Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

I have some wild sulphur crested cockatoos that come to visit occasionally. One of them is a nice friendly fellow who will happily pick seeds out from between my fingers (the rest just bite) except sometimes after I hand-feed him for a little bit and then put seeds down for him, he'll eat the seeds, then flap up to the window, sit on the windowsill and just sort of... peer in to see what's going on.

Any idea what he wants? I've tried sitting outside with him while giving him food and he just sat there and ate for 10 minutes until I got bored. Today I tried feeding him, going and doing something else and coming back half an hour later and he hadn't moved :tinfoil:

He doesn't let me pet him either. Wild bird and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 24, 2011

What can I do with a (wild) cockatoo who's really friendly, walks up to me, doesn't back off at all when I go near, and is very eager to eat whatever food I offer - yet bites the goddamn christ out of my finger whenever I directly offer him food? I even feed him out of a cup and he's fine, munch, munch, crunch and he's bit me again :argh:

I guess I could just not hand-feed that particular bird but he's not shy or aggressive, just an rear end.

Aug 24, 2011

Oh god, giving a parrot bubblewrap is genius. I gotta see if I have some lying around.

Aug 24, 2011

Any idea how to deal with a MASSIVE PRICK of a cockatoo who bites other birds and tears out their feathers given a chance? He sneaks up behind them too and eats their food.

Aug 24, 2011

Aug 24, 2011

Aug 24, 2011

http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=2392

i like the parrots that have these

Aug 24, 2011

chthonic bell posted:

Birds in a nutshell.

I just dropped a lot of money on toys (and also Nutriberries and Poop Off) for the budgies. I hope the little jerks appreciate them and don't ignore them like their current toys. :argh:

I too spend a lot of money on scrunched-up bits of paper

Aug 24, 2011

give your bird pieces of trash like scrunched up paper, sticks, leaves, food wrappers, etc.

if they're big enough try to find them a pinecone, they love those

Aug 24, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Many times I'm at my desk my chin is propped up in the palm of my hand. Amadeus has lately decided that two-thirds of the palm of my hand should be his instead.

He stays there for a very long time.

there's so much fluff i can't even tell where his face is

Aug 24, 2011

give them cereal boxes they will go inside the boxes

Aug 24, 2011

does anyone have any really huge birds

Aug 24, 2011

aerialsilks posted:

That seems like a bit little, but I could be mistaken. Is letting birds free-feed an issue? I was planning on doing his fruits and veg in the mornings when he's hungriest, and then having his pellets available all day to pick out. Millet and the tropical nutriberries are definitely being set aside as treats, yeah.

one of the birds will eat all of the food, take a poo poo on your favourite chair, then want dinner

Aug 24, 2011

Wizard of Smart posted:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=727643487350299 This is a facebook video of a cockatoo runing around shouting things. It's the highlight of my day so far.

LivesInGrey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgSieJU70BQ

Same video on Youtube, if that makes it easier for anyone.

it does :)

how do i tell if a sulphur-crested cockatoo is fat or not? they're huge and fluffy which seems normal

Aug 24, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

Mindo has found a new place to poop from: above the clean dishes.

He's gotten into this before, but we haven't been able to get a picture of him. It must be really uncomfortable because it's TINY and his feet wrap all the way around it. He's quite unstable while up there, but can hop between lights. It's all LED so no worries on burning him.

He's also trying to alight inside of our cabinets and up "inside" the little recess above our blinds where they hide when you raise them. It's not bird sized, but it means he sort of hummingbird hovers in front of them for a bit before flying off. We've tried clearing a cabinet of things he can break but we can't get him to actually land inside of one.

Since when can you get toucans as pets?

Also do their bites hurt as much as I think they do?

Aug 24, 2011

Pip pip pip posted:

In addition to this, make sure you are providing hard wood toys for your bird to chew on. My conure chews on cuttlebones, but they barely remove the "flakes" that form on his beak sometimes. The wood hanging toys and foot toys are really what helps to wear things down from my experience.

Similarly- my friend's cockatoo has access to cuttlebones, hard toys, and those soft "kebab" type toys. For some reason he is a prissy baby and only chews the cuttlebones and soft toys. He needs beak trimmings every few months too. If you guys know THAT ONE WEIRD TRICK to get a lazy bird to chew on hard stuff, my friend would LOVE to know. She's tried all the normal strategies without much luck. She even tried smearing the toys with natural peanut butter and the bird just licked it off.

in my experience cockatoos really love munching on anything resembling flesh, i.e. fingers, toes, etc. see if your friend has any flesh-coloured sex toys lying around (make sure they are hard wooden things) and can trick the bird into biting them

Aug 24, 2011

GoldStandardConure posted:

I set up a bird feeder a month or so ago, but all it was attracting was pigeons and willy wag tails, until yesterday. A few new friends have appeared!

