Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
Big picture app is unavailable in Australia? Link doesn't work for me.

Also the standard News app actually is really nice. Unfortunately you can't add or remove sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

4 Day Weekend posted:

Big picture app is unavailable in Australia? Link doesn't work for me.

Also the standard News app actually is really nice. Unfortunately you can't add or remove sources.

You can? Right click in the app and there is a sources button.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Is there a good DVR app that can replace Windows Media Center?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Is there a good DVR app that can replace Windows Media Center?

Check Engadget posts from today, Microsoft is giving Media Center away for free to W8 Pro owners

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Startacus posted:

You can? Right click in the app and there is a sources button.

How do you modify them?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Aatrek posted:

Check Engadget posts from today, Microsoft is giving Media Center away for free to W8 Pro owners

Yeah, I know. I have that, but it's not really been updated in a while, and I'm looking for something better and Metro themed.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

4 Day Weekend posted:

How do you modify them?

Touche.... (I'm retarded)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Food Network In the Kitchen - $1.99

Pretty cool app. Has Featured Recipes (currently Halloween), Recipe Collections, How-To Videos. You can search by chef or ingredient and filter it down further by difficulty or cook time. Has a favorites and shopping list feature. Also has a built in timer and unit converter if you feel like bringing your device into the kitchen with you. (Seems like it was made with that in mind since you can't copy & paste or share any of the stuff in the app)

http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/9947486a-78d4-4130-b4f3-7add2dc735f3

(Snap only works until you go to view a recipe then it slides out and pushes whatever you were looking at into snap)

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Yeah, I know. I have that, but it's not really been updated in a while, and I'm looking for something better and Metro themed.

I just wish they would make Windows RT be able to be set as a Media Extender. The only thing stopping me from getting a Surface is that I want to be able to use my networked tuner.

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 28, 2012

chedemefedeme
May 25, 2007

Until then I need your help
figuring out the logistics!
Wow. That I never thought of but would have been sick. Unfortunately windows rt may be a bit too powerful for them to permit that. Most of what is/isn't done with media center is by regulation and pressure from the cablecard standards body, and the fact that the content providers for cable tv are still horribly out of touch and paranoid people might, you know, be able actually use/enjoy their content in W way they don't have 1000% control over. Not that the tech isn't there to do it, they probably just don't want to permit it. WinRT may be powerful enough they worry about it being a vulnerability. That's why early on the once existent beta functionality to use a normal pc as a media center extender was axed, eternally ticking off every mce power user years down the line.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

GoatSeeGuy posted:

As a cable cutter, the Xbox SmartGlass intrigues me but everything I see just mentions purchased (I assume from the Xbox store) videos, does anyone know of you can add the media collection you have to stream to an Xbox?

Yeah, you can just start watching something in the built in video player and say "play to" and "xbox 360" and it will stream to that ala airplay. I've tested it out with my own stuff, I would assuming that Windows 8 can play back natively it can stream, but not sure.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Maneki Neko posted:

Yeah, you can just start watching something in the built in video player and say "play to" and "xbox 360" and it will stream to that ala airplay. I've tested it out with my own stuff, I would assuming that Windows 8 can play back natively it can stream, but not sure.

Right now I'm using Air Video Server and an iPad connected to my TV. Works great, but I'd like to use a remote so if the Xbox can do the same thing it would be worth switching.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Right now I'm using Air Video Server and an iPad connected to my TV. Works great, but I'd like to use a remote so if the Xbox can do the same thing it would be worth switching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVg7E8vYzu4

And buy one of these so that you can control the Xbox as well as TV stuff like volume.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox360/accessories/controllers/Xbox360MediaRemote

Though if you already have a universal remote it very likely works with the Xbox. Also I've assumed you mean stream stuff from a Windows machine.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

spidoman posted:

I just wish they would make Windows RT be able to be set as a Media Extender. The only thing stopping me from getting a Surface is that I want to be able to use my networked tuner.

Hold on. So if I have an Windows 8 HTPC with Windows Media Center, and a TV tunner (which I do), I can use an Xbox as a media extender, and have the XBox play the OTA TV from the HTPC? Also can it search and play from the OTA recordings?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Hold on. So if I have an Windows 8 HTPC with Windows Media Center, and a TV tunner (which I do), I can use an Xbox as a media extender, and have the XBox play the OTA TV from the HTPC? Also can it search and play from the OTA recordings?

