Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007
Hi fellow bird crazies, I hate to be a downer in such a new thread, but yesterday my almost 3 year old budgie passed away rather suddenly.

He was fluffed up at the base of his cage being very non-responsive when I took off his cage cover in the morning. I high-tailed it to the vet keeping him warm the whole way and chatting to him, but he passed as she was examining him. She told me he lost a lot of blood from his mouth after he passed, and after looking inside him she thinks he must have had a pulmonary embolism or something.

I'm torn between whether there was something I could have done to save him or not. He was so young I feel like this shouldn't have happened. Does anyone have any advice or know of anything like this happening before?

I bought him shortly after moving away to grad school and he was my baby. I also have a two year old conure so I worry that if my budgie was sick my conure could be sick too. But the vet said it is unlikely...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007

Captain Log posted:

But with denim and similar things, I worry about breathability of the fabric. Is that an issue?

I also have this question. I gets pretty cold in my apartment and I want to make a new, warmer cage cover for my conure. I was thinking flannel but my grandma suggested something thinner lest there isn't enough air flow.

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

I just lost my budgie Pancake to a respiratory infection :(

He leaves behind Potassium, a female in a huge cage. I'm looking to get her some company, up to three new birds, but I'd like to avoid the PetCo route for once and find a good breeder. Maybe even get some handfed birds for once.

I'm in the Bay Area of California. Any recommendations?

Not a breeder per say but I got my CGC conure from Julie's Birds and Boarding in Campbell. The woman who runs the place is lovely and boarded my little guy for two months when I was between apartments a while back. She doesn't sell budgies though, only cockatiels, conures, etc.

http://juliesbirds.com/