Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

You can make website shortcuts for the Start screen? May I ask as to how?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Aatrek posted:

Or by using that custom tile tool.

Hmm, I need to play with that more then.

Thanks!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is there a way to get the default News app back? I uninstalled it and can't seem to find it in the store.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thanks! Are all of MS's apps on that site? Apparently they're not in the store because I went through every part of the News section (and even searched 'News') and still didn't find it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

tk posted:

They should all be available in the store. Can't say why you had problems finding them.

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I think they are all on the store. If you have trouble finding them you can go to the "My apps" section and there is a drop down box for apps that aren't installed on your Surface.

Yeah, it's a pretty odd problem but I didn't know about the menu.

Thanks!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is there a way to have Nextgen Reader play podcasts from Google Reader or is there a better app for podcasts?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I still haven't found the Solitare app...

I thought it'd be included, but I guess not?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

kapinga posted:

It's not built in, but it should be really obvious in the store.

Just check the store though, and sadly, you're right, it's not available for ARM

:facepalm: Microsoft

I'm not on the Surface though. Maybe I need to go through the store more. I couldn't find the News app previously until someone pointed it out here...from the web-based store and not the app-based one.

Maybe the appb-based store doesn't show all the apps?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

kapinga posted:

Open the store, hit Win key + Q and type "microsoft solitaire" and it will be the first hit if you're on an Intel system.

I was just typing "Solitaire". I clearly need to learn this store more.

Thanks!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Has anyone figured out how to make the Messaging app stop constantly signing on? I went to settings, set it to not receive messages, and I still got them all day while I was out.

Also, it constantly signs me on when I don't want to be and there doesn't seem to be a way of stopping that except for completely deleting Messenger (which removes People, Calendar, and Mail too).

Using Skype's app doesn't work so well either as putting it in Snap doesn't really work as well as Messenger and I merged my MSN to Skype without knowing that it's impossible to unmerge (rendering my Skype login useless).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

robodex posted:

Settings charm -> Options -> Turn all messaging services off.

Otherwise, right click -> status -> invisible.

I did that but it turned the messaging services back on randomly and then set my status to visible.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

robodex posted:

Weird.

Is it a hotmail/windows live account? Are you logging into your webmail if so? It tends to sync your status across stuff like that so it could be logging into hotmail is setting you to active.

It's a Microsoft Account (I think that's Windows Live?) I don't use Hotmail though so I'm not sure what's going on.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

robodex posted:

I was all excited about the Metro Skype app today until I realized it hijacks my MSN/WLM messages as well, and it really, really sucks in 1/3 snap mode (doing anything aside from responding to a message you already have open causes it to pop back up to full-screen.)

I wouldn't be so cut up about the former if the latter didn't happen but it's kind of a hassle navigating conversations if you just want to use it in 1/3 mode.

The only way to fix both of these, I find, is to use the actual Skype installer from Skype.com.

I uninstalled the app, reinstalled the actual program onto the Desktop, then it worked fine. I'm even still able to use my Skype login but I'm not sure what it'd do if I used my Microsoft Account.

e: Logging into the Skype program with your Microsoft Account will combine Windows Live Messenger and Skype contacts yet again but you are able to reverse it by logging out and relogging in with your Skype information again.

Hopefully, Microsoft gets this sorted out as the list is horribly cluttered and confusing with them combined as there's no indication as to who is on what program until you click their name. This is true for both the app and the program.

e: After checking around, it seems it's actually pretty easy to differentiate the lists.

Click the drop down that says "All" and you can change it from Skype to Messenger to Facebook to Favorites. I could see this working much better than Windows Live Messenger but I hope they fix it this way for the Skype app.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 8, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Two weird apps appeared on my Start Screen out of no where. Logitech Camera Controller and HP Printer Control. I have NEVER installed these apps before and nor did I know they existed until today.

