Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Node posted:

Well I'd love to hear from people who have purchased this game to see how it compares to AP, or KB: The Legend, and tell us if its a horrible unrecognizable mess. Or if it still has awesome music, funny and weird dialog, good gameplay, etc.

Thanks in advance!!!
It's pretty much everything AP was with a much gentler difficulty curve. There's plethora of really weird dialog (I read about half of it, and skip the other half). Also they took Paladins and gave them another unique ability in the form of pre-battle buff songs that scale. I'm playing this class personally after not seeing any big changes with mages and runic magic looked boring.

I'm only in the middle of the second island and I have 150k gold with the difficulty set to Hard. Echo'ing the comment that the viking unit base is really strong and it feels like you have all the tools to actually play the intro game.

Sounds like they've taken the entire AP soundtrack and also introduced new soundtracks. I've heard a lot of familiar tracks, although oddly placed sometimes. The pirate island theme from AP appears in the weirdest places like fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah, the first thing I did after my first fight was turn on fast animations immediately. It carries over to your rage powers and stuff too but it's pretty mandatory.

Srice posted:

I like AP/Crossworlds more so far, but this one isn't bad at all. I just wish it took less time to really open up the world.
For what it's worth, they give you the flying horse very quickly in this one.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah they replenish every fight. Just use them regularly. You can cast a spell to give your soldiers more runes too.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Has anyone figured out how to offer items to the Valkyries? Do you just destroy items?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It's not really a randomly generated game. I see one playthrough as usual and that'll be it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The attrition started on the 3rd and 4th island for me. I ended up having depleted berserkers, maidens, and polar bears by the time I hit the first boss. The first boss was a pretty good fight though but I ended up using some Sea Dogs and Skalds to do mop up duty while the Jotun and Jarl worked on the boss.

I just got the colossus wanderer spell. And the talking raven you pick up on the first island can scribe it. I got 1100 hp frost dragons with my first use. I can see this is going to be hilarious.

This area after the boss is no slouch either. I'm depleted on Jarls now too.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 28, 2012

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Okay after the first boss the next area's difficulty just sky rockets for a couple of reasons. Also I just dropped about 120k on a new army, heh.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Mr.48 posted:

Wait, are there not enoughn troops available for hire in the castles or something? One of the biggest gripes I have with the KB games is having to constantly travel back to earlier areas to replenish my army. I was hoping they would figure this poo poo out by now and get it fixed. Oh god I just remembered the endless trips back to the Swamps and Islands of Freedom in The Legend to restock on Royal Snakes, Evil Beholders and Orc Shamans. gently caress that noise, you'd think that they could implement some sort of remote buying system like the caravans in Heroes 4 or something.
There generally is for about 90% of the stuff? Some of the other stuff is a bit rarer at the start.

But yeah you do have to take some field trips to restock troops from time to time. The 4th island in particular is pretty stupid in that the only place you can hire just has the low and mid tier rogue units and nothing viking related.

The 5th area has like, gobs of stuff to hire and it's everywhere. I don't think you can visit an area of the map without running into someone hiring out Horsemen.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
That is one crazy lord of the north. I like using the leadership valkyrie for obvious reasons, but that's a pretty neat use of the rage valkyrie.

Anyone have a clue what telling a valkyrie to manage your runes does? It just seems like a left over dialog option.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The songs are pretty good too. They scale by themselves. This is the first King's Bounty I am bothering with the resurrection skill, and I am not sure why I did this when the game rains so much money on you. I do have some level 5 things that I'd like to last as long as possible so I guess there's that.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I always thought all of the KB games take place in parallel.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Markkei posted:

It actually is determined by your unused talent runes - the ones you see in your hero panel.

Is there anywhere you can restock on Viking units outside the first four islands? Just had all my units taken away from my after going through the portal and I would rather not use the human units. I had already bought up all the Warrior Maidens and Jarls in the first four islands.
Just walk to the coast and you'll find a ship and you can sail back to all your old places. Just try not to die on the way I 'suppose.

