Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

ufarn posted:

Has anyone created a Something Awful tile to be used as a website shortcut yet? Just the grenade with the trademark dark blue background or something.

Well, as I wrote in the other Windows 8 thread, I'm still working on a forum viewer.

( Screenshots taken on a MS Surface :3: , also the icon is a placeholder while I work on my own. )

There's still a long way to go, but it's getting there. Hopefully it will be more useful than just a link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Sporadic posted:

You can kind of keep track yourself by searching the store for

which will show every app they have (sort by newest to find the new ones, click the newest one to keep your place for the next time you bring up the store)

They only add about 75-150 apps a day and at least 99% of them are pure garbage.

The fact that a good 60% of those apps don't even have a icon attached to them (instead using the default crossed out box) is just sad. Seriously, a good number of those apps are Windows SDK samples, but with slightly different item bindings.

People paid money to put that crap on the store. And they can't even put in the effort to make an icon.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Stick100 posted:

Have you considered using the Xamarin products and bringing them to Android and iOS? I found it super easy to program Android in Visual Studio using Xamarin for Android, and was told by the other developers that for iOS it was very simple also.

I don't have the Visual Studio support license, but Mono on iOS is indeed quite good. They are quite rapid with getting their APIs up to date and are quite nice to work with. Xamarin Studio is no where near as complete as visual studio, but since the core of my apps are written their anyway, porting them over with it was pretty easy. My only issue is me working to actually finish my apps.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

bootleg robot posted:

They're two separate things. I wanted to improve my JavaScript skills, so I took a crack at WinJS. This will probably be a one off thing that I work on at my leisure, while drasticactions has the SA community (including me) to support him.

That UI looks absolutely amazing. I'm working on too much poo poo at one time, I keep getting distracted with work and my other apps to get back to my version. I really gotta get my rear end into gear. :getin:

Autumncomet posted:

Wouldn't want one of you to waste all of that work. :(

Knowledge is never wasted. We can share what we've learned together to get everything up to speed. Hell, everything we have right now is on my Github for all to mess with.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Call Me Charlie posted:

They raised $78,000 on Kickstarter for it.

I don't mind that there's issues with it but no multiple snapped views for Windows 8.1 is unforgivable.

Oh trust me, you have no idea...

Me and another Windows 8 developer are working with them right now trying to fix this crap. The backend VLC C++ stuff is okay from what I can tell, it's the C# stuff that's the issue. They had no idea how to make a Windows 8 app, and the Microsoft guys did the least they could to help.

Windows 8.1 is not supported because... ahh... I don't really know. I was told it was because it failed cert and there were some other issues making it impossible to build it, but they don't actually have a branch for it. I said I would build out the views, but was denied. Right now their goal is to fix the bugs and the crashes. And again, trust me on this, some of these bugs are so dumb your mind would be blown. For example, if the app could not find a biography for the band you are listening to, it would return "It seems we did'nt found a biography for this artist.".

I know they had issues getting it through cert, but the build on the store right now should NOT be there.

But we are on a mission to fix these bugs. I feel really bad for these people who paid good money to have this app, only to get this "beta", which it should be pointed out is version 0.0.2. I don't care about getting paid, I just want it to work as designed. Not like poo poo.

But yeah, some beta.

EDIT:

Edward IV posted:

And don't even start me on its stability, media library aggregation and organization, and the performance of the user interface.

Your media library is stored in a giant JSON file, which gets loaded every time the app starts up. If you don't know any programming, all you need to know is that is stupid, and right now I would say it's 90% of their issues. When they are trying to index your music and store it in this file, it almost always fails. The thing is, you don't know it fails, they hide the error. So it remakes your media library nearly every time the app loads!

They are trying to convert it to Sqlite, but who knows when they will get done and who is actually doing it. There other issue was running tasks asynchronously. They had no idea how to do it so they would try calling objects that could not be accessed in that thread. This should mostly fixed in the next build though.

Oh yeah, another important thing, as far as I can see there is no QA. We have to unit test our stuff, they review it, and it gets merged. Then it gets released. What you will see is our raw stuff, so let's hope we got it right! :v:

:suicide:

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 15, 2014

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Sri.Theo posted:

Do you think that VLC will ever come out for Windows RT tablets? Wasn't that one of the Kickstarter goals?

I've been busy with work and my own projects, so I've not been active in their chat as of late (the last thing I did for them was start adding Sqlite support, so it would actually have a database of your media rather than a huge JSON file). I know they still want to do Windows RT support. Technically if you download their source and run it on a Windows RT tablet it does run, but there are still issues with how it handles background audio. It is still a hack that it works at all, it really should not. With that and how they handle their library linking it fails validation. I have not seen any recent commits that would show they are tackling those issues.

A big thing they do want though is Windows Phone 8.1 support. I can see them doing that first. But again, I don't know.

Oh, and they have made zero effort to make a Windows 8.1 project. Because I'm 99% sure their background audio hack won't work if it uses the new stuff.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyone in here that coded apps, given how old the thread is, most have given up, right? Do you guys expect to pick it up again, when Microsoft announces windowed WinRT apps?

Seeing that I'm going to start working at Xamarin should give you a hint on how I feel about Windows apps now ;).

I still work on the Windows Awful apps from time to time. And I've been helping with the new Windows 8.1 VLC WinRT app (which is actually useable, and what they should have released to start with). But I only really use my Surface Pro 3 for work (It's the best portable Visual Studio machine, with the second being the Surface Pro 2.), and I don't use Windows Phone at all, beyond making sure that Awful app still works and adding features to it, so that I can port that C# code to iOS and Android at some point. I won't leave C# (or F#, that poo poo is pretty fly) behind, but Windows? Yeah, I don't need it. Just give me Mono and I'll whip up an app that can run on many things.

I don't see how Windows 9 will compel me to get back into it. I'll at least make sure the stuff I have supports the windowed stuff (and it should already, seeing that I've been using ModernMix to simulate it). The Awful apps collectively have less than a thousand downloads (I think, all told, it's around 800?) but the people who do use it really do use it, so I want to keep up on it for them. My PlayStation apps have over five thousand downloads, but I've lost interest in it. I've been taking what I've learned from it and making Node.JS modules for it.

So I won't say i've "given up", but I would say I lost interest. There are so many more platforms out there that people actually use (including myself) that I would rather write for then Microsoft specific stuff.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
When I actively used Windows tablets and Windows Phone, I wanted to make apps for it because no one else was making what I wanted. It gave me a reason to care. But iOS is just flat out more unique and interesting to me. It's much much harder to actually get something good out of it compared with Microsofts tools (Say what you want, but XAML for me is by far the easiest front end to deal with and really powerful. Also Xcode sucks. *PLUG* Xamarin Studio is pretty good though *PLUG*) but the end result is worth it.

Since I don't make apps for money, I go with what I'm currently using. I'm using iOS more right now, so that's what I'm interested in. Android is high up there too. Windows Phone has too many issues (especially with Japanese support, where poo poo has been flat out broken since 8.1 and they won't fix it) for me to bother with full time.

In terms of the API, I don't see them changing course. For enterprise apps, from what I recall, you can use "legacy" APIs that are outside of the sandbox, but you can't submit them to the Windows Store. So technically it is possible, but I don't see them changing course on it. Would be nice though.

• Locked thread