Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I figure this is the best place to ask, so... bird crazies, is there a polite way to tell a neighbor that their new bird needs to learn to shut up? The family in the apartment right above mine brought home a new pet bird a few days ago - don't know what kind - and it's started screeching and yelling its head off every evening when the sun goes down and sporadically after that. I don't know if my neighbors are home when this happens or not, but it's getting extremely irritating and I'm wondering if there's a good way to tell them their bird is a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Carfax Report posted:

Is that a parent with chicks, or two different types of birds?

Based on the sheer fuzziness of the little birds, I think it's the first option.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
All this is making me start some research on potentially getting a pet bird when my apartment lease comes up for renewal. I'm not active enough to want a dog or keep one happy, but I'm considering a cat or bird (from the OP, a cockatiel sounds best for me) as a companion pet that won't mind that most of the time I'm at home, I'm at my computer desk.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I see. I was going more off their descriptions of temperament in the OP - I'm an apartment dweller who works evenings and have been looking into a pet that doesn't require being terribly active and lives for more than a year or two, so it's come down to birds or cats. I always had cats growing up, but I've always enjoyed watching birds and have lurked in this thread for a while for the pictures.

Thank you for the advice, and I'll keep doing research. There are actually wild budgies around where I work. :) Lots of feral budgie populations in coastal Florida, and a flock of them likes one of the palm trees outside the building where I work.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Another bird question for getting an impression of how loud/noisy they are in person - are bird shelters a thing like for cats and dogs, or am I better off going to a local pet store?

Sorry if these are noob questions about birds - I know a lot about cats from growing up with them, but not so much about pet birds. Never knew anyone who had one aside from a godawful noisy cockatoo in the neighborhood that you could hear half a dozen houses down the road.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

That bird desires the total extinction of mankind. I hope you're happy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Me too. A Grey or a macaw used to be my heart's desire, but then I got a GCC and discovered most birds aren't as docile as an elderly ladytiel.

I once had a neighbor with a macaw, and I currently live next to a decent-sized airport. The airport is quieter.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A flock of wild budgies has moved into the trees next to the building where I work (Florida - we have budgie populations throughout the state). :) They're fun to watch, but noisy as all get out and utterly impossible to take a good photo of. The mockingbirds seem to really, really hate them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Agent355 posted:

I had a large cage with I think 6 budgies in it at one point. I can only imagine the noise an entire tree of them would make. The burbly chatter from budgies is probably my favorite bird noise. :3:

We've already gotten a couple of complaints from students (I work at a university) about the CHEEPCHEEPCHEEP from the budgies and the aggrieved mockingbirds trying to evict them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GoldStandardConure posted:

I grew up in The Pilbara in WA, massive flocks of wild budgies and finches (and galahs) were just a regular every day thing. Its pretty cool going out for a walk in the bush and seeing a flock of about a billion budgies all burbling and flapping about.

Wild budgies are common in parts of coastal Florida, but today was the first time I've seen them show up where I work. Fun to watch, but very, very loud most of the time. Kinda hope they'll stay.

I have, however, come to the conclusion that birds are not the pet for me. Too smart and needy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The budgie flock that set up shop in a tree near the building where I work is still there, a few days later. Looks like my university has picked up a bunch of parakeets living in the palmettos. :3: Not as noisy now, but still adorable to watch.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Crossposting from PYF:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Out of curiosity, does anyone else's Chrome grind to a halt on this page? Takes forever to load and while it does, it's almost completely unresponsive. No other page in this thread does it, and even my other tabs are fine.

Yeah, seems to be Grraarrgghh's lovebirds. I noticed the problems as soon as those were posted.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

They're crazy-smart animals. Off the top of my head, they've been reported to drop walnuts on crosswalks (specifically crosswalks!) so that cars will crush them, and then wait for a red light before flying down to collect their food.

Cracked did a photoplasty article today about animals acting much smarter than we normally give them credit for. Crows account for about half the article, plus a couple of parrots.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dreggon posted:

can birds be gay?

Yes, someone in the chicken thread was recently talking about how two of their roosters only want to boink each other rather than the hens.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Stuff like this is one of the reasons I decided birds were not for me when I was looking into getting a pet. I would prefer not to worry about my pet thinking I'm its mate.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Crossposting from PYF.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Crossposting from PYF.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

painted bird posted:

I mean, I genuinely looked into getting a 'too, so I can't throw any stones in this glass house. They're adorable and I want to be friends with one.

I decline to get a pet liable to remove my fingers if wires in its brain get crossed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

painted bird posted:

You could say that about a large dog, too.