Uh welcome to forever ago buddy. Yes, it basically is almost identical to the media center interface on the PC, I have a htpc stashed in my house and only an Xbox on every TV. Stuff records in one place and pipes out to each Xbox on demand. Better late than never! This is a derail I guess now.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

I love the big picture and want the app, but for the life of me i can't find it in the app store (I can find it on the site on chrome, but not in the store app). don't tell me there's some bullshit "sorry, you're in canada" crap?

EDIT: When i go to "view in store" via IE (I use chrome...) it just takes me to the default page :(

Guitarchitect fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 28, 2012

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Guitarchitect posted:

I love the big picture and want the app, but for the life of me i can't find it in the app store (I can find it on the site on chrome, but not in the store app). don't tell me there's some bullshit "sorry, you're in canada" crap?

EDIT: When i go to "view in store" via IE (I use chrome...) it just takes me to the default page :(
I think it's a US-only app for the time being. It's not in my European store either.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

OldPueblo posted:

Uh welcome to forever ago buddy. Yes, it basically is almost identical to the media center interface on the PC, I have a htpc stashed in my house and only an Xbox on every TV. Stuff records in one place and pipes out to each Xbox on demand. Better late than never! This is a derail I guess now.

But you can't watch live OTA TV on the Xbox, right? I've always known you can stream recordings, but live TV?

chedemefedeme
May 25, 2007

Until then I need your help
figuring out the logistics!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

But you can't watch live OTA TV on the Xbox, right? I've always known you can stream recordings, but live TV?

You can watch live tv. Even cablecard encrypted stuff. When sitting in my bedroom in front of the Xbox set as media center extender I can not tell I'm not on my full tv. The interface and every tv, live or recorded or guide, feature is identical.

As far as diy dvr goes, media center is the bomb, and Xbox is a sick way to go multi room with it. I literally own the bedroom Xbox for this use exclusively. Microsoft knows this and lets me configure the Xbox to boot directly into media center.

Edit: and to be roughly on topic, its a bummer they didn't improve media center much/any in windows 8. It isn't any worse, they just kindof left it be. I think they may be waiting to see if any iptv standards ever get out there, though.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

The Wikipedia app is pretty good!

http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/6b80bf54-1a31-4651-acce-59a5b5c2b7c8

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Jerk McJerkface posted:

How did you not know about this? :stare: There are huge buttons called Live TV and Guide

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

hitze posted:

How did you not know about this? :stare: There are huge buttons called Live TV and Guide

I don't have and XBox and have never used one as a Media Extender. I looked up online about it, and only found it mentioned that you can use the Xbox to playback recordings, but not watch live tv.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Do you guys know when the windows store updates with new apps? Is it a set day or do they put new apps as they approve them?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The developer portal says up to 4 hours between the signing phase and showing up on the store, so I'd say they're grouped and submitted every 4 hours in a bunch to the public store.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I don't have and XBox and have never used one as a Media Extender. I looked up online about it, and only found it mentioned that you can use the Xbox to playback recordings, but not watch live tv.

Just to wrap this up, with a standard card tuner you'll only be able to get the expanded basic cable stations. If you have a digital cable box your best bet is to go with cablecard so that you can also access all the subscription/HD channels. I rent a cablcecard for like $2 a month and then had to buy a device that accepts cablecard. Google it and stuff, but it really is an awesome overall design. I can record/watch two streams simultaneously of any cable contect anywhere in my house without a single cable HD box. You can then return your cable boxes and save a little monthly (I'm guessing).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It seems like some people are unable to hit the Try button in the app store. Considering my pay apps aren't games or easyware, I'm surprised that according to the reports around 2/3rd buy my apps immediately without trial.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Combat Pretzel posted:

It seems like some people are unable to hit the Try button in the app store. Considering my pay apps aren't games or easyware, I'm surprised that according to the reports around 2/3rd buy my apps immediately without trial.

I am going to buy your DOF app sometime soon. Do you have other apps in the works?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Heh, thanks!

Yeah, I've had them linked on the first page. They're all x86 currently, until I can test them on ARM. In case you're interested in the synthesizer, you might want to hold off, I've something better coming.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Windows Phone app has been added.

http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/0e0fbaf6-fd99-4046-b494-9ce469ae3009

quote:

Description

Your computer and your Windows Phone 8 work together seamlessly with the Windows Phone app so you always have your photos, videos, and music, and more where you want them.

