Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Back in the day, I rolled back drivers to solve it and that worked fine. It's not really as scary as it sounds. However, I was under the impression that the newer drivers didn't have that issue anymore anyway; it was only the newish stuff back when the game came out but was later fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Justin_Brett posted:

I asked in the steam thread, but does anyone here have any potential fixes for this stupid error I haven't tried? '.\BMRender\rmode.cpp(2590): DirectX call failed: -1, -1, D3DERR_INVALIDCALL'

Get it on both The Legend and Crossworlds, and I've tried editing the .ini file, reinstalling Direct X, you name it. Only thing I haven't tried is rolling back my drivers, because I'm worried it'll keep me from playing other games, plus my card is a bit old. I'm on a 64 bit system, and it seems like these games don't like that much? Think I should just throw in the towel?

Could you post a screenshot of the error message? That might help with troubleshooting.

PDQ Law
Aug 4, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

I asked in the steam thread, but does anyone here have any potential fixes for this stupid error I haven't tried? '.\BMRender\rmode.cpp(2590): DirectX call failed: -1, -1, D3DERR_INVALIDCALL'

Get it on both The Legend and Crossworlds, and I've tried editing the .ini file, reinstalling Direct X, you name it. Only thing I haven't tried is rolling back my drivers, because I'm worried it'll keep me from playing other games, plus my card is a bit old. I'm on a 64 bit system, and it seems like these games don't like that much? Think I should just throw in the towel?

The found this on the Steam forum from 2010, seems to be about this problem:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=923347

It looks like the consensus answer was to update or roll back nVidia drivers, but early on there was talk about setting both Vsync and Antialiasing to off or changing the screen resolution.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I guess I'll try that if it's less dangerous than it sounds.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
The worst thing that can happen is some new games don't run or run poorly until you switch it back to the new one. Your card won't explode or something. Just run the old installer, reboot when you're told, then run the new one and reboot again when you're finished with kings bounty games.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It's a moot point anyway because the driver they keep talking about doesn't seem to work with my card, even though a later one does.

Whatever, I spent less than ten dollars on them altogether, so it's not a huge loss.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

in the off chance your system has two videocards(embedded intel gpu+nvidia or amd gpu), did you set the game to use the more powerful gpu?

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
Anyone know what magic abilities will boost chaos breath in Dark Side? The spell is crazy good, but it seems like you can't boost duration with int or "Defiler". Since it's not really quantifiable it's hard to know what will actually boost it (speaking power or duration). It says int the description, thinking maybe warlock ability.

Boozie fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 14, 2015

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I have no idea what actually boosts it but it's insanely overpowered. It usually reduces enemies to single-digit hp, even tier 5s, and can push your guys to 5k or more health on the vampire. It's kinda busted as hell.

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
So I'm going to take this a step further for anyone who wants to read through the code. I'm at a place where it feels like picking a vampire was a bad choice if I'm just spamming chaos breath so I need to figure out how to get the most from it.

Here's the code for it:

quote:

-- Chaos breath / Äûõàíèå Õàîñà
function spell_chaos_breath_attack(level, dmgts, target)
local is_spell = false
if level == nil then
level = Obj.spell_level()
else
level = tonumber(level)
end
if level == 0 then
level = 1
end
if dmgts == nil then
dmgts = 0
end
if target == nil then
target = Attack.get_target()
is_spell = true
end
if (target ~= nil) then
local duration = calc_spell_duration ("spell_chaos_breath", level)
duration = correct_spell_duration (duration, target, true)
local power, penalty = pwr_chaos_breath(level)
local skill_bonus = 1 + tonumber(Logic.hero_lu_skill("chaos"))/10
local int_bonus = 1+HInt()/25

if Attack.act_enemy(target) then
power = power / skill_bonus / int_bonus
penalty = penalty / skill_bonus / int_bonus
else
power = power * skill_bonus * int_bonus
penalty = penalty * skill_bonus * int_bonus
end
penalty = math.floor( 0.5 + penalty )
power = math.floor( 0.5 + power )
Attack.act_del_spell(target, "spell_chaos_breath")
Attack.act_apply_spell_begin(target, "spell_chaos_breath", duration, false)
Attack.act_apply_par_spell( "attack", 0, Game.Random(penalty, power)-100, 0, -100, false)
Attack.act_apply_par_spell( "defense", 0, Game.Random(penalty, power)-100, 0, -100, false)
Attack.act_apply_par_spell( "krit", 0, Game.Random(penalty, power)-100, 0, -100, false)
Attack.act_apply_par_spell( "speed", 0, Game.Random(penalty, power)-100, 0, -100, false)
Attack.act_apply_par_spell( "health", 0, Game.Random(penalty, power)-100, 0, -100, false)
Attack.act_apply_spell_end()
Attack.atom_spawn(target, dmgts, "effect_chaos_breath", Attack.angleto(target))
end

return true
end

I bolded the parts I think I need to focus on figuring out. I'm guessing "chaos" is just the chaos skill level. I don't know where the Hint() command is but I feel like it's probably just straight up hero int and not modified. I also don't know what dmgts is. What bugs me the most is that the entire spells.lua file never once has the words "wight", "warlock", or "defiler" so it's hard to know how that is applied to any spells.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I'm guessing dmgts is probably a pointer to "damage targets" i.e. the enemies in the AOE? I'm surprised the variable names are even in English, since it's a Russian game.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

in the off chance your system has two videocards(embedded intel gpu+nvidia or amd gpu), did you set the game to use the more powerful gpu?

Nah, it's a laptop.

I have the first two Age of Wonders games on Humble, those are pretty similar to the series in gameplay, right? Also had my eye on both Eadors.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 23, 2015

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Justin_Brett posted:

Nah, it's a laptop.

I have the first two Age of Wonders games on Humble, those are pretty similar to the series in gameplay, right? Also had my eye on both Eadors.

Mine is a laptop and has 2 GPUs. It's "NVidia Optimus"

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I got past the DirectX error! Someone said turning off shadows worked for them and that me actually progress to interaction. But when I went through the first door in the tutorial, it gives me a black screen, the game crashes and I get this:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: kb.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4911543c
Fault Module Name: kb.exe
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4911543c
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 002b63ad
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: f406
Additional Information 2: f4063bb22743beb8c02d6e8ee23f9fb2
Additional Information 3: cc50
Additional Information 4: cc50bc581b88ad4d4dc69155f30a644b

Anyone seen this from The Legend, or any of them I guess?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Recently acquired Warriors of the North. Are Mages still viable since they seem to get nerved in every iteration? I played Crossworld as a warrior and having my main means of attack taken from me in every boss fight was highly irritating.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I first beat WotN as a soothsayer on hard and it wasn't terribly difficult.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Suspicious posted:

I first beat WotN as a soothsayer on hard and it wasn't terribly difficult.

Good to know. How was the endgame grind? The main reason, next to boss battles, I'm considering playing a mage is that towards the end the damage potential of your dragon fell off and you spent a rather long time in non-threatening battles that you probably could have nuked pretty fast as a mage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I don't remember much of WotN other than it was very long and that a lot of people got bored with it before the end. I also didn't use magic at all on the final boss, as a mage even, to get that achievement. I remember wiping most encounters in 2 rounds with level 2 + level 3 blizzard followed by level 3 oil mist + level 3 fire rain. I also remember getting enough magic runes to max every talent in the magic tree so just get whatever you want.

The only really hard part is the boss fight quickly followed by a hero fight that the game railroads you into fairly early on, at the end of the 4th island. If you can get past that the rest of the game should go fine. That I remember that part and not the end game should tell you all you really need to know.

• Locked thread