Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Just found this thread. Hello.

I do not own a bird, nor will I any time soon. I live at home, and we have a big aggressive Labrador already. Plus, I work full time. Can't take care of a bird.

So instead, I own one vicariously through the birds of others. This thread has been fun to skim through.

Max the cockatoo is my favorite, mainly because videos of him go up every day like clockwork. I love this loud and messy bird so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrlUEoO94WM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I've been doing some research, and I wanted to consult with the thread before I do anything dumb like buy a bird I can't actually take care of.

So, from my research, between blood feathers, night frights, hiding symptoms of illness until they can't (!), and their small size, birds like budgies and cockatiels would be a bad idea for someone with a full time job. Is this the case? Combine that with the relatively long lifespan of a bird compared to other pets, and it seems like it's not exactly a good idea for me to have a bird.

And yet I want a bird, but my biggest concern is that I've never had one before! Well, that's not going to change until I get a bird.

This whole line of questioning is pretty long-term anyhow. The only way I could get a bird would be if I moved out of my parent's house first, because they have said that I can't have a bird in this house (nor would I want to. We have a relatively animal-aggressive labrador living here already.)

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

learnincurve posted:

@Inglonias You have two options that I can see: 1. Get a pair of birds, budgies or lovebirds are a good option, they won't bond to you in the same way a single bird will but as you will be out all day it will help prevent boredom which is where feather plucking comes from. 2. finches, for the love of god not zebra finches the beeping will drive you mad, 4-6 finches in a decent sized cage are more interesting than TV. These happy little fellows last about 3 years and are ideal starter birds and if you put the work in they can be trained to perch on your finger and whatnot.

Right, but that doesn't solve the issue that I see of these birds being super fragile. Finches and budgies are about the same size. Forget a bird plucking itself, I'm scared that I'll go to bed or to work and come back to find the bird or birds dead because I wasn't there to help it.

On the other hand, that concern may be because I sped through this thread in the course of a work week, and I saw about half a dozen "My bird died and I don't know why" posts spread over three to four years.

Now that I type it out it sounds kind of silly. A bird that would require 24 hour care to avoid killing itself in its sleep would truly be the most :derptiel: of birds, and probably doesn't exist, right? (Obviously it happens sometimes, but not as often as I think)

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

This morning I went to a local aviary/bird shop (not a PetSmart, an actual local shop) and I hung out there for about an hour. All of the :derptiel:s had already been sold, so I wasn't allowed to handle them (for liability reasons, the store didn't let me interact with birds that had been sold to someone). These birds liked to grab my fingers with their beaks (I wouldn't call it biting, since none of them broke skin), but there was a caique in the back who liked to also grab my finger with their feet. I played with that one the most, I think. Had a little tickle fight with them. :kimchi:

I asked a bunch of questions about bird care to the employees and later during my visit, two different people came in who happened to have been the buyers of some of those birds. They let me interact with their birds a bit. They're keeping them at the store for now, I guess to socialize them before making a commitment to bringing them home.

I feel a lot better about my ability to keep one or two cockatiels healthy if I bought or adopted them than I did before I took this little trip. My living situation (parents say no birds in their house, and we have a large dog anyhow) and cost (I can't afford to rent an apartment by myself with my job, never mind own and care for a pet in one) still prevent me from buying a bird, but I did buy a handbook to caring for cockatiels. I also found a relatively close bird adoption center. They're having a class next weekend (they require anyone who wants to adopt to take one of these classes first) and I think I'll go. Not like I have much better to do.

Not posting pictures because I only took three. One was blurry, and the other two were of a pair of sulpher cockatoos that were second-hand. One had plucked all the feathers around their ears, and the other had plucked their chest so much that there was a wound there. I brought it up with the employees, and they said that they knew that already, and that it looked worse than it was. They apparently only do that in the summer, and it heals in winter.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Thanks for the kind words all. I was beating myself for canceling that Sunday appointment but before I even mentioned it to the vet she told me she was shocked how fast it happened and said what you guys said that if it was a kidney problem it wouldn't have made a difference.

I just feel awful for Archer. He knew her almost all of his life and he looks so lost. I still have Anais and the vet suggested they might be able to get along now but long term I don't know what to do.