Features

- Get your music, photos, and videos from your computer to your phone (and vice versa).
- Quickly share things from your phone with Windows 8 apps (like Photos, or Search). You don’t even have to open the Windows Phone app to move things around.
- Automatically save photos and videos you take with your phone to your PC.
- See at a glance how much space you’re using for each type of content, so it’s easy to make sure you never run out of room on your phone.
- Get to WindowsPhone.com to download apps, learn more about your phone, or find it if it’s lost.

- edit And Trello (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/bd4fa6c1-0994-4caa-b0e1-04eec135667b) was added.

Haven't tested it yet but it seems like it could be interesting.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 29, 2012

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

That's true. I never understood why people keep using these, tho. MP4 containers work well enough, and never devices do support them just fine. MKV will never be adopted and M2TS I don't even know what's good for except digital satellite stream ripping (I think).

I wanted to post that you may aswell just remux them to MP4, since neither MKV nor M2TS have any real value at this point, but then I remembered how horrible most tools are, and the whole transcoding bullshit sometimes involved. Especially hilarious, when it's easy as poo poo on commandline with ffmpeg.exe, even tho most tools are actually just a front-end to it (and a bunch of other tools).

For MKV containers at least, anime fansubbers use it a LOT. It's more flexible about what kind of video, audio, subtitle, and font pack files you pack into it. With the latter two, fansubbers can do some fancy stuff with subtitles all without having to burn it into the video. However, that means a simple remux or transcode won't work properly because you'll leave out the subtitles and there are few transcoding programs that can do it flawlessly.

Handbrake is the best program that I've used for transcoding anime and burning the subtitles into the video. It's still not perfect because some advanced formatting will not render properly into the video and even with an Intel Core i5-2500K overclocked to 3.7 GHz a 22 minute long 720p video still takes about 7 minutes. So, it takes a lot of time and hard drive space to transcode everything and Handbrake's queuing setup is somewhat cumbersome and slow to setup.

Although just MKV support on a 3rd-party video player alone won't help with watching anime since the video player will also need to be able to handle embedded fonts and advanced formatting. I've gone through numerous 3rd-party video players on Android that supports playing MKVs and none of them supported embedded fonts and advanced formatting. The best they did was just show the subtitles as plain text. Although there is VLC, the last time I dabbled with it it wasn't very stable to test its subtitle rendering capabilities.

On top of that, every fansubber encoder has switched to using Hi10p which improves video quality and reducing file size at the cost of breaking hardware-based decoding including GPU decoding and increasing the amount of power needed for software decoding. Considering that most modern ARM processors are in the similar league in processing as the Intel Atom and AMD E- and Z-series processors, 720p video with software decoding is going to be a crap shoot on Windows RT, Intel Atom-powered, and AMD Z-series-powered tablets.

Basically, if you want to watch anime on a tablet without having to dick around with transcoding, a Core i5 powered tablet is your best bet but you're stuck using a Windows 7 video player which isn't exactly finger friendly. I've tried transcoding for the past couple years first on my Windows phone and then my AMD Z-series-powered tablet and it was always a pain in the asss. I am completely done with it. However, the battery life is still a bit of an issue if I get a Core i5-powered tablet.

The faster fansubbing dies at the hands of licensing companies putting out a high quality streaming service that can undercut the quality and turnover rate from the live Japanese broadcast, the better. Plus, both the Japanese studio and the licensing company will get more money because no one less people will be pirating their poo poo. Crunchyroll almost has it down to a science but then you've old companies like FUNimations, Sentai (formerly ADV), and Viz that somehow gently caress it up by delaying the broadcast in upwards of a week. Sometimes more.

TL,DR version: fansubs :anime:

PS: This ended up being more bitchy (and longer) than I intended. If anyone takes offense to anything other than that fansubs are a pain in the rear end to watch on anything other than a Windows or OSX desktop or laptop, don't go too out of your way to refute those other statements.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Sporadic posted:

Windows Phone app has been added.

Now just need Windows Phone 8 to come out. :)

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Factor Mystic posted:

Drag down from the top and drag it to the other monitor. With the keyboard, Win+PgUp/PgDn. If you are asking if you can have a metro app up on monitor #2 and the start screen or another metro app up on monitor #1 at the same time: nope.

