Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
H-hey I mean hello to all bird people and hello to the birds.

Is there a way to teach a cute banana (budgie) to make his business before he flies over to his desired location? He always excitedly flies over to be with me but then lays a steamy budgie bagel immediately.

E: 1 minute after making this post he flies on to my tablet and lays a parrot patty on my blankie. :nexus:

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

DarkHorse posted:

It’s weird though, most birds defecate before taking off. Why carry all that dead weight on takeoff? :shrug:

Haha oh dear, I'm afraid I do not know why. I really hope that I haven't accidentally created a pooping ritual with him! Maybe he thinks flying to me to poop is the Correct Thing because I always dispose of it immediately, which counts as a reaction on my part.

Luckily I can read him well enough that I usually know when he's gonna go. I'm gonna make him a parrot potty it seems and be attentive and see if I can pick up on his "pooping ask". He has other "asks" which consists of a small squeak with that high rising terminal ("squeak?")

As I write this he's hanging upside down off the tablet, hopping on to my hands, kissing my fingernails ("feels like a beak, must serenade!") being The Best Pest ever.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Subpar: (Nice Pearl avatar! Fitting for bird thread) Yeah, I think birds have a secret internal point system for making GBS threads out of acceptable range.

Patrovsky: What a beauty! I love white budgies. Angry Dove.

This is my Budge waking up this morning. Super blurry because he was moments from jumping on the phone. (Any camera device pointed at him is for perching)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I'm no birdnithologist but that seems like normal behavior. Maybe try physically placing your finger on her keel and then make the command to step up. Finger + Contact + Command = stepping up. Then try just finger + command = stepping up. It's how I trained my bird to hop up. Now if I stick my index finger out he'll usually fly to it even if he's in his cage or somewhere Cool and Forbidden on the other side of the room.

Is this normal behavior for a budgie? I'm not used to budgies having to sit on everything I hold.

I mean I know he likes this clip because it usually holds watercolor paper trimmings (unused of course) which he loves to chew apart or grab with his footies. He also loves chewing the rubber bit.

come on this stylus is way too thin!

"wait you're holding something"

*BOING*

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

It makes introducing him to new things very easy compared to budgies I've had when I was a kid. If there's a new toy I want to get him into, I just have to hold it, jingle it around etc. Doing that seems to bypass his "that's a NEW thing and I'm a bird and afraid!!" instinct.

Oh so I remembered a question I wanted to ask you guys. I live adjacent to a nice park and when it warms up I like to go out and read/look at ducks. I'd like to bring my budgie with me because I think being outside is enriching and the sun is necessary for birds. Is this a good idea or not recommended? What are some good travel cages for this purpose? Will I look like a freak carrying a little bird to the park?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

That's true and yet another instance of thinking since something seems nice, doesn't make it so. I had a rosey mental image of the little birdy happily sitting in his little cage, getting sleepy to the sound of rustling leaves and from the warm dappled sunlight from the 'bove. In reality he'd probably be freaking out. I usually sit far away from other doot traffic. There is a nice log in the bushes right in front of the pond. If you're quiet the baby ducks get super close to you.

I guess if I have to take him outside, our little patio will suffice!

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 18, 2018

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

My budgie has reached that stage in being a bird in which he must selectively remove and toss around my paintbrushes from their jar.

E: oh dear god! My gerber daisies!

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 21, 2018

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Budgie had to go have a small wing clip done because he'll be staying with someone else for three weeks in April.

He was so upset yesterday afterwards that he wouldn't step up without pecking my finger each time and was generally really sulky until I showed him his favorite bell and he immediately started bobbing and singing. :3

That particular bell overrides whatever stinky mood he's in.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

*sniff sniff*

smells nice time to wreck these

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

My budgie gets really turned on by my thumb nails. :(

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

RoboRodent posted:

My tiel has been attempting to seduce my toes for a year now. Fortunately, he only humps a certain perch in his cage.

My thumbs (although he has a small bell that gets him randy each time) are the only things he tries to mate with. It's amazing how persistent he is. How I wish he would move on.

*sees thumb* *squeaks* *pecks thumbnail 100 times in one millisecond* *bob bob* *run side to side while bobbing* *peckpeckpeck*

iRend posted:

A PHONE

So it really is a universal thing

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I just discovered the slo mo feature

E: moments before the bird noticed phone and was forced to perch

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 27, 2018

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

This thread makes me feel like I need a cockatiel in the future, yours are so cute. I also need more budgies.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Assuming budgies are generally interchangeable. It definitely wouldn't die being alone from 9-2. 9 is a good time for morning sunshine and squawks with friends so make sure he gets some morning attention.

You can definitely do the two cages thing but once the bird is comfortable with you he will not want to stay in his cage while you do stuff. My bird has made painting very difficult recently because of his insistence on being part pf the process (perches on my brush, gently swat him away, bird screams, flies onto mason jar with brushes, stares at me and does his "I'm going to be lovely" head twitches, picks up individual brushes and flings them, flies onto paper, tears up the corners, flaps onto paint palette, pecks at the paint cakes [BAD], I flail, bird screams, flies back to his cage door, sings, bobs head, repeats)

So yeah they definitely like to "be there".

