Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

I love wading through this thread from time to time, so many adorable and ridiculous birds. You know what it didn't have enough of though? Bigass goddamn cuddle monsters/digit removers! Thus, I introduce my own bitey whitey, Mookie:

He's 19 years old, acts like a grandpa, croons along to Sinatra, bumps his beak against my nose at every opportunity, and practically demands that I rub his foot through the bars of his cage. All I knew about him when I got him from Omar's was that he was given to the shop after age and illness made caring for him too difficult for his original owner, he was a plucker, and was skinny at 650g. Time, determination, and his own (generally) sweet disposition have helped him settle in well over the last year and a half, and has only cost me 8 stitches so far.

Favorite activities center around chilling and scritches, unless there's a game of tug-of-war to be had, or there's children to cuddle:

Favorite foods include french fries, grapes, bananas, my bloody digits, wooden furniture, whatever coffee cup I happen to be holding, and the odd hot wing. And hemp seeds during mating season. Lots and lots of hemp.

People have asked me if I want to get him a friend, since I seem to be the Cockatoo Whisperer.

Nah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Dreggon posted:

gastons friend

why are you so red

Like most cockatoos, it enjoys bathing in the blood of its enemies.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Burb is obviously broken - plate's not upended, no food in feathers, not a drop of finger blood to be seen.

Seriously though, she's super sweet, glad she's ok.

Happiest little dinosaur.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

"Mookie, I'm home!"
:barf:
"Missed you, too."

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

So how much of your face did he ultimately take off?

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

A highly fighty mighty bitey whitey.

Eejit posted:

Bitey whitey?

What about a cuddly tighty whitey?

I wish I could get Mookie to do something like this. The best I can get from him is "SCRITCHES NOW, PINK MONKEY." Then his whole head goes into feather duster mode.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Scarey face is the best drat thing I've seen all day.

Shirec posted:

Oh, that's good to know! I thought pinning meant alarm/fear.

I'm sure once I get my first good chomp, I won't be so worried about it, hahaha.

You'll get to know how she ticks eventually. Big birds tend to be easier to read, too, just takes time to get used to. Pinning right now probably indicates a combination of stress and interest. You have other birds, right? Same thing, time and patience usually wins out.

Stick training works well if you're worried about your fingers. Bites hurt, yeah, but they're survivable. Just keep potentially chompy birds away from your face:

E: Also everything in the post above this one

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 3, 2015

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Disco Salmon posted:

I am thinking Gaston, Destroyer of Things and Stuffs is probably behind the broken camera.....

Mookie was faster than I was once, and got ahold of my phone. Fucker punched a hole straight through it.

I guess what I'm saying is please film every attempt at putting a tiny bowler on him.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Hat report: tried putting half a walnut on Mookie's head before going to work tonight. He was surprisingly amenable to the experience, if befuddled. Gonna have to go spelunking through the girls' room and steal one of their doll hats.

The girls, incidentally, have spent the entire week trying to teach the bird to say "waffles", for reasons that I'm pretty sure are beyond any of us.

schnickety scribe posted:

This is making me laugh, and I don't know why. Maybe because it looks like he's waiting for something, possibly the bus.

That's what it was, I couldn't figure out why I kept laughing at this.

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Sep 11, 2015

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Trebuchet King posted:

If they watch Cartoon Network I'm pretty sure that's a thing from that new Teen Titans show.

Well, newer. I have no idea when it started running.

(I watch a lot of cartoons with Connie. Also, Gordon Ramsay.)

Is that it? That's probably it. Could be worse, I guess. If I had to pick something to be bellowed accross the house at 6:00 in the morning, WAFFLES is way better than PIKACHU I CHOOSE YOU or DO YOU WANNA BUILD A SNOWMAN :byodood:

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Mirthless posted:

Bird fair came back through Tulsa, and we were in the right place to get started, so we finally took the plunge and got a bird!

Car ride home, only picture with good lighting, sorry, Android phone with a bad camera :(

We're not really decided on a name yet. We name all of our pets after breakfast food, it's hard to not go for the immediate egg pun

Skillet. Dunno why.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Mirthless posted:

welp, skillet was under consideration when I made the thread and this just confirms it, obvious best name choice and this is probably what we're going with

Hooray, I'm being helpful! :zoid:

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Are macaws known for being derpy? I was talking to one in a cage at the pet store and he kept trying to climb on the roof of his cage and not being able to do it and hanging by his beak.

I didn't realise just how massive they are, bigger than any of the cockatoos I've been near recently.

Super doofy, yeah. And huge. Everybody forgets about loud, though. I was playing with one that got annoyed that I wouldn't let his bitey rear end on my arm so he could better chew off my buttons/face, so he bellowed at the side of my head from about two feet away. Loudest loving thing I've ever heard in my life, and that includes modern artillery up close.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Amadeus sometimes says "take your poop" when we're in the bathroom :saddowns:

Mookie will occasionally announce to the world "Gotta piss!" when I leave the living room. Which is, admittedly, entirely my fault.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

I left the room for one minute and that was all it took for Bobby to go from terrified of the coffee cup to drinking from it, do I need to be worried/take him to a vet?

Nah. Like pretty much everything else Not Good for Birds, it takes more than a few beakfuls to do anything at all unless you're lacing your coffee with strychnine.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Yep, buzzed birb. Smaller critter = higher metabolism = quicker onset = shorter halflife, so if he didn't OD on caffeine within about 30 minutes of consumption, he's in the clear. His poop might be watery and more frequent this morning due to the diuretic effect; don't freak out, just make sure he has access to water and something to support lost electrolytes, like fresh fruit or veggies.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

That thread title! I'll never get tired of the ongoing saga of Ohtori and Steve.

