Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Where do I find that guy's lost axe on Fastland? There's a big axe on the ground in one of the ruined villages, but I can't seem to click it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Elswyyr posted:

Where do I find that guy's lost axe on Fastland? There's a big axe on the ground in one of the ruined villages, but I can't seem to click it.

It's in one of the villages that have an undead unit roaming in it. The village nearest the dude you get the quest from. Although I do not recall if it was from digging that you find it, or from killing the undead in the ruined town or just on the ground. Look for the treasure marks on your minimap to make sure!

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I've killed every mob on the island, collected every treasure, and I just dug out every square inch of that village. Unless someone else knows where it is, I guess I'll just give up on this quest.

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Only the spergiest will do.

Sloober posted:

Look for the treasure marks on your minimap to make sure!

I was on the 2nd island before I noticed that, it's amazing how much is hidden by the crappy camera, I'm the type who just hammers D when running around too.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
FYI so you can learn from my mistake:

Valkyries can only be upgraded to level 4 with items so don't keep feeding them your loot when you reach that point. Also, items that are level 4 and higher can yield valuable talent runes when destroyed, provided you also have the Artifactor skill.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

moot the hopple posted:

FYI so you can learn from my mistake:

Valkyries can only be upgraded to level 4 with items so don't keep feeding them your loot when you reach that point. Also, items that are level 4 and higher can yield valuable talent runes when destroyed, provided you also have the Artifactor skill.

How do you get them to 5? There is an achievement for doing so.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sloober posted:

How do you get them to 5? There is an achievement for doing so.

After you get a valkyerie to 4, you can talk to her and get a quest. When you complete it she will level to 5.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Elswyyr posted:

The issue with this one too. The trick is that the axe is not treated as an item on the ground. It's treated as a movement script or whatever - so you need to literally run your hero OVER the axe to trigger it. The axe is super obvious though, it's in one of the ruined villages and you can see it from the sky. I'm pretty sure it even sparkles.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Also does anyone else think it's pretty obvious that MISTER CONSORT PRINCE:spergin: is going to stab you in the back hardcore?
Yes, and it is so obvious, what with every other character in the game telling you as much and you not entirely willing to accept it, that I am looking forward to the outcome. There are so many funny directions they can go with this ... other than the straightforward "I CANNOT BELIEVE IT!!!" which would ignore everything else they had built up.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
So I'm not as great as you guys and only playing on normal - but holy jesus gently caress the first boss was hard, I barely beat the stupid thing, was probably my closest battle in any of these games. Maybe playing a Blaster Mage for the first time wasn't the best of ideas in this game.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
No, the boss is definitely bullshit no matter the difficulty, which is a shame because the game really opens up and gets fun after that. The spider can do no less than summon a bunch of minions that immediately take their action that turn, retaliate against ranged and melee attacks, web your guys so they lose a turn, and reposition itself away from your melee attackers. Oh, and its undead spider minions will occasionally leave those purple orbs that hurt your guys if they step on them or AoE explode if they're still around them.

Not to mention you have to face an enemy hero afterwards, meaning after the inevitable loses you'll take, you'll have to schlep back to rebuild your army which disappears after that enemy hero fight :argh:.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
For the spider boss fight: Use a wanderer scroll for more leadership if you've got it, it seriously helps when most of your units can one shot the summoned troops of cursed spiders. Also try to position your troops attacking it so that there's only one on each side and one in the middle, that way only one troop will get hit when it retaliates.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
Well I just fought the giant spider boss and wrecked it with Berserkers and Jarls doing most of the work. It sucks that I wasn't able to use rage skills but it was easy enough. This game is much easier than the legend and armored princess. Its nice that you don't have to keep running around to refill units that much but part of me feels disappointed. Still amazingly fun and addictive like the other two of the series though.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

moot the hopple posted:

No, the boss is definitely bullshit no matter the difficulty, which is a shame because the game really opens up and gets fun after that.

About this. When exactly can you leave the continent you reach after that first boss fight? I have a boat, but the island travel button is missing. And talking to the fisherman guy only gives an option to pay 30k gold to pop over to another section of the continent.

Does it get re-enabled after you head through the demon portal to retrieve the *whatever* for the prince consort? Or it it something painfully obvious I'm missing?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

You need to be on the central section of the continent, greenwort. You can't sail to another continent if you on on a ship in the area to the south or east.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Velveteen posted:

Well I just fought the giant spider boss and wrecked it with Berserkers and Jarls doing most of the work. It sucks that I wasn't able to use rage skills but it was easy enough. This game is much easier than the legend and armored princess. Its nice that you don't have to keep running around to refill units that much but part of me feels disappointed. Still amazingly fun and addictive like the other two of the series though.

