Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.
Since we're on the topic of poop and this info is apparently impossible to find on the internet:

About how big are a green cheek's poops? I want to get a green cheek eventually (but not while my budgie buddy's around). Budgie poops are generally tiny, self-contained swirls that clean up super easy with the corner of a kleenex. What would I be dealing with if I had a green cheek in the house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.
On the subject of birds and popcorn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhGd_ICTFSs

Noodle only gets one piece, and only then mostly tears it apart instead of eating it. Noodle LOVES popcorn even though she tried to pretend she didn't (prior to beak-clicking and giving it kisses) after I brought out the camera. :3:

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.
Clapping Bird has nothing on Tequila Bird. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMvj_-1Uvp4

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.
I've also heard the story (one of the bird store's customers related his story to the store after the death of -all- of his birds :cry: ) about Teflon oven liners. Poor guy was in an apartment, and turned the oven on to clean. He didn't realize the complex had teflon liners in their ovens, and the immense heat from the cleaning cycle created enough fumes to kill his birds. Guy was absolutely devastated and so were the ladies at the store (since at least one of his birds were handfed by them).

I have a couple pans with Teflon, but I don't superheat them and I use exclusively bamboo utensils when I'm cooking with them.

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.
So I've been sick, and Noodle hates me for it. :smith:

I ended up losing my voice from it all so to her I guess I'm some sort of scary, flashy-nailed (she also hates my nail polish) silent thing. If I go out of sight though, she starts contact calling and I can't call back to her!

Whenever I cough I guess it also sounds like Angry Budgie Noise which she'll repeat back to me in a sort of "Fine, be that way!" tone. :(

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.

dopaMEAN posted:

We're starting to think harder about getting a budgie. But the idea still terrifies/excites me.

Budgies are really adorable and sweet birds. Even when they're being hormonal little shits in "I hate the world and I'm going to be vocal about it" mode, they're still adorable. I would advise getting one that was hand-raised though, rather than one from the bin o' budgies at a local pet store.

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.
I think my favorite one is when he does the Flintstones tune with the lyrics "Disco, meet the Disco" only because he sings his first line and then does a "doop de-boop boop" thing to continue the song. :3:

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.

Frogmanv2 posted:

The only way I can keep squirt away from my dinner is by shutting him in his cage, which we try not to do, because its hilarious watching how sneaky he tries to be when attempting to steal the food.

Which brings up another point. He loves chicken. Should I discourage him eating his cousins?

Whenever I give my budgie some egg, I tell her that her brother is delicious and that she should try some. I also tell her I'm going to microwave her and eat her for dinner because of the whole "budgerigar/good to eat" thing, and then as she's giving me kisses for it I'll apologize with a, "You'd be full of too many tiny little bones anyway, like balut!"

Edit:

Deadly Chlorine posted:

gently caress I also really hate the "it's just a small bird, I'll upgrade to a macaw one day" mentality, a lot of friends joke about trading their small birds for a eclectus or whatever, but they really really love them and each one is special in his or her way.
Ugh, me too. I ultimately chose a budgie because they were inexpensive and easier to take care of than one of the large parrots. While I do want to get a conure or a caique one day, that day will come many years down the road when Noodle's passed on. I love that little bird and it'll break my heart when her time comes. :smith:

Sapphaholic fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Apr 12, 2013

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.
Noodle (budgie) turned three years old this spring. She's all up in the middle of her big seasonal molt AND her cere's gone all crusty so she's been a bit more bitchy than normal. This year though has brought something new--when I have her out, she's hyperactive and struts about with her head down and tail up. A friend has agreed with me on this being a mating behavior, so I immediately upped her sleeping time.

Other than giving her more covered "night" time (a bit over 12 night/12 day), is there anything else I can do to try and subdue/avoid the hormonal behavior? Having a horny budgie on hand isn't really ideal, but the main thing I want to avoid is her deciding that laying eggs would be a good idea.

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Awesome red tailed hawk on the phone pole outside my parents house. Dad said he thought he was big enough to swoop up our 12 pound dog. Yikes!

He has a leg band on. Do you have a raptor sanctuary near you?

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.
Oh my god, Kasonic, I am so sorry. :( I'm terrified of letting my bird wander around on the floor precisely because of that sort of thing. I can't imagine the pain you're going through with something like that. It's a terrible thing to have happen and please don't blame yourself too much for it.

Bleusilences posted:

So I am thinking to get a budgie, I read the op so if I understand well they are playful bird? Is it ok if I leave it alone one day alone time to time? Are they noisy ( I live in an apartment)?

I have a single budgie (very local independent store, not a bin of budgies) and we're best buds. From my experience, budgies have really short attention spans but they'll still love the poo poo out of you. I essentially bought her when she was a few weeks old and visited her in the store as often as I could until the owners decided she was weaned enough to come home--so she came to me tame and already knew how to step up.

She'll shake hands and give me kisses on command (bapping her beak into my face while making a very specific smooch noise) but I haven't really gotten her to learn any tricks besides that. She's an adorable little companion although she gets pretty bitey from time to time. She also freaks out VERY easily but I think that comes with the whole "small prey creature" thing.

WorldWarWonderful posted:

And as morbid as it sounds, a budgie is about a ten to twelve year commitment if all goes well. A cockatiel can live up to three times that.
There's this, too. Noodle's only three but I'm going to be absolutely crushed when she gets too far up there in age for her little body. :(

Sapphaholic fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 5, 2014

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.

WorldWarWonderful posted:

I was thinking of the opposite - I mean you kind of need to be absolutely certain you can commit to a pet that lives longer than a mortgage. Might you move a lot for work? Have a large family? Have health problems? Lose patience? I love my birds, but they're eight years old and I'll basically be living with a pair of destructive, moody toddlers that poo poo on everything into my 60s.

That's true, I guess I'm more thinking of the budgie lifespan in particular when I know I'm going to want to keep birds for longer. I'd love a green cheek eventually but given their lifespans I don't know if it's in the books for me.

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.

chthonic bell posted:

Except all the information on budgie diets I can find online is super contradictory. Feed them seeds. No, feed them pellets. No, feed them both and add grit. No, grit is actually harmful, don't give them grit. :doh:

Definitely no grit, the idea of parrots needing grit is an outdated notion and could impact their crop.

I have a single budgie, she does well with me working during the day (we give her plenty of toys and I have her out whenever I'm home, so long as I'm not cooking or eating hot things). Super sweet bird. I've tried and tried to get her to eat pellets but she absolutely refuses. :( She loves the heck out of vegetables, though, especially anything green.

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.
Yeah, that sounds like either happy or hungry baby budgie noises. They'll learn to make Proper Adult noises eventually. :3

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.
Did somebody say budgies?!

Noodle turned four this past May! I haven't been able to teach her too much past stepping up, making kissy noises (as she bonks my face or finger) on command, and "shaking hands" with one foot, but she's still my favorite little featherball ever.

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.
My budgie, Noodle, has them occasionally. I'll take her out and try to calm her down, poor thing, and its usually at least ten minutes before she'll go back to her cage to sleep. :(

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.

quote:

Here's one that goes a little more in-depth and has lots of pictures:
http://www.scottemcdonald.com/pdfs/bad%20beaks.pdf

Oh hey, Dr. McDonald! He comes to the store I got Noodle from and does free checkups (by appointment) once a month as part of a "Well Bird Clinic" program. He's a cool guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.
My budgie, Noodle, turned five this month! :toot:

The little snot still loves my wife more than she loves me. My wife is not, in the slightest, a pet person.