Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

Just a little chime in here, or squawk I guess.

Pemka and Beryl are in a nice dark room, with ex-roommate's left over furniture. Grumpy as all hell and I'm glad to know we've got nothing to worry with for them.

But hey, better to move them and not need to than need to and have not, no?

Have a pic of them from earlier today, as penance for the minor panic event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

Some real cuties in the thread lately :D

Sorry to be you know, that newbie account with newbie bird questions. Been poking around online and getting some really mixed information.

http://imgur.com/a/xf8Ze
Pemka has 1 to 3 sneezes every time she scratches at her face, and the inside of her nostrils were looking really red right after. It's faded after 5 minutes or so when I got these pics of her.

Is this just like, a derpatiel thing? Or should we be getting her looked at?

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Ashynn -- don't be afraid to ask questions! If you're concerned the answer is always "go to your vet!", but if it's just something she did for a couple minutes and then stopped, and isn't chronic/recurring, I don't think I'd be too concerned. Ama does that sometimes and I usually assume it's just because he has to sneeze and scratching his nose helps prompt it.

I was like 80% sure that was the case. Since it ONLY happens then. Looking around online got me a mix of "that's perfectly fine" and "OMG TAKE THEM TO THE VET YESTERDAY". Figured I'd ask some smartypants goons for input to be sure.

So here, have a photo from yesterday of me being interrupted while working. Beryl seems to love to poo poo on my monitor stand and eat my mic's screen while Pemka's more interested in sitting my my keyboardhand or shoulder like a good birb.

Tadhg Dall posted:

I took my budgie Peeps to get x-rayed today and it turns out he has a pretty large mass either on his liver or his spleen, so now I'm just in the waiting game until it becomes so big that it impacts him negatively. It's pretty crappy news but his behavior is still normal so I'm hoping I'll have some time left with him. He's only 5 :( The only upside is that I don't have to give him antibiotic shots anymore, which haven't done much except to teach him how to more effectively avoid being grabbed.

Time to offer millet sacrifices to the god of birbs for a slow-growing tumor I guess.
I am so so sorry. Did the song and dance with caner myself, dad's dealing with it now too. I hope the time left with Peeps is enjoyably, I'm sure you'll make them as happy for him as possible

Ashynn fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 1, 2017

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

Thought crosses my mind and some researching online isn't really helping to provide an answer.

Have people lost birds to neighboring apartments cooking with teflon? Would something like vapor sealing a room's door with tape and closing any central-air vents into it be enough to keep birds safe from it? How long do the fumes stay in the air and do they cling to clothes? Could you kill your bird by visiting family cooking with teflon and then coming home? It feels weird that I'm not finding answer answers to these sort of questions. Maybe I'm overthinking things?

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

Kenshin posted:

Way overthinking things.

Don't cook with a Teflon pan in the same room as your bird. Even if you do, the chance of a single exposure harming them is slim to none.

Huh, everything I was reading seemed to be saying cooking in the same house as the birds at all was a death sentence. Although I guess it's better to make people overly paranoid instead of too lax on that front.

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

Hey folks,

Pemka (our cockatiel) is ill. We're in the middle of calling vets and I've been shoved off to make a post instead.

She's been either having mucus-y vomit or dry heaving off and on. refused water or anything other than pellet/seeds. Not 100% sure what our bird got into, snagged some brisket off a plate we think. No wheezing or anything, just very clearly upset with her digestion.

Any suggestions? Again, already calling vets to find one open.

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

Morning update re: Pemka.

She spent a lot of the evening napping on my knee under my desk. Is currently chirping happily and gorging on seed mix as per usual mornings. And water, and daily toy mauling. No sign of vomiting or poop outside of norms.
As of right now seems 100% borb once more. Will continue to observe the darling.

Also,
pineapple conures and whitefaced cockatiels, best combo imo.

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

Pemka update: She's doing well. Vet saw no reason for an urgent visit, but would like to see her and Beryl for proper check ups and such. The usual. We've been meaning to do that anyway. New cage arrived in the mail too! So now Pem is safe from Beryl imposing on all her personal space. Hell she's even playing with that bell toy which she never did in the shared space! My left ear is full of happy cooing chirps

Beryl though. Beryl. you'll notice her cage is lacking a few toys. She drew blood while I was trying to get more in there so for now she can wait until DrakIris gets home. One person to keep her busy while the other works. My right ear is full of S C R E A M.