As for the traffic stressing the bird, it really does depend. If people walking around and not fussing over him becomes routine he should adapt. My bird doesn't like it when I pop in and leave, he'll signal for me for a bit.

It's great they've all had tiels before. My two housemates don't care much for the bird and one of them wants me to get rid of him because he's home all day and feels personally attacked by a few minutes of tweeting now and then.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Model paints are pretty fumey.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

EVIL Gibson posted:

Most Warhammer/wamahordes/miniature fighting figure model painting these days is acrylic which gives up no fumes . If it's acrylic then the only fumes you would give up is spray priming which you always do outside.

Edit:. Unless you doing car / plane/ ship models then I am not sure but I do know people that paint those are very detailed oriented and will try to match the paint exactly to the point they would use the original paint if they could

Oh those kinds of models! I was assuming you were using the ones mentioned in your edit. My brother would do those kinds of models as a kid and those plus the turpentine = fume heaven

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

This summarizes budgies and why each and every one of you will go and get a budgie right now.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Does everyone else accurately hear which noises it's making and when?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Well the budgie figured out how to open hidden SD and SIM card slots on various devices and that pushing the cards with his beak removes the card and now I don't think he will ever forget how to do tnis nor will I ever leave him out, unsupervised, even if it's just to go pee.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Trying to get slo mo bath time footage. But I can’t sneak the phone near without the phone overriding his interest

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

And don’t be fooled by size. Even a budgie can reach 300 decibels when it feels like it (always)

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

How concerned should I be about a CFL bulb shattering in the same room as my budgie? To my understanding they don’t contain nearly as much mercury vapours as older fluorescent lights...

He doesn’t seem listless or anything. He’s dismantling my phone case as we speak.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Captain Log posted:

Open a window for five minutes and don’t worry.

The sad thing with birds is the things that kill them will act long before you have time to react.

That's so true. I remember my childhood neighbors having a budgie. This is a story itself. I was around nine years old when I got a phonecall one morning from our neighbors that there was "a parrot in the trees in the yard!" so here we are, a bunch of dumb kids trying to catch an escaped budgie with nothing but super soakers (Kids, right??). We knew it would be traumatic for this creature but we ALSO knew there was no way such a bird could survive Northern Ontario for too long on its lonesome. A few hours later we managed to find a cage from someone else, catch the bird and get it all ready. I remember the poor pissed off wet budgie wrapped in paper towel with only his head poking out. It didn't take him long to become our friend, though. The week later he was perching on us and being a general idiot. Unfortunately he passed away a few years later due to a Naphthalene bug killing thing one of their sisters opened up. He was singing happily that morning and dropped dead suddenly. :( Birds are at once hardy but also so delicate.

Everyone go pour one for Ford, he was a good bird. He was green. Had a beak. Was nice.

E: My budgie was perched on my hand while I wrote this out and has been asking me bird questions (tweet? Squeak?) the whole time

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 8, 2018

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Also this might sound bad but cherish the moments where your bird was once shy and quiet. Once that changes it's gone for good and the bird becomes velcro

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Had a dream I went to a pet store and bought six cockatiels and one bat. One of the cockatiels was on his back and kicking his legs and the owner said "he comes that way". I got them home and had an anxiety attack because I didn't have a cage for six birds and a bat. The end.

PS - my budgie has a tell before he's about to A) do something lovely B) get really hyper. He'll shake/twitch his head rapidly, it's not at all like head bobbing. Anyone know what that's about? It's cute but reminds me of the crimes he is capable of

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

redgubbinz posted:

One of our budgies would ping the cage bars with his beak and then shake his head at the noise, it was hilarious. He'd try different bars to make different notes too. However, if I pinged the bars, he'd shake his head and give me the stink eye for not playing the instrument properly.

Yeah, they need to build little xylophones or harps for birds.

E: my budgie is terrified of harps.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 15, 2018

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Finch: Beep *heavy breathing* beep.

I can't tell if that's floof or fatty deposits. I'm going to assume you can't get ahold of her and feel around because finch.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

No. No I do not.

So um. My budgie recently started this thing where if I speak to him, he'll stop what he's doing and flies/walks up right to my mouth and preens my lips and it's super weird but cute.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Poor birds. :(

I accidentally left my keets cage open one night a few months ago. He must've been sleeping on the door or something because at three in the morning I was woken up to a stressed bird flying in the dark... He had a bunch of pin feathers coming in and the ceiling is that godawful jagged stucco. He was okay and I let him have his favorite bell to cheer him up (I have to hide this bell otherwise bc he loves it so much)

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Budgies latest trick involves perching on my nose and pecking my eyes.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Agreeable Employer posted:

For those that have budgies (or, heck, other birds), do yours smell nice?

I had some Déjà vu coming home today from a very light perfume on someone on the bus and it reminded me of how my budgies smelled when I had them in my teens.

It is like a very very light smell of watermelon - to me at least.

