Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

GoatSeeGuy posted:

As a cable cutter, the Xbox SmartGlass intrigues me but everything I see just mentions purchased (I assume from the Xbox store) videos, does anyone know of you can add the media collection you have to stream to an Xbox?

Unless I misunderstand you, there are a few ways to do this really both already built into the Xbox. Two easy ones are you can configure Media Center on your PC and set the Xbox to be an extender for it (even if you do nothing TV related), or you can just share out a folder on the network and browse to it via the Xbox media player. It's been that way for years and it's how I serve up all my videos/movies to our Xboxes. (Xboxi?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Right now I'm using Air Video Server and an iPad connected to my TV. Works great, but I'd like to use a remote so if the Xbox can do the same thing it would be worth switching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVg7E8vYzu4

And buy one of these so that you can control the Xbox as well as TV stuff like volume.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox360/accessories/controllers/Xbox360MediaRemote

Though if you already have a universal remote it very likely works with the Xbox. Also I've assumed you mean stream stuff from a Windows machine.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Hold on. So if I have an Windows 8 HTPC with Windows Media Center, and a TV tunner (which I do), I can use an Xbox as a media extender, and have the XBox play the OTA TV from the HTPC? Also can it search and play from the OTA recordings?

Uh welcome to forever ago buddy. Yes, it basically is almost identical to the media center interface on the PC, I have a htpc stashed in my house and only an Xbox on every TV. Stuff records in one place and pipes out to each Xbox on demand. Better late than never! This is a derail I guess now.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I don't have and XBox and have never used one as a Media Extender. I looked up online about it, and only found it mentioned that you can use the Xbox to playback recordings, but not watch live tv.

Just to wrap this up, with a standard card tuner you'll only be able to get the expanded basic cable stations. If you have a digital cable box your best bet is to go with cablecard so that you can also access all the subscription/HD channels. I rent a cablcecard for like $2 a month and then had to buy a device that accepts cablecard. Google it and stuff, but it really is an awesome overall design. I can record/watch two streams simultaneously of any cable contect anywhere in my house without a single cable HD box. You can then return your cable boxes and save a little monthly (I'm guessing).

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Is there really no way to force MetroTwit to use the desktop version of Chrome? Does it have to use the Metro one?

I suspect this is because you are inside of Metro when you click the link. It probably sucks on the desktop but on the flip-side how annoyed would you be on a tablet if you were in metro and it took you to the desktop? Or it could ask you every time which would also be annoying. Can't win 'em all, why not just use a desktop twitter client if you want to be on the desktop? I imagine some of these growing pains will go away once things settle with additional options or something, we'll see.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Makes sense, oh well :(

It's a bad workaround but there is the link to take you to desktop IE you can click every time.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

keyframe posted:

Thanks!

I had no idea that you access the settings for the apps through the settings charm.

Just to clarify, the settings charm is contextual as you now know and will generally be different for every app (including the desktop) assuming the developer decided to do something with it. However while in an app to get to the options for lack of a better word, that's a swipe up from the bottom. Once again not all developers code something into that. An example would be your e-mail account information is messed with via the settings charm, but the email app options would be a swipe-up. The swipe-up menu essentially exists to not clutter up the screen with dozens of buttons. Just the most commonly used go on screen and the swipe up is for less common tasks.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Visio viewer?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Aatrek posted:

Well, inline is best, really. But you can't tweet or reply from that window, as far as I can tell, so it's kind of useless.

Not necessarily, it takes a second to swish it to the larger portion of the screen, do some task, then swish it back to the smaller portion. It's pretty smoothly done in fact and considering the alternative on other tablets is a full stop to what you're doing, moving fully to another app, then back, I'd say it comes out ahead.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Chasiubao posted:

Speaking of People and the other associated apps, is there a way to mark all mail in an Inbox as read?

Ctrl-A (not joking)

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

I know this is traditionally where Windows devices have fallen short but are there any good audiobook players for Win8.1 metro? That's the last thing keeping me from switching from my Nexus 7 to my Dell V8P, a good audiobook app that allows me to do a sleep timer, always saves my place, etc. I know audible is there, but I want to use my own audiobook library I've built up over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

On a side note, holy poo poo is the store bad for Audiobook related searches. I know they want their app number counts up, but sifting 5000 audiobooks released as separate apps is a goddamn nightmare.

Yeah that's pretty much what made me give up searching the store. One company alone (Collected Classics LLC) has released 596 individual classics for $1.49 each. :mad:

• Locked thread