Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

ahhhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Mayo status: hapy

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Groovy disco ball!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
She quite enjoys its presence and gives the multiple birds that live inside of it at least one good boop a day

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Aw hey, I have that exact disco ball.

Ozzy occasionally fights it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Chirpy almost died after eating some metal, and I'm fairly certain it came off a disco ball toy. Make sure you only get metallic toys from bird safe specialty stores--you can't trust stuff from generic department stores or big-box pet stores, unfortunately.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

After a conversation with the vet, Serra the Doofus got a vet appointment scheduled. As of today, she gained back all but one gram of what she lost in the space of a month and a half.

But the vet says there could be a simple explanation - Apparently, a cockatiels entire reproductive tract can enlarge enough that a cockatiel ready to lay eggs can gain 10% of their weight. Serra has gained back closer to 14%, but she is already a huge bird.

If it's just horny bird time, we won't worry too much. She might eventually get a birdie birth control implant, but she is still young enough for her swings to be big. If the weight gain isn't related to horniness, she will probably go on thyroid medication. Considering that Serra has started to forgo scritches to chew on stuff while she makes a chest poofed out "Hen" pose, I'm thinking it's hormones.

I know three people who own Serra's long lost brothers and sister. Each one is a a gargantuan cockatiel.

Look at this Borb. Just look at her. So smug in Hen Mode.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Wasabi has chronic diarrhea that comes and goes. I stopped giving them roudybush pellets cause I thought that was causing it, and for a time his poops were normal. We're back to watery, loose, light brown poops that slide down my hands. Chick has perfectly coiled brown ones that are easy to wipe but Wasabi's are messy and large.

Not really sure what I can do to help him get over this, the vet here doesn't do poop samples to determine what's causing it. Some days are worse than others and he'll be kinda lethargic and fluffed up, then other days he'll be energetic and lively and fine. He's had this issue for the longest time, though, almost two months now?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Halloween Jack posted:

Chirpy almost died after eating some metal, and I'm fairly certain it came off a disco ball toy. Make sure you only get metallic toys from bird safe specialty stores--you can't trust stuff from generic department stores or big-box pet stores, unfortunately.

Uh oh...

I’m fairly certain the only metal is in the little bell. The ball itself is plastic. I might remove it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Qubee posted:

Wasabi has chronic diarrhea that comes and goes. I stopped giving them roudybush pellets cause I thought that was causing it, and for a time his poops were normal. We're back to watery, loose, light brown poops that slide down my hands. Chick has perfectly coiled brown ones that are easy to wipe but Wasabi's are messy and large.

Not really sure what I can do to help him get over this, the vet here doesn't do poop samples to determine what's causing it. Some days are worse than others and he'll be kinda lethargic and fluffed up, then other days he'll be energetic and lively and fine. He's had this issue for the longest time, though, almost two months now?

have either of them started to eat fruit or veg? what’s their water intake like on days where you notice the issue?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Uh oh...

I’m fairly certain the only metal is in the little bell. The ball itself is plastic. I might remove it.

The metallized surface can probably be removed. Picked off by an inquisitive bird beak that likes chewing on edges and ingesting the little metallized slivers for example.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

mediaphage posted:

have either of them started to eat fruit or veg? what’s their water intake like on days where you notice the issue?

When this first happened, they weren't on any fruit or veg. I've only started giving them sweet potato in the morning for them to munch on since 3 days ago, but his diarrhea is the same colour and consistency as it has been from the start. His water intake seems to be the usual, big gulps in the morning, then if he's near it in the afternoon, a few small sips, then some more gulps before bedtime after eating. Chick's poop is perfect, having her on my shoulders or knees isn't an issue because hers is a perfect coil that is dry and easy to move off without leaving a mess behind (I don't mind about the urine). His is terrible and will stain and soak into my clothes which makes it a nightmare to clean. But I have seen him poop normally, it's just rare. His go to state seems to be big diarrhea piles.

