Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Disney owns ABC, too, so there could be some television stuff in the pipeline

Edit: or pod racing on ESPN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jefferoo posted:

In the beginning, the Disney guy acknowledged the "17,000" characters in the Star Wars universe. So the EU will certainly be tapped.

THRAWN. THRAWN. THRAAAAWWWWN!

Yuuzhan Vong! Force Planet! MOON ON WOOKIE ACTION!

Aatrek posted:

I would watch the gently caress out of this.

Will Of The Wisp
Jan 27, 2009
End of the world 2012, need that dough to get a working Millenium Falcon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Time Warner had better scramble to buy Battlestar Galactica.

Edit: My 501st friends are freaking the gently caress out because they think Disney will crack the gently caress down on them.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm glad Lucas is reduced to "Creative Consultant" but half of that $4B payment is coming in stock, which means he's a pretty large stockholder now since he owned 100% of Lucasfilm. He'll still have a little bit of pull, but nothing like he used to.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
They should have skipped Episode 7-9 and started with Episode 10.

Aatrek posted:

Disney owns ABC, too, so there could be some television stuff in the pipeline

Weren't they already in pre-production on a Star Wars TV show?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Gene Roddenberry was a 'creative consultant' on the first six Star Trek films. Star Trek II, for example, was so good because Nick Meyer didn't listen to anything he said.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
The loving nerd asking about 3d and gaming on the conference call is making me want to kill myself.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Awesome Welles posted:

At least if it's terrible we'll have a new Plinkett video to look forward to.

This! This is a win-win situation, either we get a Star Wars movie that is on par with the original 3 or we get another disaster to rake over the coals. :neckbeard:

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Steamboat Willie in: Mickey and Minnichlorians

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I am pretty excited about this, if it separates George Lucas from Star Wars and lets some fresh ideas in. I liked Avengers though, so I have a more positive spin on things.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I can't even count the number of ways this could go wrong. Or right. Or utterly bizarre. I will remain optimistic for now, and hope that Kingdom Hearts III goes bananas on the side.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
:siren: Facebook/Social games confirmed :siren:

Bringing you the breaking news from the conference call, I am.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Teek posted:

Was there anything said about why the company was sold? Obviously it was probably $$$, but I didn't know if they were financially unsound or if they were just getting out while the getting was good.
I'm betting Lucas just cashed out.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

Rhyno posted:

Time Warner had better scramble to buy Battlestar Galactica.

Please don't give those assclowns any ideas. I just dumped TW, and am watching BG on Netflix. TW are total douches when it comes to rights (aka no Lakers B-ball anywhere except their lovely cable system).

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Wazzit posted:

Weren't they already in pre-production on a Star Wars TV show?

Supposedly they already had a ton of scripts or script outlines for the new TV series in the pipeline, but they didn't have any super interested networks involved. This seems like the type of thing which would push it over the edge, pair it with SHIELD's second season on ABC.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Any new movie can NOT be worse than Phantom Menace so gently caress yes, great news! Now gimme the originals on DVD and I die happy

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Teek posted:

Supposedly they already had a ton of scripts or script outlines for the new TV series in the pipeline, but they didn't have any super interested networks involved. This seems like the type of thing which would push it over the edge, pair it with SHIELD's second season on ABC.

They were claiming something like 50 scripts written but were "waiting for the technology to catch up" so they could do it on TV. AKA, bullshit excuse.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Can we please have a Howard the Duck sequel? One is long overdue, i'm not even kidding about this.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Teek posted:

Was there anything said about why the company was sold? Obviously it was probably $$$, but I didn't know if they were financially unsound or if they were just getting out while the getting was good.

They just "answered" this question in the call. Apparently Lucas starting thinking about retirement from Lucasfilm 5 years ago, and decided now was the time. Not likely that there were any financial difficulties at Lucasfilm that caused it.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Disney-Pixar-Lucasfilm Presents: Padawan, with the voices of Emma Stone, Albert Brooks, Joan Cusack, and John Ratzenberger (with music by Randy Newman)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also of note is that all post production facilities (Skywalker Sound, ILM) are included. Turnkey infrastructure!

Pyros
Mar 24, 2003

The Leper Messiah

Tetrix posted:

They just "answered" this question in the call. Apparently Lucas starting thinking about retirement from Lucasfilm 5 years ago, and decided now was the time. Not likely that there were any financial difficulties at Lucasfilm that caused it.

Plus, isn't Lucas part of that pact to give at least 50% of his wealth to charity when he passes away? I can't imagine he actively needs the money or anything right now.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
There's no reason they can't draw from the best stuff in the EU like Thrawn, the Vong, and Wedge being a badass, while still avoiding the most embarassing parts like Kiliks, and Luuke, and that giant rabbit that Han fueded with. Oh God, I better not start this list because it will never end.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Two questions:

1. Does this include Howard the Duck?

2. Can we get Howard the Duck in Avengers 2?

:getin:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Mark Hamill is the only cast member who doesn't loving hate the franchise.

I think you underestimate the sheer amount of money Disney can throw around.

Solvarn
Dec 28, 2009
Does this mean Leia is a Disney Princess now?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Muppets sequel can now do Pigs in Space in style.

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN
I would love it if they say something in the film about midichlorians not having anything to do with "the force".

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I think this is great news. Bob Iger is the man. He's 2/2 with Pixar and Marvel, this seems like another slam dunk.

I find your lack of faith... disturbing. :stare:

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Two questions:

1. Does this include Howard the Duck?

2. Can we get Howard the Duck in Avengers 2?

:getin:

At LAST

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012
Get ready for Star Wars: Episode VII - On Galaxy's Edge, directed by Gore Verbinski and featuring Johnny Depp as Chewbacca.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Actually, this means we could get a SW movie by BRAD BIRD.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

XCPuff posted:

I would love it if they say something in the film about midichlorians not having anything to do with "the force".

They look straight at the audience and say, "No."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Video of a Lucas interview from Oct. 19th has been released, where Lucas talks about the future of Star Wars. He talks about the Disney acquisition in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyqlTi7lkhY

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Solvarn posted:

Does this mean Leia is a Disney Princess now?

:laffo:

Aatrek posted:

Actually, this means we could get a SW movie by BRAD BIRD.

Andrew Stanton's R2-D2.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I think you underestimate the sheer amount of money Disney can throw around.

Calling it now. They get Zemeckis on the line to do it with all of the original actors, but CGI rotoscoping to hide how decrepit they've all become in 30+ years.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Did they also get Lucasarts?

Battlefront 3? A new Tie Fighter? Indiana Jones adventure games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

MichiganCubbie posted:

Did they also get Lucasarts?

Yes.

• Locked thread