Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

steinrokkan posted:

Oh no, he cheated at a video game? Poor people who have to bear the brunt of this violation of trust, such as *check notes* speedrun researchers????

Dream fanfic poster spotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Oh no, he cheated at a video game? Poor people who have to bear the brunt of this violation of trust, such as *check notes* speedrun researchers????

This isn't so much "you not only cheated the game, but yourself" and more "built an entertainment persona worth millions of dollars based on a fake premise"

Maybe he should have taken those normal pills.

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

I support dream's will to power and ability to use his fanbase as a weapon in order to gain even more wealth in fame

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

miniscule12 posted:

I support dream's will to power and ability to use his fanbase as a weapon in order to gain even more wealth in fame

I mean what good is a fanbase otherwise

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

sexpig by night posted:

I mean what good is a fanbase otherwise

keeps the fan from tipping over.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Has anybody said "flared fan base" yet?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Grondoth posted:

"built an entertainment persona worth millions of dollars based on a fake premise"

It's a video game

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
People who pay to watch the epic smiley face guy play a computer game deserve whatever they get.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yes, but how does this result in a fandom writing scads of high-school AU fanfic where everyone is an animal/Minecraft-monster hybrid and everyone's platonically cuddling? (Seriously, my random sample from checking AO3 at lunch yesterday showed 3 of these Minecraft RPF in the last 20 or so updated site-wide, and they all involved platonic cuddling. One involved a platonic marriage. What is going on?)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Antivehicular posted:

Yes, but how does this result in a fandom writing scads of high-school AU fanfic where everyone is an animal/Minecraft-monster hybrid and everyone's platonically cuddling? (Seriously, my random sample from checking AO3 at lunch yesterday showed 3 of these Minecraft RPF in the last 20 or so updated site-wide, and they all involved platonic cuddling. One involved a platonic marriage. What is going on?)

yea like I agree getting his fetus fans to yell at rando speedrun nerds who pointed out he cheated or whatever sucks but I'm still incredibly confused how minecraft speedruns became Middle School Level Game Of Thrones that spawned a billion coffee shop platonic polycule AUs.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

It's a video game

I mean, basketball and hockey and football are just games, too. But billions of dollars are involved in each one of them.

I'm not giving Minecraft speedrunning gravitas, I'm saying that Dream got big by faking that he was the best minecraft speedrunner out there. This has brought him literally international fame and millions of dollars. I don't understand why, but he's not some dude bragging to his classmates that he totally beat the game in like 4 minutes. He's a multi-million dollar entertainment personality, as loving weird as that is to come to grips with.

ShellGame
Apr 10, 2016

stack 'em to the heavens
the way i heard it he was caught cheating, said he didn't cheat, had it proven further, then said oops okay he cheated on accident

which is funny to me

i don't know anything else about any of these people and I'm glad the doc wasn't about them

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
The best part was when people did the math and found it to be astronomicaly improbable that he didn't cheat he hired a mathematician to put out a statement saying he didn't.

The mathematician then recanted since he was given inaccurate data.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Grondoth posted:

I'm saying that Dream got big by faking that he was the best minecraft speedrunner out there.
he didn't, he was already big before that.

it's still pathetic to cheat at a speedrun and deny it after people prove you were obviously cheating of course

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Big ups to ANYONE who makes millions of dollars on a scam honestly

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

ShellGame posted:

the way i heard it he was caught cheating, said he didn't cheat, had it proven further, then said oops okay he cheated on accident

which is funny to me

i don't know anything else about any of these people and I'm glad the doc wasn't about them

It's a REALLY bad idea for a Doc because a bigass chunk of the cast all this creepy fanfic is being written about are actual real people who are literally 15 years old. Like, not a scripted thing or playing characters. Just teens recording themselves playing Minecraft and having it go viral.

Actually I probably should say they were 15 when the series actually happened and was recorded since it's a couple years old now. It was a video series of literal teenagers having screaming meltdowns at each other over Minecraft and spawned a gigantic loving fandom of people who were also literal teenagers who then proceeded to have screaming meltdowns over a video series of literal teenagers having screaming meltdowns about Minecraft.

It's a rabbit hole that is very, VERY much better left alone.

