Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Don't forget Elton Skahn and his hit single "Skandle in the Wind"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

Yes they do, and (anticipating your next couple of questions) yes they always have terribly jarring edits, and yes he always screeches like his balls are caught in a vise.
I'm not surprised! When he was regularly upping his poast count on the Portal of Evil forums (R.I.P.), he was the gift that kept on giving, or the diaper that kept on leaking. The blue sunglasses...the $4,000 hat...the Dairy Queen obsession...the adult-baby-themed RPG Maker game...such marvelous memories. :allears:

Oh my god! I had completely forgotten about the hat!

The Dairy Queen stuff was brilliant: The entire idea that someone would lie about being the manager of the Dairy Queen they worked at to strangers on the internet was just so beautiful.

I think it says a lot about Moulton's sheer incompetence that he still seems to believe Flash is a viable tool for website coding...

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

So did Lemon really just waste 10 bucks on some random blowjob hollering at his mic all for the sake of a joke? Man, he coulda bought a relatively decent fast food meal with that scratch.

Correction: $20

If you go to the site there's also a Thanks, Stog jingle

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

It never ceases to amaze me the degree to which people will identify themselves by the media they consume. Now I think it's a fairly normal human behaviour to do this to a certain extent (We bond with people over shared interests after all) but when you're saying to yourself "This is my wedding day: The one day in my life where I get to celebrate the union between me and the person I love...Let's make it all about this TV Show I like!" I think you're taking things way too far.

It's a really sad pitfall that a lot of nerdy types fall into: They don't seem to have an identity beyond the things they consume.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Tracula posted:

If you keep up with internet critics at all a good deal of them have started up Patreons which is well and good but a lot of it is because ad revenue is in the toilet. When/if Patreon goes bust well...

Didn't that Nostalgia Critic guy quit his job in the most flamboyant way possible when he was making bank off ad revenue? What happened with that? I'm assuming nothing good.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

I feel like the exasperation is less aimed at Patreon itself and more at the "Hey, fund my life" attitude the subjects being read represented. It's anger at people not really putting in the effort into a creative endeavour and expecting that they deserve to receive enough money to quit their job. And the recurring theme throughout all of these was that the creators wanted to just live off Patreon contributions in their ideal world.

It brings to mind this one furry webcomic that made the rounds in internet mock circles about a decade ago called "Perki Goth and Candi Raver". It was a terrible, furry, Zim-fed pile of crap with maybe thirty pages uploaded to it at the time and the authour decided he was obviously well established enough that he decided to start a donation drive on his site to get his readers (All two dozen of them) to donate enough money for him to quit his job and go to art school. He even had a big thermometer-styled chart showing how much he'd raised.

That's basically what so infuriating about the people featured in this episode: They're expecting a, quite frankly, ridiculous amount of money without having actually put in the work. There were a few exceptions featured in the episode of people who had actually made a lot of poo poo but for the most part most of the people in this episode didn't really have all that much to show. It comes back to the old "talk is cheap" adage and everyone on the internet wants to be an artist or a writer but no one wants to actually draw or write, they just want the success that comes with it.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Added Space posted:

:words:

Not really. Violence requires an intent to harm. The people never harmed or intended to harm any person as far as I could tell. They never intended to destroy the objects of their affection, simply arrange things so they were more convenient. There was another F-Plus which did feature people getting sexual gratification from destroying toys, the language was quite different. Even then there was no evidence of intent to harm towards any person, only inanimate objects.

What these people experience is a fantasy they are engaged with to an unhealthy degree, similar to godspouses. It's a common claim that people too involved in fantasy become violent, but there is little consistent evidence of this. Even when the fantasy itself is violent (the old canard about violent video games producing super-violent teens) there seems to be little crossover into actual violence. People who like to fantasize remain in their fantasies, and people who like to be violent commit violence, and there's relatively little overlap. A person with a taste for one finds little sustenance in the other.

They even explained in the episode the excuses the person would make: turn off the fantasy for a few minutes, imagine it as harmless cosmetic surgery, etc. They are probably not framing the act mentally as violent. "Oh, but couldn't they easily do that to people as well as plush?" you exclaim. Not really - their plush companion is almost entirely a voluntary mental construct in their own mind, which they imagine is eager to go along with all this. The object itself provides very little sensory feedback and no resistance. A human would be pumping out lots of sensory feedback which would be sending powerful "STOP THAT" signals to the offender's brain, and presumably quite a bit of resistance.