:3: that's so cool

you need about 4-5 birds before they'll let you handfeed them, it's like a diffusion of threat due to numbers thing

Aug 24, 2011

Boodge Bum posted:

Holy poo poo, that's cool. Make sure you put out THE GOOD STUFF to keep them coming back.

sunflower seeds!

Aug 24, 2011

SaNChEzZ posted:

doesn't even like sunflower seeds. What's wrong with you bird! Thoughts?

I think you have a dog

Aug 24, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Hahaha, he's just not a bird person! He likes quiet, low-maintenance pets and I think we can agree that a GCC is certainly not that.

It's okay, I give Ama plenty of love to make up for it. :3:

buy him a potted plant your bird will destroy it and establish dominance

Aug 24, 2011

only if it screams loudly at random intervals

i have seen a small child cry because of how loud cockatoos are

Aug 24, 2011

Sociopastry posted:

Welp. My birds are indeed loving. Jesus, guys, it hasn't even been a week.

should I get them something to nest in? I wouldn't be adverse to baby booges, but I also know there's always a risk of health problems.

do birds get neutered or are you going to have a bunch of little baby birds

Aug 24, 2011

can birds be gay?

Aug 24, 2011

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Does the Pope poo poo in the woods?

i don't know? it's not something that's ever come up, he's a pretty down to earth guy i'm sure he would yeah

Aug 24, 2011

you need to be really careful if you have a person beard that is larger than your bird beard because they take it as a challenge

Aug 24, 2011

you have to talk to them in an australian accent otherwise they think you're a foreigner

Aug 24, 2011

what the gently caress is that

Aug 24, 2011

how do i get a raven's attention? i have food he's just a huge pussy and stays ~500 metres away (i know he can see me they have good eyes)

Aug 24, 2011

one of the cockatoos is a retard and keeps eating my beef

Aug 24, 2011

Eejit posted:

Gonna let you know that all of the cockatoos are dumb idiots, not just that one. They are omnivorous birds though, hth

oh ok, i thought they ate seeds and maybe the occasional grub

i assumed that this one particular bird (who is stupid) was eating meat because he didn't realise he's not supposed to

Aug 24, 2011

GoldStandardConure posted:

The galahs I have attracted into my yard have decided that rather than eat the seed in the bird feeder, they would rather eat the bird feeder itself. Bastards.

fyi if you have any heavy objects outside on tables and such they will drag them off the tables so they smash on the ground to get your attention

Aug 24, 2011

chthonic bell posted:

So Hubris is bullying Gnosis. I think I've posted about this before - he shoos Gnosis away from food (so he can eat first). After he's started eating, he lets Gnosis join in, but I'm becoming a little worried. Is this like, just normal bird social hierarchy stuff or should I be doing something to discourage him?

you need to get another, bigger bird, who is able to scare your first bird away

if you have two sets of food then the first bird will eat from one set then scare your other bird away to eat from the second set. the second bird will then eat from the first set.

it is an adequate setup

Aug 24, 2011

aww ickle babbies too scared to be bit by small parrot

put your finger in that bird's mouth and let it bite you, it's the bird's finger now

Aug 24, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Amadeus likes to be included when I take selfies by flying over to my shoulder and then being adorable. Lately "being adorable" means he styles my hair for me. :3:

Also, Ohtori is so beautiful. I can never get over all of his lovely colors. :3:

if you stick your nose in their feathers they either preen your hair or bite your nose 50/50

Aug 24, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

Oh hai guise, something showed up in the mail...

He loves it! :v:
She also wanted to say thanks and that she loved it :3: thanks blackflare!

In other news, those photos are all amazing. Ohtori continues to look like Froot Loops, Amadeus is a ~*~stylist~*~, and I have never seen an angrier birdy burrito. Also :derptiel:

that's awesome

i love your bird's facial expression "oh god what is that"

Aug 24, 2011

Tadhg Dall posted:

I apologize for the potato quality of these pictures but it is extremely hard to take pictures of the back of your own head.

Having a bird napping in a hammock made of your own hair is a weird feeling.

lmao

legit how does that actually happen and how is the bird not falling out

Aug 24, 2011

Grraarrgghh posted:

Yeah keep them as isolated/with fresh air as much as possible til the house airs out sufficiently and they should be okay.

In other news, Will Ferrell maybe owns a Sulfur-Crested Cockatoo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qGMtOu5HPU

he keeps calling it a boy but it's a girl cockatoo :haw:

Aug 24, 2011

why do cockatoos eat mud out of the drainage pipes

Aug 24, 2011

chthonic bell posted:

Gnosis and Hubris ignore like 70% of their toys, too. :haw: They seem to pick a favourite toy and then slowly chew it to bits over the coming months.

just give it random poo poo lying around the house and save $200

pets are always more interested in that important paperwork on your desk than the custom-made chewtoy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 24, 2011

Tasty_Crayon posted:

are the worst.

Nnngh Lola stop being cute for like five seconds so I can warn people away from you

that bird is cute