Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

This thread is one of my few sources of happy from these here forums these days. Requesting goon linnie vids or gifs if anyone has them to share. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Golden ratio spiral

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Plastic Pal posted:

This thread is one of my few sources of happy from these here forums these days. Requesting goon linnie vids or gifs if anyone has them to share. :3:

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Golden ratio spiral

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

oh my god

:love:

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Dead

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Can we go see the magpies at the park?
No, we have magpies at home.

Magpie at home:

(it's a super sweetie and flies down from nearby rooftops to see me almost every time I go out the front door)

Waiting to see what's in store:
https://i.imgur.com/nIH0P2f.mp4

Munching pellets:
https://i.imgur.com/Z6150Ch.mp4

Not enjoying how my phone is apparently specifically designed to pick up the sound of my breathing if I hold it at anything less than arm's length

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

GotLag posted:

Can we go see the magpies at the park?
No, we have magpies at home.

Magpie at home:

(it's a super sweetie and flies down from nearby rooftops to see me almost every time I go out the front door)

Waiting to see what's in store:
https://i.imgur.com/nIH0P2f.mp4

Munching pellets:
https://i.imgur.com/Z6150Ch.mp4

Not enjoying how my phone is apparently specifically designed to pick up the sound of my breathing if I hold it at anything less than arm's length

Love these cuties.

Think I might have accidentally started a turf war this morning when the Butcherbirds got a look in on Magpie Feeding Time.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

GotLag posted:

It's so bad on some of my Youtube videos I've considered playing music in the background.

loving phone mics, designed to catch even a whisper.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I can't stop laughing, I gave my two budgies grated sweet potato for their breakfast, they really seemed to enjoy it. Fast forward 30 minutes and they're both so hyperactive and being idiots, it's hilarious watching them. Wasabi is running about on top of the cage playfighting with anything and everything, chirping all the while. Chickadoodle is just extra cuddly and ninjamode. I only gave a teaspoon between the both of them. Love seeing them so full of energy and happy.

I stopped feeding them roudybush pellets three days ago, and imagine my surprise when Wasabi miraculously stops dropping the fattest turds and no longer has diarrhea. So I think whatever is in these roudybush pellets just don't agree with them. I'm going to get them a different brand and see if that's any better. Their poops are now back to normal - properly formed, a little bit of water, and urea on top. On the pellets, it was so loose and runny and watery.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
So, rendbird news i guess. get on discord if you miss these boys because imgur is hard baby.

Notpig has been with us for 5 months and there really really is still a question around whether it might be pig. Believe it or not. He's loved equally either way.

Chonk the cockatiel, after his window chonk bonk, recovered un-rapidly, becoming 100% roughly when his first big moult was midway through. When his first big moult was 90% through he hosed off out the door because I am a moron, returning about 76 hours later. This has increased the Bird Security Level in the household by 900%.

Oh yeah and here's three month-old budgies called in order of leftright Bettywhite, Bitey, and Budgel.

https://i.imgur.com/lXg9fly.mp4

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Um, you know round cages are bad for birds, right?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

fwiw postimages is a great site to use for image hosting for the time being

http://postimg.cc

less finicky than imgur.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

StrixNebulosa posted:

Um, you know round cages are bad for birds, right?

Um, have you thought about including some actual information in your post so I can tell if it's a bit or not?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Cages: Bigger is Always Better
(Thanks Battle Pigeon!)

What size cage is best for your bird? The bigger, the better. The absolute minimum recommended size is 2x the parrot's wingspan in preferably at least 2 directions. This is easy to do for a budgie and nearly impossible for a macaw.

Reasonable recommendations are as follows:

Small parrots (up to quaker size): 24" wide by 20" deep, bar spacing 1/2" to 3/4".
Medium parrots (up to Amazon size): 34" wide by 24" deep, bar spacing 3/4" to 1".
Large parrots (macaws, big cockatoos): 48" wide by 36" deep, bar spacing over 1".

Height isn't as much as an issue as length. Most birds will hang around near the top of the cage, and move horizontally, thus not requiring as much height. Be sure though that the cage is tall enough that your bird's tail isn't dragging along the floor when he moves around, especially if he's of a longer tailed species.

Make sure the bar spacing and thickness are appropriate for your bird. Horizontal bars that they can climb are ideal.