Also as cool as vikings are, the orc units blow them all out of the water. Man they are so loving damaging once the adrenaline builds up.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It feels just right on Hard difficulty for me, and I know a number of the usual KB tricks. I'm up to level 28 and things have settled back into the relaxing curve after locking my Skald build down. I'm back up to like a million gold from abusing call colossus so much but I've switched over to orcs just to mess with them.

I probably only read like 10% of the story in this game. It doesn't help that the font is so tiny on my screen and there is no way to increase it. I like how everytime you talk to the raven, the line to end the discussion is "Finnish the call". I don't know if it's the Finnish typo that cracks me up or the fact that the game thinks you are on a phone.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Kanos posted:

Is anyone noticing a bug with Learning, the +% XP skill in the spirit tree? I picked up a level of it as prereqs and am suddenly getting absolutely no experience from killing strong, very strong, and deadly stacks on greenwort at level 17. I'm horrified that it might be bugged to reduce your xp gain TO 10% instead of increasing it by 10% or something ridiculous.

Edit: Yeah, my game is completely hosed. I'm killing invincible stacks and gaining absolutely 0 experience from anything but quests. loving hell.

Edit2: Rolled back to a save before I took Learning and am getting full experience from everything. Looks like the talent is super bugged.
Mine worked fine at both rank 1, 2, and 3 on my Skald.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah the battle fatigue gimmick is still in there. You will see it from time to time on bosses. It has its own log entry and everything.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
5 crystals per raven scroll too I believe.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
For some reason everytime I win a fight, 2 orcs join me.

[e]Oh recruiter. Herp derp.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 31, 2012

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Darkrenown posted:

Heals undead that walk on it instead. Dunno if it's only friendly ones or you could kill their undead and then walk your own undead onto it for a heal.

Luck gives a decent chance to do a 2nd attack at the end of the round, it's pretty good.

Are rage abilities on a shared cooldown? Sometimes viking whirl locks me out of Lord of the North on the next turn.
All of Olaf's rage abilities share a CD. The Valks do not.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Pumpkinreaper posted:

30 mins or so after the first boss, you're going to be dumping a ton of gold which explains why you get so much of it.

Also does anyone else think it's pretty obvious that MISTER CONSORT PRINCE:spergin: is going to stab you in the back hardcore?
Don't worry in like 3 hours you'll be back up to a million gold. It just rains, rains, rains! There are still some pretty tough fights to find here and there though, but plenty of fodder to chew through to get stronger and stronger. Game really opens up at that point too. I spent forever just dicking around on the Orc islands for no obvious plot reason.

The more I play, the more I'm happy there's copious amounts of gold. It's kind of nice to be able to dick around with all the unit types for once instead of always worrying about dumping money. Finding items in dwellings feels more like finding a cool chest since dwellings are a bit more rare now.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Elswyyr posted:

Where do I find that guy's lost axe on Fastland? There's a big axe on the ground in one of the ruined villages, but I can't seem to click it.
The issue with this one too. The trick is that the axe is not treated as an item on the ground. It's treated as a movement script or whatever - so you need to literally run your hero OVER the axe to trigger it. The axe is super obvious though, it's in one of the ruined villages and you can see it from the sky. I'm pretty sure it even sparkles.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Andrast posted:

The morale boosting song is also alright, morale is always good to boost. Generally though the songs are really lackluster, I wouldn't put more than one point in that skill.
The +Def/+Atk song is my go to song personally. I don't know the exact values of how much it's scaling, and honestly I've never completely understood the ATK/DEF system too much, but +6/+6 at my level is pretty great. I'm at like 15% stun rate too on my attacks.