Logitech's app is pretty much useless and does nothing but link you to their site. I'm not sure why it even exists...

HP's app, I'm not sure about because the Store seems completely broken for me on my desktop but it works fine on my laptop. Maybe it's because I have the same account signed in twice? Who knows.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Kazy posted:

I think Windows will automatically install apps for some drivers. It installed a Canon app when I added my printer.

Werthog posted:

Device apps like these can be installed automatically. You'll see the same thing happen if you have a mobile broadband card, for instance; if your carrier has a Metro app, it'll be installed automatically.

Huh. That's kind of neat then. I wonder why the HP app took so long to show up since I've printed before. Also, I've used my camera before but ah well. Really weirded me out though at first.

Thanks for clearing it up though!

e: Yeah, I'm starting to think that the store is broken on my desktop. Is there a way to make it work again short of restarting everything?

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 18, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Startacus posted:

Maybe they just released the app?

Also, your store is broken in what way?

I'm not sure, I barely see the Start Screen anymore. They might've.

The Store refuses to load no matter what I do. I've left it on for like 10 minutes and it's still loading. I can close it and try again, same problem.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

chedemefedeme posted:

Store loading perfectly on my laptop and surface right now, so...problem in your world, not Microsoft's ;).

Any new/sweet apps lately? I'm itching to hear some more recommendations from folks on apps that enrich Win 8, specifically on tablets.

Yeah, it's working fine on my laptop here. Now sure what's happening but I'll figure it out.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Windows 9 is now Windows 10.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/30/6868695/microsoft-windows-10-announced-official

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I am a glutton for bleeding edge punishment.

The Windows 10 Technical Preview is out and I'm tossing it on my laptop. We'll see how that goes!

A friend of mine who did the same says it's working fine on his old laptop. It's basically Windows 7 with tiny bits of 8.

Microsoft is goin' backwards. haha

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Cerepol posted:

It's there D&D Next!

I'm kinda iffy on that idea though. I'd need to try it. I like 7 and I like 8 and don't feel like going back to 7.

The Verge has an interesting article that states how Windows 10 is worse for Microsoft than Windows 8 was because of how they've stripped out a lot of things in 10 that worked fine in 8 and 8.1 just because of complaints. They've literally just took 7 and changed it up with teeny bits of 8 instead of 8 with bits of 7 or whatever.

The article goes on to state that this could bite MS in the rear end because while Google and Apple are pushing ahead with new things in ChromeOS and OS X respectively, Microsoft is stuck catering to people complaining about them trying to move ahead and they'll end up stagnating in the tech world because of it.

I haven't tried 10 Preview yet as the ISO is still burning (found out my usual USB drive for poo poo like this is dying...joy) but my friend has stated that yes, it is pretty much Windows 7...Start Menu and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Lets ignore all the other usability and functional improvements that weren't the goddamn tiles. Gotta get moar klickz! I don't see how Apple or Google are pioneering and innovating new super awesome UI concepts.

Clickbait or not, I do kind of agree they're listening to whining people more than they are just trying to do their own thing. Considering how ChromeOS is making them nervous, I'd say they should just try to do new poo poo.

Eggnogium posted:

Link?

I haven't tried it yet but that criticism doesn't really register with me. What features from 8/8.1 have been removed? As far as I've seen from videos all the big ones are there, they've just changed the presentation. And while you could characterize the change as backwards by comparing it to Windows 7, you could just as well characterize it as forwards since it moves Windows closer to the current UIs of ChromeOS and OS X.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/30/6874413/windows-10-whats-old-is-new-again

I'm installing the preview now on my laptop that doesn't really get much use anyway outside of travel (even then, I just use my tablet).

What I really want to test it on is my desktop as that's where my work programs are and God knows those useless fucks won't actually test it themselves considering they still force us to Remote Desktop into a really crappy Windows XP machine...

Ah well.

Isn't Consumer Preview coming next January or something?

• Locked thread