I'm finding this Spider harder than any of the battles in Armoured Princess, I just don't think I have the right army makeup for it. I've fought it a total of six times now - I killed it once, but it still had spider stacks left and I didn't have enough troops to actually kill them.
I'm hurt a bit by the fact that in total over all the islands there's only been 10 Jarls and I've got only 7 left so I can't really use them in the fights.

I'm really regretting being a Skald because holy gently caress are your songs absolute poo poo. I have Edda upgraded to level 3 and they still barely make a difference. I don't know if they're bugged or what, but so far only the Undead song actually seems to work.

Incidentally I have picked up that Axe, but I don't know who it belongs to. As far as I know I've been to all the castles and such but I don't remember meeting anyone called Hakon!

Taear fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 1, 2012

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The morale boosting song is also alright, morale is always good to boost. Generally though the songs are really lackluster, I wouldn't put more than one point in that skill.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Pumpkinreaper posted:

As for King's Bounty: Armored Princess, it wasn't that it was difficult, it was just that early on it has really bad pacing for enemies, so that for a few levels you have to jump between islands, trying to find enemies that are easy enough for you to kill so you can move on to the next area and so on.

I liked Armored Princess but this turned me off a lot and I never got past the starting areas, hopefully Warriors of the North is paced better.

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib

Taear posted:

Incidentally I have picked up that Axe, but I don't know who it belongs to. As far as I know I've been to all the castles and such but I don't remember meeting anyone called Hakon!

He's an NPC on the same island that you pick up the axe on. He's hidden somewhere between an incline and a wall and is easy to miss. He's near the village you pick up the axe in, though.

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004
I have the first King's Bounty game. How much am I missing out on if I play that instead of Armored Princess for now? I hear AP is the superior game, but the pacing is sort of bad??

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
The greed song is broken for me, but in a good way. It should give a minor initiative buff and a minor defense debuff, but it gives like 20 extra initiative for 6 rounds, while the defense debuff is still minor. It kinda breaks the game if you use troops balanced by their low initiative.

And the elemental damage songs are great against ghosts and other high physical resist troops.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

CerebralDonut posted:

I have the first King's Bounty game. How much am I missing out on if I play that instead of Armored Princess for now? I hear AP is the superior game, but the pacing is sort of bad??
Go ahead and play the Legend. At the core, they are all extremely similar games in the way they play. If you like it, you'll probably like AP/crossworlds and warriors of the north. If you don't like it, you won't like the followups.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

AParadox posted:

And the elemental damage songs are great against ghosts and other high physical resist troops.

They never seem to work, I am definitely not causing extra fire damage - I use that grease patch spell to test it and it's not doing a thing.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Taear posted:

They never seem to work, I am definitely not causing extra fire damage - I use that grease patch spell to test it and it's not doing a thing.

Just tried the fire song against ghosts with elven archers: Without, 1770 max damage, with 2440.

Maybe it doesnt trigger things normal fire damage does, but its definitely noticeable

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

It's an AP trick, but as a mage, your best bet vs bosses is beefcake troops and Avenging Angel. Every time the spider retaliates, it'll take damage. If you can put 3 tanky troops in front of one leg and avenging angel all of them, he'll be taking a lot of extra damage every turn.

Also, the elemental songs aren't extra damage. You do the same amount of damage, it just changes the type. It's not super useful against most things, and doesn't seem to affect abilities, only auto attacks. You'll see a huge difference vs things with high natural resists, however. Ghosts/Knights/Paladins have 50%+ physical resist, so changing 25% of your damage to Fire is a big deal. Stuff like bears have a fire weakness, but it's only 10%, so you're doing 2.5% more damage. Which isn't fabulous.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Taear posted:

I'm finding this Spider harder than any of the battles in Armoured Princess, I just don't think I have the right army makeup for it. I've fought it a total of six times now - I killed it once, but it still had spider stacks left and I didn't have enough troops to actually kill them.
I'm hurt a bit by the fact that in total over all the islands there's only been 10 Jarls and I've got only 7 left so I can't really use them in the fights.

I'm really regretting being a Skald because holy gently caress are your songs absolute poo poo. I have Edda upgraded to level 3 and they still barely make a difference. I don't know if they're bugged or what, but so far only the Undead song actually seems to work.

Spider is where you have to realize that you will be in close quarters the entire time - so don't bring fragile ranged troops, bring melee troops that hit hard. Don't touch slingers. My spider troop was a stack of jarls, berserkers, skalds, soothsayers and a stack of priests. (Yeah priests, they can do good damage to undead spiders and are not entirely fragile). I stoneskinned my spider attackers which significantly helped.