The undead song is obviously really great. It's like free rage/mana and a buff/debuff all in one song, and obviously you fight A LOT of undead. I use the elemental songs periodically but it's pretty hard to tell how good they are doing. The morale song is good too and its proc rate gets pretty high later on. I think I'm up to like 30% or something.

Raising the Edda skill does seem useless. It's either not updating the tooltips correctly when you skill it, or it's just bad. I didn't care to experiment to figure out which.

All in all, I've been very happy with my Skald. The only thing I miss is High Magic from my mage in AP. The resurrection skill is mostly just a lazy man's skill now so you don't have to recruit often. The resource saving aspect of it is completely moot with the millions of gold you get in the game.

Honestly the best perk is just the even rune distribution. Mind runes were always a gigantic pain in the rear end when I was playing mage in AP, and I suspect it's the same if you play a warrior.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Filthy Monkey posted:

Not really so much for warrior. You generally aren't in any rush to plumb the depths of the mind tree. You mostly want to get rage control, anger, bloodlust, and runic power online from the might tree in order to start laying the rage smackdown. From the mind tree you want order, distortion magic, and transmute so you can keep spells like mass bless and mass haste/slow going.

I mean, a level of learning early on isn't a bad idea, or power of spirit and sense weakness. They aren't really necessary in order to get your rage destruction engine going though. If anything you end up with too many mind runes early on when you would rather have more might and magic.
Yeah I guess glory really isn't as important this game. Glory+Learning+Orator are staples for me. I really like having as high morale as possible. There's a lot of crit in general in the mind tree.

The damage reflect skill I am not too keen on. It just amounts to graphical spam now.

Thankfully even as a Skald, you can rocket straight up the right side of the warrior tree for all of the rage poo poo. It's not very mind rune intensive.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

moot the hopple posted:

I kind of regret rushing to the bottom of the mind tree since Favorite of the Gods returns way too little damage to be appreciative and Warriors of Valhalla doesn't really affect me since I'll either go no losses or just lose one or two units, and ressurection only triggers when you lose more than that. I imagine they get better with more than one rank in them but there's way more better stuff to invest for the runes. The clear winners for me are Diversions, Learning, Sense Weakness, and one or more ranks of Tactics depending on how badly you need to get things in melee range. The lower right hand, Persuasion and Oratory, also looks really promising in late game; can't wait to find a stack of Black Knights to mix up with my regular army :unsmigghh:

Also, Diplomacy seems to still be bugged, convincing a similar unit to join your stack will make it go over leadership requirements and lose control in battle. Similarly, Edda's Chaotic Elf song is bugged because it will occasionally bless enemies and curse allies.
Warriors of Valhalla is nice if you still use lower tier soldiers in your stack for dealing like 10k crits using various buffs/tricks. Even if you lose the stack in the process, it comes back fully ready after the fight! Berserkers, orcs, etc.

I actually skipped sense weakness for now, I need to go back and grab that but mind runes and maxing oratory right now. Persuasion is actually kind of lovely, I think? There's really not that many hostile races going around so you can just raise it as necessary. Tactics always seemed pointless to me with improved haste in the game, and having to deal with tactics every fight just feels like a waste of time.

I've yet to run into this diplomacy bug with only 1 rank.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

moot the hopple posted:

The game also remembers your formation so you don't have to change up your units after every battle, it's just a matter of hitting a confirmation box.
Oh poo poo? When did they make this change? I don't remember it being like that the last time I used it. I'll have to pick it up now as the idea of casting mass bless instead of mass haste at first is pretty enticing.

Ahhh, so many mind runes to get.