This is a real bummer. I've got the HDMI connected to the TV in my hotel room, and I would really like to show the Videos app output to the TV while the rest of the metro interface is still on the tablet.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Edward IV posted:

For MKV containers at least, anime fansubbers use it a LOT. It's more flexible about what kind of video, audio, subtitle, and font pack files you pack into it. With the latter two, fansubbers can do some fancy stuff with subtitles all without having to burn it into the video. However, that means a simple remux or transcode won't work properly because you'll leave out the subtitles and there are few transcoding programs that can do it flawlessly.

Handbrake is the best program that I've used for transcoding anime and burning the subtitles into the video. It's still not perfect because some advanced formatting will not render properly into the video and even with an Intel Core i5-2500K overclocked to 3.7 GHz a 22 minute long 720p video still takes about 7 minutes. So, it takes a lot of time and hard drive space to transcode everything and Handbrake's queuing setup is somewhat cumbersome and slow to setup.

Although just MKV support on a 3rd-party video player alone won't help with watching anime since the video player will also need to be able to handle embedded fonts and advanced formatting. I've gone through numerous 3rd-party video players on Android that supports playing MKVs and none of them supported embedded fonts and advanced formatting. The best they did was just show the subtitles as plain text. Although there is VLC, the last time I dabbled with it it wasn't very stable to test its subtitle rendering capabilities.

On top of that, every fansubber encoder has switched to using Hi10p which improves video quality and reducing file size at the cost of breaking hardware-based decoding including GPU decoding and increasing the amount of power needed for software decoding. Considering that most modern ARM processors are in the similar league in processing as the Intel Atom and AMD E- and Z-series processors, 720p video with software decoding is going to be a crap shoot on Windows RT, Intel Atom-powered, and AMD Z-series-powered tablets.

Basically, if you want to watch anime on a tablet without having to dick around with transcoding, a Core i5 powered tablet is your best bet but you're stuck using a Windows 7 video player which isn't exactly finger friendly. I've tried transcoding for the past couple years first on my Windows phone and then my AMD Z-series-powered tablet and it was always a pain in the asss. I am completely done with it. However, the battery life is still a bit of an issue if I get a Core i5-powered tablet.

The faster fansubbing dies at the hands of licensing companies putting out a high quality streaming service that can undercut the quality and turnover rate from the live Japanese broadcast, the better. Plus, both the Japanese studio and the licensing company will get more money because no one less people will be pirating their poo poo. Crunchyroll almost has it down to a science but then you've old companies like FUNimations, Sentai (formerly ADV), and Viz that somehow gently caress it up by delaying the broadcast in upwards of a week. Sometimes more.

TL,DR version: fansubs :anime:

PS: This ended up being more bitchy (and longer) than I intended. If anyone takes offense to anything other than that fansubs are a pain in the rear end to watch on anything other than a Windows or OSX desktop or laptop, don't go too out of your way to refute those other statements.

I am taking offense to the fact that you seem to care a lot about animes.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

:stare: Yeah, let's not do anymore 7-paragraphs-about-anime derails.

The dev of IRC Explorer was super quick to respond to my inquiry about URL links, and they said it should be in the next update that should hit on Friday :toot:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The Windows Phone app is already getting a bad rap for not supporting WP7.x.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

The Windows Phone app is already getting a bad rap for not supporting WP7.x.

Are those complaints really surprising, considering that only WP7.x phones exist yet?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Has anyone created a Something Awful tile to be used as a website shortcut yet? Just the grenade with the trademark dark blue background or something.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

ufarn posted:

Has anyone created a Something Awful tile to be used as a website shortcut yet? Just the grenade with the trademark dark blue background or something.

Assuming I still have power, I'll make one tonight.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Is there really no way to force MetroTwit to use the desktop version of Chrome? Does it have to use the Metro one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Is there really no way to force MetroTwit to use the desktop version of Chrome? Does it have to use the Metro one?

I suspect this is because you are inside of Metro when you click the link. It probably sucks on the desktop but on the flip-side how annoyed would you be on a tablet if you were in metro and it took you to the desktop? Or it could ask you every time which would also be annoying. Can't win 'em all, why not just use a desktop twitter client if you want to be on the desktop? I imagine some of these growing pains will go away once things settle with additional options or something, we'll see.

• Locked thread