Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Windows 8 brings a new app store for apps that are totally not called Metro.

Basically they are full-screen (with option for split-screen, "Snap", where an app can take a 320px-wide sliver of your screen) apps that are simple, designed for touch but still supposedly work well on current PCs. They look like this:

Mostly sparse, boxy, minimalist design.

The "Snap" feature:

Generally the best apps take advantage of this, the worst just sort of show the name of the app and nothing else.

The style has gone through more name changes than you'd believe. Currently the style is "Microsoft Design Style" while the actual apps are "Windows 8 Apps"

Chat:

First of all, the most obvious:

Generally the same as the current Skype app for the desktop, with notifications, video calling, etc. Missing File Transfer and Group Calling, but otherwise identical.

IM+

IM+ is generally known for their mobile clients, I've used their iOS and Android clients and they are top-notch and generally are pretty good about updates. Supports a plethora of networks including AIM, Gchat, MSN, Skype, Facebook, and a bunch of other ones I haven't heard of. Plus, it's free!

Awful Forums Reader

Forums reader for SA. Made by fellow goon drasticactions. Thread here.

For Twitter, we currently have 2 whole options! So much choice! :v:

Tweetium

Tweetium is the best Twitter app that's currently out. Though multiple account and push support is $7/year, it's a really clean client that has good display of media in your timeline.

Twitter

The official Twitter client. :geno: Not much more to say.

Entertainment
Netflix

This is a really good Netflix app. Probably the best one I've used. Unfortunately doesn't support auto-playing the next episode in a TV series yet, but everything else is really well designed

Hulu Plus

I don't have Hulu Plus so I can't really comment on it, but it's there.

Xbox SmartGlass

Xbox SmartGlass. Provides a way of streaming videos to your Xbox 360, also lets you control your 360 from your PC/tablet. I don't own an Xbox 360 so I can't verify how well this works, but from everything I've read, it seems to work quite well.

TuneIn Radio
Radio for your tablet and/or PC! I've used TuneIn a couple of times, it supports background music and has a ton of radio stations.

Utilities/Other
Dropbox

It's Dropbox for Metro, what more can I say?

WeatherBug

A really great looking replacement for the default Weather app. Free, ad-supported.

Evernote

A decent note-taking client with cloud sync. What I'm writing this post in.

LastPass

I love Lastpass, and I'm glad they have an app. Probably better to use on a tablet where you don't have the browser extension, as it is a bit more unweildly than the regular desktop app for the vault. But it's there.

Kindle

Obligatory Kindle post. What can be said about Kindle?

Bookviser

For sideloading books not from Amazon.

Cocktail Flow

Drink recipes. Has tons of good word about it.

A couple of other suggestions from forums poster tk:

tk posted:

I'm going to pretend that this is the best thread for an app dump at the moment. Thought some people might be interested in some of non-obvious apps that I have been using:

• Clipboard (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/d12111fe-bfa8-4050-96c1-c6571e1f3230) - Share stuff to your clipboard. Used it to compile this list by sharing apps to it off my start screen. [ed note: This is really useful]
• Multimedia 8 (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/0260a0fc-38bb-45a6-aa2a-f2453766c5fc) - I find this more pleasing than the built in video app for playback of local content.
• Read it Better (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/f812b2f9-7ce5-4c87-ba0d-47194be4091c) - Read poo poo later (Readability client).

And a couple games:
• Joining Hands (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/15a32605-a29f-48cb-9e58-761d7d997522) - Pretty relaxing puzzle game.
• Totemo (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/09b4be4b-87bc-4cdd-ab66-7366b5d56310) - Very relaxing puzzle game. Except for the jerk whose terrible dialog you have to click past all the time.
• Wordament (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/9c10bc10-75bf-41e3-a26a-01aba908af85) - Maybe obvious, but I like it so much that I'm going to mention it anyways.

All of these should be compatible with x86, x64, and RT. I'll make note of any exceptions for future updates.

edit: Looking for the :siren: Settings :siren: on an app? Open the Settings Charm from the Charms Menu, or use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl-I.

Kazy fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

I kind of like it for dual monitor use, where Chrome or something else will take up an entire screen anyway. Also I can't seem to find a non-Metro IM client that isn't bloated trash.

And someone from the SH/SC thread recommended Modern Reader. It seems to work better than Readiculous, which hasn't been updating with my new items.]

Aatrek posted:

I can't find a way to pay for the ad-free version of MetroTwit.

Settings Charm > General Settings, it should give you the option in there.

Kazy fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 27, 2012

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Is there any way to get the "View in Store" option to show up in Chrome? I don't want to have to switch back to Firefox :(

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Dracon Wolf posted:

Anyone having issues with app updates? I've currently got 7 apps that have needed to be updated since last night (Games, Mail, News, Bing, Sports, Weather, and Maps). No matter what I do I can't get them to update. I try clicking install, nothing. I try clearing the list and doing them one by one, nothing. Everything else is working fine with the exception of those issues.

