Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
I've published two effectively test Win 8 app and am looking for my next project. Is there any big need that you personally feel is unfulfilled on Win8 Metro right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ufarn posted:

Instagram/Pinterest

I assume they don't have public APIs so until the company themselves make the app there won't be one, so it could be weeks or never.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ufarn posted:

http://instagram.com/developer/

Pinterest seems to depend on scraping, judging by the lack of API. Maybe they want to control the devices.

Wow I could not be more wrong about instagram, that instagram api is absolutely amazing.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm getting bad reviews due to crashes, yet the drat WinDev dashboard shows nothing. Like what the hell.

I'm almost sure, it's because of lovely audio drivers. Like the SurfaceRT, which doesn't do 44KHz, nor does WASAPI do SRC.

I think that WinDev dashboard takes a full day to update. What is your app?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

tk posted:

Although I'm not sure that Steam would be technically feasible as Metro-only, I imagine they could do some sort of front-end.

Yeah I'm guessing about all Steam Metro Mode could do is the same thing as the Android App. Which is chat and a couple other things. It wouldn't be able to launch non-Metro Apps (which is all current games).

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Kazy posted:

Seriously, how hard could it be to at least put a "must have store icon" requirement? :psyduck: I mean it won't improve the quality of the apps, but at least it'll look like they're trying.

I figured they did. It was part of the WP7 certification process, I guess they are trying really hard to get the number of apps up to allow in such junk. Reminds me of the early days of WP store when people were submitting thousands of the same free app just for free placement.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

If you want your applications to be visible internationally in the stores, save for spamming it on every forum on the whole wide Internet, you'll have to supply localizations for the respective countries. Otherwise, thanks to a lovely default option in the store, you'll only see apps in your language.

That's pretty mean. I have the advantage of knowing German, English and French and can cover a large base. Other indie developers aren't that lucky.

I think you only have to localize the text for the store not the app itself. Windows Phone 8 is doing the same thing. As most of my downloads for WP7 have been non-us I'm assuming if you load up your phone/tablet in German they will give you results from both stores but just weight the localized ones more.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Gonna try it then. Altho, I've tried Windows 8 on a German computer (friend of mine),

You're probably right I was just making assumptions based on the WP7 store, but it sounds like they might have really locked down the WP8/Metro store. If so man is that thing going to be empty as all hell.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

After months, I've touched code again. I fixed my dreadful Audio Analyzer app by adding a flexible sample rate converter, because some people seem to be using 192KHz and other funky sampling rates on their lovely tablet mikes for no good reason, and thus rendering the app inoperable (because it expects 44.1 and 48KHz only). It'll take a few days to go through certification.

Are you getting many downloads/revenue on the store?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Not exactly the type of apps that'd bring much money.

Have you considered using the Xamarin products and bringing them to Android and iOS? I found it super easy to program Android in Visual Studio using Xamarin for Android, and was told by the other developers that for iOS it was very simple also.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh hey, Windows 8.1 builds of apps use a binary XAML format. No more easy stealing of XAML.

There is a decent chance that they encrypt/obfuscate once they hit the store too. MS started doing that by default on WP awhile ago.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

How does that work for C++/CX code? My audio backend is in C++ because of necessity, because Microsoft refuses to bring managed APIs for audio (beyond simple playback of soundfiles).

I've never tried but I believe it should just work for Android at least. To my understanding for Android and iOS Xamarian is effectively a precompiler compiler and should port the code over. For c++ I would assume it would package it up first. On WP when I did C++ I still had to reach back to c# to interface with much of the OS so that would be compatible.

I believe you can use the products for free to test and see how it will work in the compiler.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Kamakaze9 posted:

Finally! Someone else that doesn't think VLC is the god of all players.

It's easy, convenient and has all of the codecs (including playing DVDs).

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Overall though I think the biggest issue for Firefox in that niche is that Metro IE really is sort of fine. The slow adoption of Metro is another issue sure, but I doubt they reached even a single digit of market penetration in the small market that exists.

Yup no one is using metro, so Firefox should focus on desktop, android, and the Firefox os where they can make an impact. Especially given the extremely limited resources non profit projects have.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

The real thing is coming soon, or you can just get used to the barely used start screen, you big baby.

Classic shell helps massively. It's not a matter of being a baby, on Win 8 the live tiles are useless and returning to Win7 style start menu will increase your ability to use the computer.

I hope they really bring it all the way back with 8.2.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I disagree. I use notifications for email and a few other things, and live tiles are awesome. How often do you go to the start screen that your workflow is significantly hampered?

Probably 10-20 times an hour. Yes you can type the letters but you lose the context of the rest of your 25 inch screen for what should be 5'x5' instead of 25'x25'. The start screen is a pain for most power users on desktop.

It works great for touchscreen laptops/tablets but is really frustrating on a 25 inch screen.