Photo with flash on

Photo with flash off

Ever since I got him, he's never been the same as Chick. She was always more hearty and vigorous and has never once had diarrhea. He's always been slightly off? Way more lethargic, sleeps much more, not as energetic as Chick. It's an uncommon occurrence for him to be energetic, but it does happen. They're both from the same breeder.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Qubee posted:

Echoing what Mediaphage said. Pinto and Peanut will sometimes decide it's just a day to gorge on fruit and then get the splatters. So on the days that me or Ms Cookies gives them an apple slice to munch on, yeah, dye oh rea. Or Peanut swallows a bunch of shower water when we bathe for some reason (fuckin' weirdo birds) and his next few poops are watery.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Qubee posted:

When this first happened, they weren't on any fruit or veg. I've only started giving them sweet potato in the morning for them to munch on since 3 days ago, but his diarrhea is the same colour and consistency as it has been from the start. His water intake seems to be the usual, big gulps in the morning, then if he's near it in the afternoon, a few small sips, then some more gulps before bedtime after eating. Chick's poop is perfect, having her on my shoulders or knees isn't an issue because hers is a perfect coil that is dry and easy to move off without leaving a mess behind (I don't mind about the urine). His is terrible and will stain and soak into my clothes which makes it a nightmare to clean. But I have seen him poop normally, it's just rare. His go to state seems to be big diarrhea piles.

Photo with flash on

Photo with flash off

Ever since I got him, he's never been the same as Chick. She was always more hearty and vigorous and has never once had diarrhea. He's always been slightly off? Way more lethargic, sleeps much more, not as energetic as Chick. It's an uncommon occurrence for him to be energetic, but it does happen. They're both from the same breeder.

to be honest i don’t see a real problem with that assuming all of that poop in the picture is the problematic bird. one thing to remember is that all birds are different and you may be reading lethargy into a bird that’s just sort of lazy and standoffish. some of the excess may be him just drinking more water as it all comes out at the same time.

with that said, you may or may not wish to look into something like benebac for birds, which is a birdy probiotic supplement. i don’t know that it will make a difference but you never know.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

DarkHorse posted:

The metallized surface can probably be removed. Picked off by an inquisitive bird beak that likes chewing on edges and ingesting the little metallized slivers for example.

Understood. Sorry Mayo but I’m retiring that toy! I’ll give her some wheatgrass to play with and eat for now.

Qubee, Wasabi sounds like he’s similar to how Mayo is. She’s a big lazy butt who likes to spend her free time chilling with a foot up in various spots in the house. Of my two birds her poops can be much looser and if she’s spooked she’ll basically empty herself and it’s usually very liquid.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I’m mean

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Well I'm feeling a lot better about him now, cheers. Maybe he's just destined to be a big poopy butt.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Qubee posted:

Well I'm feeling a lot better about him now, cheers. Maybe he's just destined to be a big poopy butt.

Are you certain He is a He? Females get runny poops when they are thinking about making eggs.

In other news, Serra has become very determined to make a nest out of my pants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmbX0MVC6ZE

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

(Capitalized part of) username post combo

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

BEAK HOLE

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Serial killer eyes.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Weird beak hole is higher. That's just scritching the scrawny chimken neck

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Captain Log posted:

Serial killer eyes.

a happy serial killer :kimchi:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

a happy serial killer :kimchi:

:hmmyes:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I should have taken a picture of the delicious lunch spread I laid on for my back yard bird friends today.
Two kinds of fortified pellets, a sprinkling of sesame seeds and sunflower kernels, a generous serve of rehydrated freeze-dried crickets, and a very light garnish of the crumbs from the bottom of the shredded cheese bag.
Little Magpie was waiting for me to put it out and promptly sought and consumed every scrap of cheese, but at least it's eating the crickets now.

Later today it will no doubt be visited by the magpie lark pair, as well as some of the local sparrows. I've seen a spotted dove or two perched on the fence but haven't seen them at the bowl (they're the shyest of the lot and probably take off when they see me coming through the back window).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

GotLag posted:

I should have taken a picture of the delicious lunch spread I laid on for my back yard bird friends today.
Two kinds of fortified pellets, a sprinkling of sesame seeds and sunflower kernels, a generous serve of rehydrated freeze-dried crickets, and a very light garnish of the crumbs from the bottom of the shredded cheese bag.
Little Magpie was waiting for me to put it out and promptly sought and consumed every scrap of cheese, but at least it's eating the crickets now.

