Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

EDIT: ^^^ Same

After losing my leopard gecko pal of 22 years half a year ago, I think I'm ready again for an animal companion. For some reason, a loud, smart, trouble-seeking, dumb, loud bird seems like a good choice. A lot of the links are dead in the OP, or telling me how to get huge with steroids, but I've been trying to get educated on birds. I've always loved cockatiels (and the other 3 people in the house are cool with it. They have had cockatiels around before). I have a few questions for the thread on stuff I may have missed.

Nobody is home from M-F 9am-2pm (I get home at 5) and I'd hope that a cockatiel wouldn't go nuts with that much alone time. I would plan on having the cage in the dining room, as it's central and people pass through a lot. My thinking is that it would help the bird not feel lonesome? Or does it stress a bird to have people pass through and not stop at the cage, in a sort of "hey, where are you goin?!" sort of way? Or is it one of those It Depends sort of things?

Do birds *do* second cages? If possible, I'd like to be able to bring the prospective bird into the (furnished) basement where most of my crafts and projects happen. Because crafts and projects are happening, I'd like to be able to keep the bird nearby to keep them company, but out of the way. Does that make sense? Will a bird ever think of it as a second hang out spot, or get bitter that it's being stuck in not-their-home, or Does It Depend?

What do you wish you knew when you got your first bird or specifically a cockatiel?

These might be dumb questions, I just want to make sure I'm not gonna make a bird housed but unhappy. Thanks in advance for any answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

The crafts is mostly painting miniatures or normal painting. Every once in a couple months I'll solder something small, but I wouldn't keep the bird around for that. There's a dehumidifier down there that filters air so I would hope nothing nasty lingers around.

I should also say that the other 3 haven't been cockatiel owners before, but have been around them, so they know that they'll squawk loudly but I don't think they would know, for instance, what a bird can/can't eat.

Thanks for the responses

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

It's D&D/warhams type minis. Acrylics, no airbrushing. Not using anything wild to clean my brushes, no turpentine or harsh paint thinners.

If it's a worry, I just wouldn't paint around the bird.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

The pet store I've been going to for over 20 years just had a fire. A lot of animals were saved, but they also lost more than a few, including an african grey that's been there for as long as I remember. And the sweetest cockatoo. None of the birds survived. I was planning on going to them to get a bird friend, but now.... quietly sobbing at work for all the lost pets.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 6, 2018

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Just caught up with a bunch of posts in this thread. Birds: They're so good.

Not that I expected anything overnight, but my local pet store that burned down hasn't rebuilt. I hope they make a comeback, I really loved that store. There's a bird place near by but it would almost feel like betrayal going there. I know that's silly. That's countered by me missing animal companionship, I really should go take a look and see if there's a future friend waiting.

Reading this thread makes me smile, though.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

nielsm posted:

rear end in a top hat.

so angery.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Went to Ms. Cookies's mom's place and made a friend. (sorry for the self tweet.)

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1048972435087872000

The bird fluttered around and into the kitchen near the lit stove. All I could think to do was bodyblock the lil guy, so he just booped into my chest and fluttered to the ground. Just wanted to keep him from the stove and food. Then he was kinda bumbling around on the ground like a happy dope, stomping and singing. Hopped right up on my finger and happily went to his cage, singing and head bobbing the whole way.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Can they be trained to NOT preen any moles or skin tags? Unlike some other birds?

What? What makes you think I've experienced this? Why would you ask me that?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

You ever walk into a bird store with your S.O. and you completely fall for a tiny little cutie who immediately warms up to you both, then you spend the next day and a half literally (figuratively (maybe)) scrounging together the money for that bird and associated costs, taking personal inventories making sure we can take care of this bird, and generally just spend some time being giddy at the though of a bird?

Because my girlfriend and I totally fell in love with a canary winged parakeet. I mean, he already poo poo on both of us, so we're in, right?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Won't be able to think about anything else til 5:30, which is when I go to pick up my bird.

That's right, I will soon be a birded gentleman.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1057410543995273216

Sorry for the tweet but BIRD ACQUIRED.

HELLO PINTO

He is in his new cage home and he's already chirping for attention. I thinks he's more comfortable out of the cage?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

This bird doesn't want to be in the cage. Just wants to eternally hang out on Ms Cookies's shoulder. If she leaves the room, Pinto instantly starts chirping for her. No such attachment to me (only a little jealous, but more confused)

Y'know, she does look a lot like the girl from the store that took care of the guy for 6 months. Would that play into it?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1057604285280731137

joke staged photos aside,

If Pinto is on Ms Cookies's shoulder, he is nearly impossible to coax off. If Ms Cookies is merely in the room, he will want to get closer to her. If it's just me in the room, Pinto is happy to sit on/near me and preen away. I'm tolerated, but obvs not the favorite right now. We've been trying to explore what foods he loves. The almighty sunflower seed reigns supreme, then there's dried papaya, then banana, spinach, peppers, other seeds, and at the very bottom is carrot, which gets thrown to the ground on sight.

