Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

So my dad is looking after Murphy while I'm living interstate. She really likes it when I come home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

When I was living in Highgate Hill, we had snakes trying to get at the budgie. We had to peel them off the cage with a broomstick.

That hardass loving budgie lasted another four years.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I got mugged by a Kookaburra once.

:shrug: Queensland.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

My potato, Princess Fluffybutt Murphy is getting used to the idea of pellets. She still tries to eat them the way she would seed, and every day, there's always a layer of red ones in her dish because they are cockatiel poison, apparently.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Thyrork posted:

So I'm writing a fantasy story which birds will play a role. I'd appreciate any antidotes about "smart bird, best bird!", or... well, anything really! Plan to have them be one of my key fantastic creatures and they are based upon Magpies as a starting point.

So hit me goons with your cutesy, smarty bird tales so I may draw upon your experiences. :3:

Obviously there should be something about the horror that is magpies in swooping season.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I tore some skin climbing, and apparently the resultant bandaid is the most terrifying monster to cockatiel kind.

She refuses to take food from the hand that it's on, and flaps away in terror when it's anywhere near her.

What a derp.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

One day, one day, Toast will remember that hot teacups are hot. Today, however, is not that day. Tomorrow does not look good either.

He's currently staring very hard at the cup. He knows there is something he needs to remember about teacups. But what is it????

Any decent Aussie battler knows that Toast gets dipped into tea. It's just how things work.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Sekkira posted:

Brisbane. Cold.

This is the only acceptable response to the heat:

If you haven't sprayed enough, she'll lift her wings to make sure you can get under there.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Bad news; We've had a few 45-degree days down in Melbourne too :supaburn:.

Melbourne 45 is not the same as Brisbane 45 :colbert:

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

The Narrator posted:

Not sure if non-Australians will be able to watch it, but have a ~half-hour documentary about a Corella named Ngarritj who's basically bird-king of Galiwin'ku in East Arnhem land of Australia's Northern Territory.

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/618217027900/ngarritj

This video is a pro-click.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Queensland Bird Crazies road trip time.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

The rules for fingers:

Crooked finger: is for scritching. Is good.

Straight finger: is for stepping up not for scritching. Is bad, must screech and maybe fly away.

Or: "I lean down against the finger it will maybe be for scritches anyway"

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

For what it's worth, Crows, both my current monster, and my previous monster were rescued escapees. Hopefully someone has picked him up.

Here is the current monster, trying to eat my dinner when she thought I wasn't looking.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

East Coast best coast.

Adventures in scritches:

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Was cleaning the bird cage.

Bird laid an egg so small it fell through the bars at the bottom of the cage.

Patrovsky fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 4, 2016

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Kind of makes me wish it was proportional to the poopmonster. What's the market like for a teacup tiel?

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Gaston posted:

I have acquired the human's flesh. Form the circle of sacrifice.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Murphy really likes it when I visit on weekends, because she will not let anyone else scratch her.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Join the potato cult.

Speaking of bird places, though, I've still never been to Currumbin.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Tofu Terry posted:

Someone (on a different forum) suggested I just get a dusky shipped to me but I'd definitely want to meet any bird before I get it. >_>

Mail-order birdwife

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

It's really hot.

http://gph.is/2jILVFF

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Murphy fricking loves scritches.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Captain Log posted:

The angle there makes Murphy look like the world's smallest bare eyed cockatoo. What is Murphy? Other than cute. I get that.

In addition to a screaming fluffmonster, she is a derpy l'il potato.

Battle Pigeon posted:

Murphy is very cute and deserves all the scritches

I told her this, and she said she already knew.

Patrovsky fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jan 27, 2017

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Murphy is finely tuned to the sound of a packet of chips opening. She will go bananas if she hears it.

I absolutely do not just crinkle things to tease her.I'm lying, I do it all the time

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

It was ridiculously hot today, but someone needed a clean cage, so have a wet dinosaur chicken.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Massive flock of Loris in the backyard today. Murphy was not impressed.

When we lived in Canberra we got some pretty good cockatoo flocks to rival Gaston, but I'll have to find the pictures.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I found some birds on the internet

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

This is what happens when I say goodnight

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Here's a video of a bird kissing a tangerine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R1btRr_F28

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Birdoit B Mandelbird.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Even with the enticement of millet, Murphy would not go near the pumice perch that I bought for her. Mum thinks it's the colour.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Boys more so than girls, I think. Boy potatoes are pretty vocal, whereas my girl will only scream when she wants something (i.e. only treats or scritches), which is always.

Fun fact- auto correct tried to turn scritches into scrotum.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Ama is going to be everywhere and I love it.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Stolen from reddit.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

On the topic of crowdfunding, a car crashed into the Midwest Avian Adoption and Rescue Services, or so tumblr tells me. Their fundraiser is here: https://www.youcaring.com/midwestavianadoptionandrescueservices501c3-792239

LAB, if this is inappropriate for birdthread, let me know and I will remove.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Murphy decides the new perch probably isn't going to kill her. She still hasn't figured out that she can actually use it as a perch, though.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Murphy knows exactly one trick, and it's "flipping for treats."

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

https://imgur.com/a/aAdAk

So apparently they sell birds at the Rocklea Markets.

The Galah's name was Sam, and he could talk. It was loud enough that I couldn't quite catch what he was trying to say.

The corellas really liked to playfully bite my fingers while I tried to scritch them.

I was sorely tempted to buy a friend for Murphy, but since she's living with my parents right now, I don't think I would've been able to get away with it.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I don't think I've said this yet but Murphy is extremely cute by the way, I love white/white and grey cockatiels :3:

I had her as the lock screen on my phone, but had to change it, because I would have to stop and stare every time I tried to unlock.

She is cute, but she also knows she is cute, which means she knows that she can wrap me around her pinky claw :3:

I don't think I could handle five of her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Walking home from work today, I saw two dead galahs underneath a power pole :(. I haven't really seen any wild ones around this part of town. Poor little guys.