The internet is amazingly full of conflicting advice on how to deal with bite-drunk conures. And while DrakIris's pain tolerance is high, my poor little artist hands are easy prey to the Beryl menace. Any advice on training her out of it? She gets extremely defensive about her cage and all contents, even while I'm cleaning them. That would be understandable but she ALSO goes after my mic relentlessly if it's on my desk, my glasses if they're ever on my face, and recently she's discovered nipples on those warm pillows she sits on and that biting them gets amusing shrieks.

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Beryl's so pretty :swoon:

YESSSS more conures!

Semi-related I feel as though we have developed a number of regulars in this thread that lack bird crazy bling. I have a few spare gangtags that need homes, if people will tell me which style they'd prefer :)

ask and ye shall receive!

and videos even!
https://i.imgur.com/BAv7ZuG
https://i.imgur.com/f7K8zQV

also, while trying to post this:

also also, I volunteer myself as tribute, and promise to give that gangtag a good home, with lots of treats and love! (I really like theversion you've got on right now) :derptiel:

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

Testikles posted:

Conure boss fight final form

[LOUD SWOONING NOISES]
That is a drat pretty birdy right there

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

While it may not be Battle Pigeon's glorious baby, Beryl has younger siblings!

I provide you, adorable babies! ~3 months old!

also vid, ft: DrakIris finger
https://imgur.com/M54kJnA

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

My life here is just posting videos of my babies. But I hope you all enjoy them anyway

https://imgur.com/0tDWBDT

I need to learn to hold my phone sideways while doing this.

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

Oh hey. It's Pemka! She lives and so do I, I guess? hi!

Oldphone died, and these were the only shots I'd had saved off of it before then. Dumb, I know.

So have a newphone video of her! (I'm sorry I've fussed with trying to embed it and have it be fancy, but I have failed)
https://imgur.com/Ufhmktc

I'll try to get into being more active on here. Considering picked up a second cockatiel soonish. Mostly trying to find someone local who breeds them?

[edit]
https://imgur.com/I3jVIs8
Oh more 'just moved into the new place' content from oldphone.

Ashynn fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 7, 2019

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

Faerie Fortune posted:

so it turns out my idiot bird son is actually my idiot bird daughter! terra is indeed a girl! also incredibly soft and fluffy after her first moult

What a precious bean! A very magestic shot of our lovely lady :derptiel:

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

Bird crazies, I need your aid.

Notably, I am craving Second Bird, and not just because I wish to spoil Pemka with having a friend around for the rare times I have to leave home. What would you recommend to pair with a lady-tiel?

Thing is, I think she may just be constantly eggy? Against my many attempts to the contrary, she insists on doing the cooing, wing wiggle flirty dance thing. Current infactuaion seems to be the wall behind her cage or the top of the room's door, as you do I guess. I've tried shortening and changing her daylight time, dietary shifts (she just refuses to touch anything that isn't her kibble), cage rearrangements.... I dunno, I

Also, recently had the fun of her laying some eggs and then getting bored of them. They've been out for like a week now and she's back on the wall-flirting game.

So yeah, I'm open to ideas here folks.

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

well good to know my dumb little baby isn't alone. I've been doing the egg carton thing, well, as we go through egg cartons.

I was a little worried a pair of ladyteils might bicker, or I dunno sync up eggy times for extra grumpy bird hours?

Thank you for the input

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

mediaphage posted:

haha i just mean i started to feel bad not referring to a creature that exhibits so much agency as some kind of person. so now at home i try to use human instead of people. it's dumb because i'm the only person who knows what i'm saying. :shrug: so now we have human people food and snacks and birb people food and snacks.

transhumanism, a wonderful thing. Got to love having a 3 hour argument with a roommate over this in the past. Expanding 'human' to cover everything possessing sentience is such a loving weird thing to do in the face of personhood as a concept instead <_<
Anyway. Back to birds.

Ashynn posted:

well good to know my dumb little baby isn't alone.

Update, as this has been a day of me cleaning and leaving her in the cage.
Cage wall is a good side-flirt when she can't reach the actual wall. Gotta love hearing that cooing and oh hey, there's bird rear end just right up against the cage door.

about 80% joking here, but maybe I should get her a male just to inflict share the wonder of cockatiels with the community. (there's a local small petshop and any cockatiels bought there are are bred out of town.) I get it, I know, but geez Pemka, if you're going to be this horny.

