Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
The real thing is coming soon, or you can just get used to the barely used start screen, you big baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Stick100 posted:

Classic shell helps massively. It's not a matter of being a baby, on Win 8 the live tiles are useless and returning to Win7 style start menu will increase your ability to use the computer.

I hope they really bring it all the way back with 8.2.

I disagree. I use notifications for email and a few other things, and live tiles are awesome. How often do you go to the start screen that your workflow is significantly hampered?

Going between Win8 and Win7, as I regularly do, I find Win8 quite a bit faster and slicker. The built-in indexing is certainly a whole lot better, which is my main (only) use for the start menu/screen. Anyway, I don't go there often because I press Win+Q or Win+S instead.

Did you know about win+q or win+s?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

PerrineClostermann posted:

If you're really trying to speed up your launching of programs, you use shortcuts or Ctrl+R, like I do.

Or Everything by Voidtools, which is the only tool I've found to be faster than Windows's file index.

Win+R works too, if you make sure to add your quick-launch programs to your PATH.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

robodex posted:

Windows key -> type a few letters of the program you want to use -> hit enter. Hasn't changed since 7 :confused:

Or if you really absolutely hate the start screen, you can type Win+S to launch the systemwide search without that.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Stick100 posted:

Probably 10-20 times an hour. Yes you can type the letters but you lose the context of the rest of your 25 inch screen for what should be 5'x5' instead of 25'x25'. The start screen is a pain for most power users on desktop.

It works great for touchscreen laptops/tablets but is really frustrating on a 25 inch screen.

I don't use any Microsoft service directly so all of my work flow is in desktop programs and chrome tabs. Live files provide absolutely no value for my use case on my large screen desktop. I generally turn off every live tile.

Are you actively using your entire screen when you search? Are you not, perhaps, looking at what you're searching for?

If so, Win+S dude

it is barely larger than the start menu, and more functional. It just pops up a dock on the right side of the screen, a fifth of the screen.

I feel like this derail should be in another thread. Is there a better thread for this?

e: I am a power user and I am on a desktop right now with a 24'' screen. You seem to think I'm speaking exclusively from a tablet/mobile perspective, which I never indicated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Stick100 posted:

Once again thanks! But as a side note how is anyone supposed to find out that Win+S and Win+X combine left clicking the start button as has been the standard on windows for the last 19 years?

How is anyone supposed to find new features? It takes time to find and spread these features among the general populace. Win8 just came out - by the time win9 or win10 are available, more people will 'get' the way this new style of OS works. That is, assuming they don't give up for win9, which I don't think they will.

Not being the same as it used to be isn't really a valid criticism, in my opinion. Things change, and change is necessary to improve. There will be (and have been) some missteps, but overall, I'd say win8 is a positive change.

• Locked thread