Sloober posted:

Anyone run into a crash bug when attacking Ice Dragons? I'm trying to empty out the former Dragon's lair in ruined verlon (i more than able to) but anytime I attack the ice dragon troop with any of my own the game crashes out.
Oh yes. Thankfully they are rare, and it only crashes when it's you killing them, but it's a known bug.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/203350/discussions/0/864950398839098278/

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Oh hey patch notes for today's patch while I was lurking the steam forums for the latest update in crashes:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/203350/discussions/0/864950398838848231/

quote:

ENG
Enemy trops now can deal critical damage <-- traps I assume
• "Sense Weakness" skill routine fixed
• "Icy Rage" skill now applies critical chance to rage abilities
• Valkyrie level up interface improved
• Game freeze after sacrificing a second item to Gudrida fixed
• "Magical Help" ability of Witch Hunters now applies a random buff
• Incorrect passages in Catacombs, Pirate dungeon, on the Riftlands and Nordlig are now fixed
• Auto-battle now uses Rage abilities
• "Last hero" spell corrected
• A number of texts clarified and corrected, including
• Description of Song of Ljusalfheim corrected
• Description of skill Transmutation corrected
• Description of Divine Hand corrected
• Description of bonus items in Valhalla edition corrected
• Odis Or and Undershore Brotherhood quests corrected *
• Quest-related (“Missing cabin boy”) army now doesn’t run away anymore *
• Hilda now adds a correct amount of leadership at any level *
• Regina now grants attack bonus to level 5 creatures *
• "Greedy"-achievement counter now displays the amount of gold earned correctly *
• Amount of honey in "Block of Honey" now won’t be reduced if the item is in the inventory
• "Shamanic doll" item functioning corrected *
• "Telescopic Sight" item functioning corrected *
• Travel time between islands calculation corrected *
---
* New Game Required

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Did Crossworlds add enough to AP to warrant another playthrough? I skipped Crossworlds before after the horrifying experience that was playing an early game Mage on hard mode, but I am not sure I could go back from Warriors of the North. I can't quite recall what all changed in the talent trees.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Ancient phoenix is such a ridiculously powerful spell in this game. The thing can crit for 2.5k all on its own, and it's an AoE attack too. It tanks like a champ too. I don't quite recall this thing being that powerful in AP.

Darkrenown posted:

Yeah, the problem is I can only seem to get him to list what spells he knows, I don't see any option to get him to actually write it out. It's really bugging me since I found Call Colossus on the 2nd island and had him eat it with the intent of rocking out some super troops. Do I need to have any supplies for him to write with or something?
If there's no option for him to write a spell then that means he's already writing one. It takes time for him to write the spell and there's no warning when it's actually written. Just check your wanderer spells periodically until the one you chose appears. Then check back with the Raven and you can ask him to write another spell.

If you never chose for him to write a spell, I suppose it may take time for him to consume a new spell too (maybe it autochooses for him to write the spell he consumed, I can't quite recall).

Also writing takes 5 crystals but he'll yell at you if you don't have enough.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Ahaha, that's funny. I junked that poo poo ages ago too.

PotatoManJack posted:

So I haven't had a huge amount of time to play this new expansion / quest, but so far I'm a little disapointed by the starting island. I've restarted a few times to try the different classes, and it's been the exact same troops available for recruitment. It's kinda boring... I really like to have some variety in the troops I play with.

Does this get better once you get to the 2nd / 3rd islands?
Yeah after the 4th island and its two bosses, you can pretty much go anywhere and recruit most of the usual mid-game stuff you would see in a KB game.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'm too afraid to use the treasure rage ability since it causes the enemy's turn to hang almost all the time. Think it's done that when I took the stupid range upgrade to see what it did (I guess it's the lure range?)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Well the west island is infinitely way more entertaining than the east. I think I only did like half of the east island before just sailing off into the blue out of boredom.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Zoness posted:

Anybody find it weird that you get a quest that nets you items that buff allied vampires but it seems like there's 0 ways to recruit undead
I think it's supposed to be a joke about the intentions of the guy and his "club" :>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
As hard as it goes. Olaf's Angels is by far the easiest installment outside of one particular fight.

vvv No, there's just one boss fight that's a little hamfisted but if you are good at the series you should walk all over that too

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 4, 2013

• Locked thread