Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

This is Mickey.

Mickey is my GCC. I say "my" but we're really his. Mickey likes loves long hair.

Perching on it;

Perching in it;

And so much more. Mickey loves to eat with you. In fact, he'll have what you're having. Straight from your mouth, thank you. We're trying to slowly break him of that and I think it's going ok.

Mickey loves to snuggle and be held, but refused to step up when we first got him. He responded really quickly to positive reinforcement and praise, though. So we're currently trying to tackle potty training.

At night, once he's covered, he stands on his perch and clutches his mirror and says "pretty biiiiiiiiird, baby biiiiiiiiird."

pros He's super snuggly and loves us a lot. He quickly picks up new information and responds well to being loved on.

cons We got him from petco (which I normally wouldn't have done but) because he'd been there for more than six months and nobody really paid much attention to him. He started barbering his feathers. Barbering is a behavior similar to plucking, but the feathers are bitten off and not pulled out. So he looked like this

I wouldn't go back for the world though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Amadeus is literally making me :3: in class.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

After being gone all day (Mondays at my school :argh: ) Mickey climbed on my shoulder and started berating me in whatever bird language he speaks. But every time I said "pretty bird" he stopped mid-tirade and gave me kisses. :3: birds.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

mikerock posted:

Yeah I would go for a rescue bird. Our previous bird experience is 4 finches and now our GCC.

Approximately how many babies do they eat per day though?

Having had two Greys in our family, my experience is that they eat about a half a baby, or a chunky kitten per day.

They also really love chewing on the bone from a t-bone steak. (seriously.)

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Deadly Chlorine posted:

Oh my god there's an adorable hawk head parrot at a pet shop nearby! Must resist bringing him home... :ohdear:

SEND HIM TO ME!

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

With Mickey and new foods, I have to take a nibble and then let him have it out of my mouth before he'll trust it on it's own. v:shobon:v I dunno. Birds.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Holy crap Amaya! Those are so awesome. I'd love a print of Mickey being silly. :neckbeard:

On another note, I know there was a lot of cage discussion in the last thread - but I've gone back several pages and can find it. I'm looking to upgrade Mickey's cage to one he can be in for a while during my upcoming long school hours. (It sucks, I know, but nursing school. :argh:) his current cage is fine as a sleeper, though it's a bit small for my preferences. The ideal cage would have a playtop assembly and one of those nifty seed collecting skirts that funnel debris into the tray underneath. Thanks in advance for the help.

Also on an even different note; Mickey has started chewing up his food bowl and I don't know how to get him to stop it. I don't want him swallowing plastic pieces :ohdear:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Speaking of defective conures; how did ritz's tests come back? Ive been wondering since you mentioned it sanchezz and I don't think you've said. :ohdear:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

BitchKitten posted:

Haven't posted in here for awhile. But I am wondering, if anyone else's conure/bird does this as well?

My conure Egbert will do this, whenever he preens himself. Is this normal behavior among conures(or other birds).
(His perches/cage are clean now too)

Mickey does this and it's hilarious, I thought he was broke. He'll hold onto his tail while trying to do other things sometimes too.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Amadeus and I have a little routine, whenever I go out of town for a weekend. For the first couple hours after I return he hunches happily on my shoulder, mumbling "pretty bird!" and "cutie" and giving me kisses. If I don't give him enough kisses he says "hey, baaaby!" until I remember I'm supposed to be begging forgiveness and go back to lavishing attention.

After he's content that I'm truly repentant he crawls into my hand where he gets lots of head scritches and gentle squeezes. Then, once he's feeling pampered and beloved and ready to go to sleep, he lifts a foot so that I can give him a tiny little birdie foot massage.

Like this. :3:

This is probably the cutest thing I've ever heard and the people in my MWO lance channel are confused as to why I was "awww"ing because stupid voice activated microphones but still. Birds.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

SaNChEzZ posted:

Awful app quoted the wrong post :downs:

I'm still using the old one until the new one gets it's poo poo straightened out.

Pile of Kittens posted:

Soak him in warm water for a bit, then towel him and flip him over and reveal his butt end. Then you should be able to gently clean him up with a wet-wipe or something without the chance of him hurting himself in his struggles. He will find this extremely undignified and disrespectful considering his age, and he will let you know with furious warks. To be sure that you're doing it right, you should post a video so we can all laugh critique your buttwiping.

Also yes. This is exactly step by step the thing to do. Especially the video.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I got Mickey to stop barbering but I think he may be plucking under his wings which makes no sense to me because he has literally all day play time out of his cage and is lavished with attention and is on a good diet of fresh veggies and pellets, with the occasional treat of potatoes. :( stop it bird I love you

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Horn of Arby's posted:

I think my head is going to explode. So pardon my rant.

I'm trying to relocate my sweet 11 year old GCC to Hawaii with me. I have a job waiting for me on the other end and nothing pleases me more than the idea of her chowing down on papaya, mango, and enjoying the sun and warmth. Especially after 3 years of chilly Seattle. So I did my research, read up on the (happily short) quarantine, and started looking for cages to cover in mosquito netting.