Antivehicular posted:

I lurk on Archive of Our Own a lot, because I'm a crap hound, and the "most recently posted" listing is always covered in incredibly overwrought fanfiction about this Minecraft thing,

Hey buddy, I just wanted to let you know that you're seen and you're not alone in this pit. Hard to tell if the current fad is better or worse than One Direction and BTS clogging up every loving goddamn tag. :)

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 13, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

a dozen swans posted:

Nah, that’s harmless as far as big grifts go but a lot of multimillion dollar scams have far reaching collateral damage. Andrew Wakefield, Alex Jones, etc

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think I'll give up on the 9cl doc. The comic isn't too toxic for F Plus or Extra Credit. But at this point in my life, it's too toxic for me.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

RandomPauI posted:

I think I'll give up on the 9cl doc. The comic isn't too toxic for F Plus or Extra Credit. But at this point in my life, it's too toxic for me.

Bummer to hear, but I understand. It's a particular type of skeeze that isn't hilarious but is unsettling to read constantly.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
for fans of episode 126, Acquire the Spiritual Energy of a Tiny Dead Pharaoh, the podcast Oh No, Ross and Carrie is currently doing a deep dive on Pyradyne and Fred Bell

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

The moment his name came up on the Ross and Carrie episode some part of my brain immediately connected it to corresponding F Plus episode despite not having relistened to it in years. Thank you, brain.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
pie radyne

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

a dozen swans posted:

it's this. the future of parasocial relationships is creators scamming the poo poo out of their audiences constantly, who will willfully give up their money but still keep loving the person who robbed them.

we see this already with crypto schemes like faze clan save the kids token. People want to be scammed, it makes them feel closer personally to their favorite content creator.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
It's remarkable how mentally ill capitalism has made literally everyone

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

miniscule12 posted:

it's this. the future of parasocial relationships is creators scamming the poo poo out of their audiences constantly, who will willfully give up their money but still keep loving the person who robbed them.

Many not-scammy podcasts I like are all getting merched-up, it's almost a required part of the podcaster lifestyle because there are no real jobs anymore. Who can blame them, there's literally no other way out.

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's remarkable how mentally ill capitalism has made literally everyone

When value is reduced to what you can buy and sell, yeah everything breaks. Sociopaths with no empathy running everything will have that effect.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

ewe2 posted:

Many not-scammy podcasts I like are all getting merched-up, it's almost a required part of the podcaster lifestyle because there are no real jobs anymore. Who can blame them, there's literally no other way out.
This is one of the things I really appreciate about The F Plus. It comes out whenever people can finish editing an episode, there aren't any ads, the merch that comes out of it is weird as gently caress and explicitly non-profit. It makes no bones about being a passion project and, in the age of Bluechew and Squarespace and monetizing your friendships and hobbies because that's the end goal right, that's refreshing.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Squarespace is not a lawfirm

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Is squarespace a law firm?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
BONOBOS!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I wonder if Lemon has gotten serious offers to run ads. There probably is some company that wouldn't mind having their ad in the dickbugs episode, just to name one at random.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

A Moose posted:

I wonder if Lemon has gotten serious offers to run ads. There probably is some company that wouldn't mind having their ad in the dickbugs episode, just to name one at random.

Manscaped and Blue Chew run ads on cum-focused podcasts all the time, I don't think they'd care

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I would like an Extreme Restraints sponsored episode where they read reviews of Extreme Restraints.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
I'd accept ads for sex toys or whatever at the start of the pod in exchange for a steady release schedule. They're never gonna read the entire internet at this rate

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
:chloe:

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

RandomPauI posted:

I would like an Extreme Restraints sponsored episode where they read reviews of Extreme Restraints.

Ad before or after the readings?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

tokin opposition posted:

I'd accept ads for sex toys or whatever at the start of the pod in exchange for a steady release schedule. They're never gonna read the entire internet at this rate

A steady release schedule that results in everyone getting burnt out and not having fun would be much worse than the current release schedule. Only making an episode when 1) there is a good doc, and 2) there are enough people available who want to read seems like one of the biggest keys to how the show has stayed so good for so long.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Yeah I'm a blue Shrek, guy
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵
Besides, haven't they been releasing episodes more frequently since the pandemic began anyway?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Besides, haven't they been releasing episodes more frequently since the pandemic began anyway?

Ehhh, they’ve been doing the “regular releases every week for two months then slowing down” thing on and off for a while.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Extra credit slots nicely into that "like the fplus but more frequent" slot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

A steady release schedule that results in everyone getting burnt out and not having fun would be much worse than the current release schedule. Only making an episode when 1) there is a good doc, and 2) there are enough people available who want to read seems like one of the biggest keys to how the show has stayed so good for so long.

Given the length of time it's been running the number of casualties has been amazingly low.