I don't use any Microsoft service directly so all of my work flow is in desktop programs and chrome tabs. Live files provide absolutely no value for my use case on my large screen desktop. I generally turn off every live tile.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Are you actively using your entire screen when you search? Are you not, perhaps, looking at what you're searching for?

If so, Win+S dude

it is barely larger than the start menu, and more functional. It just pops up a dock on the right side of the screen, a fifth of the screen.

I feel like this derail should be in another thread. Is there a better thread for this?

e: I am a power user and I am on a desktop right now with a 24'' screen. You seem to think I'm speaking exclusively from a tablet/mobile perspective, which I never indicated

Thanks for Win+S I'd never heard of it.

I didn't expect anyone was using a tablet, but for me the new start menu is awesome for tablets and smaller touch screen laptops but I don't care for it when I'm not using metro apps. I just don't use any metro apps on my desktops when exclusively using a mouse, classic shell makes things better.

Classic shell when you set it back to Win 7 mode is not just about launching programs but accessing control panel and my computer in the ways that are useful and familiar from the previous 10 years of use.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

Prepare to have your mind blown.

Right click the windows button.

Once again thanks! But as a side note how is anyone supposed to find out that Win+S and Win+X combine left clicking the start button as has been the standard on windows for the last 19 years?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyone in here that coded apps, given how old the thread is, most have given up, right? Do you guys expect to pick it up again, when Microsoft announces windowed WinRT apps?

Win8 desktop / Windows Metro Apps are interesting but I don't think I'll touch WP again except maybe to make some ports if I use an engine like Unity.

Look at this example:

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/app/48e11314-dd1c-4122-baaa-b53c61fa690e

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appId=d30b584c-050d-4995-90a9-8a30bd388ed6

That's a new Free to Play Star Wars Clash of Clans copetitor for Windows 8/WP8.

It's been out for a couple weeks and has 2800 reviews on the Windows 8 store (doesn't seem like it will make it's money back but it's something), the Windows Phone 8 version has 35 reviews. 35, Haredly anyone is using WP8 and of that it seems like no one is using WP8 for anything besides the core experience (Cortona, calls, Onenote, Office, Email). That's fine but having a 2% marketshare with no one looking at your apps, why even bother publishing for that platform even at no effort and free. Dealing with the bug reports for odd low power devices doesn't make it worth it compared to supporting a single extra iOS/Galaxy platform.

EDIT: It's even worse than it looks the Android version was released at the same time and has 116,428 reviews.

That means the WP8 version has .03% as many customers. That's a percentage so it's actually a ratio of 1 -> 0.0003. iOS has 195,680 reviews.

All versions were released 2 weeks ago. I don't believe the WP version will ever be updated and support will likely stop almost immediately.

Assuming an equal percentage of reviews per install you get roughly 10,000 times more non WP mobile customers than WP.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Clickbait or not, I do kind of agree they're listening to whining people more than they are just trying to do their own thing. Considering how ChromeOS is making them nervous, I'd say they should just try to do new poo poo.

Well that's what they did with Vista and 8 and it was pretty horrid. They are somewhat caving to whining people but many of those critisms are spot on.

Example: http://www.nngroup.com/articles/windows-8-disappointing-usability/

I agree with every single one of the usability complaints. I've been using Windows 8 since launch with a start button (Classic Start Menu) in Windows 7 mode with disabled hot corners and no Metro Apps.

You know what it works just fine, but the every bit of the Metro stuff is a failure on a non-tablet device. Windows 8 functionality with Windows 7 UI + Metro apps in a Window is exactly what I want.

There never was any reason a Metro weather app should launch full screen and then take up at least 50% of a 27 in monitor. From the start metro apps were designed to be run at a variety of sizeds and resolution. By not allowing them to run in a Window they effectively locked them self out of the non-touch Laptop/Mouse and Keyboard market.

That Verge article is junk, the last line "Familiar is easy, it's safe, it's probably profitable. But in an industry that moves as fast as technology, familiar is dangerous." is just silly. People use operating systems as a means to accomplish tasks. Almost no one cares to learn an OS. MS took their hail marry pass for Metro Apps and it didn't go anywhere.

I don't know if many people went to MS event around the launch of Windows 8 but MS (or at least the sales guys) was convinced that within a couple month of launch every one would be using Metro mode almost exclusively to accomplish their workload. In their mind the surface 1 (non-pro) was more important than the Pro because everyone would be using Metro apps and the desktop was an afterthought. It was hilariously transparent even pre-launch when they couldn't get the office team to make a metro Office (or even just Word). The office team was convinced Office 365 was the future but that's another story.

MS has come it's senses after seeing the failure of Metro development adoption and they are going back to making the best OS for the most amount of people and it's a good thing.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 5, 2014

• Locked thread