Eejit posted:

Spend more time around cockatoos before you do. They need literal hours of socialization per day and still yell most days.

They can be good birds (mine is) but they have very big needs.

Seriously. I lucked out and got one that was basically a sweet old man, but as a whole they have huge personalities, and need a fair amount of interaction and physical contact. The cockatoo videos on YouTube are pretty representative of what you'll get.

Also, bitey whitey bites aren't even in the same galaxy as conure bites. See my post a few pages back. Fair warning.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Dreggon posted:

im not a loving pussy btichg

But you are being outwitted by cockatoos. Twice.

Edit: Oh god how do I keep ending up at the top of the page here have a parrot

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Sep 24, 2015

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Just gotta use the right bait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kpj2FAlZFU

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

What the hell is bumping my leg?

Oh. Morning Mookie.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Tendai posted:

"Uh... hey buddy... I brought you this..." :3: drat I wish I knew someone who owned a cockatoo I could go visit and play with and cuddle with and give back when they start acting like a jerk parrot.

Less a timid bump, more forceful thwacking against my leg until I paid attention. Next step would have been an eventual mounting of the couch so he could pop me in the face with it.

It's funny, most people are scared to be anywhere near his business end, but he's just so excited to be your friend:

(I know how he looks; between the super dry climate, his plucking scars, and assorted stages of molt, he tends to look a bit... disheveled)

Battle Pigeon posted:

You love and pet that bird right now

Tug of war, wrestling, a little fetch, beak bumps, kisses, a handful of nuts, and many scritches were had immediately after that photo was posted. Sleepy birb now.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Just found out that I'm going to have to board Mookie for a freaking year while I get sent overseas. The bright side is that it'll be a place where he gets plenty of socialization and attention. Man, I'm all bummed now.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Dear god

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Dreggon posted:

the other contender for Gaston's name was Caesar

Don Corleone.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

I see nothing amiss here.

Edit: DREGGON I HAVE AN IDEA

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Oct 17, 2015

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Dreggon posted:

why would you voluntarily do this

Because my house was entirely too clean and peaceful prior.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

I used to work at a printing press! The ink is non toxic, unless eaten in incredible quantities. Like, buckets worth.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Turns out the friends I'm staying with are a couple of miles from Omar's. Gonna go bother some baby birds tomorrow

Which one? Girls and I will also be harassing birds today.

Antibiotics and a cone feat dumbass receptionist who reckoned it wasn't bothering him much/wouldn't make it an emergency.

Boo. How's birb holding up?

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Smart cat.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Agent355 posted:

A pipe dream of mine is to harness train a large parrot and take them for walks. I can only imagine how much an intelligent pet like a bird would enjoy going on a hike or something. Maybe I'm projecting.

Can't speak for all birds, but Mookie will flip his poo poo if he spots a hawk. Crowds of people, generally fine. So, maybe less nature trails, more downtown strolls?

Mookie considered Bonny for a few seconds, then went back to chewing on his teacup. I, however, would love to see more of the technicolor cuddle monster.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Love the iridescent colors, looks like Bonny crash landed in a paint store. Beautiful birb.

On cage talk, I keep meaning to ask: Eejit, what cage is that, that Teeka lives in? It looks... beefy.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Went to Omar's for some pellets and toys, came out an hour and a half later after touching all the birbs. Who wants a photo dump?

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Eejit posted:

Ahhhh what an amazingly gorgeous girl! I am in love :swoon:

Yeah, she's my store girlfriend, absolute velcro as soon as I walk in and all huffy if I put her down.

Sekkira posted:

Yeah, that's just a beak over the finger and a firm but gentle squeeze.

Dreggon posted:

on the tendon

For real, I'm glad they're inclined toward sweet and curious, because that beak is scary sharp.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Frogmanv2 posted:

And rhino/elephant horns/tusks. And scales on some snakes and fish I think.

And whale baleen plates, porcupine quills, and human hair!

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Mookie, I don't know what horrors you've endured in the past, but I promise clipping my own toenails is nothing to flip poo poo about. Spaz.

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I don't know why but cockatoos kinda scare me while macaws just seem like doofuses

I always got the sense that cockatoos are more calculating and deliberate, versus a macaw's "everything is awesome let's play" perpetually in the moment general attitude. Or maybe it's the crest, very intimidating.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

A girl and her birb:

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Well, Mookie managed to hulk some bars off his cage. So far, he seems content to just jam all his toys through the gaps, but they're definitely big enough to stick his giant head through. I can't find the post about it, does anyone remember the recommended cages for big birbs?

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

blackflare posted:

What did everyone's birds get from santa this year??

An entire bowl of pine nuts. I don't even know how to describe that degree of puzzled joy.

Dreggon posted:

i wish the birds werent scared of me i dont do anything to them

Someday, my friend, you'll have your Disney/Hitchcock moment. Someday.

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 26, 2015

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Must be a vacuum running nearby

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Eejit posted:

It's one thing to see when it's about to chomp you. You can brace and take it. It's entirely another when you and the bird have fallen asleep, he loses his balance because bird, and sinks three tines half an inch into your flesh to not fall over.

Or into your shoulder because he woke up first and decided he liked the color of your shirt.

Or into your ankle when you weren't looking because you had the gall to read while he was napping.

Angry tin snips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Battle Pigeon posted:

Anyone have a Grey/Amazon/cockatoo/similar sized bird that would wear hats? Circumference about 12cm each

I can usually convince Mookie to wear half a walnut like a bowler derby, but I can't guarantee he'd be cool with anything snug.

To be honest, I'd rather see Teeka the Puddle in a dinosaur hat. Or Mindo in a beenie, now that I think about it.