Restarted as a viking class and holy moly is it far easier than soothsayer was. Magic needs some retuning I think. Killed the giant spider in 4 rounds. compared to the 11 it took my soothsayer.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Andrast posted:

The morale boosting song is also alright, morale is always good to boost. Generally though the songs are really lackluster, I wouldn't put more than one point in that skill.
The +Def/+Atk song is my go to song personally. I don't know the exact values of how much it's scaling, and honestly I've never completely understood the ATK/DEF system too much, but +6/+6 at my level is pretty great. I'm at like 15% stun rate too on my attacks.

The undead song is obviously really great. It's like free rage/mana and a buff/debuff all in one song, and obviously you fight A LOT of undead. I use the elemental songs periodically but it's pretty hard to tell how good they are doing. The morale song is good too and its proc rate gets pretty high later on. I think I'm up to like 30% or something.

Raising the Edda skill does seem useless. It's either not updating the tooltips correctly when you skill it, or it's just bad. I didn't care to experiment to figure out which.

All in all, I've been very happy with my Skald. The only thing I miss is High Magic from my mage in AP. The resurrection skill is mostly just a lazy man's skill now so you don't have to recruit often. The resource saving aspect of it is completely moot with the millions of gold you get in the game.

Honestly the best perk is just the even rune distribution. Mind runes were always a gigantic pain in the rear end when I was playing mage in AP, and I suspect it's the same if you play a warrior.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Honestly the best perk is just the even rune distribution. Mind runes were always a gigantic pain in the rear end when I was playing mage in AP, and I suspect it's the same if you play a warrior.
Not really so much for warrior. You generally aren't in any rush to plumb the depths of the mind tree. You mostly want to get rage control, anger, bloodlust, and runic power online from the might tree in order to start laying the rage smackdown. From the magic tree you want order, distortion magic, and transmute so you can keep spells like mass bless and mass haste/slow going.

I mean, a level of learning early on isn't a bad idea, or power of spirit and sense weakness. They aren't really necessary in order to get your rage destruction engine going though. If anything you end up with too many mind runes early on when you would rather have more might and magic.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 2, 2012

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
AHAHAHAHHAAHHAA

:shepface:

(I had close to this amount earlier on in the fight but two heavenly guard died before I remembered to take a screenshot)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Filthy Monkey posted:

Not really so much for warrior. You generally aren't in any rush to plumb the depths of the mind tree. You mostly want to get rage control, anger, bloodlust, and runic power online from the might tree in order to start laying the rage smackdown. From the mind tree you want order, distortion magic, and transmute so you can keep spells like mass bless and mass haste/slow going.

I mean, a level of learning early on isn't a bad idea, or power of spirit and sense weakness. They aren't really necessary in order to get your rage destruction engine going though. If anything you end up with too many mind runes early on when you would rather have more might and magic.
Yeah I guess glory really isn't as important this game. Glory+Learning+Orator are staples for me. I really like having as high morale as possible. There's a lot of crit in general in the mind tree.

The damage reflect skill I am not too keen on. It just amounts to graphical spam now.

Thankfully even as a Skald, you can rocket straight up the right side of the warrior tree for all of the rage poo poo. It's not very mind rune intensive.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I kind of regret rushing to the bottom of the mind tree since Favorite of the Gods returns way too little damage to be appreciative and Warriors of Valhalla doesn't really affect me since I'll either go no losses or just lose one or two units, and ressurection only triggers when you lose more than that. I imagine they get better with more than one rank in them but there's way more better stuff to invest for the runes. The clear winners for me are Diversions, Learning, Sense Weakness, and one or more ranks of Tactics depending on how badly you need to get things in melee range. The lower right hand, Persuasion and Oratory, also looks really promising in late game; can't wait to find a stack of Black Knights to mix up with my regular army :unsmigghh:

Also, Diplomacy seems to still be bugged, convincing a similar unit to join your stack will make it go over leadership requirements and lose control in battle. Similarly, Edda's Chaotic Elf song is bugged because it will occasionally bless enemies and curse allies.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

moot the hopple posted:

Also, Diplomacy seems to still be bugged, convincing a similar unit to join your stack will make it go over leadership requirements and lose control in battle. Similarly, Edda's Chaotic Elf song is bugged because it will occasionally bless enemies and curse allies.