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

Look what finally came in the mail!
Pemka seems to be Very Unimpressed with this so far. Perhaps she'll quit her new run of nesty behavior.

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

Captain Log posted:

Oh hooray! I'm glad it looks to be working!

Keep us updated. It would be great to know how the solution works for other Doofus Birbs. :derptiel:

less than 24 hours later, she has decided to leave a gift in her poo poo-corner of the cage.

Well. time to go make some more hardboiled egg for my idiot child

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah I figured she'd be dropping a new pile of eggs on me, the timing just seemed too perfect.

The good news is she doesn't seem at all interested in even trying to sit on this one though so that's an improvement.

Instead now she just wants to have every poop on my shoulder. ESPECIALLY the big ones.

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

Hey darlings, I know it's been... a while since my last post. Forums aren't really my thing.

Anyway, figured I'd see if there was input to be had.

https://i.imgur.com/kTrSB9q.mp4
(there is audio)

I've been doing the egg carton on the bottom of the cage thing, and been really ontop of keeping her on a 12-12 day night cycle. Not only has her cage been rearranged every time I clean it but the room itself has also recently been reorganized.

This bird will not stop being a horny monster. Hell even now after taking that video she's got her butt up against the wall and cooing (between hissing little charges at my hand while I type, it's a small desk)

She's been like this for 2 weeks now. Any ideas on how to get her to chill? I've done some research but not turning up anything I've not already tried.

Additionally, I've been wanting to get a second bird anyway, and my experiences with Beryl have rather put me off Conures. Another girltiel may just start having fights, but a boy, with Pemka like this all the time, is probably also a bad call.

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

Captain Log posted:

What's her age now?

Serra is coming up on four in a few months and still permanently horny. But it dropped off considerably once she got past the Terrible Twos.

She's actually nearing four as well, I think when we first got her and Beryl there'd been comments of her and Serra secretly being the same bird? It's been a while.

Well, guess it's good to know they're still mirroring each other?

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

Captain Log posted:

They could be related. I've managed to prevent any additional eggs with the egg crate method, but she is still...:checks notes: "Horny on main?" Is that right?

She also thinks she can turn my pajama pants into a nest with nothing but her anger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmbX0MVC6ZE&t=4s

my gods.
we have the same color bed sheets.

I'm horrified, hello mirror-existence me!

Yeah she's laid an egg directly into the egg cartons, and now is very upset about how she can't sit on it.

Fun times as she's also taken to attacking my tablet pen, hand, or any drink I put on my desk while working.

I love this bird but oh boy, this isn't what I needed in the middle of an unrelated depression dip.

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

Pemka has laid a second loving egg directly into the carton bottom of the cage. Now the 3rd not counting the one she laid on my desk in the middle of ttrpg time.

Making sure she's getting decent food, and following all the advice I can find in the thread for trying to counter this activity and gosh is she extra active lately.

Once again I find myself wondering if I should just get a male cockatiel for some singing and the kind of attention Pem is almost upsettingly horny for.

Birds, am I right?

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

Hey y'all it's me again with some Pemka news!

She is still being broody. Averaging about an egg a week now. So nice that she's slowed down?

Saw a vet a month ago, even being super eggy, she's apparently in the best health the vet's seen a bird in. So either the local bird expert sees very few birds or Pem's fine on the normal health front. I'll take it as the latter.

On vet advice, the bird's been getting far less light. 8 hours a day, trying to be strict about it. Less time out of the cage and ontop of rearranging her cage weekly I've now also rearranged the whole room to little effect. Basically any out of cage time now seems to be mostly her trying to find places to be broody, her usual fave seems to still be under my monitor. Can't change that without basically taking apart my work set up every day. But this means she charges and attack my hands quite often. She's broken skin recently.

I know people mentioned medications to deal with preventing the broody. The vet said we can't get them here? So that's out.

At this point I'm debating just having the bird completely isolated and gently caress I feel bad to even think about it.

Anyway there you go. Anyone got some help on this because I'm starting to feel like a really poo poo pet owner and I don't know what else to do.

Edit, because I know I've mentioned this before but it's something I keep coming back to:

She got like this after she stopped having a second bird she shared space with. Is a second bird (I dunno, the local store had some cute conures last time I peeked in) a possible solution to this?