Later today it will no doubt be visited by the magpie lark pair, as well as some of the local sparrows. I've seen a spotted dove or two perched on the fence but haven't seen them at the bowl (they're the shyest of the lot and probably take off when they see me coming through the back window).

i love all of this :kimchi:

we have mourning doves here. does the spotted dove do the same sort of protective fakeouts? when the mom is on the ground when we're out and about, she'd start flapping and pretend she has a broken wing to draw predator (us) interest away from any potential nests or fledglings.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Reminder of birdcord. Come outpost me.

https://discord.gg/36SQxtGf

Also have this

https://i.imgur.com/tqniz4i.mp4

and this

https://i.imgur.com/loITss0.mp4

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Captain Log posted:

Are you certain He is a He? Females get runny poops when they are thinking about making eggs.

Definitely a he (maybe, 50/50 chance). Too young for egg laying, he's only 3 months old AFAIK. Please send me a Serra feather so I can clone her. My two are equally addicted to nibbling on pyjama bottoms.

Getting a 2nd smaller cage to timeout Chick because her shenanigans are getting too much. The OG Companion Budgie has grown on me and I don't like seeing him get bullied. So if Chick keeps doing this nasty business, she can sit in a boring cage for an hour until she learns that bullying Wasabi for no reason = boring cage time. Google results indicate that if they're assholes now, they typically stay assholes especially if they're female, so fingers crossed I can make her somewhat bearable to other budgies. I've also birdproofed the highest points in the room as I don't like them perching above my desk and dropping nukes all day (I just put plastic bags on the handles and on top of the big scary snake rope above the AC). They're currently in a state of confused annoyance whilst a new perch location is tracked down, because the high cagetop clearly isn't high enough for these two spoilt blobs.

Edit: right as I posted this I looked over and she's feeding him :cripes:

Qubee fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 21, 2021

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Mochi had his first appt at a new vet, which went well, and he got tested to get dna sexed because we're concerned after Ama pulled a surprise. Vet said one person's bird laid its first egg at THIRTY FIVE. Insane. Anyway, vet opinion is that Mochi is chonky (we knew this, but didn't realize his target weight should be in the mid 50s and not the mid-60s, currently at 63, because from what I'd looked up 65g was appropriate GCC size) and needs to work harder for his food and be forced to fly more.
We'll be doing plenty of bird tossing, but can you guys recommend your best foraging toys that will work with small pellets? He tends to prefer plastic to natural stuff- I make him paper and board and natural fiber stuff all the time and other than his one mat he pretty much ignores it.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Here's what was left this morning:

And here it is, with plate cleaned and refilled:

The big pellets are the least popular, I probably won't buy more when they run out. I had thought the sparrows might like the sesame seeds but there were still quite a few left over.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Recently on adventures in working with wild birds:

An osprey and a double-crested cormorant tolerate each other just long enough for me to drive past.

I try very hard not to smoosh this Scaley-breasted Munia. Only after I released them did my boss inform me they are an introduced species (but not invasive) and I could take one home as a pet.

Next time, little.

I've gotten some female yellow-headed blackbirds in my traps.

I am 1000% confident if they had the chance to murder me, they would.

The geese are starting to take their families for walks.

I'm pretty sure this is Father Figure here being Very Concerned that I am on the other side of a metal fence from their partner and kids.

I was smug about taking pictures until they took shelter under my car from the already 90 degree sun. Can't fault them, it sucks! So I patiently waited to get back to my car and leave.

The California Quail families continue to be ever-present and impossible to photograph. You can see one male here (barely, if you squint) keeping watch for me by their favorite water source, the hose.

Although I have managed to be quiet, get closer without spooking them and all of that, they are always being rightfully wary and on their way out. Maybe one day I'll get a good picture.

Lastly, I made a new friend

I named him Koopa, because I am a nerd.

Although I am sure he did not enjoy his 24 or so hours with me as much as I did, I hope he's now well on his way to a new home via the rescue a biologist contacted for me. I promise he was only in the wooden container until we got to my car, then I put him in the largest ice chest I had, filled it halfway with water and made a ramp for a dry spot for the night. I try not to be a monster.

Red-eared sliders are a turtle species that are extremely invasive and were introduced from the pet trade. Typically people go 'oh cute turtles' when they are tiny and don't realize that they will individually get to the size of at least dinner plates, and thus need a great deal of room and care.