Install the latest Windows Update.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

keyframe posted:

Sorry I don't know how to link store url how do you do that?

Get the Clipboard app mentioned in the OP.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

keyframe posted:

Thank you.

If anybody is looking for a IRC app, I just tried this and it seems pretty good:

http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/en-US/app/irc-explorer/c210318f-2ec5-4ebf-ac55-87641b4a7733

I tried this out, but it doesn't convert links into URLs. Which seems like a really huge oversight to me.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

:stare: Yeah, let's not do anymore 7-paragraphs-about-anime derails.

The dev of IRC Explorer was super quick to respond to my inquiry about URL links, and they said it should be in the next update that should hit on Friday :toot:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Is there any way to get OblyTile to make a tile that will open things in Metro Chrome? I've got this on my start screen but it only opens in the desktop.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Rawrbomb posted:

There is an option in IE, to open items from other metro apps into desktop IE. Is that setting not there for chrome?

It is, you can hit the Settings key, and there should be an option to Pin to Start Screen

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

There's a third party Pocket client called Latermark that is out on the store. I've yet to give it a try, though it has pretty good reviews.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

Anyone having a problem with Netflix? My playback is perfectly fine - not jittery, buffers in decent quality, but there's a lovely popping noise whenever audio hits a certain level, so I think it's a clipping issue, but the issue only happens on my Asus Vivo Tab and not my desktop nor laptop.

Does it happen with headphones or external speakers? If not, congratulations! You have poo poo speakers.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Adding to the OP :v:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

IM+ at least has a "Rate and Review" in their settings charm. It's nice and out of the way, while also being visible any time settings need to be changed.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Has anyone found a good workaround for getting Chrome to launch Windows Store from the app pages? :(

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Dead Man Posting posted:

There are a few IRC apps up right now, by the way. I am using IRC Explorer (not sure how to link it here) since it seems the most promising and aesthetically pleasing.

Seconding IRC Explorer (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/c210318f-2ec5-4ebf-ac55-87641b4a7733).

It's really good, though it is a chore to switch between rooms on different servers. The creator seems to know this, though, so hopefully there will be a fix.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

keyframe posted:

You are full of poo poo.

It is more like %99.9 :smithicide:

Seriously, how hard could it be to at least put a "must have store icon" requirement? :psyduck: I mean it won't improve the quality of the apps, but at least it'll look like they're trying.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Is it me or did Chrome just phantom update with bigger touch targets in tab/menus?

I could have sworn that until today it's just been "Chrome but fullscreen"

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

robodex posted:

Keep in mind, every Chrome update is a phantom update.

I'm aware of the background updates, but I doublechecked the version numbers and they seemed mostly the same, and I'm not seeing it on any changelog.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Two weird apps appeared on my Start Screen out of no where. Logitech Camera Controller and HP Printer Control. I have NEVER installed these apps before and nor did I know they existed until today.

Logitech's app is pretty much useless and does nothing but link you to their site. I'm not sure why it even exists...

HP's app, I'm not sure about because the Store seems completely broken for me on my desktop but it works fine on my laptop. Maybe it's because I have the same account signed in twice? Who knows.

I think Windows will automatically install apps for some drivers. It installed a Canon app when I added my printer.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

It's definitely not just you. My Ativ's store isn't working right now either, I just get the spinny logo.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Is it me or is the Kindle app kind of awful? It takes about 30 seconds to a minute to render a page turn sometimes.

And I'm seeing less and less default icon [X] in the new app search, but it's still at least 1 out of every 20 that didn't bother to change it.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Are there any "Chrome to Phone" style apps yet? It seems like it'd be a really good use of the Share charm. Sometimes I come across a link on my tablet for something I want to install on my desktop, and I'd love to be able to do it by sharing with the charm, or vice-versa.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Dropbox is finally out!

Not a good desktop replacement as it doesn't do sync, but it does do the file picker right as well as have a good interface for tablets.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

I've been using this and it's really awesome.

Quick question: Is there an app that will let me stream my TV tuner (WinTV 950-Q) to my tablet from my desktop?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

This is a thread! :v:

Foursquare is getting an app as well as Facebook and Flipboard!. All of them are 100% official and not third-party commissioned by Microsoft like the old WP apps. They are supposedly coming "soon"

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

To get this thread back on track, I updated the OP! :toot:

...With 3 new apps. 2 replaced the twitter clients that were taken off the store, and I removed 2 other apps that weren't available anymore. :geno: The app store has grown so much in 2 years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

soapgish posted:

Drop Kindle, throw up Bookviser.

Added to the OP! Kept Kindle in case people prefer to buy from Amazon.

I've got $30 in Windows store credit from when they converted my Xbox points, but I've yet to find any decent paid apps that don't already own. :negative: Been trying to use more since my main laptop is a Surface Pro 3 now.

• Locked thread