Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I'd like to recommend PDF Touch as a great metro PDF reader. Its quick and got annotations, highlighting, boxes and freehand drawing.

I'll throw in Pepper Plate as well, it's a food planning app that lets you enter recipes (or cut and paste them in) then you can add these to menus or shopping lists where it automatically combines ingredients into a neatly organised list.

They're both pretty great.

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Google is end-of-lifeing caldav, so the only way to synchronize with Google Calendar is by using Googles own proprietary API. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Microsoft to do that implementation work, and don't know off-hand of anyone else who have either. Personally I just use an ical link to pull Google Calendar events into my Live Calendar, while just letting all my new events go on the Live calendar instead. Where gmail is irreplaceable for me I don't really have any strong feelings either way on Google/Live calendar.

Except the online Hotmail calendar is ugly as hell, there's been talk about them 'outlooking' it for ages but nothing seems to have happened.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Haha I claim full responsibility! Although I have discovered a couple of features that are missing when compared to google, specifically IMAP and multiple calendars, which they may never support in order to protect their EAS/exchange and Outlook income :(

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Drastic Actions posted:

Oh trust me, you have no idea...

Me and another Windows 8 developer are working with them right now trying to fix this crap. The backend VLC C++ stuff is okay from what I can tell, it's the C# stuff that's the issue. They had no idea how to make a Windows 8 app, and the Microsoft guys did the least they could to help.

Windows 8.1 is not supported because... ahh... I don't really know. I was told it was because it failed cert and there were some other issues making it impossible to build it, but they don't actually have a branch for it. I said I would build out the views, but was denied. Right now their goal is to fix the bugs and the crashes. And again, trust me on this, some of these bugs are so dumb your mind would be blown. For example, if the app could not find a biography for the band you are listening to, it would return "It seems we did'nt found a biography for this artist.".

I know they had issues getting it through cert, but the build on the store right now should NOT be there.

But we are on a mission to fix these bugs. I feel really bad for these people who paid good money to have this app, only to get this "beta", which it should be pointed out is version 0.0.2. I don't care about getting paid, I just want it to work as designed. Not like poo poo.

But yeah, some beta.

EDIT:

Your media library is stored in a giant JSON file, which gets loaded every time the app starts up. If you don't know any programming, all you need to know is that is stupid, and right now I would say it's 90% of their issues. When they are trying to index your music and store it in this file, it almost always fails. The thing is, you don't know it fails, they hide the error. So it remakes your media library nearly every time the app loads!

They are trying to convert it to Sqlite, but who knows when they will get done and who is actually doing it. There other issue was running tasks asynchronously. They had no idea how to do it so they would try calling objects that could not be accessed in that thread. This should mostly fixed in the next build though.

Oh yeah, another important thing, as far as I can see there is no QA. We have to unit test our stuff, they review it, and it gets merged. Then it gets released. What you will see is our raw stuff, so let's hope we got it right! :v:

:suicide:

Do you think that VLC will ever come out for Windows RT tablets? Wasn't that one of the Kickstarter goals?

• Locked thread