That's weird becaude lately by budgie has been getting right into my face and I noticed a weird sweet smell. I might nab him gently later and have a big huff, I'm sure he won't mind!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Budgie sitting on the edge of my cereal bowl, plucking special k out and eating just tiny bits before dropping the whole thing. Eying the milk suspiciously, please do not try to bathe in the milk.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

subpar anachronism posted:

it's weird, apparently only one of them got the memo. my little budgie boy is not feeling it yet.

Mine is feeling it. Mine is feeling something indeed.

Little twerp bit a hole in my thumb. He likes to pick at hard skin (it's gross, I know) but it's turning into a serious biting problem. I don't know how to get him to stop doing bad things. Gently swatting him away and saying "no" just makes him testier and causes him to attempt whatever fuckery he was doing with increased fervor. Ignoring/timeout is ineffective afaik, unless I'm too inconsistent. I find myself getting mad but I figure if I let a tiny bird make me go into savage monkey brain mode then I am not fit for society.

What should I do next time he gets into a bout of bad biting? Should I just redirect his attention with his bell or some straw/ paper to nibble on?

Also I made an art i call "happy budge, spooked budge)

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Kenshin posted:

Assuming he isn't flighted, put him on the ground and then ignore him for a few minutes.

Every time he bites you/picks at skin too hard, he goes on the ground and gets ignored. That's how to train him out of it.

He's flighted. He needs a proper wing clip. Banishing the bird to the floor seems nice right now. I'm going to relish that fantasy while my bird is gazing at me from his door with his hollow kakapo eyes.

He's been good since I was typing up my last post, though.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Taco. :(

Feeling misty-eyed. Feels like there's that pre-crying lump in my throat. Poor bird, good bird, happy bird.

Halloween Jack posted:

:tbear:

Bears are the worst! Glad they left your chickens alone. Have fun devising ways to spook them, get some strobe lights and airhorns. Watch those poo poo heads run.

My brothers all like "I like bears be nice" but I just really REALLY want to lob a balloon filled with hot sauce in a cheeky bear's face.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 9, 2018

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

DarkHorse posted:

gently caress You I’m A Bird

You just need to convince them the travel cage is the only place you don’t want them

When my budgie is in poo poo Bird Mode he will only do the opposite of what he is supposed to do.

Our relationship is strained once again. I let him have his favorite bell (jingle bell on a string) back and the past three days have just been budgie tetherball. I just don't exist when he has the bell. I only matter when he wants a kiss or when i grind weed

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Captain Log posted:

With parakeets, I feel like a docile female is a sick female. All the little ladies I've had have been parakeet rage personified. My father and my current female parakeet seem locked in this staring war most days where my father says, "That bird lives to hate things."

Our first budgie was female, she was a hoot. Yeah she went into rage mode pretty often but she was also super friendly and personable. She learned to open her cage by dive bombing the door from a perch up above. She would do this to come hang out on our shoulders.

Anyway, my Buddy has been really grouchy with me. I think it’s a triple whammy of spring hormones, his recent wing clip and moulting. He bites me if I reach into his cage and doesn’t come out on his own. He still steps up but not without pecking me first. I have him on a stand next to me and he’s fine. He’s got his white noise going and his favorite bell as well.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I think I asked this before but I really want my budgie to stop biting my fingers. It's not out of aggression, like when I piss him off when he wants to nap alone in his cage and he bites me, that's on me and I accept my barrage of pecks.

It's when he's hyper (which is almost always) and he comes to hang out with me. He'll land on my hands and phone but he has a bad habit of randomly biting the corners of my thumbs or the soft skin between the thumb and index.

Someone suggested putting him on the floor if he's clipped. The problem is when he's clipped he doesn't hang out voluntarily nearly as often and also I sincerely think he plucks his trimmed wing feathers (which stimulates new feather production?) because he's usually flighted a little over a month later. The floor doesn't work. I try gently tossing him away when he does it but I think that registers as "fun" in his little budgie head.

He bit me twice during the typing of this message. Right on a freshly peeled hangnail too.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

underage at the vape shop posted:

Have you tried giving him absolutely no reaction at all? If he gets worse while you're trying it, it means he enjoys the response and ignoring him will work with time

I posted about the time I did nothing, I sat there doing nothing while he tore at the lower right corner near my thumbnail until it bled and he was making his little adorable preening squeaks during. It was horrible.

I'm making him sound like a terror but he really isn't that bad, his bites now are more annoying than anything. I'll focus on forms of positive reinforcement for now, like he's on my hand now and not biting me so I'm making sure to speak happily to him.

He just really likes attention, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

greypearl posted:

I would suggest trying the opposite then, play more with his beak. Touch it, very gently hold it, and pull away if he gets rough. I do this with Pearl a lot, and it seems like she’s learned through the interaction where the line is. This sounds a little more like grooming behavior so I am not sure if the same strategy will work entirely, but maybe you’ll still get it across that if your hands are going away he needs to tone it down.

That sounds like an excellent idea!

At the moment he's playing nicely with his favorite bell that I have attached on a broken Ikea chair (no pointy bits, it's literally just bars). There's a hollow tube in the main shaft of the chair and he seems to be interested by the sound of his voice as he sings into it. Reminds me of Harley the Cockatoo and hip cup phone.