Avoid round cages. These will make your bird feel exposed. Avoid any materials (paint or metals) that contain zinc, as this is hazardous to a bird's health. Also, used bird cages can be risky-for example due to flaking paint, or not knowing what the previous occupant died of. With a good clean many will be fine, but you should weigh the risks carefully for yourself.

More cage info: http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-housing/bird-cages/choosing-bird-cage-guide.aspx

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Thank you. I'd never heard of that before (I don't keep caged birds) and your previous post sounded like some kind of riff on the "stop it you're hurting it" replies to every animal post ever on FB/Twitter.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

GotLag posted:

Thank you. I'd never heard of that before (I don't keep caged birds) and your previous post sounded like some kind of riff on the "stop it you're hurting it" replies to every animal post ever on FB/Twitter.

Oh. No, sorry. I wouldn't joke about this. I want all of the birds in this thread to be safe and happy!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Birds like corners, this is true.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

actually round cages are bad but not for nonsense bird psychology. it’s because they join at the top in ways that can be dangerous for birds to get tangled in.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

NITROUS DIVISION
anyway, this is BettyWhite the day after I adopted her, her brothers were abusing her and she clung to my hand and wouldn't let go.

After she'd been separated a bit, I brought her back to them to see if she wanted to be reunited, as she seemed stressed. NOPE.

So she spent half an hour here

And now she's got a spot next to notpig who she loves and is chuffed.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
What a cute little dinosaur :3:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How do you all manage to get good photos / videos? I have some extremely cute moments but as soon as I whip the phone out, they stop what they're doing to stare at the phone / jump on it, or because both hands are occupied I can't nab good shots. Chick nestled into my hand and became a fatty and it was adorable, she just sat there looking up at me with a "this'll do" look on her face, with the occasional butt-wiggle to get comfier. Kinda like when a chicken sits down in dirt and flaps it's wings to bathe.

I WANT YOU ALL TO WITNESS HOW CUTE THESE TWO ARE!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

DarkHorse posted:

My spouse rescued a fledgling pigeon (fledgeon?) from the road

pidgling?

lithium flour
Jan 27, 2012

a fully digital ovine
Hello bird thread! I have been a frustrated no-pets-allowed lurker here for some time, but will be moving house at the end of the month.. Once we're settled in, Project Bird can begin to start preparations for happening. I am going to have loads of questions for you guys!

Can I start by asking whether it is sensible for a first bird to come from a rescue? That would always be my preference, but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew with any behaviour issues.

Obligatory bird pic: this is my robin friend who used to come to my window and extort mealworms. A tiny but incredibly demanding creature.

(mediaphage, your gifs are the best thing :3:)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Nap Ghost

lithium flour posted:

Hello bird thread! I have been a frustrated no-pets-allowed lurker here for some time, but will be moving house at the end of the month.. Once we're settled in, Project Bird can begin to start preparations for happening. I am going to have loads of questions for you guys!

Can I start by asking whether it is sensible for a first bird to come from a rescue? That would always be my preference, but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew with any behaviour issues.

Obligatory bird pic: this is my robin friend who used to come to my window and extort mealworms. A tiny but incredibly demanding creature.

(mediaphage, your gifs are the best thing :3:)

Rescues are preferable to buying from a breeder in my opinion. You're usually getting an adult bird, so you know exactly what you're getting personality-wise and don't have to worry about birdy puberty changing them into holy terrors, even temporarily. You're rescuing at least two birds, the one in the rescue you adopt and the space you make for another one. If there are behavior issues you'll be aware and have time to research and prepare to handle them; meanwhile, you usually have time to interact and bond before bringing them home. I know several people who went into a rescue planning to get one type of bird and coming home with a different one because it bonded with them right away.

The rescue should work with you if you express your concerns about behavioral issues. They're not going to hand over a bird to someone they don't think will be able to handle it - if anything they can be too protective of their rescues

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Qubee posted:

How do you all manage to get good photos / videos? I have some extremely cute moments but as soon as I whip the phone out, they stop what they're doing to stare at the phone / jump on it, or because both hands are occupied I can't nab good shots. Chick nestled into my hand and became a fatty and it was adorable, she just sat there looking up at me with a "this'll do" look on her face, with the occasional butt-wiggle to get comfier. Kinda like when a chicken sits down in dirt and flaps it's wings to bathe.