Left for work and I already miss the lil booger.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

New king of food is grapes. Pinto loving loves grapes. It's still pretty funny how much he hates carrots. It's astounding. Throwing carrots off the counter with extreme prejudice.

Had a great little training session with the little guy today after work. I've gotten him to fairly reliably step up on my finger. The sunflower seed bribes helped. Then we just chilled together as I watched some machining videos. He made some sounds that I understand to be happy noises. Only day 2 with Pinto and I feel like he's already getting pretty comfy and we have a sort of bond going

I'm just all :kimchi:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Pinto purrs :3:

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1058324527594266626

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I'm suddenly feeling like I need to teach Pinto some etiquette.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Pinto is super fuckin' mad at me because I committed the unspeakably terrible act of...... picking up my guitar? Dude flew away (he is very much clipped) and generally freaked the gently caress out until I put the guitar out of sight. He's now sitting in his cage and is doing the crouch/open beak posture when I'm nearby.

:smith: I didn't mean to scare you, buddy.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Tricking Pinto into loving apples.

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1059102334125555712

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

And now this -_-

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1059123627407360001

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Man, I love looking at great birds. And this thread is full of em

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I wish Pinto looked at me the way he looks at a bag of grapes.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

RoboRodent posted:

I achieved showers with Sera by bringing him into the shower with me. He gets a place to sit and watch. I scrub down, and then Sera gets the opportunity to come sit on my shoulder or hand near (but not directly in) the shower spray, where it splashes off of me and on to him. He enjoys it, and likes hotter water, which I think is why the spray bottle has never been successful with him.

With Ozzy, who I don't think even knew how to take a bath before he came to me, it took nine months of demonstrating "shower" with me and Sera and holding him near the water and giving him the opportunity before he actually decided to participate. He has bathed twice now. Twice. He's my stinky boy.

I just brought Pinto into the shower with me for the first time yesterday. He seemed to enjoy the water splashing off of me, not wanting to go directly into the shower stream. Only problem is that he never wants to step off my shoulder or finger. Makes showering very tough when I can only wash with one hand.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Teddy is adorable.

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1060722187437572097

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

:swoon: what a great bird

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Plant MONSTER. posted:

My bird wrote a song

Out of Millet (and it's Your Fault)

Chorus:
ACK! ACK! ACK!
ACK! ACK! ACK!
ACK! ACK! ACK!

*indecipherable chatter*

(chorus)

*head bobbing solo*

(chorus x3, fades out via blanket being put on the cage)

Oh yeah, I heard that one. It's getting a lot of play here in NY

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1062122476145164290

Pinto came into the shower and stepped into the water on his own!

Then afterward, I had him on my shoulder on a washcloth. He lost his balance, the washcloth started sliding down, then he grabbed the washcloth with his beak, continued to fall, rolled, and ended up swaddling himself. I caught him, he panicked, and now he's sitting on Ms Cookies's shoulder and mad at me.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Jasper looks so dang sweet. Beryl is also a good bird.
HI TERRA :kimchi:
Love that ciaque
That cockatiel switch is so awful :smith:

Here's Pinto running back to my finger after getting some punishment floor time.
https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1062161530626682880

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

DrakIris posted:

Beryl learned from when we had a cockatiel that the floor has Tasty Treats sometimes and seems to rather enjoy being on the floor. I have no means of punishing her @@

Pinto loves being on shoulders so dang much, he'll get bitey sometimes if we try to take him off our shoulders. Luckily, he's so tiny his bite doesn't really hurt so I can no-sell his beak and pretend it doesn't phase me. Trying not to positively reinforce the biting behavior.

I'm torn on trying to get him used to being around us without being on our shoulders, and respecting him being comfortable on our shoulders and not wanting to push him and associating negatively.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'd like to give out some gangtags!

If any currently un-tagged bird goons want one, just post or message me with the one you'd like (script or square) and we'll get you hooked up. :)

:regd08: yes, please, and thank you

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

That drawing is god drat adorable.

Speaking of cold birds, we got Pinto a mini heat pad for the inside of his cage, and he loves the thing. He's also been starting to get comfortable in his new home, where he's starting to play with some of his toys more.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

As long as he's being a dumbass interested in the keys on my keyboard, might as well stage a lil pic

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1069941713060401152

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I think I see 22

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Tendai posted:

Galaxy conure brain

taps temple with claw

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1071174513361068032

Of course decides to climb away the instant I try to record. Dance on the keys like you were :argh:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

What a fantastic bird. Animals can be lil shits, but god they're wondeful

Also I made Pinto cookies
https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1075196499791880193

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

no no no , birbfoot is a giant hairy humanoid

that has lil budgies for feet.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

*flipping through the tv, land on the history channel*

"That's.... millet scraps.... we're close....!

UP NEXT ON FINDING BIRBFOOT"

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Speaking of feet, Ama's decided the soles of mine are ideal for cuddling.

The weird.

Pinto once touched the bottom of my feet and I instinctively just yanked my leg away too quick and scared the poo poo out of him.

Sorry, Pint, I'm just really ticklish

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

So God drat precious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1077196939849072640

Come on Pint!