Ashynn fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 4, 2021

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

RoboRodent posted:

Have you tried fake eggs at all? Not a perfect solution, but it works for some birds.

haven't been able to find any that aren't ludicrously expensive to ship here, but going to definitely try another look around. unsure if just saving a few of her old ones may be a weird stand in?

oh I'm just full of edits today!

looks like a local-ish place has finally restocked sometime in the last two weeks so gonna place an order!

Ashynn fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 4, 2021

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

Captain Log posted:

Have you heard about the egg crate method I stumbled onto? Haven't had an egg since I started doing it. I think.

been doing it for a year now, helped at first but doesn't seem to be doing much anymore

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

Captain Log posted:

This has been my quick fix - upturned coffee cup on the Suddenly Very Interesting Nest Spot. It's been able to discourage Serra when she gets determined.

But probably worth talking to your vet about it, too. The coffee cup method is a bandaid if your parrot is absolutely positively determined.

yeah, I've doing similar with med bottles, since they're smaller and fit into the space she keeps being Very Interested In. It takes her a while of concentrated effort to push/throw them out enough for her to squirm in again.

Fake eggs in hand, going to see if maybe giving some nesty space in her cage with the fakes is what will solve her attitude instead.

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

Youth Decay posted:

A play in one act: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqinGVUCzlU
throws mini arcade game off the sofa
"Doshita-no?" (What's wrong?)
[mini arcade game dies]
laughs like a madman

it still pleases me Hideaki Utsumi, the owner of this bird, also is the sound designer for Resident Evil 1 and 2, and the first Devil May Cry.

The laugh of his bird may actually be more famous now.

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

Pemka egg update.

It's been a week since I gave her 4 false eggs.

There are now 7 eggs.

She doesn't seem to be getting the message that she needs to chill on the laying?

Best I can do now is hope for her to get bored I guess (and wait for the vet to get back to me. Called in a few times now and keep getting "oh we'll get back to you.")

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

Youth Decay posted:

You might need to resort to a deslorelin (brand name Suprelorin) implant in combination with other measures. It should be possible for the vet to get it shipped to your country.

When I had asked the vet about the possibility of medication, she'd said it's not something they could get shipped but the 'why' wasn't a very clear answer.

She may just be deciding on a bigger clutch of eggs? I'm keeping an eye on her though. Basically everything on that list is stuff I've already been doing aside from a completely separate sleep cage. Current living arrangements make that a hard option to do I think. Definitely a good link to have all that info in one spot though!

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

Hey hi it's me again.

I only seem to come around with questions. Sorry, forums just... aren't great on my brain.

So for folks wanting an update, after weeks of getting jerked around by the vet never calling back and most fixes not seeming to work well for Pemka's egglaying. I just bought her a new cage with a properly fitted blanket. No more eggs. I guess enough light was getting through on the old one that it wasn't fully helping.

Two questions then, one I had before but with some further details:

The local pet store seems to be cycling out of ZuPreem, half the shelf space is now " Higgins inTune Harmony" At least at a quick glance through the bag's ingredient/nutrient list for their cockatiel feed looks about the same as the stuff I've been feeding her. Anyone have any opinions on it?

Second, back to wanting a cage mate for her. Said shop recently got some conures but they're a bit $$$ (compared to where I used to live) and the one docile one seems to have already been bought anyway. Doing some poking online and getting very mixed messages on budgies and other smaller birds. Which like, makes sense. Any suggestions other than maybe another ladytiel to help keep her company while I'm out of the house?

Thanks in advance and, again, I'm sorry I only turn up looking for answers.

edit:
here's a little cute tax, https://imgur.com/QnSJpoQ trying to timg it as a gifv doesn't seem to work so hey, if I'm just being an idiot please do tell me how to share it more cleanly.

Ashynn fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

Captain Log posted:

Are you talking about them living in the same cage?

Mixing a cockatiel with other breeds is a bad idea. Cockatiels have a tendency to get perpetually bullied by other birds. Parakeets will drive them up a wall if given the chance, while meaning nothing more than trying to be (horny) friends.

This will inevitably end up in the much larger cockatiel hurting the smaller bird.

I've successfully kept cockatiels and parakeets next door to each other for over fifteen years now. But if the male parakeet gets out with the cockatiel? It will literally proceed to try and place "I'm not touching you!" until it nearly gets killed.

Yeah would be same cage. I don't exactly have space for 2 full cages, unfortunately. We did have the problem of Beryl bullying Pemka when they shared a cage way back when.

So yeah basically trying to find another tiel she'd get along with is the only option there.