I had plans to go away from Wednesday to Sunday for a friend's wedding. I'm keeping them because even if Archer is in a bad state I think I need some time away to calm down. I still have Archer and Charlie and Anaïs and things will be okay in the end. Even if I'll always miss the little cinnamon goofball that loved to try to eat my glasses. :yaycloud:

As someone who only recently started following the thread, I am very sorry for your loss. I hope your vacation helps you feel a little better.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

SPOOKILY A BIRD posted:

A brief sampling of ways that Amadeus has fallen asleep in my hand (apologies for bare knee in 2 - 4)

So cute.

Also, what kind of keyboard is that?

i poop fire posted:

Photographic proof that greys aren't born plotting your demise.

And now I'm dead. Dead from the cuteness. Thanks.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

It simply did not occur to me that a washable keyboard might be a good idea for someone who wants to have a flying thing that can also poop. I typically stick with mechanical keyboards, but if I got a bird, I might have to change that.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Tendai posted:

I moved him to the warmest corner of the house and while I don't have a heatlamp, I have a lamp trained on him, and turned the heat on in here. It's warm enough that he shouldn't be as fluffed up as he is, much less fluffed up and shivery. His folded wings and tail are kind of moving too, it looks like it's in time with his breathing as if he's panting. He doesn't look/sound abnormal though, breathing-wise.

I'm just trying to figure it out like I'm a vet because I don't do well with sitting impotently waiting for things to happen at times like this.

All my best to Judah. Good luck over the next few days.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I have a fancy Unicomp keyboard with buckling springs. Something tells me that it and a bird would not get along.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

For those crazies in the States, I know that things are a little insane. This video of a tiel just going around saying his name all day might help you.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I'm very glad that Taco is going to be okay. That bird, huh?

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

where the red fern gropes posted:

how do wild birds stay healthy?

They don't. You just don't see the sick ones because they get sick and die. Anyone in this thread knows just how fragile birds are, even when they're cared for as well as the birds in this thread. In the wild, their lifespan is much shorter than in captivity. Simple as that.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Shirec posted:

I returned Gracie this weekend. I thought it over, and the owners were super understanding. They even said that if things calm down, and she hasn't found a forever home yet, I can reach back out.
:smith:

If theres any doubt at all, its best to back down on this sort of thing.

I have never had a bird, nor do I plan to in the near future for that very reason.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Whoops my finger slipped and now this is my super scary desktop background at work how did this happen?

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

A two year old with feathers who has a pair of wire cutters attached to their face and who swallowed a malfunctioning alarm clock

How can it be malfunctioning if it goes off?

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Tendai posted:

Conures purr?!

Holy crap :kimchi:

Oh yeah, ravens seem to do that too!

https://twitter.com/ravenmaster1/status/828672878233141249

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Welp.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

where the red fern gropes posted:

just feed wild birds imo, bird cant bond with you if you arent there but wild ones will eventually start showing up regularly and they are pretty funny

Guys I think Gaston stole their computer and is trying to trick us.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I get the feeling that I'm next. Am I next?

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I had a lousy day yesterday, so I went down to a nearby bird store.

Of note was an unidentified african grey that has learned to mimic the sound of an office phone ringing. (Not sure which one it was, there were like, a dozen of them in a VERY large cage)

There was also a different african grey that let me give it head scritches, and some sort of amazon parrot that let me do the same.

Finally, there was a relatively loud dove. Made lots of pretty noises. I'm not in a position to get a bird right now, and won't be for some time, but if I ever do get one, my first bird will be a dove or pigeon. They seem to be much more durable and less destructive than any kind of parrot. Sure, they can't talk, but they also can't scream.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I think I might have a bird obsession/problem.

I went to see Neil Gaiman in Wolf Trap yesterday. He sort of plans his shows around index cards from the audience with questions and requests. My index card said, "What is your opinion on birds?" with the underline and everything.

Anyhow, near the end of the show, from a list of what he said were 600 questions, mine got picked. His response? "I think they are a good thing."