Now, after pricing everything out and realizing I can't in good faith take her right away since e ddon't have a permanent place to live, it's gotten obscene! $800 for the vet, 450 to board her, 800 for the plane ticket, 225 to put her in the BAGGAGE compartment for Christ's sake, plus taxis and a 3 day off a new job. Not to mention the airline won't accept pets between April 15th and October 15th due to temperature. I love my girl and want to her to be happy and healthy but I've been unemployed for going on 10 months and I can't foot a 2000 dollar transfer bill for her right now. My heart is breaking.

I thought I had this all figured out. :-/

Picture for my ranting.

I live just north of Portland in Vancouver, and while I'll have to discuss it with the fiance, we may be able to take her in for a bit. PM me if you'd like.

EDIT: Delta lets you take them on the cabin for like $150 bucks without a note as long as the cage fits under the seat.

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 31, 2012

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Amaya posted:

Hey guys, zomo and I are working on a little project... I thought you would like to see our protagonist!

That is simply amazing. :neckbeard:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

There's a parrot trainer around this area that has his birds fully flighted and lets them fly around his reserve at home. It scares the crap out of me to think about that.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

The Doctor posted:

Just turned around because I heard my cage shaking furiously...all I could see was three birds sitting quietly...and Cirrus vibrating slightly. On closer inspection he was flapping his wings so fast I couldn't see them moving.

Humming budgies :3:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

This is probably the cutest cockatiel video I've seen in a long while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGhVXgMoz4g

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Oh Jesus I think I might buy this book.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Amaya posted:

Guys, I think I'm buying another bird. This is like a sickness. On a whim we stopped at a pet store that was called like "Wet pets and friends" or something. I saw some bird cages in the window and figured it was worth a shot. Well, this guy is AWESOME. He buys from local breeders and all the babies are hand raised and sweet as hell. They have a pineapple conure that's two months old and sweet as pie. I was holding it for a really long time and it kept cooing and fluffing up its feathers for head scratches.

I really wanted the lady to get back to me about the plucking quaker but that's a huge pain in the rear end that wasn't working out at all. Someone convince me this is a bad idea? You know, even though I have enough cash to take care of it and enough time and two successful birds already....

(Finn will be pimping all the ladies like a Sir....)

Only if you name the new bird Jake.

Bassguitarhero, I'd love to see some of those pictures if you'd care to share.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Amaya posted:

If it's a girl we're naming her PB, if it's a boy his name will be Marshal Lee, obviously!!

These are also both acceptable. (get a new bird :neckbeard:)

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

DarkHorse posted:

Ohtori is the best bird, I'm always happy to see the little Froot Loop :3: (I may or may not have shared your pictures with my sister)

I shared them with her. She loved them.

Of course she also loves LABs tattoo.

And wants one of her own now :eng99:

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 12, 2015

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Amadeus prefers Top Gear, every time an engine roars he gets all big-eyed and trills back at it. :3:

Michaelangelo and Amadeus, separated at birth.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I get the fear. A lot of pet island forum subthreads have really terribly judgmental people who will jump down your throat and call you hitler for not using their preferred food brand. (I'm looking at you, house bunny thread :colbert: )

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Battle Pigeon posted:

Steve was preening, and ended up shrieking and hissing at his own rear end for a few minutes (the pain shriek, not the fear one) before taking off and flying as fast as he could to escape his behind. Every time he landed, he'd shriek again before taking off and flying around some more. The way he was yelling made me wonder if he'd broken a blood feather, but there was no visible blood and he was zooming around so much it was better to just wait and let him land rather than chase and stress him out. Eventually the longest tail feather fell out as he was flying, perfect and no blood or anything at all. It must have just felt weird. :wtc: Steve, just lightly pull on the drat thing next time.

Steve: The story of :derptiel:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Deadly Chlorine posted:

Oh my god that's adorable. :3:

I'm only speaking from the experience I have, cause I know sulphur crested cockatoos who will freak out whenever you turn them upside down. Maybe they just don't trust their owners enough yet, when they develop a bond the toos should be chill with it.

Oh my god I need to know if anyone has taught a cockatiel to lie on its back.

Edit: Oh my god, yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf0xeyowCWA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I had a cockatiel that just learned how to play dead on his own. I'd hold him in my hand on his back and say "be dead bird!" and he'd lay there, then beak my thumb and I'd say "dead birds don't bite!" and he'd move his head like "oh yeah!" and play dead. :3: seriously cute.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

GUYS I MAY BE ADOPTING A SUN CONURE I"M EXCITED :neckbeard:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

SaNChEzZ posted:

:frogon:

Get ready for a ton of bleeding ears and bites fun and excitement!

I couldn't hear you over the sound of this awesome bird.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Carbon Thief posted:

You aren't going to be able to sleep in over the sound of it either! :haw:

Who needs sleep anyway? :v:

SaNChEzZ posted:

Yayyyyy sun conure buddies! Is he/she nice?

