "obese" by any means. Just a little bit chonky.
She blamed the two things in the seed mix more than the occasional bits of cereal she gets out of my Dad, but I KNOW he slips here more on occasion. But I think our talk a few weeks ago helped.

Serra, you've gotta lose about 5-8 grams. I'm sorry, you doofus. :derptiel:

Stop looking at my energy drink. You cannot have any. Doctor's orders.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Captain Log posted:

I promised I would keep you all in the loop about Serra and her chonkiness -

Serra just got her vet check up!

Good news - My scale is way heavy. Serra weighed in at 128g at the vet when she weight 136g at home. :stare: Yeah, she has been on a diet for a few weeks, but I know she didn't lost 8g in a hour.

Chonk news - She wants to try and get Serra closer to 120g now that she isn't growing juvenile bird. I spoke with her about my father's "treat" regimen, but she made be go get my seed mix and talk to her about that. She identified two things in the mix (I'm blanking on what at the moment) that cockatiels will gorge themselves on. Millet and especially the things that look like little scrolls of paper after they are eaten. ESPECIALLY the little scroll things. She wants me to switch her to a Volkmann's blend and start weighing her food before and after eating. BUT! She told me cockatiels are the fatties of the parrot kingdom and will gorge themselves if you start limiting them. I have to go by tiny increments of weighing her food, weighing it again at night, and doing 5% reductions here and there.

Overall, she says Serra is an active, healthy, slightly high strung cockatiel with a little bit of "cleavage." She isn't "obese" by any means. Just a little bit chonky.
She blamed the two things in the seed mix more than the occasional bits of cereal she gets out of my Dad, but I KNOW he slips here more on occasion. But I think our talk a few weeks ago helped.

Serra, you've gotta lose about 5-8 grams. I'm sorry, you doofus. :derptiel:

Stop looking at my energy drink. You cannot have any. Doctor's orders.

Yessss! Nothing better than finding out your scales is inaccurate and you're a few pounds lighter than you thought, it's the easiest diet in the world :D

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

In before you find a few 4-gram eggs in mysterious places

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

redgubbinz posted:

In before you find a few 4-gram eggs in mysterious places

:hmmyes:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
SERRA

Lady of Chonkbirbs, Stealer of Treats, and Schmoozer of Older Peoples...

tell me your secrets of scale manipulation...plz <3

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Disco Salmon posted:

SERRA

Lady of Chonkbirbs, Stealer of Treats, and Schmoozer of Older Peoples...

tell me your secrets of scale manipulation...plz <3

Step One - Clean Butt

Step Two - Do a Stare

Step Three - Hiss Hiss

Step Four - Scritch Scritch

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/29sFbkC.mp4

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Captain Log posted:

Step One - Clean Butt

Step Two - Do a Stare

Step Three - Hiss Hiss

ah!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I love love love watching my tiels preen their tails and it's so hard to take a picture of.

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

Yikes! I forgot to update where things were with Pippin. My friend continued to watch him until I found a place to live. I was afraid he’d be so mad at me and be nippy, as green cheeks are wont to do as it is. He was just overjoyed and cuddled up to me right away. He’s been back with me for a few months now thankfully and is just as happy as ever. He still tends to be nippy with others, but he loves me and never bites. I just wish I could get him to be nice to others. He’s such a sweetheart if you know him.

And how the heck do you get a bird crazies sticker on your profile? In my best Roger Rabbit ... “ppppppppp ... please!”

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

mombot posted:

Yikes! I forgot to update where things were with Pippin. My friend continued to watch him until I found a place to live. I was afraid he’d be so mad at me and be nippy, as green cheeks are wont to do as it is. He was just overjoyed and cuddled up to me right away. He’s been back with me for a few months now thankfully and is just as happy as ever. He still tends to be nippy with others, but he loves me and never bites. I just wish I could get him to be nice to others. He’s such a sweetheart if you know him.

And how the heck do you get a bird crazies sticker on your profile? In my best Roger Rabbit ... “ppppppppp ... please!”

I can do that. In theory, I haven't messed around with mod powers a whole lot yet. Which one did you want?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I found a story on reddit relevant to this thread.

AITA for unintentionally teaching my parrot to say "what the f***"?

quote:

I recently bought a parrot and it made clicking sounds but I never knew it was able to talk. I've had this parrot for a week and I don't remember swearing in front of it, aside from one moment where my brother took my charger for my iPhone while I left it to charge overnight to bring to school. I was mad when I woke up and it wasn't there and my phone was dead, so I think that was when I swore infront of the parrot. Well fast forward to last night when my extended family came from Chicago to Canada and I had my little cousins sleeping in my room. The parrot starts swearing "what the f****" and making these weird head motions. My parents hear the commotion after my aunt gets mad, and things turn messy. My parents want me to give away the parrot now, and it's not my fault. This is the worst fking timing. AITA for swearing infront of my parrot and having him copy what I say?

In the comments about how people have heard about this scenario with toddlers:

quote:

Makes sense, as parrots are basically flying toddlers with wood chippers on their faces.

The comments are full of great rear end in a top hat parrot stories.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Cythereal posted:

I found a story on reddit relevant to this thread.

AITA for unintentionally teaching my parrot to say "what the f***"?

In the comments about how people have heard about this scenario with toddlers:

The comments are full of great rear end in a top hat parrot stories.