I WANT YOU ALL TO WITNESS HOW CUTE THESE TWO ARE!

what you don’t see are the pictures i do not post

also i let them chew on it periodically which they find satisfying and also reduces their interest

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
My budgies are kind of leery around the phone. Whereas with Banane, the phone was like, the third member of the flock.

I miss that bird and I swear I'm this close to performing some necromancy magicks to get him back. >: [

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I sometimes think it's personality differences too and other birds just don't mind the camera. My parrot is like your budgies and will freeze whatever Kodak moment he was producing so he can floof up and charge the phone as soon as he sees it. I accept that I can sneak good pictures when I can and the other memories are just for us chickens!

Case in point you still got those budgie-in-hand-cave pics. So keep at it and you'll photograph what you do.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Serra has a new hobby.

She loves to find a piece of paper and chew on it endlessly while "nesting" in place. She isn't laying eggs and hasn't attempted a makeshift nest in her egg carton covered cage. But a tiny piece of paper is all she needs to pretend.

She becomes so very round when it's Play Nesting time -

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

such a good borb. we love you serra!!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Magpie at home update:
It was waiting for me this morning on the roof at the back of my house, so I put a couple of cheese shreds down for it in the food bowl and went back inside to watch. At the same time as it swooped down and started eating, a magpie-lark turned up and also wanted some. The juvenile magpie is already bigger than the adult magpie-lark but doesn't seem to have realised it can just ignore the lark, as it was making the same "mine!" grunting noises that magpies make with each other (as an example, two grunts from the female in this video).

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I love this thread. mediaphage has a special place in my heart, cause your two birds are adorable, but you've always been there to throw some advice my way from day 1. Mainly thanks to you I've got the birds on a regular sleep pattern (the little buggers will go into the cage and hunker down themselves close to bedtime now), and we're all happy as can be. They're out almost the entire day, and I get to put them in the cage when need be with no tantrums or fussing. That eager hop into the cage never gets old. Everyone else has been great help too, especially when I'm a worrier and panicking over something that turns out to be harmless. SuperKlaus remembering the hand-cave-pics was a feelgood moment.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

NITROUS DIVISION
RIP bettywhite. Too smol for this world.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

mediaphage posted:

actually round cages are bad but not for nonsense bird psychology. it’s because they join at the top in ways that can be dangerous for birds to get tangled in.

I mean, it could easily be both. My birds love sitting in corners of their cages and I can easily imagine feeling exposed in a round barred living space where you can't put your back to a corner to hide or defend yourself. Calling it nonsense bird psychology when we ourselves are not birds seems a little much.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

iRend posted:

ohhh iRend I'm so sorry :(

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

iRend posted:

oh god i'm so sorry

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I mean, it could easily be both. My birds love sitting in corners of their cages and I can easily imagine feeling exposed in a round barred living space where you can't put your back to a corner to hide or defend yourself. Calling it nonsense bird psychology when we ourselves are not birds seems a little much.

i found the statement weird and condescending when it was made so i looked it up and that was taken from a few vet pages which expressed consternation at people using statements like the above to justify no round cages when it's really the physical aspect that's an issue.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Qubee posted:

I love this thread. mediaphage has a special place in my heart, cause your two birds are adorable, but you've always been there to throw some advice my way from day 1. Mainly thanks to you I've got the birds on a regular sleep pattern (the little buggers will go into the cage and hunker down themselves close to bedtime now), and we're all happy as can be. They're out almost the entire day, and I get to put them in the cage when need be with no tantrums or fussing. That eager hop into the cage never gets old. Everyone else has been great help too, especially when I'm a worrier and panicking over something that turns out to be harmless. SuperKlaus remembering the hand-cave-pics was a feelgood moment.

in return, i love seeing your birb friends flourish.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

iRend posted:

Oh, I'm so sorry

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

mediaphage posted:

i found the statement weird and condescending when it was made so i looked it up and that was taken from a few vet pages which expressed consternation at people using statements like the above to justify no round cages when it's really the physical aspect that's an issue.

Sure, but either way the end result is "round cages are bad" and vets are also not birds or bird psychologists (though of course some do get more into the avian mindset than others). Issues taken with phrasing aside, one reason still doesn't invalidate the other.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
PESTO STOP EATING WALLS