Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Voiding a good third of my available shelf space seems excessive...

And is exactly what’s going to happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Some good news for the thread: Rainbow had her check up this morning and her lungs sound clear, her respiratory infection has cleared up and she's gained back some weight. I'm very pleased she's feeling better.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

bee posted:

Some good news for the thread: Rainbow had her check up this morning and her lungs sound clear, her respiratory infection has cleared up and she's gained back some weight. I'm very pleased she's feeling better.

Hooray for healthy Rainbow!!!

:downs: :respek: :derptiel:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Just a neutral post.
https://i.imgur.com/KRiklcT.mp4

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Disagree, that post is Neutral Good.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I would never get a single thing done, ever again, if I lived near wild parrots.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Am I the only one who clicked to the end first, because they were 100% sure he was going to get chomped? I was very glad he didn't, what nice polite birbs :)

vvv Gosh she's pretty! vvv

Pookah fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Sep 1, 2020

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Captain Log posted:

I would never get a single thing done, ever again, if I lived near wild parrots.

It's a struggle, I can assure you. This lovely lady has been hanging out on my back deck until I appear and give her a snack.

https://youtu.be/mJhTKk_aSkA

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2uLCwmUtJI
Volume warning

Rhetoric-o-Tron
Jan 5, 2009

by Pragmatica

today could have gone better

Rhetoric-o-Tron
Jan 5, 2009

by Pragmatica
(he's alright now. a little bit of blood; clotted in like a minute and a half; just the tiniest part of the skin-breaker part of his beak; seemed ok but keeping an eye on him he was treating food like someone with a deep cavity would treat sweets. when he did that with both a sliced grape and a Power Treat? that's when it was time. that and i can't put his favorite foods in front of him and know he can't eat them. that's just... i can't.)

i figured i'd include a few pictures of him doing The Razzledazzle.

please ignore that i have no concept of wire management.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Gobble is so good :3: I’m glad he’s ok!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I'm so glad he broke the tongue depressor and not someone's fingat. Swift recovery wishes for Gobble!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
That vet clearly knows a large parrot is healthy when they can happily destroy something.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Rhetoric-o-Tron posted:

today could have gone better

I'm on Meloxicam for arthritis. Can verify - is good.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I know it’s not exactly uncommon but I always get a little :eyepop: when animals and humans take the same medicine.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Did you know there's an implanon for birds? The vet suggested it for Tinky last week when I took Rainbow for her check up. Apparently, it's a dose of hormones in an implant, once it's in the bird it just turns off their horniness and any associated aggression.

It only lasts for a year though, and it costs about $800! For that much money I think I'll just keep Tinky and Rainbow in separate cages.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Poor Gobble :( good to hear he's getting better though (Gobble is a wonderful name btw)

bee posted:

Did you know there's an implanon for birds? The vet suggested it for Tinky last week when I took Rainbow for her check up. Apparently, it's a dose of hormones in an implant, once it's in the bird it just turns off their horniness and any associated aggression.

It only lasts for a year though, and it costs about $800! For that much money I think I'll just keep Tinky and Rainbow in separate cages.

Word of warning for anyone considering this - Pookie got that after she got very very hormonal and aggressive, and in the week after it was implanted she went off the charts aggressive, just constant rage and crazy eyes - she bit me hard five times, when once a year would have been about average for her. When the vet called to check in on her, I mentioned that she'd gotten even crazier and she (vet) said "oh yes, that's normal, her hormones will be all over the place for about 10 days".

Which would have been useful information before I'd gotten bitten all those times.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pookah posted:

Which would have been useful information before I'd gotten bitten all those times.

Too long for a thread title?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Bird Crazies: “[I’d got] bitten all those times.” “Oh yes; that’s normal.”

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
We're going to drive to the shelter in two weeks and surrender Nicky. She's slowly gotten more and more difficult to care for as her self-destructive behavior has built on itself, and no matter how much we love her and she loves us, we're struggling to continue to provide a healthy and happy life for her. It is a heart-wrenching decision that we really wish we didn't have to make, but we believe it's what's going to be best for Nicky in the long term. The shelter has a board member with specific Goffin rehabilitation and care experience and they've been really understanding. I'm going to miss her and it's very hard to not be crying most of the time right now, especially caring for her and knowing I'm going to have to let her go.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'll see if I can figure out how to change a thread title when I get home.

Edit: oh poo poo, I'm so sorry. That's so hard.