We now have a very strong wild population of them, this one just happened to be by one of my bird traps and I scooped him up. Although he is probably wild I hope he has a better life not worsening the situation for our native turtles, who cannot compete.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Action shot:
https://i.imgur.com/4va30D5.mp4

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Serra Status - BORB

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

That is an extremely round bird.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Sera has developed a fascination with smooth fabrics. Silk, rayon, polyester. He wants to rub his face on it, nibble it gently and run it through his beak, sit on it. Occasionally I'll just burrito him in it for fun and he'll happily sing in his burrito. Yesterday I pulled an old shirt made of that thin active wear type fabric out of the drawer and he climbed all over me licking the fabric.

It's absolutely bizarre but incredibly endearing.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Chaosfeather posted:

Recently on adventures in working with wild birds:

An osprey and a double-crested cormorant tolerate each other just long enough for me to drive past.

I try very hard not to smoosh this Scaley-breasted Munia. Only after I released them did my boss inform me they are an introduced species (but not invasive) and I could take one home as a pet.

Next time, little.

I've gotten some female yellow-headed blackbirds in my traps.

I am 1000% confident if they had the chance to murder me, they would.

The geese are starting to take their families for walks.

I'm pretty sure this is Father Figure here being Very Concerned that I am on the other side of a metal fence from their partner and kids.

I was smug about taking pictures until they took shelter under my car from the already 90 degree sun. Can't fault them, it sucks! So I patiently waited to get back to my car and leave.

The California Quail families continue to be ever-present and impossible to photograph. You can see one male here (barely, if you squint) keeping watch for me by their favorite water source, the hose.

Although I have managed to be quiet, get closer without spooking them and all of that, they are always being rightfully wary and on their way out. Maybe one day I'll get a good picture.

Lastly, I made a new friend

I named him Koopa, because I am a nerd.

Although I am sure he did not enjoy his 24 or so hours with me as much as I did, I hope he's now well on his way to a new home via the rescue a biologist contacted for me. I promise he was only in the wooden container until we got to my car, then I put him in the largest ice chest I had, filled it halfway with water and made a ramp for a dry spot for the night. I try not to be a monster.

Red-eared sliders are a turtle species that are extremely invasive and were introduced from the pet trade. Typically people go 'oh cute turtles' when they are tiny and don't realize that they will individually get to the size of at least dinner plates, and thus need a great deal of room and care.

We now have a very strong wild population of them, this one just happened to be by one of my bird traps and I scooped him up. Although he is probably wild I hope he has a better life not worsening the situation for our native turtles, who cannot compete.

Chaos, these posts are my favorite thing :kimchi:

subpar anachronism posted:

Mochi had his first appt at a new vet, which went well, and he got tested to get dna sexed because we're concerned after Ama pulled a surprise.

Speaking as someone who was surprised again this morning, that's a great idea!!!

Well, not surprised, she was telegraphing pretty clearly. Poor thing. Charlie is definitely her loyal protector, he was angling to keep an eye on her the whole time and clearly more distraught than she was :shobon: :lol: :shobon:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Caught her hanging upside down like Batman, it was the cutest thing ever. They always get funky around bedtime. I wanted to take her out to cuddle her but it's bedtime routine so I don't wanna start messing things up.

https://i.imgur.com/AyXmy5z.mp4

Settled for this instead, almost cracked me. Came so close to opening the door and just chilling with her. She's always a huge cuddleball leading up to bedtime. I think it's a combination of her being tired and knowing it's bedtime, she becomes way more open to cheek scratches and will throw herself into them. In the day, she's too energetic and will keep bouncing around.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Qubee posted:

Caught her hanging upside down like Batman, it was the cutest thing ever. They always get funky around bedtime. I wanted to take her out to cuddle her but it's bedtime routine so I don't wanna start messing things up.

https://i.imgur.com/AyXmy5z.mp4

Settled for this instead, almost cracked me. Came so close to opening the door and just chilling with her. She's always a huge cuddleball leading up to bedtime. I think it's a combination of her being tired and knowing it's bedtime, she becomes way more open to cheek scratches and will throw herself into them. In the day, she's too energetic and will keep bouncing around.

This is adorable. Also, is it just a bird thing to be super well behaved and cute right before bedtime? It makes me feel like a villain every night when I put Pinto and Peanut away and they're pulling out all the tricks and asking for scritches and preening my beard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i think it's that naturally bedtime is a time for hunkering down and being social with your flock, siblings, or partners.