Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Birds :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

We were at the vet for Scout again today and they were housing about 4 African Greys. One of them would climb up to the top of his cage and then say "Helicopter" :3

There are always a bunch of Greys there when we go in. One of them had the best name for a bird ever - "Preposterous"

Talk me out of an African Grey. Tell me they eat babies or something.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Yeah I would go for a rescue bird. Our previous bird experience is 4 finches and now our GCC.

Approximately how many babies do they eat per day though?

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I can deal with half a baby. They have a kitten upstairs. How many half babies are in a toddler?

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Had people over for dinner last night and instructed them not to acknowledge Scout as we're trying to train her not to perceive guests as predators. Went pretty well. Their 2 y.o. son was interested in her for a bit and she was a little defensive, but as long as we left her alone she was OK.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Pile of Kittens posted:

We got a call back from the vet. The culture came back clean, but the blood chemistry levels were all wonky in a way that indicated fatty liver disease. This is quite uncommon in young birds, apparently, so we'll be going back in for more testing next week. It won't kill her right now, so I'm not worried, just a bit exasperated with whoever was in charge of breeding and diet that resulted in a 1.5 year old conure with fatty liver disease.

In conclusion, here is Novolo trying to eat my boyfriend's glasses while he takes a nap.

I'm sorry to hear about her health problems, but I showed my wife your picture and said "See! It's not just Scout who likes glasses!"

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Scout makes a noise like "bbbbrrrrrrrrrrr... bbbbrrrrrrrr" when she is sleeping. We call it snoring and it is adorable.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

How much would you sell this for? I don't have platinum but I can be reached through mikerock 777 at hot male dot com.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

The vet says that Scout either has The Clap or TB. Both of them treatable but will take a bit of time.

Scout, what have you been doing at night? <:mad:>

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

We suspect it is a pre-existing condition that she had before we got her. We thought what she was suffering from was a respiratory infection, and might have been part of it initially, but her treatment for that has made her better but exposed the underlying problem: her promiscuity. Upside is she LOVES her medicine and gets excited when she sees the medicine bottle.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Why does Scout get really mad when she sees us cleaning up her poops? If she is able to she will attack us while we wipe them up.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I am obviously too pedestrian to appreciate modern art.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

This morning I was laying in bed with Scout. I had my hand under the sheet and she crawled between the sheet and the comforter and would nibble my fingers a bit and then just sat there going "Brrrrr Brrrrrr Brrrrr Brrrrr"

I took this with my phone, sorry for the quality - she was too close and I didn't want to disturb her. You'll have to turn it up to hear her, but she was like this for almost 10 minutes. Birds :3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt72avk-XLg

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

We're sending 6 of Scout's feathers. 2 each of the red tail feathers, green body feathers and blue flight feathers.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Kenshin posted:

Ohh, good thing we collect Zippy's feathers.

I'm a bit worried about them surviving intact in an envelope, though.

I taped them to a piece of cardboard and after inserting that into the envelope, stapled the envelope closed around the sides of the cardboard so it wouldn't move around.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Merry Christmas have a bird :3

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I was skyping with my Uncle in North Queensland and he has a Dusky Lory!

AUSTRALIA!

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Scout is going to make me go deaf. She picked up a screeching habit from (I think) the African Greys that were boarding at the same time she was. She didn't do this before but now she has taken to peeping really loudly and sometimes she does it on my shoulder. Will she grow out of this or will we have to train it out of her?

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

This bird is plotting the best way to poo poo on you.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Today Scout did her morning turd when I took her out of her cage. It looked a little small but I didn't think too much of it. Our morning routine is such that I get her up and we go back to bed while she preens herself nuzzled into my chin/neck for about half an hour while I snooze and give her scritches. Well five minutes into our daily routine she decides to take the other half of her morning poop right onto my pillow.

Thanks birdie.

Yesterday was laundry day.

Birds are jerks and they know it.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Kenshin posted:

Zippy has a problem with paper towels and cloth in general, but she especially hates socks. Especially black socks.

We have no idea why. Even from across the room, if someone is holding or waving (and, unfortunately, sometimes WEARING) black socks she will go into parrot attack mode against those socks.

Scout will freak the gently caress out when my wife brings out her orange exercise ball inflator. No idea why as it doesn't come out very much at all, but when she sees it it's like Satan himself just entered the room. Skwaking, manic flapping, random flying etc.

Edit: Also purple sweaters.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

They're still going to poo poo all over everything you own because that is how it is.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I am pretty sure that Scout doesn't really understand that she can fly. She does it when she gets startled but has yet to start really flying just because she wants to. She'll sit and wark at us to go get her and move her somewhere (usually to us) instead of just flying to us.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

When Scout does the stretches on both sides there is a turd coming up!

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Scout helping me read HMS Surprise

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

We have started extending Scout's bedtime to about 10:00. Lights still go out at 8:30 but we hang out and cuddle with her. She has been going right to sleep since we started doing this.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Scout says "Peekaboo!" pretty well, especially when we actually play the game with her. She is also learning "Baby!" She mostly uses them to get our attention.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Get those full spectrum light bulbs if you`re concerned.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

We just put pellets in there one day instead of the regular food and went to work.

Came home to a clean food bowl.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Tries to remove a digit - fails - enters cuddle mode

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

My wife is an Artist

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Hahaha my wife is going to love it

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

This has been bugging me since I started posting in here, Battle Pigeon, but what the hell is Mort?

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Scout likes my wife's music: Beyonce, Lady Gaga, etc.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

What would you guys recommend for a bird friendly air purifier?

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

We were at the vet again today and another couple had brought in a beautiful and very well behaved macaw who spoke only Russian! Also the receptionist said that they had a budgie that would come in who only spoke Japanese. The two African Grey regulars were in and then another one came in whose name was Preposterous, which I think is about the best name for a bird.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/03/24/bc-sandhill-crane-prosthetic-leg.html

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I also just found out what "Chu" means.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Funka posted:

Hi, I'm a lurker and I hope you don't mind me posting here about this, but I was wondering if there are any London-area Bird Crazies looking for a new derp. I have a 1.5 year old female cockatiel and need to leave my home due to domestic violence. I have been emailing the RSPCA to find a temporary refuge, but I feel it would really be best for her to find her a stable and loving forever home where I know she will get the scratches and apples she needs. She's very gentle and derpy, and would probably LOVE to live in a home with other cockatiels. Sorry I don't have PMs but you can please email me at thedudbird at gmail dot com.

The derp:

Hey Funka, sorry I don't have any ideas on how to help but I wanted to say that it must be difficult giving up your bird friend to get into a safe environment for yourself but you're making the right choice for you and her. Hope everything works out for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Scout nibbles at our toes if she can get to them. It's annoying.