I believe that you did your best for Nicky.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

We're going to drive to the shelter in two weeks and surrender Nicky. She's slowly gotten more and more difficult to care for as her self-destructive behavior has built on itself, and no matter how much we love her and she loves us, we're struggling to continue to provide a healthy and happy life for her. It is a heart-wrenching decision that we really wish we didn't have to make, but we believe it's what's going to be best for Nicky in the long term. The shelter has a board member with specific Goffin rehabilitation and care experience and they've been really understanding. I'm going to miss her and it's very hard to not be crying most of the time right now, especially caring for her and knowing I'm going to have to let her go.

It's the tragedy of living with highly intelligent, complex beings who, sometimes, you just cannot give the exactly perfect circumstances they need, no matter how hard you try :( I saw how hard you worked to give Nicky the home she needed, no-one could have loved her more. It's my constant fear; that no matter how hard I try, I'll be letting Pookie down. Big parrots are a ridiculously big responsibility, and sometimes its not even a question of not trying hard enough, sometimes you just can't, they need something that's not possible for you to give. Not because you're not willing, but because its just not possible. I am so so sorry you've been left with this decision. .

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Yeah, it hurts but you’re doing what’s best for you and for her. :smith:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

You've done and are still doing your best by her. I'm sorry you all have to go something so difficult. Thinking of you guys and Nicky.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I wonder how many other parrots are in the same boat as Nicky. Covid-19 has resulted in some peculiar routine changes, and parrots tend to react badly to them. (Many parrots are upset for a while about something as small as Daylight Savings, right?)

It's sad that Covid-19 threw a wrench into Nicky's situation. You had to do what you had to do, and you can't explain the unusual circumstances to a bird.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

You absolutely love Nicky and you're doing the best for her, even if it hurts. I'm so sorry you have to go through this.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I feel like we had to choose between having her slowly die here in our care, perhaps over the course of years, or break her heart surrendering her. It's a brutal choice, and it's made worse by the fact that there's no way she'll understand what we're doing. No way to explain that we have to do this to have a chance of saving her life, and giving her happier life long term. She'll never understand why, she'll just have to experience she heartbreak of losing us, I think that might be the worst part. I can see how much she loves us every day and she can't possibly understand.

EDIT: We did hear from the shelter a few hours ago, and Nicky will be going directly to the home of the board member there with specific experience rehabilitating and caring for injured and neurotic Goffins, so we know she'll have a loving and capable person there for her immediately and constantly, which helps me feel a little bit better about it.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 4, 2020

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I feel like we had to choose between having her slowly die here in our care, perhaps over the course of years, or break her heart surrendering her. It's a brutal choice, and it's made worse by the fact that there's no way she'll understand what we're doing. No way to explain that we have to do this to have a chance of saving her life, and giving her happier life long term. She'll never understand why, she'll just have to experience she heartbreak of losing us, I think that might be the worst part. I can see how much she loves us every day and she can't possibly understand.

EDIT: We did hear from the shelter a few hours ago, and Nicky will be going directly to the home of the board member there with specific experience rehabilitating and caring for injured and neurotic Goffins, so we know she'll have a loving and capable person there for her immediately and constantly, which helps me feel a little bit better about it.

That does sound really hopeful. I just read back though all your posts about her* and my god you guys have tried so hard to help her, no-one could have loved her more :glomp: With any luck this person will have that *something* that she needs. It might be something as ephemeral as a smell, a colour, or a way of moving. Birds are so sensitive and so odd that they pick up on things that we can't control and aren't even aware of :( .

* I was going to suggest that being rehomed with other goffins might help, but wanted to check that she didn't have issues with being around other birds, in other words, wasn't just snooping though your posts.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

mediaphage posted:

Bird Crazies: “[I’d got] bitten all those times.” “Oh yes; that’s normal.”

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You know, It's kind of core to the whole large-beaked bird experience - I just checked my fingers and the scars from those bites are gone, but they were there for years afterwards. The funny thing is that I don't think Pookie's actually much less inclined to bite that she used to be (excepting the super-powered hormone rage times), it's more that her family understand her body language so much better than we did in the early years. Like, no surprise kisses plz, if you lunge in to kiss her beak without due warning you WILL get a nip. If you try to pick her up when she's all fluffed up like a football*, you will get CHOMPED. She's actually very explicit about when she's in a stink, we just didn't know how to read the signs.

Also she's ridiculously obvious when she's trying to get away with doing something she knows I won't let her do - she starts say 'hello', hewwo' 'hi' kissy kissy' 'hiyi' continuously, all while she's winding up to hopping over to a part of the kitchen she 100% knows she's not allowed play in.
She's absolutely trying to soften me up, but I'm on to her :3:

*unless its a slightly different sort of fluffed-up-like-a-football state, in which case, she feeling very loving, relaxed and friendly.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 4, 2020

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Pookah posted:

That does sound really hopeful. I just read back though all your posts about her* and my god you guys have tried so hard to help her, no-one could have loved her more :glomp: With any luck this person will have that *something* that she needs. It might be something as ephemeral as a smell, a colour, or a way of moving. Birds are so sensitive and so odd that they pick up on things that we can't control and aren't even aware of :( .