You say "occasionally" but it's practically always, it seems.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I do remember getting super-excited about the second rank of Tactics in the last game(s), yet this game I have no idea how I ever won fights before my current "usually-two-Rage-blasts to start the combat plus mostly ranged-fighting-annihilators ensuring nothing actually gets more than half-way across the map." This is probably a cowardly way to play :(

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Quarex posted:

I do remember getting super-excited about the second rank of Tactics in the last game(s), yet this game I have no idea how I ever won fights before my current "usually-two-Rage-blasts to start the combat plus mostly ranged-fighting-annihilators ensuring nothing actually gets more than half-way across the map." This is probably a cowardly way to play :(

You're not playing King's Bounty right if you don't occasionally feel sorry for the AI.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
In King's Bounty: The Legend do troops in castles and other locations ever replenish themselves? I'm running out of some stuff already.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid
EDIT: Wrong game... but the information might still be useful so whatever:

After certain main quests some will get stocked with new/different/more units.

I don't recall which one's offhand beyond turning in two of the artifacts to the prince consort on the three-part continent. Finishing the Captain of the Guard's (in the same place) three side quests opens up new units in that location as well.

----------------------------------

On Fastland there's a Gate Guard who gives you a "Beast Hunting" quest to find him something like 10 Bear Pelts and 20 Wolf Pelts. I thought this meant grab some Bears/Wolves... but that didn't work.

Are there actual pelts somewhere to grab? Fighting Bears/Wolves doesn't seem to help either.

Offkorn fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 2, 2012

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Cuatal posted:

In King's Bounty: The Legend do troops in castles and other locations ever replenish themselves? I'm running out of some stuff already.

Troops in castles usually replenish on plot movement, like initially after you defeat the turtle the main castle will have upgraded troops and better ones, and some may have changed to "horde" level - which means they don't run out. Best way to work on not running out of critters is using spells like trap and casting summons to make it so you don't actually lose troops anywhere. Things like beholders/evil eyes etc are really nice because not only can they do respectable range damage but also have a chance of putting a unit to sleep and missing their next action.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Relentless posted:

You're not playing King's Bounty right if you don't occasionally feel sorry for the AI.
You know, that makes perfect sense. Just yesterday I was watching as yet another endless horde of plants and beholders died meaningless deaths and feeling sorry for them.

Also, almost every group of enemies the game throws at you has "internal fantasy army consistency" going for it, except when beholders show up with completely arbitrary groups all the time. Poor beholders, they do not have any logical friends :(

Offkorn posted:

On Fastland there's a Gate Guard who gives you a "Beast Hunting" quest to find him something like 10 Bear Pelts and 20 Wolf Pelts. I thought this meant grab some Bears/Wolves... but that didn't work.
That is a quest parodying MMORPG quest chains, but the translation does not seem to make it nearly over-the-top enough to clarify. There is one specific group of bears/wolves you need, and I am pretty sure it appears in conjunction with that quest, since I had already cleared the area I later found them in (there is an arrow made of rocks on the ground nearby, about 3x the length of your horse if that helps ... I think it is pretty close to the arrival area of the island).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Can someone tell me how to get the Butterfly quest done? I cannot dock it, because there's a loving huge rock in the way.

quote:

To a degree this is what the game is about - although yes places do replenish after certain plot points, or get better units, you're supposed to rotate out things as you lose the final ones of them. Partly it helps you to rely on lower level units where there's an essentially limitless supply.

The only time I felt it didn't really work was in Crossroads/AP - it feels like the game is built around having a themed army of undead, humans or whatever. Usually you can't actually HAVE a themed army though, because the supplies just aren't there for you to recruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

moot the hopple posted:

I kind of regret rushing to the bottom of the mind tree since Favorite of the Gods returns way too little damage to be appreciative and Warriors of Valhalla doesn't really affect me since I'll either go no losses or just lose one or two units, and ressurection only triggers when you lose more than that. I imagine they get better with more than one rank in them but there's way more better stuff to invest for the runes. The clear winners for me are Diversions, Learning, Sense Weakness, and one or more ranks of Tactics depending on how badly you need to get things in melee range. The lower right hand, Persuasion and Oratory, also looks really promising in late game; can't wait to find a stack of Black Knights to mix up with my regular army :unsmigghh:

Warriors of Valhalla is nice if you still use lower tier soldiers in your stack for dealing like 10k crits using various buffs/tricks. Even if you lose the stack in the process, it comes back fully ready after the fight! Berserkers, orcs, etc.

I actually skipped sense weakness for now, I need to go back and grab that but mind runes and maxing oratory right now. Persuasion is actually kind of lovely, I think? There's really not that many hostile races going around so you can just raise it as necessary. Tactics always seemed pointless to me with improved haste in the game, and having to deal with tactics every fight just feels like a waste of time.

I've yet to run into this diplomacy bug with only 1 rank.

• Locked thread