Now it's possible that a person could get off on the resistance and sensory feedback of violence - there are certainly people who do. However, if that's what got them off, that's what they would fantasize about. If they were interested in violence, they wouldn't be bothering with this plush nonsense.

Now there are kinds of mental illness, most famously schizophrenia, which do involve imagined other personalities and which do often lead to violence. However, that's not what's happening here. Plush lovers have all the hallmarks of fantasy, where their imagined lovers agree with them, are comforting and supportive, and can be turned off at will. Schizophenics are highly disturbed by voices they can't control, which are often perceived as threatening and abusive, and cannot be ignored or turned off.

The only way I can see to get from "They cut a piece of cloth, therefore they would stab a human" is either to make the unsupported claim that fantasy leads to violence, or to commit to the fallacy of composition by saying "Some mentally ill people are violent, therefore all mentally ill people are violent."

edit: vvvv I'm not saying that they would be pleasant to be around, that anyone should enter a relationship with them, or that it's not right to make fun of them. Just that they're not secretly serial killers. :shrug:

Or maybe it's just that these guys are really creepy and the amount of times they use the word 'mother' is reminiscent of Norman Bates. Because I don't think anyone besides you is bringing up the idea that plushophiles cutting a gently caress hole in a stuffed animal is going to lead to them doing it in real life...

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

kalensc posted:

I can remember the exchange but not what it leads into, dang.

Is it the crying at a movie / not crying back-to-back bits?

That had one of Lemon's Boots impressions but the original was in the Sherlock episode when Lemon was reading a bit from the cuddlesutra (I can't even type that word without being angry).

Also can I just say that the GoFundMe people in this episode are probably the single most contemptible of the crowdfunding subjects features on the podcast? The fact that they're basically co-opting a site that's ostensibly made for charity stuff in order to try and get free money for magyckal bee school is just a low I didn't think it was possible to achieve.

What is it with hippy dippy new age types and bees anyway?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Maerlyn posted:

I didn't really get squicked out until that dude mentioned using his pee as salad dressing.

Of all the people drinking their own piss in this episode, that guy was truly the one who was the most into it.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Imagine your fave drinking from a water fountain while wearing a clown costume!
Imagine your fave is covered in grape jelly and trying to ask for directions at an airport!
Imagine your fave eating a laptop!
Imagine your fave having too much to drink at the Christmas party and being fired for making racially insensitive comments to Amir from accounting!
Imagine your fave's face being replaced by their butt and their butt being replaced by Archie Bunker's face!
Imagine your fave wandering alone in a post apocalyptic wasteland when they come across a forgotten mascot costume that comes to life and they have wacky adventures together!
Imagine your fave being eaten by a really big taco that gets bad diarrhoea from your fave!
Imagine your fave getting really angry at you for eating their tapioca pudding from the fridge, I mean it had their name on it and was clearly on their side of the fridge!
Imagine your fave going for a big interview and when they get to the building the only living things inside are a bunch of ostriches!
Imagine your fave wearing a cardboard box on their head and declaring themselves Boxman the Guy with a Box on their head!
Imagine your fave having all their bones surgically replaced with water balloons!
Imagine your fave smuggling cocaine for the mob and having to go through customs!
Imagine your fave filing thier taxes and eating toast!
Imagine your fave has been replaced with a velociraptor and no one seems to notice except you!
Imagine your fave animated in the style of the 1960s Spider-Man cartoon!
Imagine your fave riding around in a tiny car that has legs instead of wheels!
Imagine your fave filing a restraining order against your creepy rear end after reading all these weird masturbation fantasies you've come up with!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

No, it doesn't. They spend the first 20 minutes talking about nothing but rape lore.

"The 'mild mental trauma' of RAPE. OF RAPE."

"Hey, rape and enslavement now."

Yeah, I think the only major thing about Pokegirls the episode glossed over was the casual misogyny that was hard-baked into the worldbuilding, and the amount of thought that went into the sexual mind control poo poo.

In terms of episodes that are too extreme to get a re-listen from me, it's pretty much limited to the afore-mentioned "Imagine Your Fave" one because vomit stuff is my line too far. Keep in mind that I keep the plushfucker, f-list and garbage fetish episodes on my regular listening rotation and was the stream artist for the zit fetish segment of the most recent 24 Terrible Hours.

And as a collaborator on the document for the most recent episode I would just like to inform you all that you dodged a bullet because that site goes to some very uncomfortable places that were not touched on in the episode!