Aw c'mon, you can't just leave us hanging like that!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Suntan Boy posted:

Aw c'mon, you can't just leave us hanging like that!

quote:

My friend's grandmother had a parrot that could perfectly imitate her voice, and call the dog to its cage... and bite his nose. Then say 'oh, poor boy'. You'd think the dog would learn to keep away from the cage after a while, but apparently he didn't.

quote:

NTA. Parrots need to only hear something once to pick it up, and they will pick up what you least want them to. One time my husband and I were gifted a terrible kitchen island that came in pieces and was a bastard to get together. As my husband tightened the screws in, it would make this terrible squeal sound. My husband was very obviously worked up and agitated the whole time he worked on that drat thing.

Well, almost six years later, guess who still imitates that insufferable wood screeching noise? That’s right, Gatsby the parrot. He will fly to the couch and land right behind my husband’s head and make that noise in his ear.

quote:

NAH. Parrots are weird and pick up everything you don't want them to. My parents parrot still yells "go to bed" and calls my dad an rear end in a top hat, yet cannot for the life of him say hello. Another bird they use to own would whistle like a cop siren because my mom use to sleep with the tv on and cops would play late at night. He would go on for an hour straight and had to be separated from the other birds because they started plucking him for being annoying. Congrats and welcome to the life of bird ownership.

quote:

BAHAHA. I have a conure and she calls my mom a dirty bitch every time she sees her.

quote:

http://www.presidentialpetmuseum.com/pets/andrew-jacksons-pet-parrot/

Andrew Jackson’s parrot was swearing at everyone at his funeral and had to be removed from the service

quote:

parrots pick up words/sounds hearing it once some times. there are two things that might work in you and your birds favour 1) parrots move on pretty quick, s/he will find a new sound/word to say over and over and over, s/he will remember the word but they wont say it as much. My african grey still coughs like my dad and he's been dead since 2004. 2) there could be a trigger for the parrot swearing, my parrot swears when people are fighting or he will do the fire alarm when someone goes near the oven.

parrots are like toddlers, they will pick up verbally what you dont want them to.

mine swearss colourfully, does every alarm, trucks backing up, ring tones, gun shots *he got those from tv*, tells my dogs to come to his stand, he's bitten my puppy in the lip twice, scream, says Ho ho ho all year round, cough like different family members, laugh creepily in the middle of the night, floors and doors creaking, whistle the batman theme.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Captain Log posted:

Step One - Clean Butt

Step Two - Do a Stare

Step Three - Hiss Hiss

I'll have to try that...my Dr has been harassing me to lose the grams (haha) to try to get my sugar lowered so no meds. Hopefully, with Lady Serra of the Perpetual Snacks watching over me with that stare...I might get it lol

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

He is on my wrist but also ready to FITE ME

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

RoboRodent posted:

He is on my wrist but also ready to FITE ME

A Fearsome Borb Warrior (scritches plz)

I caught Serra right after she floofened herself up and yawned. The picture is CHONKY.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
a smol reminder of what budge in slow motion is

https://youtu.be/KYq8CvGyn58

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/existentialhype/status/995411964271710208

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sinbad isn't much of a talker. I've never pushed him to do it but for a few short, simple words. He doesn't say anything that I don't think he's heard hundreds of times so the stories of parrots repeating slips of the tongue are pretty far from my experience. He absolutely does do things he hasn't been actively trained to do, though, like snickering. I guess every bird is different!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think the thing with parrots in particular is that, like humans, they're used to complex vocal communication. There's a big language barrier, obviously, but they'll remember and use sounds that get a reaction they want. (again, like toddlers)

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

RoboRodent posted:

I can do that. In theory, I haven't messed around with mod powers a whole lot yet. Which one did you want?

Really!? Thank you! I guess the one like yours that says bird crazies. Or surprise me! Thank you!

mombot fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 28, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SuperKlaus posted:

Sinbad isn't much of a talker. I've never pushed him to do it but for a few short, simple words. He doesn't say anything that I don't think he's heard hundreds of times so the stories of parrots repeating slips of the tongue are pretty far from my experience. He absolutely does do things he hasn't been actively trained to do, though, like snickering. I guess every bird is different!

I dare you to leave your phone recording and leave Sinbad alone in a room for a bit. I bet he's learned more than he lets on.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

even without the gams, that budgie is just gorgeous!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

mombot posted:

Really!? Thank you! I guess the one like yours that says bird crazies. Or surprise me! Thank you!

Done! Anyone else need a gangtag?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i birb myself today
to see if i still screm

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

RoboRodent posted:

I would like one, can we have multiple ones

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I would like one, can we have multiple ones

You can. Presumably there's some upper limit to how much poo poo you can fit in your title, but I'm honestly not sure where it is.

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

RoboRodent posted:

Ack! Thank you so much!

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
From a friend who just got a puppy:

"Listen up! This is how it's gonna be: I'm the boss around here! Got it?!"

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

SuperKlaus posted:

From a friend who just got a puppy:

"Listen up! This is how it's gonna be: I'm the boss around here! Got it?!"

Ahahahaha, oh God that's amazing. That's some Peak Cockatiel, right there.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Oh how I love random Amazon acquisitions -

They are those little peel off arrows for contracts and the like. :derptiel:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N5I8C2W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Look at what just got a new frame. :derptiel:

This is still one of the most thoughtful things anyone has ever done for me. This piece of art is a treasure to me.

If the goon would like to identify themself, I'll let them. But if not, I'll say this - they are a truly kind hearted person who helped pick me up when I was down.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

It's so well done too, captures the essence of boodge

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Oh, it's so good. I love it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

What a lovely painting :3: In pookie news, I just balanced a small box on her back and she was so surprised she left it there for about 5 seconds. I tried to take a picture but that just told her I was messing and she threw it right to the floor. She is a smart girl.