I'm a cat person. Looked into birds as pets, but then I read the description of birds as perpetual three year olds and said nope. They're adorable and I enjoy lurking in this thread reading about their antics, but I'm glad I don't own one. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

painted bird posted:

I love cats, but the idea of a companion animal that can interact with me on the level a bird can is too much temptation. I'm fundamentally broken and I am going to end up with fifty large rescue parrots.

Each to their own, I don't like the idea of a companion animal as needy and noisy as birds seem to be. Still, they're cute and many of the stories are amusing, but then people offhandedly mention their bird pooping on them and I am so very glad I don't actually own one.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
PYF found something relevant to y'all.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

My great-grandmother enjoyed talking about The Wars (all of them) when there was lots of rationing, so, in their part of rural NSW, Parrot Pie and Pigeon Pie were not uncommon dinners.

Apparently she even made it a couple of times for her other descendants who had missed out on the experience.

A friend of mine from semi-rural Australia has mentioned that his family occasionally makes stew out of wild cockatoos they shoot, considering them annoying pests.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Why is there a dildo in your bird cage?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sekkira posted:

what species they are.

I sort the birds in this thread into a few varieties: green derp, white/yellow derp, big derp, and the occasional orange derp.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

What is it you want us to do?

Die... DIIIIIIIIEEEEEEE...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Wild budgies live all over the county where I am in Florida. They're not even a remarkable sight anymore, just little green birds that always travel in big flocks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Coastal Florida also has wild peacocks in a lot of areas. Unlike the budgies, I'm not fond of the peafowl. Sure, the males are gorgeous, but they're incredibly stupid, loud, and poo poo everywhere.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

And her hair and probably everything you see in that photo.

Tough call between y'all and the rabbit thread over who tries to turn the bigger rear end in a top hat in the animal kingdom into a pet. :v: At least cat owners have the excuse of toxioplasmosis.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Crossposting from PYF, a bad idea if you have a cockatoo in the house:

http://i.imgur.com/8yS5jEp.gifv

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Trebuchet King posted:

Yeah, I love budgie noises. As much appeal as the concept of a 'too has, space-wise I'm pretty much limited to a conure or a couple budgies. There's a petco (petsmart?) near my local Target and sometimes I go in just to watch/listen to the budgies.

A flock of wild budgies lives on the campus of the university where I work. Most mornings when I walk in to work it's to the sound of cheepcheepcheepcheepcheepcheepcheepcheepcheepcheep.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Guard dogs may still be a thing, but there's apparently a promising future for guard parrots...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

If you startle an emu its likely to spaz the gently caress out for a few moments before running away, looking incredibly undignified while doing so.

If you startle a cassowary its likely to kick you in the head.

If you don't startle or threaten either of them they are mostly chill. You see pictures of cassowaries wandering into peoples yards in north QLD all the time to find fruit to eat. But I seriously wouldn't take my chances with one, those claws are scary.

There are emu farms in Florida. I went to one on a school field trip once. As long as they're tame emus are chill as gently caress and friendly as long as you're not wearing anything shiny.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

anotherblownsave posted:

I'm watching the ALCS, and the local news affiliate comes on during a commercial break (I'm in Boston) one of the stories they're going to cover on the 11pm news is "Wild Cockatoo holds neighborhood hostage" I'm going to have to DVR the news now.

Florida already has thriving populations of wild budgies, pythos, peacocks, and emus. Over/under on when the state develops a cockatoo population?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shakenbaker posted:

We also have conures :eng101: Cockatoos would probably take care of our retiree infestation though.

Little by little Florida is apparently turning into America's Australia.

Edit: Terrible start to a new page, here's someone's pet bird.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Frogmanv2 posted:

And rhino/elephant horns/tusks. And scales on some snakes and fish I think.

Yep. It's called keratin.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Crossposting from PYF.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thyrork posted:

So I'm writing a fantasy story which birds will play a role. I'd appreciate any antidotes about "smart bird, best bird!", or... well, anything really! Plan to have them be one of my key fantastic creatures and they are based upon Magpies as a starting point.

So hit me goons with your cutesy, smarty bird tales so I may draw upon your experiences. :3:

Depending on how smart they are, as someone generally interested in non-pet birds I'd recommend looking into real-world examples of crows and ravens being intelligent, because they're smarter than the average player in World of Warcraft: crows and ravens have been observed not simply talking to each other and using tools, but outright teaching each other how to make and use tools, avoid poison and traps, and which people will feed them versus which are mean to them, and this has been observed to spread across entire national populations of the birds.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Patrovsky posted:

Obviously there should be something about the horror that is magpies in swooping season.

They don't swoop at you if you feed them every now and then. Just pay your protection crackers and you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Once they trust you they get really bold.

Translation: once you pay your protection crackers, they expect payment promptly when they send the head-bombers around.