So far he's very nice! We think we've settled on Jack for the name. Also this is happening.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Battle Pigeon posted:

D'awww. They're going to get on better than Ohtori and Steve ever did :v:

How old is he, what's his personality like?

So far he's smart and curious, but mostly gentle and nice. He knows when it's his bed time and insists we let him sleep when he's tired. Unlike a certain green cheek who will stay awake talking nonsense to himself for hours no matter when he's put to bed. :argh:

As far as age, the vet said he was a "young adult," so whatever that means in sun conure parlance. This morning, though, he started his peeping "hey attention please!" thing, but I ignored it and when he stopped and was quiet a bit I uncovered him. He kind of woke up (pulled his head out of his happy hut) looked at me as groggily as a bird can, and yawned. BIRD YOU DONT GET TO ACT TIRED.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I just spent a bunch on toys, then realized I had to spend even more so Mickey didn't feel left out. Oh burds.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I tried to get both birds on one hand but it was a disaster :saddowns:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

This is what I get for trying to play stompy robots at home.

And he likes to wark into the mic when I talk. :cripes:

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 5, 2013

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Enigma posted:

That kind of sounds like what my GCC, Bruce, would do whenever my mother-in-law, Cathy, visited. She's very boisterous, and I think he hates that. When she was over, he get to where I couldn't even handle him, but in kind of a nervous aggressive way. Like, while chomping on me, he never took his eye off her. My only guess is that maybe Jack is doing something similar? As Bruce got more and more used to seeing Cathy, he stopped being quite as bad. She still is at the bottom of his list of favorite people and he can be nippy, but he's not inconsolable anymore. If Jack isn't acclimated to Wizard, that may have something to do with it.

It's not this, because Jack pretty much seems to adore me. He heartwings at me and does his excited little high pitched squeak. If I leave the room and Jack is out on top of his cage he usually flies to me in that funny way conures do that seems like they suddenly forgot how to fly as soon as they take off.

Eejit posted:

Does he do this and then attempt to go to Wizard? Also, have you guys tried coordinating so that you can have Jack off of you when he comes in, and then trying to handle Jack after Wizard is already in the house? Also does he do this on sight or sound, and will he do this for anyone entering or does he just do it for Wizard?

Sorry your bird is playing the miserable Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde game, that's always annoying. As we learned from the League of Extraordinary Gentleman, you just need to hire Sean Connery to talk in a funny voice while Jekyll and Hyde become amiable headmates in Captain Nemo's white whale submarine and then team up to kill Nazis.

e: That reminds me, another question: can Wizard handle Jack?

He does try and go to me. If I come home and hes not on Wombat she can't handle him at all. As far as I can tell he doesn't do this if I'm on the phone with her. It seems to be only when I'm in the house.

And yes, I can handle him. I want them to get along because she loves that silly bird.

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 8, 2013

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 12, 2015

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

SaNChEzZ posted:

So we took Ritz to the vet on Saturday for his annual checkup, doc said he looks great and was very impressed with his dietary habits.

His CBC came back perfect and we're waiting on his blood panel which will be back tomorrow.

We also had the doc swab a dab of blood on the Zoogen DNA testymajig, so now we're also waiting on sex results. Its like Christmas as a little kid waiting for this stuff!

:ohdearsass:

:ohdearsass::ohdearsass: I'm here for you sun conure buddy

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

electricgoat posted:

I'm scared to even hold one because they just look so delicate and I don't want to hurt it. I'll gladly talk to a bird and feed it, but gosh, I'm scared of handling one and playing with one.

While your roommate being ill prepared is a terrible idea and is a pressing issue, I found this part of your post very :allears: because I had just been doing this:

And then he heard the camera noise:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

electricgoat posted:

I have told him that the breeder's goal is just to make little baby birdies and sell them, so they may not know what's best.

Coming from a breeder background, I can confidently say that this is, sadly, mostly true. Though if you find a good breeder they will be very very interested in the set up and not let a bird go to where it will die. especially if they have hand raised the little guys. If I were you I'd try and talk to the breeder and ask them the same questions you're asking us. If the breeder has even a clue, I'd express concern over the future habitat of the little guy in question. Maybe if the breeder turns him down, it'll occur to him he's a giant manbaby and not capable of correctly caring for an intelligent and fragile animal.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

A good way to possibly find out the breeder is to act like you're down with the whole thing and ask if he's got one picked out and to show you pictures. He may take you to the specific breeder's website.

In other news, Jack makes a weird hissing noise at random. Not like a cockatiel *hisshiss there's a scary thing hiss* but more like a releasing of air. What the hell bird? You're not a tire.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Official Bizness posted:

Off topic, but has anyone else been experiencing reception problems with their new iBird phones?

I opted for the signal booster. Worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Eejit posted:

I love that you guys can hold your birds near your face and not worry about losing half of it. It's really quite adorable.

To be fair I wouldn't dream of doing this with the cockatoo.