On the other hand, someone asked him to recite The Jabberwock and he did so from memory, so we're all strange humans, I think.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

Yoshi knows the word "Dinosaur" very well because of how often we, and him, say "I'm a dinosaur!" and he just looked at the television with extreme suspicion, with a look that said "Are you... talk at me, magic colorsoundbox?" when the Doctor Who episode I'm watching had the line "DINOSAURS... on a spaceship!" When I repeated it, he got puffy and excited and decided that, yes, the television was just saying hello.

I need audio footage of "I'm a dinosaur". Please.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

This is the BEST picture.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Battle Pigeon posted:

Sure is nice just hanging out looking pretty on my cage all by myself yup

Nope

NOPE

God dammit

uh

I take it those are angry birds fighting, not happy birds kissing?

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

GoldStandardConure posted:

taco found a hole in my shirt

"Found"

I'm sure. ;)

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Stopped at the aviary. Didn't buy anything.

I want that one... And that one... And this one...

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

Didn't toss out last month's bell peppers?

Also, while I was at the aviary, I saw a large green parrot of some variety had dropped some feathers on the ground, so I took them. They smell kinda dusty, but in a good way.

Is that weird? I think it's a little weird that I have a pair of feathers and I sniff them.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

1500 posted:

This is why I don't buy a lot of toys for Bonny.

https://i.imgur.com/IjSDw1A.gifv

Is there a way to make these smaller?

What kind of bird is that? (aside from a good one, which I figure is a given) I can see it's some kind of macaw, but beyond that I cannot tell.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Parrots may be cute, but pigeons and doves are always so dapper,

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

RoboRodent posted:

Hello, bird thread. I have a derpy tiel, a few years old, who I love to death. I am getting him a friend. I've been in touch with a local rescue person and I have made arrangements for another male cockatiel out there who will be ready for a forever home come the new year.

I am extremely nervous about this. New bird will have his own space, though I hope to house them together eventually. Please give me advice on how to not have two birds kill each other or, equally heart breaking, decide they like each other more than me.

I remembered a video I watched once, even though I don't have any birds myself. This is a video from a Montana-based animal rescue/education center about introducing parrots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsIWm6yY7Rw

Good luck.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Tsaedje posted:

The sounds antisemitic worst mispronunciation? Oh dear.

Definitely 'cake' for me

I pronounce it "Cai (Rhymes with "fly") - EEK"

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Birdo has stuff on his beak

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Rotten Cookies posted:

The crafts is mostly painting miniatures or normal painting. Every once in a couple months I'll solder something small, but I wouldn't keep the bird around for that. There's a dehumidifier down there that filters air so I would hope nothing nasty lingers around.

I should also say that the other 3 haven't been cockatiel owners before, but have been around them, so they know that they'll squawk loudly but I don't think they would know, for instance, what a bird can/can't eat.

Thanks for the responses

Paint throws up a bit of a red flag for me, actually. Depending on the type of paint, the fumes can be dangerous. I don't know much about paint beyond what I found in my quick Google search, however.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Lady Galaga posted:

Baby society finches! I went for a weekend trip and they turned from little bird fetus to little bird babies with growing feathers and everything

proud parent.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I am thrilled to have video proof that bird tongue works on touchscreens. I always suspected it, but never was able to prove it. Now I know.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Captain Log posted:

Are birds psychic?

Today, Serra started flock calling to my father like he had just got home. I poked my head out the door and didn’t see our car.

Sixty seconds later, my Dad pulls up.

This isn’t the first time that’s happened. Do parrots have sonic hearing?

I can imagine them hearing the car. What I have a harder time understanding is how Serra knew that the car belonged to your dad as opposed to being the pizza guy or something.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

It might be any of these things. I admit that I don't spend a lot of time with cars. My ability to determine what a car is by engine noise basically boils down to "truck size, car size, or bike size?"

Someone apply for a research grant. This sounds like Ig-Nobel prize territory to me. "Can cockatiels tell the difference between vehicles based on sound?"

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

...Yes? What about them? They're cuuute.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

On the off chance that this will help someone:

A cockatiel (presumably one with an owner that misses them) was found in Dallas yesterday, and their owner is yet to be found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

The best kind. Duh.