* I was going to suggest that being rehomed with other goffins might help, but wanted to check that she didn't have issues with being around other birds, in other words, wasn't just snooping though your posts.

The person she will live with works from home full time, since before quarantine and without plan for change. We know Nicky has separation anxiety issues, and hopefully she will bond with this new person and be happy being with them all day. We know that she'll be with other Goffins. We were told her previous injuries were caused by other Goffins in a communal living situation, and we know that we were lied to about other aspects of her previous living situations. Hopefully this can finally be the forever home we wanted to provide.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

While I will not try to lie about the sadness of the circumstances, I literally cannot think of a better way for things to play out. Nicky is going to a great, safe, competent, and caring place.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

The person she will live with works from home full time, since before quarantine and without plan for change. We know Nicky has separation anxiety issues, and hopefully she will bond with this new person and be happy being with them all day. We know that she'll be with other Goffins. We were told her previous injuries were caused by other Goffins in a communal living situation, and we know that we were lied to about other aspects of her previous living situations. Hopefully this can finally be the forever home we wanted to provide.

:unsmith: Like Capt. Log says, that does sound like about as good a new home you could possibly have found for her. I'm so sorry you've had to make this choice, it's heartbreaking :(

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Pookah posted:

You know, It's kind of core to the whole large-beaked bird experience - I just checked my fingers and the scars from those bites are gone, but they were there for years afterwards. The funny thing is that I don't think Pookie's actually much less inclined to bite that she used to be (excepting the super-powered hormone rage times), it's more that her family understand her body language so much better than we did in the early years. Like, no surprise kisses plz, if you lunge in to kiss her beak without due warning you WILL get a nip. If you try to pick her up when she's all fluffed up like a football*, you will get CHOMPED. She's actually very explicit about when she's in a stink, we just didn't know how to read the signs.

Also she's ridiculously obvious when she's trying to get away with doing something she knows I won't let her do - she starts say 'hello', hewwo' 'hi' kissy kissy' 'hiyi' continuously, all while she's winding up to hopping over to a part of the kitchen she 100% knows she's not allowed play in.
She's absolutely trying to soften me up, but I'm on to her :3:

*unless its a slightly different sort of fluffed-up-like-a-football state, in which case, she feeling very loving, relaxed and friendly.

i can't remember what kind of parrot my SO's coworker has but at their house, the birb has learned this workflow:

*eyes finger*
*screams "No biting!"*
*bites finger*

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/es8TCTE.mp4

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 55 minutes!
Nap Ghost
Blessed video

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
this video came up on my youtube recommendations as it does now and then and it made me realize that cockatiels are really the himbos of the parrot world aren't they. Cute, charming, good-natured, a bit dim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0hLIqWpJpQ

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Cockatiels are complete and utter doofuses compared to their parrot counterparts.

They aren't outright dumb, but really irrational. Even for a parrot.
---------------
I have to share this picture from the Portland Facebook Bird Group.

A person has a quail who gets to go outside that somehow managed to get her eggs fertilized. The owner saw one hatch, then brought the remaining eggs inside. They all hatched and look adorable in a plastic tub.

But the person posted this picture, saying, "Mom has been watching over her new babies from this perch."

I laugh every time I see this. It's such pure quail -

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

mediaphage posted:

i can't remember what kind of parrot my SO's coworker has but at their house, the birb has learned this workflow:

*eyes finger*
*screams "No biting!"*
*bites finger*

That is just good bird logic. That's just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Captain Log posted:

Cockatiels are complete and utter doofuses compared to their parrot counterparts.

They aren't outright dumb, but really irrational. Even for a parrot.

This rings true. I recently had an exchange with them where they were all sweetness and charm and then I told them I was going to work and I got hissed at. I was speechless because I didn't realise I had been teaching them that phrase (but in retrospect, of course I was), although their understanding of it is probably more like "mom is going to be gone all goddamn day, versus running errands for a few hours."

At the same time, I live reasonably close to a police station, hospital, and fire station, with my window overlooking an intersection with a major route. I get a lot of sirens. This is fine, but they are scary for the birds every goddamn time. It doesn't matter that they've heard sirens at least a few times a day for years, it might be something bad this time! Better yell about it and fly around if mom doesn't remind me it's okay in time! The oven timer beeped yesterday and this, too, was suddenly terrifying. It's not like I never cook.

All of their emotional reactions are just cranked up so intense they kind of lose themselves in it sometimes. I appreciate that because I feel like i do that too.